PDA

View Full Version : 1st Trip in traffic...not good

Hogzilla
05-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Well, I decided to take a few days off and take a getaway trip with the motorhome and the new F6B. The first day I took the bike out I ended up in traffic. No big deal, the bike handles great, it is light and is quick enough to get you out of trouble. The problem with this is that is that none of the mentioned was the problem. I was sitting in traffic and for the first time since owning it, the fans came on. I immediately knew that it didn't sound right. I told my wife that it didn't sound right and another few seconds it stopped making the noise. I attributed the noise to something being on the fan and no big deal. I got to the next stop light and I could smell coolant. I looked at the temp gauge and it was right where it should be. So I rode on, well about another mile, I look down because I am still smelling it and lo and behold my right foot is covered in coolant. Great! I am 40 miles from the motorhome and in a town that has no Honda dealer. So I get on the web and find a dealer that is close to my base camp and take off there. Once I get there the mechanic says your fan has ground into your radiator. No one knows how it happened but it ground in enough to create a hole. So he says he can order a radiator and have it ship overnight but I decided to take it closer to home and have the dealership I bought it from work on it. Those last seven miles I road was a nightmare. The hole had gotten larger and now it was pouring fluid out of the right side of the bike. The temperature gauge was climbing and me, the bike and my wife were all soaked from the waste down on the right side. I did manage to get to the motorhome and put the bike in the trailer. It now sits in the service department in Russellville waiting on parts. This should be a warranty issue but we will see if they have an excuse or not. Wish me luck!

Wild Bill
05-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.Glad you got back to camp. keep us posted on what happened and why. I Know I will want to check mine out so I don't have a similar issue.

Hogzilla
05-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.Glad you got back to camp. keep us posted on what happened and why. I Know I will want to check mine out so I don't have a similar issue.

Thanks. Have you ever seen the clearance between the fan and the radiator? It ain't much! If that fan gets out of adjustment in any way it will be in the radiator. We will see what they determine when I get it this week (I hope), because next week I am headed to East TN for a week of riding

Phantom
05-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Well, I decided to take a few days off and take a getaway trip with the motorhome and the new F6B. The first day I took the bike out I ended up in traffic. No big deal, the bike handles great, it is light and is quick enough to get you out of trouble. The problem with this is that is that none of the mentioned was the problem. I was sitting in traffic and for the first time since owning it, the fans came on. I immediately knew that it didn't sound right. I told my wife that it didn't sound right and another few seconds it stopped making the noise. I attributed the noise to something being on the fan and no big deal. I got to the next stop light and I could smell coolant. I looked at the temp gauge and it was right where it should be. So I rode on, well about another mile, I look down because I am still smelling it and lo and behold my right foot is covered in coolant. Great! I am 40 miles from the motorhome and in a town that has no Honda dealer. So I get on the web and find a dealer that is close to my base camp and take off there. Once I get there the mechanic says your fan has ground into your radiator. No one knows how it happened but it ground in enough to create a hole. So he says he can order a radiator and have it ship overnight but I decided to take it closer to home and have the dealership I bought it from work on it. Those last seven miles I road was a nightmare. The hole had gotten larger and now it was pouring fluid out of the right side of the bike. The temperature gauge was climbing and me, the bike and my wife were all soaked from the waste down on the right side. I did manage to get to the motorhome and put the bike in the trailer. It now sits in the service department in Russellville waiting on parts. This should be a warranty issue but we will see if they have an excuse or not. Wish me luck!

Sounds like a mistake that occurred on the assembly line. Fan was installed too close to the radiator.
An inconvenience for sure. I know of a fellow Rider that took his Honda Rune (flat 6 engine) to a dealership so that he could have all of the fluids replaced. Picked up the bike and rode home, then rode 8 hours. Bike would get hot only when he sat at idle, finally reached his final destination 8 hours later. Once we looked for leaks, we discovered that the Dealership NEVER added the new radiator fluid. We added over a gallon of fluid and all was well. ….. The moral of the story is that this engine runs cool if in motion and will not over heat until you slow down.

This leak of yours does suck and it should be covered under warranty

Steve 0080
05-26-2014, 04:35 PM
+1 on the above post.......not sure I would have ridden it and CAUSED more damage!!!! JMHO.....that 40 mile ride may cost you big money!!!!!

Hogzilla
05-26-2014, 07:25 PM
+1 on the above post.......not sure I would have ridden it and CAUSED more damage!!!! JMHO.....that 40 mile ride may cost you big money!!!!!

Didn't have much of a choice. The bike never got hot and the fans never came on because of the highway speeds so there was nothing to worry about except for the fluid ruining my pants and shoes. This was nothing compared to when I had my 01 Wing. All the over heating issues with that bike for the first year drove me crazy.

Hogzilla
05-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Got the bike back yesterday. It needed a new right radiator and fan. All under warranty thank goodness! Service manager said that it appeared that there was one bolt on the fan that was not tightened on the fan from the factory. This caused the fan to be able to move into the radiator, grinding a hole into it. Oh well, Honda of Russellville, moved quickly to get this done so I can go on a trip with it next week. Nice guys in the service department. I hope this is the last issue I have with this!!