PDA

View Full Version : 2013 F6B Deluxe Blackout

robertbalcom
06-02-2013, 07:42 PM
I was so annoyed with the finish that I just had the bike wrapped. It's wrapped in matte black, debadged and has had the rear side reflectors removed. I also smoked the turn signals and put a Cee Bailey 17 inch smoke windshield on it.

Thoughts?

TheShow
06-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Who wrapped that? Did you do it yourself and if so where did you get the kit? It looks freaking sweet! Nice work

gamersince1976
06-02-2013, 08:13 PM
:yes:

This looks awesome! And I'm going to second the request for MORE DETAILS on the wrapping.

F6B-RICH
06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I like it :thumb: Looks good.

Steve 0080
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Who ever did the wrap did a very nice job !!!

Batwing
06-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Very Nice!

slather1
06-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I also agree it looks nice!

chipmaker
06-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Was the bike dissasembled for the wrap? This may be a more cost effective change than paint. I have seen some sick 'vettes and Camaros wrapped out here.

Alberta Beagle
06-02-2013, 10:09 PM
It looks amazing but I would like to know where there made the cuts for the film.
If it was done in the bike it has surely puts ridge in the soft paint and Tupperware meaning if and when it is removed it won't be pretty.
Aside from that one concern I think it looks hot!!!!!
Would be nice to know an approximate cost for the wrap as well.

Beagle

MichaelG
06-03-2013, 12:05 AM
All I can say is...I LOVE IT !

Great job, and even better idea. Forget the flat black paint...I have a company in my area that does wraps like this, and I am going to see them tomorrow.

iafury6b
06-03-2013, 03:59 AM
Love It!!!! More details please. Has stealth bomber look to it.

gamersince1976
06-03-2013, 04:30 AM
All I can say is...I LOVE IT !

Great job, and even better idea. Forget the flat black paint...I have a company in my area that does wraps like this, and I am going to see them tomorrow.

Do you mind telling us how that goes Miles? I didn't see many places in my area - and the ones I did see looked pretty sketch. I'm planning on taking a short trip north soon anyway, so this would give me a good excuse.

chipmaker
06-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Here's a Porsche done in metallic blue flat wrap... would look nice on F6B.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/p480x480/381938_484845688204393_1977224769_n.jpg

MichaelG
06-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Do you mind telling us how that goes Miles? I didn't see many places in my area - and the ones I did see looked pretty sketch. I'm planning on taking a short trip north soon anyway, so this would give me a good excuse.

Gamer, I will keep you informed on this.:icon_cool:

TheShow
06-03-2013, 07:38 AM
I'd love to know more about it myself Miles. Please keep us all updated!

goldtahoe
06-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Def has the bomber look going .. personally I need to keep the "pop" going for mine ... but looks good though.

jkelley
06-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Looks great.

Include me in the wanting more information crowd.....

MNF6B
06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I found this product available from the folks at Armor All. It is a spray on color protector which can easily be removed.

It is worth a look.

http://www.aacustomshield.com

Rich

Steve 0080
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Kinda like Plasti Dip.......Will post a pic where I Plasti Dip some passenger floor boards......

MichaelG
06-04-2013, 06:21 PM
As a follow-up on the idea of wrapping the bike...the local shop I wernt to...Fusion Graphix said they would not want to do this bike, because it has too many nooks and crannies, crevices, etc. They tought it would be too difficult to end up with a good looking finish when all was said and done. I did tell them that someone had already had this done, and their answer was...they would like to see the finish up very close, to see how it came out.

So, we need to hear back from RobertBalcom, the original poster on this issue.

What they did tell me was...in their opinion, it would be good to spray the bike with plasti-dip. We talked at length about that, and I am going to check into it. I know several of you on this forum use plasti-dip for other applications, but I am SO old-school, that my image of plasti-dip was when we had a quart can of the red stuff, and we would dip the handles of our needle nose pliers into it. I guess...plasti-dip has come a long way since then.

Jte90049
06-04-2013, 10:14 PM
This is exactly what I am planning to do with mine. If you don't mind telling us, what kind of $ did it run you? It looks awesome!:bowdown:

iafury6b
06-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Until we hear back from op anyone else mind telling me what brand that windshield is on his bike... I know he says its a 17" cee baileys but looks more like a baggershield or something to me.

Alberta Beagle
06-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Looks just like the Baggershield I have on my bike.

Beagle

TheShow
06-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Well I guess we're not going to get anymore information on this......:banghead:

SpeedyWho
06-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Looks just like the Baggershield I have on my bike.

Beagle

Yep thats a Baggershield

Rhino Liner would be better than a Plastic dip stuff. Rhino would be pretty cool if they'd do it

F6B-RICH
06-09-2013, 07:13 AM
The only plus Plasti Dip has is if after a few months you do not like the color anymore ( they sell a bunch of colors now ) is you can peel it right off and
you are back to the stock bike color.Then if you want to try a different color you can have a different color F6B every year.I used Plasti Dip on truck
wheels and sprayed different parts on my Canam Spyder through out the years.Very easy to use.Home Depot always has black in stock and you can order other colors from them.

robertbalcom
06-10-2013, 10:58 AM
My bad guys on the slow response, I’ve been traveling a bunch for work and my daughter travels a bunch for softball. As for the windshield, I goofed on that one; I was working with multiple companies before I decided on one and misspoke. It’s the 17” smoke shield from BaggerShield.

Here’s the deal with the vinyl wrap. On vehicles with lots of compound curves, I would recommend an installer that has lots of experience. I would look at some of his prior work as well. A good installer can wrap just about anything. He actually did most of my stuff still attached (i.e fenders, front fairings and bags.) You can go on youtube and search vinyl motorcycle wrapping to see how guys stretch, heat and shrink over compound curves. The stuff is actually pretty amazing.

As far a cutting on the vehicle, my installer used cutting tape that’s very narrow and applied at an edge so that the vinyl can be cut without cutting on the surface. One the cut is made, the tape is pulled from underneath and the wrap is continued to the edge. The total cost for this was around $500. Cheap considering paint is much more expensive. Plus, since it’s kept inside the life span on the vinyl isn’t an issue. And if I get tired of it, I just peel it off.

Alberta Beagle
06-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the update Robert!!
At $500 it's a complete win. Up here in the great white north it will cost substantially more. Speaking to some of the better installers I have had prices from $1200 to as much as $2500.
It does look amazing!!!!

F6B-RICH
06-10-2013, 11:03 AM
My bad guys on the slow response, I’ve been traveling a bunch for work and my daughter travels a bunch for softball. As for the windshield, I goofed on that one; I was working with multiple companies before I decided on one and misspoke. It’s the 17” smoke shield from BaggerShield.

Here’s the deal with the vinyl wrap. On vehicles with lots of compound curves, I would recommend an installer that has lots of experience. I would look at some of his prior work as well. A good installer can wrap just about anything. He actually did most of my stuff still attached (i.e fenders, front fairings and bags.) You can go on youtube and search vinyl motorcycle wrapping to see how guys stretch, heat and shrink over compound curves. The stuff is actually pretty amazing.

As far a cutting on the vehicle, my installer used cutting tape that’s very narrow and applied at an edge so that the vinyl can be cut without cutting on the surface. One the cut is made, the tape is pulled from underneath and the wrap is continued to the edge. The total cost for this was around $500. Cheap considering paint is much more expensive. Plus, since it’s kept inside the life span on the vinyl isn’t an issue. And if I get tired of it, I just peel it off.

Great info and it looks great.Plus for $500 that is a sweet deal for people having a paint issue.

yellowskeeter1
06-10-2013, 02:48 PM

Where are you located? what shop did you use?
Thanks
Kenny

Retired Army
06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Now for the burning question, is it available in red?

RoughRider
06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Now for the burning question, is it available in red?

I like the look, but the durability is of some concern. Seeing how it peels right off is a little worrysome. I wouldn't want to be dropping money on it every year. Id first check out other wraps and talk to the owners of them and see if they had any issues first before I jump.

robertbalcom
06-10-2013, 07:37 PM
I've had several PM's regarding who did the work on my F6B. I live in North East Florida and my buddy owns http://clearbraofjax.com/.

He does really great work. I also read some were questioning the durability. I have two responses:

1) Vinyl wrapping has been around for years. Advertising companies were doing wraps way before it became economical, durable long term and before it was "cool". In fact, I see many cars completely wrapped and as long as you care for it, it lasts a long time.

2) Anything is better that that crap they call an OEM finish...

And for those the still doubt it's ability to look high end, be durable and fit on a complex surface need to look no further than this right here....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-general/2928371-vinyl-wrapping-diy-tutorial-lengthy-and-major-pics.html

BACA
06-10-2013, 07:59 PM
I've had several PM's regarding who did the work on my F6B. I live in North East Florida and my buddy owns http://clearbraofjax.com/.

He does really great work. I also read some were questioning the durability. I have two responses:

1) Vinyl wrapping has been around for years. Advertising companies were doing wraps way before it became economical, durable long term and before it was "cool". In fact, I see many cars completely wrapped and as long as you care for it, it lasts a long time.

And for those the still doubt it's ability to look high end, be durable and fit on a complex surface need to look no further than this right here....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-general/2928371-vinyl-wrapping-diy-tutorial-lengthy-and-major-pics.html

Sure wish your buddy had a shop here in the Northwest.........Nice Ride! :yes:

srkeet
06-10-2013, 11:36 PM
The Dark Knight rides! Let's have all the sick details! This could start a trend!

Ride as if there were a deer with your name on it.

srkeet

Hyperion
06-10-2013, 11:57 PM
I found this product available from the folks at Armor All. It is a spray on color protector which can easily be removed.

It is worth a look.

http://www.aacustomshield.com

Rich

Thank you for posting the info about Armor All custom shield. This will allow me to experiment without any permanent consequences.

cwjj2001
06-12-2013, 06:02 PM

How long does it take for them to complete the bike? Just in case I ride down for the weekend.

haleyohdo
07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
After reading through this thread, i decided to go out and purchase a couple of cans of plasti-dip, black, and last night I painted the lower front cowl of my f6b.. I was worried that this was going to take a pounding from the front tire and I do not like the look of a fender extender, (plus does not fix in my wheel chock when i trailer it), so I went this direction..
I think it came out pretty good.. we will see how it holds up...

After watching some you tube videos related to this product, I am thinking of maybe plasti-dip the chrome honda badges as well... the cool thing about this plasti-dip stuff, is you can take it off, if you do not like it.. :)

4DI2D
07-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Had to run out to the garage and check . . .my lower front cowl is black already. What color was your before you started?

bobbyf6b
07-10-2013, 11:51 AM
If I could get a wrap for $500 I'd do it. All the quotes I'm getting are $1000-$1200. Too much for me to justify it. I was thinking carbon fiber would look cool. I saw some that they sell at Pep Boys now but it's not 3M so I wouldn't trust it on my paint.

haleyohdo
07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Had to run out to the garage and check . . .my lower front cowl is black already. What color was your before you started?

True .. it was and is black, but now it has a protective coating on it which I can replace with a new coating as needed and the plastic is protected from rocks and the like... :)

Racer X
07-11-2013, 01:15 PM
I was so annoyed with the finish that I just had the bike wrapped. It's wrapped in matte black, debadged and has had the rear side reflectors removed. I also smoked the turn signals and put a Cee Bailey 17 inch smoke windshield on it.

Thoughts?
oMg....:yes::icon_lol:. I love it...and I've heard it can be removed to go back to the stock color..is that true? If so...where and how much?? I'm up in New York...haven't any idea where that's done up here!! But...Dayuuum.. Love that stealth look..(Harley..eat ur heart out) :banghead:

Freak
07-12-2013, 11:15 AM
that looks fantastic :yes: i have been thinking about painting mine flat black but this is a much better idea, i made sure i let honda know on my survey how unhappy i was with the finish.