PDA

View Full Version : First 2 Up!

Paul B Blues
05-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Had my first trip out with a passenger. My pal is 6' 3" but I didn't feel much in the way of performance reduction with his extra weight. I still managed to get up to 70+ very quickly when it came to overtaking. A few months ago I bought my wife all the gear she needs to accompany me out, now she says she won't come with me! I've tried everything, jokes, pleading and puppy dog eyes :icon_frown: but still no is the answer. Anyone else had this issue with their significant other? Did you resolve it and how?

5861 5862

Hornblower
05-26-2014, 07:10 AM
A few months ago I bought my wife all the gear she needs to accompany me out, now she says she won't come with me! I've tried everything, jokes, pleading and puppy dog eyes :icon_frown: but still no is the answer. Anyone else had this issue with their significant other? Did you resolve it and how?

Paul B, you're not alone, if that's any consolation :icon_frown:. Some people just don't find the "adventure" of bike riding appealing and, like your wife, mine feels the same way. So now, I enjoy the advantages of riding solo, the main one being no one telling me to slow down :clap2:.

Texas TC
05-26-2014, 07:38 AM
My wife rode pasenger wih me for 30+ years. Then she got her own motorcycle. She quit riding when the first grandchild came along since she became day care for a few years. We sold her Harley about 12 years ago. From the time she learned to ride her own bike, she never wanted to ride as a passenger. After my Harley years, I have owned two full Wings and the F6B. She has not been on any of them. However, she will not drop her motorcycle drivers license.

I really dont mind anymore. I have become very accostomed to solo riding to the point I really do not care to have a passenger. 50 years of riding. 30 years with a passenger and the last 20 without. I now prefer the latter.

JackBurns40
05-26-2014, 08:25 AM
My wife rode with me back when we were dating 32+ years ago. I sold the bike before we got married, then started riding again about 14 years ago. My wife has had no interest in riding with me no matter which bike I've owned. And I don't think she's going to.

Deer Slayer
05-26-2014, 08:29 AM
No wacks on the brain bucket, Paul.:yikes: :cheers:

choptop
05-26-2014, 08:47 AM
The SO went on a 500 mile ride yesterday, she likes the 6 but who knows when that will happen again. Their are those times when it is nice to have someone along to share whatever comes along but I have no problem w/solo and whatever comes along.

Steve 0080
05-26-2014, 08:58 AM
My wife prefers to ride on short rides of 100 miles or less...the longer rides become painful to her knees...and besides who here would ride on the back...boring!!!!! And if the truth were told I prefer riding alone...point the bike into the wind, when it gets late, turn on the GPS and head home!!!!

jakec
05-26-2014, 09:19 AM
If you want to see why they don't want to ride on the back just lock your throttle lock and slide back on the rear seat. They take a beating back there from the buffeting. My wife and I have traveled all over the U.S. and Canada on our Wing but I put Baker wings, Transformer floorboards on the bike and also we bought her the most comfortable helmet and gear we could find. This all helped but I'm still more comfortable then she is.

F6B-RICH
05-26-2014, 12:13 PM
When I had the Can-Am Spyder my wife had no problem going for rides but now with the 6 she says it feels like we are going to fall over when we go on turns so now its only me-myself-and I that goes on rides now .batman-smilie.

Paul B Blues
05-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your replies. I now see I'm not alone on this one, don't get me wrong I love riding the bike solo, just every now and again it would be nice to have my wife with me for company. I know being the passenger isn't great, but I don't know why anyone would refuse a trip out on a bike! The good news is my daughter is coming to visit in a few weeks and she has been told!! I mean agreed to go for a trip with her old Dad. I know this sort of thing isn't for everyone, and folk do have their reasons for not liking motorcycling, but I just love it and I want to spread that love......:icon_lol:

jakec
05-26-2014, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't get on the back of a bike with someone else driving for a thousand dollars. I guess I'm a control freak.

BuzzzPhotos
05-26-2014, 05:50 PM
My Wife doesn't mind me riding & has been on ONCE. She lost her previous husband after a bike wreck & gets nervous riding. She had an 883 for a couple of years but only rode it twice. I quit riding for a few years but really missed it:banghead: I try my best to be careful & not ride into City traffic as much as possible.

opas ride
05-26-2014, 05:53 PM
My wife rode with me years ago when we were both younger and enjoyed it...Today, no interest as she has put on a "few" (lots) of pounds and also has severe Arthritis....But, she told me the other day she would entertain the idea of riding on the back of a trike if she could sit comfortable and relax...Maybe I'll check out a Goldwing trike or convert my F6B someday but, for sure, not anytime soon....We are both 74 and I'm sure that the 3-wheel option is coming soon enough....I would rather have a new GT Mustang than a trike!!!

CaptRob
05-26-2014, 08:58 PM
My SO will not entertain the thought of riding her own bike. She LOVED my Harley SG now, has very very little interest in riding on the 6. She told me she just like the Harley thing and hanging out with friends. One Harley couple is getting divorced, one has health issues so it is just us oops.. sorry just me. If theres no group fun she's not going. I am thinking about bringing her in August maybe she will like that?