PDA

View Full Version : Safety Reminder I Received Last Saturday

Bruce B
05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Rode in the Sierra foothills last weekend with a group of about 12-15. Out in the boonies, just coming off the Stumpy Meadows Reservoir dam road and approaching the curve at it's end, a rider went down. Speed was about 40 and not a factor. VTX 1300 totaled. As she lay on the asphalt awaiting the Life Flight helicopter, the rider (an excellent rider by the way) made only one comment, "I only looked at the lake for a couple of seconds". A good reminder that the bike tends to go where we are looking. When rolling, it's about the ride, not the view.

I quit skydiving about a year ago but remember well one of the great safety cliches. "Don't ever think you're so good that you can't die doing this." I think that applies when I get on my bike too. I don't mean to be a downer but, hey, it's going to be a crazy weekend out there. Ride safe.

GNW
05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the reminder !
Motorcycling is fun and I have been doing it for over 55 years.
Safe thoughts make it even better !!

F6BPDX
05-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Good reminder Bruce, it's easy to get lulled into the scenery, or the rhythm of the road and that momentary lapse in concentration is just enough.

Best wishes for Ms. VTX too, I sure hope she is alright.

Mustangjake
05-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Hopefully she have a speed recovery.

Scotrod
05-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Good reminder Bruce, it's easy to get lulled into the scenery, or the rhythm of the road and that momentary lapse in concentration is just enough.

Best wishes for Ms. VTX too, I sure hope she is alright.

X2!!!

So easy to get complacent! I try to break up the ride / add stops / change pace (switch from 4 lane to 2 lane, etc) whatever one can do to 'shake' you back into awareness.

That, and another one I have trouble with,,, keeping the speed down. The longer I ride, the faster I go,,, Not a good combination!!! :nono:

gray rider
05-22-2014, 07:36 PM
My wife rarely asks me about what I saw on my ride because my comment is always "the road".

MSGT-R
05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
..and watch out for those tar-snakes. It doesn't have to be in the heat of summer to make them dangerous in a curve.

Hope she has a complete recovery.

bobbyf6b
05-23-2014, 02:25 PM
..and watch out for those tar-snakes. It doesn't have to be in the heat of summer to make them dangerous in a curve.

Hope she has a complete recovery.

+1 on all that. The tar snakes are horrible in AZ.

Keep your eyes moving (Smith System) and give 4 wheelers the right of way. I almost got hit this morning in the bank parking lot by a teenager in a hurry.

CheckpointChcky
05-23-2014, 07:08 PM
+1 on all that. The tar snakes are horrible in AZ.

Keep your eyes moving (Smith System) and give 4 wheelers the right of way. I almost got hit this morning in the bank parking lot by a teenager in a hurry.

I know what tar snakes are but have never known that they cause problems. Can you tell me what the danger is? Thanks.

coffee_weasle
05-23-2014, 07:32 PM
I know what tar snakes are but have never known that they cause problems. Can you tell me what the danger is? Thanks.

they give me the feel that the front tire is sliding out (AZ snakes are aboot the worst i've slid across)

bobbyf6b
05-24-2014, 01:44 AM

In the extreme heat of the desert the tar snakes become very soft. Every time you cross a snake your tires slide a little, so going around curves will get your attention really quick.

coffee_weasle
05-24-2014, 12:46 PM
seems to me the snakes in AZ are the widest i have ever seen

just adds to the challenge :2gwb921:

CaptRob
05-24-2014, 03:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ZgiXFS6Lc

srt8-in-largo
07-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Most people seem to "poo-poo" the MSF rider courses and say they don't understand the purpose. Well those courses are designed to create, sharpen, and ingrain riding skills and are full of great little reminders... like looking where you go.

My comments are not directed at this rider, but are directed generally. The advanced MSF courses are great IMO to keep your skills sharp.