PDA

View Full Version : Gradual Drift to the Right...

FlatSixBagger
05-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi guys and gals, just wondering if anyone here's bike pulls to right a little when they let go of the handle bars. Does not seem to do it at all with hand touching bars, have less than 500 miles on bike, bike has no loaded cargo. Wonder if it is a bike quirk or a possible tire issue, everything seem to line up right, it is a gradual drift right but at all speeds. Bike had less than a mile when purchased. Thank you! FlatSixBagger from CLE OH

motozeke
05-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Hi guys and gals, just wondering if anyone here's bike pulls to right a little when they let go of the handle bars. Does not seem to do it at all with hand touching bars, have less than 500 miles on bike, bike has no loaded cargo. Wonder if it is a bike quirk or a possible tire issue, everything seem to line up right, it is a gradual drift right but at all speeds. Bike had less than a mile when purchased. Thank you! FlatSixBagger from CLE OH

Keep in mind that almost no road is perfectly flat and level, for drainage purposes, and that pretty much every straight road is going to slope to the right of the crown. That said, I haven't noticed the phenomenon myself. Have you installed a fork brace?

FlatSixBagger
05-17-2014, 12:49 PM
I have not installed one yet but I will look into it, you maybe right on the road crown, I will ride in the left lane (where I know it is safe to do so and see if it drifts left), thanks for the reply.

opas ride
05-17-2014, 05:08 PM
What's the point in taking your hands off the bars??..Seems a little risky and somewhat dangerous on a 845lb motorcycle....JMHO.....

Hornblower
05-17-2014, 05:26 PM
What's the point in taking your hands off the bars??..Seems a little risky and somewhat dangerous on a 845lb motorcycle....JMHO.....

How about to check the natural balance of your bike?:shrug: It shouldn't be dangerous unless you decide not to grab the bars if something starts going South. If that happens, you have far more serious problems :yikes:

FlatSixBagger
05-17-2014, 06:22 PM
+1 Hornblower

Sorcerer
05-17-2014, 09:48 PM
If when you let go of the bars do you have a throddle lock or is the bike decelerating? If slowing you are dealing with engine torque along with road crown. Also what's in your saddle bags, empty or full of STUFF?

FlatSixBagger
05-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Letting go of throttle (decel), saddle bags empty and with no cargo.

bobbyf6b
05-17-2014, 10:43 PM
You're not crazy, mine does the same thing! (I thought I was crazy) I usually carry my heaviest cargo in the left saddlebag and/or plant my butt about an inch to the left. Does the trick. I can balance down the highway with the throttle lock on, like if I need to remove a glove and put it back on for example.

Scotrod
05-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Letting go of throttle (decel), saddle bags empty and with no cargo.

The bike is driving itself,,,

Empty, slowing down,, heck, it's just pullin over to the side thinkin it must be time to stop,,, :shock:

Scotrod
05-18-2014, 09:12 AM
The bike is driving itself,,,

Empty, slowing down,, heck, it's just pullin over to the side thinkin it must be time to stop,,, :shock:

Maybe it thinks he fell off? I believe PWC's do something similar when ya let go of the bars,,, :crackup:

Phantom
05-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Just a thought ....

The swing arm and rear drive are on the right side, the small amount of extra weight plus you possibly not sitting directly on center or leaning a little to the right when you remove your hands could cause the bike to slowly drift to the right. Anything is possible.

Fla_rider
05-20-2014, 07:29 PM
What pocket is your wallet in?:yikes: you will try not to sit on it, thus more weight on that side! Not Rocket Science here boys!

FlatSixBagger
05-20-2014, 07:42 PM
What pocket is your wallet in?:yikes: you will try not to sit on it, thus more weight on that side! Not Rocket Science here boys! I have a wallet in both pockets and main chain wallets on the left, lol. Reason I orginal ask was being this is 1st shaft bike and did not know if this a result of the torque from the shaft drive or a factory weight distribution within the motorcycle itself, or if I might have a slight scallop in one of my tires.

Dmoon64
05-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Funny. I just did this last night on my way home. Very slight pull to the right. Probably just a quirk of the setup. I'd bet the swingarm issue mentioned earlier is the main culprit.

I can fit about 4 six-packs in the saddle bags. I have to make sure they are balanced from now on.

bobbyf6b
05-21-2014, 12:32 PM
What pocket is your wallet in?:yikes: you will try not to sit on it, thus more weight on that side! Not Rocket Science here boys!

Wallet is in front pocket. :icon_razz:

Phantom
05-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Wallet is in front pocket. :icon_razz:

Maybe your peckerzilla monster is draped to the right and not straight? This could cause extra weight on the right side throwing the balance of the bike off :shrug: just saying :icon_redface: :biggthumpup: :tomatohit: :spank:

FlatSixBagger
05-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Funny. I just did this last night on my way home. Very slight pull to the right. Probably just a quirk of the setup. I'd bet the swingarm issue mentioned earlier is the main culprit.

I can fit about 4 six-packs in the saddle bags. I have to make sure they are balanced from now on.
I concur

jkelley
05-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Maybe your peckerzilla monster is draped to the right and not straight? This could cause extra weight on the right side throwing the balance of the bike off :shrug: just saying :icon_redface: :biggthumpup: :tomatohit: :spank:

LOL never had that problem.

I wouldn't worry about a slight drift, is it consistent? As long as the handle bars don't have any shake you should be good to go.

hossners
07-09-2014, 12:03 PM
I had a '81 wing prior to this. One could let go of the bars (w/ throttle lock) and cruise for blocks. the bike would respond to small shifts in my weight to correct any drift. I really have to sit far to the left to keep the F6B straight. Very odd.
Steve in OR

austin_tech
07-09-2014, 02:27 PM
It's the Coriolis Effect. This is a northern hemisphere phenomenon.

If you were in the southern hemisphere and took your hands off your 842lb bike at speed, you'd drift to the left.

motoman
07-09-2014, 11:10 PM
I also find myself becoming more conservative as I get older....

:icon_mrgreen:

Pap
07-10-2014, 07:56 AM
If you are somewhere that you can SAFELY ride on the other side of the road, see if it makes a difference.

SmallPasture
07-10-2014, 03:03 PM
I also find myself becoming more conservative as I get older....

:icon_mrgreen:

:lolup: I was wondering when that low hangin fruit was going to be taken! Love it!:icon_laugh: