PDA

View Full Version : Cagers doing the anticipated.

unsub
05-21-2014, 04:46 PM
Inspired by hiflyer in another thread and thought this topic deserves it's own discussion. Please feel free to add your experiences, or rather what you've come to expect from cars.

My mistake, I thought this thread was referring to when cars unexpectedly turn left in front of you.:icon_redface:

-Changing lanes into you while on their cell phone.
-Leaving no following distance behind you.
-Squeezing up next to you, in your parking stall.
-Cutting back into your lane inches from your front tire at 80mph after passing you.

CaptRob
05-21-2014, 07:46 PM
So, only 3 Saturdays ago I was coming home from the mountains still in the city Atlanta and pretty light traffic. I was in the HOV lane and a dumb young couple ( Obama stickers and all) passed from behind then just turned the wheel left …I had to slam the breaks!:yikes: I would say they missed my front wheel by an inch. I was so PISSED!! I caught up to them and the girl hid her face while I flipped them off. Suoer close call.

!985 on a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650. I was riding back from lunch break in the right lane on a 6 lane divided road. A light blue Chevy Caprice 4 dr ran a red light coming out of a bad neighborhood ( I suspect drug dealers ) I locked up all breaks, hit the front quarter, flew 30+ feet to gas station. A FF helmet saved my life that day!
Anyway a Hit and run I was left for dead, the car never stopped! The Police never followed any leads and never looked for the car! This wasn't my fault but, I no longer ride the right lane unless that is my only option. My head is always on a swivel now too.

ED209
05-21-2014, 07:53 PM
I've been riding nearly everyday since warm weather. :icon_mrgreen: that's a good thing

The most irritating automobile drivers to me, are the ones who block the fast lane on the 4 lane highways. :icon_doh: :catfight: It causes other automobiles to get irritated and drive crazy all around you.

JBnAZ
05-21-2014, 09:35 PM
My fingers would cramp up and fall off if I documented all the stupid, silly, dangerous, and outright aggressive actions cage drivers have done around me while riding.

The two primary offenses I see most often and that piss me off most are:
Following way too close
Being totally distracted

I call it like I see it and I get equally pissed at aggressive bikers that follow too close and weave in and out of traffice - they give us all bad press.

I have to give some credit to the state of AZ - all the overhead digital signs have posted a reminder to look out for motorcycles - been posted for a few weeks. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Kawi69
05-22-2014, 11:19 AM
I have the answer to these idiot's in cage's. Go out a buy a Headlight Modulator!!!!! I had one on my valk
of 10 yrs never had a problem I even had them pulling over for me like I was the cops. Put one on my F6B
and because of the double lights they even pull over on the other side of the rode!!!! I even put Brake Off
on both bikes. That works great too. :039: :banana::headbang:

Scotrod
05-22-2014, 12:04 PM
+1 on the modulators,,,

An added benefit on multilane highways is that it's easier to pass folks as they think you are a Cop coming up from behind so they pull over,,,

Disadvantage on 'single' highways is that it's harder to pass folks as they think you area Cop coming up from behind and slow down. :icon_frown:

Still never ceases to amaze me how many cager's out there still have no idea what a headlight modulator on a motorcycle is,,, Some of the reactions are hilarious!

gray rider
05-22-2014, 07:51 PM
I stopped a red light two days ago and suddenly had a red car fender 3 inches from my left knee. I was on my 2012 Vmax and the car body barely cleared my left muffler. I inched forward into the crosswalk and could see the cars right turn signal was on. The forty something woman on the phone in the car was probably going to make a right turn into me as soon as the light changed. I didn't wait to find out, I blew through the red light, pulled over and watched her make the turn right where I had been sitting. I HATE riding in the city!

jaygollner
05-25-2014, 10:40 AM
I have the answer to these idiot's in cage's. Go out a buy a Headlight Modulator!!!!! I had one on my valk
of 10 yrs never had a problem I even had them pulling over for me like I was the cops. Put one on my F6B
and because of the double lights they even pull over on the other side of the rode!!!! I even put Brake Off
on both bikes. That works great too. :039: :banana::headbang:

I am wondering what brand you used and how easy it was to install. Do you also have a back off brake light?

grendl
05-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Most of the answers I would give are already posted here. My only comment is that in over 3 decades of riding, I would guess 90% of the times I go out there is a car doing something dumb. Sometimes I have to wonder if it's intentional or if people in cars just don't care.
Somethings I try to understand and take the 'high road' such as if I am going warp speed (no admissions of guilt here) I get it that they cant really judge my speed and maybe when they looked I really wasn't there .For the dummies in cars we should post the speed limits in Feet per second instead of nice comfy Miles per hour. (60 MPH = 88 feet per second)
Most of the time though I am just amazed at what happens. I try not to get too angry anymore....
...so..I watch them carefully, try to anticipate being cut off with sometimes inches to spare,being able to switch lanes instinctively,always riding with ever changing escape routes planned,even when my light is green approach intersections carefully and if I cant see- be really cautious.
Another irritation is the idiots that think they can accelerate faster than I can !
Last if I can help it I wont ride in the city any longer than it takes to get to a highway,then up to the mountains. I rarely ride to work -although with my new shift from 6a-3p that may change.
Biggest advice I have is stay aware - always. Don't alter your conscience (even in Colorado :-)) and ride.

unsub
05-25-2014, 11:07 PM
or if people in cars just don't care.

Biggest advice I have is stay aware - always. Don't alter your conscience (even in Colorado :-)) and ride.

Amen!

Kawi69
05-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Yeah, Jaygollner The headlight modulators I've had on both bike's is Kisan
for the F6B is around 150 bucks. I had the dealer install when I bought my
bike. It's amazing that these people in cars don't have a clue. Just yesterday
I'm riding and had a guy in a panel van moving his fingers like a mouth up &
down as I rode by and I was nodding yes I know. Yes I do have BACK OFF
tail light modulator on my bike also. :icon_rolleyes::icon_doh:'blahblahblah':banana: