PDA

View Full Version : a bounce RR to LF

Darkknight
05-23-2014, 05:42 AM
OK, here's something I've noticed and maybe a fork brace would help... or not.
When riding around a sweeping corner at high speeds or fully loaded (the bike that is), I sense a back and fourth "bounce". If I was in my car or truck (anything with 4 wheels) it would feel like the vehicle was bouncing from the Right Rear to The Left Front. It's kind of unsettling at any speed but it's a big distraction at +100.

This has been a characteristic since new. I'm thinking single swing are on right rear and some flex in the front end, or maybe a difference in the front forks. I think I've read that the front forks are not the same. One is sort of a "slave" and the other is the main suspension.

So if any of you have felt the same issue or if I'm totally off on the suspension configuration, I'd appreciate the input and maybe suggestions on how to correct it (short of replacing the forks).
Maybe I should have put this in the Garage section of the forum.

Scotrod
05-23-2014, 07:58 AM
There are companies who make aftermarket suspension components. Traction Dynamics is one,,, Give them a holler.

(I assume slowing down a bit is not an option)

JBnAZ
05-23-2014, 08:11 AM
I suggest you investigate suspension set up. Set the sag, document the changes in your setting then start trying new settings, then go for a ride, rinse and repeat. I assume your tire pressure is correct, another item to check.

My Street Glide suffered similar handling characteristics but that was due to a poor frame design and awful stock shocks. Even continued after I replaced the rear shocks.

The F6 should provide very good handling even without any extra suspension upgrades. I did add a fork brace, but I did not experience your issue prior to installing it. I ride aggresively and the F6 is very stable and predictable In high speed sweepers, my personal favorite type of corner.

Good luck

GiddyupF6B
05-23-2014, 08:12 AM
I haven't experienced that on my bike at all. I ride pretty aggressive in the twisties on these back roads. I can say that the brace made a difference for me with slow maneuvers for sure, high speed handling I'm not sure if it did anything or not to be honest. Two up is where I noticed a huge improvement with the brace at slow speeds, not sure if you would have any luck with the brace fixing the higher speed issue. Good luck.....

glryder98
05-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Have you switched to the Darkside?

Darren
05-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Try playing with the rear suspension, i dialed out some major under steer, you might want to try a heavier fork oil too, that might be next on my list, a brace might help I haven't fitted one so can't really comment.

Darkknight
05-25-2014, 02:55 PM
OK No to the Dark side. Running stock tires.

I rode 1 up with some light luggage and reasonable speeds (75 mph and lower) long sweeping right hand turn with no issues.

It appears When there are 2 up with luggage or if I'm going faster than 90 riding alone. Long Sweeping corners like entrance ramps or fly-overs.
I do run 40/40 tire pressure, but this is a suspension thing I think.

I rode through the hill of VT this weekend with no Bounce at all. I did ride alone, under 70 in the same turns that I had felt the bounce before. Maybe the rear shock is set too soft for the heavier load?

Darkknight
05-25-2014, 03:20 PM
OK No to the Dark side. Running stock tires.

I rode 1 up with some light luggage and reasonable speeds (75 mph and lower) long sweeping right hand turn with no issues.

It appears When there are 2 up with luggage or if I'm going faster than 90 riding alone. Long Sweeping corners like entrance ramps or fly-overs.
I do run 40/40 tire pressure, but this is a suspension thing I think.

I rode through the hill of VT this weekend with no Bounce at all. I did ride alone, under 70 in the same turns that I had felt the bounce before. Maybe the rear shock is set too soft for a heavier load?

Darren
05-25-2014, 03:29 PM
The suspension is a good place to start, it is definitely set too soft when it comes from the dealers, I've set up the rear shock and it completely changed the handling, it became sharper with less understeer and I am now able to track a tighter line. The best thing is it was a big change for no money.

bobbyf6b
05-25-2014, 03:44 PM
The suspension is a good place to start, it is definitely set too soft when it comes from the dealers, I've set up the rear shock and it completely changed the handling, it became sharper with less understeer and I am now able to track a tighter line. The best thing is it was a big change for no money.

+1. Mine was a bit sketchy in high speed curves until I put the preload to the halfway point. Handles as it should now.

grendl
05-25-2014, 03:59 PM
My bike is new and I ride the twisties in Colorado a lot. Sometimes I am 'jamming'. My first few rides were bouncy and I wasn't pleased with the handling in the curves.It wasn't horrendous or anything like you describe but still ...
I guessed( correctly) to adjust the rear shock to about half way. It was set on the lowest setting.Major difference !! Curve lines are exact,a little hard on major bumps but for (as was mentioned) no bucks I have fallen deeper in love with my F6B. Kid you not I had to find another way to hold my left foot,scraping the toe of my boots in the corners and I am NOT the "boy racer".
This thing is phenomenal !:041:

Steve 0080
05-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Progressive is bringing their mono tube shocks to market as we speak….Wing Stuff should have them on the shelves by the end of the month….. as stated…check rear shock…sounds to soft!!!

Sorcerer
05-25-2014, 09:57 PM
I run 42 psi in front and rear. Easy chair ride it's not. As others have sead my rear shock was almost at zero soft. I ride 1 up. Already have dragged the right engine saver,right exhaust shield, replaced right drivers foot peg feeler at 5000 miles. Put a belly pan on at 5500 mile and am now working on metal removel on it now.:icon_wink:

Wild Bill
05-26-2014, 01:47 PM
OK, here's something I've noticed and maybe a fork brace would help... or not.
When riding around a sweeping corner at high speeds or fully loaded (the bike that is), I sense a back and fourth "bounce". If I was in my car or truck (anything with 4 wheels) it would feel like the vehicle was bouncing from the Right Rear to The Left Front. It's kind of unsettling at any speed but it's a big distraction at +100.

This has been a characteristic since new. I'm thinking single swing are on right rear and some flex in the front end, or maybe a difference in the front forks. I think I've read that the front forks are not the same. One is sort of a "slave" and the other is the main suspension.

So if any of you have felt the same issue or if I'm totally off on the suspension configuration, I'd appreciate the input and maybe suggestions on how to correct it (short of replacing the forks).
Maybe I should have put this in the Garage section of the forum.

Cant say about the fork brace. But I do a lot of two up rideing.I am thinking that due to load and speed the rear shock is lightly hiting bottom causeing the bounce feel. Mine will do it with two people on it in a tight turn.

Darkknight
05-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Cool, Up on the rear shock and we'll see what happens. Thanks!