PDA

View Full Version : Radio

Heavvyduty
05-14-2014, 07:53 PM
OK guy's went and test rode the F6B today, I have a Stratoliner now.My 2nd one an like it very much, But been looking for something different.The F6B had a 17in windshield on it.The ride an power were very nice, There were no air buffeting or turbulence an the heated grips were also nice today.. But here's my gripe .. Had the Radio all the way up on 30 an could not here it going 40mph or faster, whats up with that. Even just setting there with the bike off, the volume at 30 sucked. Even the sale's person was surprised at how low volume was.We checked a reg Goldwing an it doz,nt even compare.Are you guys adding amp's or are there maybe something wrong , it was the only F6B there, so had nothing to compare it too.If it wasn't for the volume of the radio I would have brought it TODAY, It is not a windshield problem know that for a fact.

choptop
05-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Don't understand that. I have a windshield only a couple of inches taller than stock and at 60 mph w/volume at 23, I can hear the music pretty good.

Texas TC
05-14-2014, 08:13 PM
I agree. I have the Honda OEM 16 3/4" windshield and never turn my volume over 18 even on our Texas highways riding at 75-80 mph speed limits. Are you sure the mute button was not on?

Gperson
05-14-2014, 08:27 PM
+1 on checking the mute button......:yes:
If that is/was the problem your dealer should be given a serious ass kicking:spank:

With the avc on, my volume is set to no more than 16 running 65-70mph.
If your dealer pushes what he thinks is the mute button and the horn blows....run as fast as you can to another Honda dealer :icon_biggrin:

Please update us on what the problem was.
Good luck!

Ride safe,
G

smokinjoe187
05-14-2014, 08:29 PM
OK guy's went and test rode the F6B today, I have a Stratoliner now.My 2nd one an like it very much, But been looking for something different.The F6B had a 17in windshield on it.The ride an power were very nice, There were no air buffeting or turbulence an the heated grips were also nice today.. But here's my gripe .. Had the Radio all the way up on 30 an could not here it going 40mph or faster, whats up with that. Even just setting there with the bike off, the volume at 30 sucked. Even the sale's person was surprised at how low volume was.We checked a reg Goldwing an it doz,nt even compare.Are you guys adding amp's or are there maybe something wrong , it was the only F6B there, so had nothing to compare it too.If it wasn't for the volume of the radio I would have brought it TODAY, It is not a windshield problem know that for a fact.
mute botton must be on or the fader set to the rear..

Scotrod
05-14-2014, 08:51 PM
mute botton must be on or the fader set to the rear..

Yup. :yes:

It should sound very similar to a sim year goldwing with the fader set full 'front' (Rear speakers 'off')

Former Strat owner here, NO regrets!

Slingah
05-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Mute is on and dealer is a _________. :yikes:

Ericb445
05-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Yep mute button or fader....find a new dealer. I too owned two Strats great bikes but the 6 is way more fun.
I could hear mine just fine with stock windshield till about 80 then it was a little weak.

Tedubya
05-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Just traded Roadliner for F6B. Only regret is having to pay double the insurance.
Had to be the Mute button. I have Rush pipes and can still hear tunes at 80mph.

Elin in So. Cal.
05-14-2014, 11:50 PM

Maybe you had the "Mute" button on?

bobo
05-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Check all the radio settings, bike not even moving there should be lots of volume, mute button is pushed in make sure auto volume is on, i have no problem hearing radio at 120 km per hour.

Heavvyduty
05-15-2014, 08:25 AM
There going to get back with me today. If the MUTE button was push in there would be no sound rite? We did have volume but very low, Im thinking now it mite be the fader button hope so, really do like this bike..batman-smilie.

TitansFan
05-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Ditto what everyone else said.
I have the standard optional taller windshield and can hear the stereo fine at 10-14 at highway (but not interstate) speeds. In the neighborhood I keep it at 8 or below to not be too annoying to the neighbors. I did notice that playing music through the USB plug seems a little louder than the FM radio.

TitansFan
05-15-2014, 08:27 AM
There going to get back with me today. If the MUTE button was push in there would be no sound rite? We did have volume but very low, Im thinking now it mite be the fader button hope so, really do like this bike..batman-smilie.

There is still a little sound with the mute button pushed.

austin_tech
05-15-2014, 09:33 AM

Guarantee the mute was on. You get a little sound with mute on. Turning up the volume to 30 would clip the audio and probably blow the speakers. I've never had mine above 20, that's very loud and rough.

All that aside, the sound system on this bike sucks. I rode an Indian Chieftain at a dealer recently, that stereo has 100W per channel and the sound was kick ass rocking -- made me realize how crappy the speakers/sound is on the F6 even at low or no speed. I'm not a big time audiophile or stereo snob, but the stock audio blows on this bike compared to other stocks.

Scotrod
05-15-2014, 10:19 AM
the stock audio blows on this bike compared to other stocks.

:icon_biggrin:

Yeah, but because its a HONDA, it will probably 'blow' for 20 yrs or more!!! LOL!!!

Been thinking about upgrading to the J+M replacements, but I really don't use the bike speakers,,, ever,,,

Been experimenting with in-helmet speakers, / amp, but still not real 'excited' about tunes,,,

I've had some pretty decent audio systems in my cars over the years,,, I'm a little 'older' now, and no real way to achieve the depth/quality of my old car systems on any bike, so,,, :shrug:

98valk
05-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Ditto on the mute button.

I don't know why some people complain about the stock audio system. It puts out 80 watts per channel and has four channels! That's a potential 320 watts! That's assuming the rear speakers have the same impedance as the fronts.

Even if the rear speakers are 4 ohm, you would still have a total of 260 watts. That's more than my home stereo.

I did just recently verify this. The amp is putting out almost 40v pk to pk. That is about 14v RMS per channel. You can do the math from there depending on the speakers used.

As far as sound quality; how much does it really matter going 60-80 down the road with wind, road and other vehicle noise? Thumbs up for the Honda stereo! :yes:

six2go
05-15-2014, 10:34 AM
The bike that I did my demo ride on was the same way(very weak). I didn't think much of it because I was gonna get one anyway. When I took delivery of mine and dealer was giving me the tour of all the features, he showed me how to adjust the settings for the audio system. At that time he said that the mute would kill about 80% of the volume. We set mine with the fade on full front, AVC on high,MUTE OFF, boosted the treble a bit from flat and I have all the sound I want, even up to 70mph+. The noise is in there, you just have to let it out. I think the magazine road testers don't have a clue about the adjustments either as they all complain about losing sound above 40mph.
FWIW, I always ride with foam earplugs and my Shoei Neotec Modular helmet closed up and I can still hear the audio just fine. I also have a Cee Baileys 11" windshield.

opas ride
05-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Yep, something is "goofed" somewhere...I ride with a 3/4 face Shoei with ear covers in helmet, 19" Baggershield and I can hear the Stereo just fine...Hope you find the problem and I damn sure would not let a stereo sound keep me from buying an F6B!!!

F6BPDX
05-15-2014, 12:11 PM
The best is when you have the volume at 20 or so on the ride home and mute it when you roll in the garage, and then the next morning you un-mute it and forget how loud it was and it about knocks you off the bike at 6:30am. :yikes:

unsub
05-15-2014, 12:15 PM

Hey there heavyduty, what everyone else said about the mute button and the fade settings. I'd like to add this, if there is another F6B in the showroom try that radio [without riding] and compare. There could be a deficiency in the one you tried.

MinnetonkaMike
05-15-2014, 12:21 PM
+1 on checking the mute button......:yes:
If that is/was the problem your dealer should be given a serious ass kicking:spank:

With the avc on, my volume is set to no more than 16 running 65-70mph.
If your dealer pushes what he thinks is the mute button and the horn blows....run as fast as you can to another Honda dealer :icon_biggrin:

Please update us on what the problem was.
Good luck!

Ride safe,
G

+1 to this post. I usually don't have to go above 17 with AVC on. I can hear just fine at 65-75mph.

austin_tech
05-15-2014, 01:34 PM
As far as sound quality; how much does it really matter going 60-80 down the road with wind, road and other vehicle noise? Thumbs up for the Honda stereo! :yes:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Try a ride on a bike with a good stereo and you'll understand, at any speed. The difference is that big.

Don't mean to upset anyone on that. I still love the bike. Do I have to love everything about the bike? Some of you groan on end about the paint and I could care less. Also, watts mean nothing if the output sucks. Maybe the speaker upgrade is worth a look ...

mielelaw
05-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Call Track n Trail in State College, Pa. They have 3 new ones in crates and the best prices around ($16,300.00 for deluxe, $15,300.00 for base out the door - did not include sales tax or registration since I live out of state). Worth the 470 mile round trip (rode my trade there) as the bset price in New Jersey was $2,000.00 more.

Bought 1 there last week, rode the bike home 235 miles with stock ws. Had radio on 20 and could hear when at lower speeds through my full face.

Heavvyduty
05-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Well just got back(MUTE) button was the fix..By the way the salesman was a salesgirl LOL.. she just started Monday she said.. An was very sorry about not knowing much about this bike..She paid for my wife an Mine,s lunch today...as they were prepping my NEW to me F6B.
Used F6B Delux in Black 3000mi New Ws an Foot pegs ,Rider's back rest 100$ in free gas for the hassle an 3 free oil change's.16000$ out the door.. SO HOW DID I DO. .batman-smilie. :041: :041: :041:

Dave Ritsema
05-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Well just got back(MUTE) button was the fix..By the way the salesman was a salesgirl LOL.. she just started Monday she said.. An was very sorry about not knowing much about this bike..She paid for my wife an Mine,s lunch today...as they were prepping my NEW to me F6B.
Used F6B Delux in Black 3000mi New Ws an Foot pegs ,Rider's back rest 100$ in free gas for the hassle an 3 free oil change's.16000$ out the door.. SO HOW DID I DO. .batman-smilie. :041: :041: :041:

Ya did real good, congrats!
Was in your hometown twice over the years to pick up my new Checkmates. Do they still make them there or did they move it to China or something?
Oh..and Welcome!

miramiramira
05-15-2014, 03:03 PM
The best is when you have the volume at 20 or so on the ride home and mute it when you roll in the garage, and then the next morning you un-mute it and forget how loud it was and it about knocks you off the bike at 6:30am. :yikes:

For Real!

Scotrod
05-15-2014, 03:24 PM
WELCOME TO THE FOLD, HeavyD! :yes:

Ixol Phaane
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM

NIIIIICE!! :congrats:
Keep her "wheels down" and enjoy!

racer
05-15-2014, 04:04 PM

MUTE will get you....

smokinjoe187
05-15-2014, 04:41 PM

congrats!!
man you are gonna love this bike,if you add an ipod to the bag it is the perfect option for you musical listening pleasure and controls perfect .
instructions are in the book which is filled with great helpful info!!
Ride safe!

Heavvyduty
05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Ya did real good, congrats!
Was in your hometown twice over the years to pick up my new Checkmates. Do they still make them there or did they move it to China or something?
Oh..and Welcome!

We had checkmate an Baha boats at one time.. I think there still doing something with the Baha boats not sure on checkmate

Mike B
05-16-2014, 03:11 AM
We had checkmate an Baha boats at one time.. I think there still doing something with the Baha boats not sure on checkmate

Checkmate is still in business, I was working at Baja when they were sold to Reggie Fountain in Carolina. Welcome to the F6B world, I live in Galion and have had my F6 for a year now, Love it! Perhaps we will run into each other this summer, if it ever get's here!

Heavvyduty
05-16-2014, 05:03 AM
Checkmate is still in business, I was working at Baja when they were sold to Reggie Fountain in Carolina. Welcome to the F6B world, I live in Galion and have had my F6 for a year now, Love it! Perhaps we will run into each other this summer, if it ever get's here!

I knew one of them were still doing something lol, Small world im in Galion all the time at the (AM Legion). I live just out past Burkhart farm supply .If you see a big O guy on a F6B.. It,s probably me lol. I also kept my Startoliner .

Paul B Blues
05-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Well guys I just got back from my first ride out with music :headbang: I had the stereo up around 14 and I could hear it all nice and loud. I also had ear plugs in, but I was wearing my open face helmet. I treated the good folk of Aviemore and Inverness to some tracks from Buddy Guy!!!

Paul B......:icon_cool:

CaptRob
05-17-2014, 07:31 PM
1+ on mute button. When I did my test ride I almost didn't buy because I thought the radio sucked. I found the mute button 10 minutes later without help from salesman!

hoglaw
04-01-2015, 07:16 PM
When I was shopping for my F6B I asked the salesman how to turn off the radio. He dicked around with it awhile and then said: "I remember...just turn down the volume". I asked the same question at the next dealership and got the same answer. You would think these idiots would read the owner's manual during their down time.