PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS?

Rustysocket
05-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Looking to mount a GPS on my F6B. Tried to do a search to see what has been done but the search engine is fighting with me tonight.

Let me see what you guys have done.

Steve 0080
05-15-2014, 01:46 AM
Here ya go…..http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=173

ghostrider
05-15-2014, 06:50 AM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?377-I-m-affraid-to-ride-my-bike-now-(&

This is what I have. Go to last post.

F6BPDX
05-15-2014, 12:30 PM
I run a Zumo 665, I like it alot but it is certainly spendy. Living in a wet climate and riding year round, wanting spoken directions to my helmet, plus wanting XM radio, made it the most logical choice for me.

ghostrider
05-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Wait!! Omg I posted my radar detector!!!!! Hahahaha

Sorry for the brain fart:(

I have a Nuvi 550 "brain fart"

F6BPDX
05-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Wait!! Omg I posted my radar detector!!!!! Hahahaha

Sorry for the brain fart:(

I have a Nuvi 550 "brain fart"

Man, that sometimers disease is setting in early for ya huh? :crazy2::301:

Rustysocket
05-16-2014, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the links....

Looks like my next question (radar) is answered as well.

luckyluciano
05-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Anyone own a Garmin Zumo? 660lm? 665lm? What's your experience?

Hornblower
05-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Anyone own a Garmin Zumo? 660lm? 665lm? What's your experience?

In this thread alone, F6BPDX has already mentioned using the Zumo 665. I also have that unit. Certainly, if the Zumo line is within your budget, go for it! I have also run a couple of Nuvi's previously but was always concerned about getting them wet. In addition, I seem to recall reading the Zumo units are better at handling vibration. Depending on where you mount your GPS, vibration can become an issue. Also, if you're looking to add satellite radio, the 665 isn't a bad way to do it. Finally, the LM suffix means lifetime maps. Personally, I think that's a great addition and the Garmin Express tool has made updating Garmins far easier than it has ever been before. :clap2:

ghostrider
05-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Man, that sometimers disease is setting in early for ya huh? :crazy2::301:

Haha yes. Too many things going on at once at work.

ghostrider
05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the links....

Looks like my next question (radar) is answered as well.

I highly recomend radar detectors for these bikes. They should come standard!!! Too easy to go too fast on this bike.

And I'm proud to say I'm ticket free since owning one. :icon_biggrin:

ghostrider
05-16-2014, 10:15 AM
In this thread alone, F6BPDX has already mentioned using the Zumo 665. I also have that unit. Certainly, if the Zumo line is within your budget, go for it! I have also run a couple of Nuvi's previously but was always concerned about getting them wet. In addition, I seem to recall reading the Zumo units are better at handling vibration. Depending on where you mount your GPS, vibration can become an issue. Also, if you're looking to add satellite radio, the 665 isn't a bad way to do it. Finally, the LM suffix means lifetime maps. Personally, I think that's a great addition and the Garmin Express tool has made updating Garmins far easier than it has ever been before. :clap2:

The thing that drew me to the Nuvi 550 was it was waterproof, it ran on a battery and the screen worked well with gloves(which it does). When I bought mine they were discontinuing that model and could not see a replacement for it. I bought mine reconditioned and it works great. I really didn't want to spend $500 on a GPS as this was my first one. :icon_redface:

Rustysocket
05-17-2014, 01:00 AM
I highly recomend radar detectors for these bikes. They should come standard!!! Too easy to go too fast on this bike.

Will be looking into that as well.

FlatSixBagger
05-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Garmin Nuvi 40, made for a car but work great on a MC with the sucction cup even at triple digits! Had the same one for 3-4 years now and I ride in rain snow deserts etc...

CheckpointChcky
05-17-2014, 07:08 PM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 52..... You use a suction cup to secure this on your F6B? How and where?

FlatSixBagger
05-17-2014, 08:27 PM
I have not yet on the F6B, I will though once I get a tall shield I will see if the contour of the screen will hold the suction cup if not I will use velcro. On my Roadglide I stuck it to the gas tank panel, on my Classic I Velcro it the shield, speedo on my lowrider, and on pan-shovel to the gas tank have never had one fall of yet.

smokinjoe187
05-17-2014, 08:38 PM

shit you realize you just jinxed your self....

FlatSixBagger
05-17-2014, 08:43 PM
5771 pic of Garmin Suctioned to last touring bike on gas console.

choptop
05-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Just a pic of my battery powered Whistler and my non waterproof Garmin

unsub
05-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Anyone own a Garmin Zumo? 660

Yes, I like it very much. I've had it for 3+ years w/o issues. I use it in my cage and on my bike. It ships with a mount specific for both. Wiring, hardware[RAM mount kit included] all connect to the F6B in 20 minutes if you have all the correct pieces ready.

yellow rex
05-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Me and the wife use the zumo 660 because it is water proof
and I use the mp3 player , before the 660 we used the zumo 550.

luckyluciano
05-19-2014, 08:54 PM
what do you boys think of the 590? is it the newest?

F6BPDX
05-19-2014, 10:56 PM
what do you boys think of the 590? is it the newest?

Yep 590 just came out, not a whole lot of real world usage yet. The guys over at advrider.com have a thread going with a couple of early adopters. Seems to have some cool features if you want to integrate with a smart phone and Pandora radio.

Personally unless that stuff is a big deal to you I would use the 590's release as a way to watch out for killer deals on used 660 or 665 (same thing except the 665 has XM) as some guys update.

4bobo
10-16-2014, 08:57 PM
gspcity has the 590LM with 2 tire pressure monitors for $859.95. It appears to be an $80 savings.

This looks like a good deal to me. Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

shooter
10-17-2014, 07:19 AM
I use a Garmin 560 LMT Dezl. Its made to withstand tough usage and has all the features. Bluetooth etc. Its not waterproof. Has provisions for a back up camera. I've been thinking about adding one under the back to help in city traffic. The feature that attracted me to it is the powered cradle. I bought three extra cradles at 19 dollars each and mounted them on the other bike , car , and truck. The GPS just pops out and back in. Nothing to unplug. I stop and get off the bike I pop the Dezl out and put it in the cubby. Works good for me. I've had it two years and no problem.

2014F6BYELLOW
10-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Hi - I want to take the GPS from my car and quickly mount or remove it to the top of the gas tank as needed (I prefer not to mount it to the handle bars because I want to keep the handle bars clean and free of clutter). Does anyone know of a Velcro type (for quick & easy installation/removal) of accessory holder that can be wrapped around the fuel door? (you know, open the fuel door to install/remove the Velcro wrap-around-fuel-door holder and then close the fuel door to keep the holder in place while riding)

Has anyone seen anything like this or have another idea? If yes, please send me information, a link, a pic, etc. Very much appreciated!

Steve 0080
10-31-2014, 04:28 PM
We hve a couple of members that have done as you are saying,,, I would buy another cover for the glove box and do with it as you please...then switch back and forth.... $70 +- ?

choptop
04-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Ran a Nuvi, not waterproof, last year, would like to get a weather proof unit. Guy has a Zumo 550, good condition w/pieces and manual, 300.00 . Don't really want to spend the big bucks and don't need most of what they come with. Any one have a Zumo 550 and can elaborate on it? Thanks

zeus661
04-02-2015, 08:52 PM
I used a Nuvi 750 several years ago on a week long ride. It rained hard for three days and it was fine. I now use a Garmin Monterra which has a lot of features.

srt8-in-largo
04-02-2015, 09:48 PM
I *think* the Zumo 550 is a good performer. Be sure to check online reviews.

I used my Garmin Oregon for a while but could no longer deal with the small screen. Jumped up to the Zumo 590LM and couldn't be happier... but yeah, the price was a bitter pill.

Fla_rider
04-03-2015, 07:28 AM
This thread is like from a year ago!gpa-gma:icon_deadhorse::old:

srt8-in-largo
04-03-2015, 07:51 AM
I think ChopTop just wanted to post his question in a thread where a discussion was already happening :icon_biggrin:

choptop
04-03-2015, 05:35 PM
What srt8-in-largo said, didn't want to start another thread and someone always answers your question , no matter how old the thread is.:icon_biggrin:

choptop
04-03-2015, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=srt8-in-largo;70253]I *think* the Zumo 550 is a good performer. Be sure to check online reviews.

I used my Garmin Oregon for a while but could no longer deal with the small screen. Jumped up to the Zumo 590LM and couldn't be happier... but yeah, the price was a bitter pill.[/QUOTE

I read good things about the 590, a lot of neat gadgetry, don't know if I need it but I want it. We will see.

Travelor
04-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Looking to mount a GPS on my F6B. Tried to do a search to see what has been done but the search engine is fighting with me tonight.

Let me see what you guys have done.

Here's my solution. Couldn't find a dash mount so I made one myself. Using a Garmin 1450, one of the brighter screens. The mount worked out so well I made a bunch more. Mounts under the dash, no holes, no screws. Secured by 3M heavy duty emblem tape. 5,000 miles and no problems at all. If anyone is interested, I have them for sale in two sizes. 65mm mount for regular Garmin suction cup mounts, and 80 mm for some of the larger Tom Tom mounts. Includes a teather for your GPS so if the suction cup lets loose you don't lose the TPS. Here's a couple of pics.

Limoles
04-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Here's my solution. Couldn't find a dash mount so I made one myself. Using a Garmin 1450, one of the brighter screens. The mount worked out so well I made a bunch more. Mounts under the dash, no holes, no screws. Secured by 3M heavy duty emblem tape. 5,000 miles and no problems at all. If anyone is interested, I have them for sale in two sizes. 65mm mount for regular Garmin suction cup mounts, and 80 mm for some of the larger Tom Tom mounts. Includes a teather for your GPS so if the suction cup lets loose you don't lose the TPS. Here's a couple of pics.

Your ingenuity is highly appreciated and worth to follow . Thank you for heads up :congrats:

Vondawg
05-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Chop top
I use the 550 (2cd glove box,ram mount) I've had it a while and the only downside is as the new map updates come along, it takes more of the memory...thus less music can be loaded...so I've just hooked up an iPod in the trunk.

Fla_rider
05-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Ok that's fine I'll add my two cents then. Zumo is great, except for the price. Now we are talking mounting. All GPS's have suction cups and a flat puck. At first, I put the flat puck in front of my tach. This would block the tach but no biggy. The real issue is the lower you mount a screen device the higher you have to angle it to see it. When it is angled towards the sun the less you can see even with sun shade on it. My second choice which I'm sticking to for now is just above my vent on my clearview windscreen. This puts it at almost eye level and reflection from the sun is minimized. Yes I do use a sun shade device on the top of the gps. In this positon it is unlikely to get wet and being out of the wind I can hear it fine. Again the higher the mount the better the view!

So many Gps's out there under $100. Just realize mine doesn't do routes, so sometime in the future I'm going to have to spill the beans for a new one. Just got this one Nuvi 52, large screen and lane assist sure do make a difference. Of course power out of the left cubby.