PDA

View Full Version : Riding clothes

Jcamp
06-02-2013, 08:23 PM
So, being new tothe world of Goldwing type fairings I was wondering what style jackets you guys wear in warm weather? I normally wear a Darien light and can trust the ventilation to cool me of in warm weather, but we finally got some hot weather here in the Norteast and the fairing just blocks too much air. Do vented jackets work in 90 plus heat? Which ones do you like?

Steve 0080
06-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I wear a Joe Rocket Textile jacket w/ Joe Rocket over pants...here in sunny Florida it does seem to keep one cooler.....

Jcamp
06-02-2013, 08:36 PM
I wear a Joe Rocket Textile jacket w/ Joe Rocket over pants...here in sunny Florida it does seem to keep one cooler.....

Which jacket?

Steve 0080
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Here are the over pants...http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/237/459/Pants/Phoenix_3.0_[Mesh]

Here is a jacket... http://compare.ebay.com/like/321136309297

Hope this helps...p.s. only wear shorts under overpants for cooler feel...

Alberta Beagle
06-02-2013, 10:15 PM
I wear a Teknic mesh. It has elbow, shoulder and spine protectors and it does keep me very comfortable in warm weather.
If you posted on the HD Forum you may get a few more suggestions. Like shorts, flip flops and muscle shirts but some find it doesn't look too cool wearing your beanie helmet.

Texas TC
06-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Heck AB, shorts, T shirts and gym shoes are exactly what I wear for summer. It gets hot here in Texas.

Alberta Beagle
06-02-2013, 11:18 PM
We seldom get heat here like you do in the great state of Texas TC.
I'm a big believer in wear whatever floats your boat. For me it's ATGATT. We have some scary drivers around here. I would rather be a little warm than a lot dead, but that's just me. Life is all about choices.

Beagle

Darkknight
06-03-2013, 05:28 AM
I just bought a Shoei Neotek modular helmet and wow the air that comes through that thing is wonderful.
This weekend was around 95 here in CT. As long as I was moving my head was cool.
I have an inexpensive Bilt mesh jacket with armor and again when moving that was pretty cool.
I'll admit that for just buzzing around town I was in just helmet, tee shirt and Jeans...I wanted to get a little sun.
Next will be some mesh pants. I'm finding my jeans or chaps too warm.

On line at Revzilla.com they have a ton of stuff and videos for types of helment, jackets, pants everything. How to size them and the different applications (seasonal riding).

Interesting.

Wingman
06-03-2013, 04:28 PM
So, being new tothe world of Goldwing type fairings I was wondering what style jackets you guys wear in warm weather? I normally wear a Darien light and can trust the ventilation to cool me of in warm weather, but we finally got some hot weather here in the Norteast and the fairing just blocks too much air. Do vented jackets work in 90 plus heat? Which ones do you like?

Northeast? If you are close to Fall River Ma go to Vanson Leathers and check this out...http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-SuperMoto_Jacket-488.aspx? I grew up in New England and never rode in weather as hot as I see in North Carolina now, and this jacket works just fine for me.

I know...the price:shock:, they will typically sell cheaper at the store than online.

Bruce B
06-03-2013, 06:57 PM
I just bought a Shoei Neotek modular helmet and wow the air that comes through that thing is wonderful.
This weekend was around 95 here in CT. As long as I was moving my head was cool.
I have an inexpensive Bilt mesh jacket with armor and again when moving that was pretty cool.
I'll admit that for just buzzing around town I was in just helmet, tee shirt and Jeans...I wanted to get a little sun.
Next will be some mesh pants. I'm finding my jeans or chaps too warm.

On line at Revzilla.com they have a ton of stuff and videos for types of helment, jackets, pants everything. How to size them and the different applications (seasonal riding).

Interesting.

I'm considering a Neotek to replace an aging helmet and am hoping to find something someting that doesn't have that loud wind resonance. I'm riding behind a 13 inch Cee Bailey's (I'm 5'9", wearing a full face HJC) and there isn't much buffeting, just the resonance. When I open the face shield, the noise stops. A friend with an Arai has the same issue. I'd like to think that an up to date Neotek would solve the problem. What's your experience been? Has anyone had experience with the new HJC modular?

Jcamp
06-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Northeast? If you are close to Fall River Ma go to Vanson Leathers and check this out...http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-SuperMoto_Jacket-488.aspx? I grew up in New England and never rode in weather as hot as I see in North Carolina now, and this jacket works just fine for me.

I know...the price:shock:, they will typically sell cheaper at the store than online.

Thanks for the Vanson idea. I bought a leather jacket from them before and like to support the local(for me) businesses.

Darkknight
06-04-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm considering a Neotek to replace an aging helmet and am hoping to find something someting that doesn't have that loud wind resonance. I'm riding behind a 13 inch Cee Bailey's (I'm 5'9", wearing a full face HJC) and there isn't much buffeting, just the resonance. When I open the face shield, the noise stops. A friend with an Arai has the same issue. I'd like to think that an up to date Neotek would solve the problem. What's your experience been? Has anyone had experience with the new HJC modular?

I was using an HJC full face and I liked it except it was hot and if you sneezed there was a problem.
Next I had a VERY inexpensive BILT modular helmet. That was incredibly noisy and an uncomfortable fit.
I use a UCLEAR boomless com system that is bluetooth linked to my cell for calls and navigation. I could barely hear it in the Bilt helmet. It has noise cancelation so if I yelled to overcome the wind noise in my ears from the helmet, the system would try to cancel my voice. the Neotek is so quiet, talking on the Uclear is just like sitting in my living room and speaking to someone sitting next to me.

Generally, Modular will be noisier than a full face. But you get what you pay for. The Neotek was the most expensive helmet I've ever purchased. The build quality is very good. the face shield seal actually seals. Noise levels will increase slightly with each vent you open. With all vents open it still very quiet compared to the cheaper helmet. So quiet in fact, that when I attached the UCLEAR module to the outside of the helmet, I could hear the turbulance it created, and UCLEAR is a very small module.

It is definitly a comfy helmet and I've never worn a helmet with this much air flow inside. It also has a secondary shield that just about eliminates fogging, and the flip down sunshade is wonderful since I wear glasses.

There are videos on Revzilla.com about different brands they sell, and head shapes Vs brands and they ship very quickly at least to the north east. (I ordered at 5:30 pm on a Thursday and it was at my door at 6PM the next day. regular shipping). They will also pay shipping both ways if the product isn't satisfactory (too much noise)

I run the stock windshield and I'm 5'10" and 220 lbs. No turbulance in my head area, just around my chest. I do have an arthritic neck so my helmet shaking would be a significant discomfort.

MNF6B
06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I was using an HJC full face and I liked it except it was hot and if you sneezed there was a problem.
Next I had a VERY inexpensive BILT modular helmet. That was incredibly noisy and an uncomfortable fit.
I use a UCLEAR boomless com system that is bluetooth linked to my cell for calls and navigation. I could barely hear it in the Bilt helmet. It has noise cancelation so if I yelled to overcome the wind noise in my ears from the helmet, the system would try to cancel my voice. the Neotek is so quiet, talking on the Uclear is just like sitting in my living room and speaking to someone sitting next to me.

Generally, Modular will be noisier than a full face. But you get what you pay for. The Neotek was the most expensive helmet I've ever purchased. The build quality is very good. the face shield seal actually seals. Noise levels will increase slightly with each vent you open. With all vents open it still very quiet compared to the cheaper helmet. So quiet in fact, that when I attached the UCLEAR module to the outside of the helmet, I could hear the turbulance it created, and UCLEAR is a very small module.

It is definitly a comfy helmet and I've never worn a helmet with this much air flow inside. It also has a secondary shield that just about eliminates fogging, and the flip down sunshade is wonderful since I wear glasses.

There are videos on Revzilla.com about different brands they sell, and head shapes Vs brands and they ship very quickly at least to the north east. (I ordered at 5:30 pm on a Thursday and it was at my door at 6PM the next day. regular shipping). They will also pay shipping both ways if the product isn't satisfactory (too much noise)

I run the stock windshield and I'm 5'10" and 220 lbs. No turbulance in my head area, just around my chest. I do have an arthritic neck so my helmet shaking would be a significant discomfort.

I have the new Shoei Neotech Helmet and love it for all of the same reasons listed above. I have a baggershield windscreen that is 13 above the top of the rubber strip. I am 5'7" and the air hits me right on top of the head. Perfect for the massive air flow that this helmet provides. You will hear noise with all vents open and shield cracked open. Everything closed the helmet is quite and comfortable. I also looked at the Scheuberth helmet but it was 200 more and I could not see it being worth the price. I have no regrets with my Neotech!