PDA

View Full Version : Pitch of tire noise changes in a turn

motozeke
05-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Hi all, wonder if anyone else has experienced this: started a trip along Highway 1 north of San Francisco. Shortly into the trip I began to notice a change in pitch of the sound coming from the front tire noise when the bike was leaned over into a turn (a nice feature of a bike with great wind protection and a quiet motor--you notice more!). Even though handling was normal, I pulled over to check the inflation pressure. Came up 43, which sounds about right since I inflate to 40 cold and air temp was about 60. Not that this is science, but it definitely wasn't under inflated which is what I was worried about.

I just installed the Madstad which cut a lot of noise and may be in fact channelling more front end noises up to me through the screen versus my old Cee Bailey.

Bike had 6000 miles and stock tires, running about 50% freeway miles vs. backroad miles.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anybody else had a similar observation.

Steve 0080
05-27-2014, 07:31 PM
I have heard this with other makes of tires...not with the stones...the lower the thread the more noise???

Deer Slayer
05-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Welcome to Chassis Whine caused by tire ware. You did nothing wrong. It has occured on all GL1800 with motorcycle tires. I do not have whine as I am not using a MC tire on the rear.:cheers:

Ericb445
05-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Mine sounds like that when in turns, I never gave it much thought.
It Never felt weird so I just chalked it to normal sounds :shrug:

royr
05-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Common on GWs with tire wear. I could hear the tire whine on my '12 GL1800 with the stock windshield. With the MadStad being so quite, you may heard more noises.

Scotrod
05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
That's normal. Some (worn/cupped) tires make more noise than others when leaned over. (I've heard the most complaints about E-3's) :shrug:

A CT on a MC?!?! That's just plain Abby-Normal!!! :icon_laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGbpqO_sYtk

Sorry DSDS*, couldn't resist!!! LOL!!!

(*Dark-sided Deer Slayer!)

smokinjoe187
05-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi all, wonder if anyone else has experienced this: started a trip along Highway 1 north of San Francisco. Shortly into the trip I began to notice a change in pitch of the sound coming from the front tire noise when the bike was leaned over into a turn (a nice feature of a bike with great wind protection and a quiet motor--you notice more!). Even though handling was normal, I pulled over to check the inflation pressure. Came up 43, which sounds about right since I inflate to 40 cold and air temp was about 60. Not that this is science, but it definitely wasn't under inflated which is what I was worried about.

I just installed the Madstad which cut a lot of noise and may be in fact channelling more front end noises up to me through the screen versus my old Cee Bailey.

Bike had 6000 miles and stock tires, running about 50% freeway miles vs. backroad miles.

the tire recommends 38 lbs in the front
i followed the recommended pressures and got 19 k out of the front
ran the same stretch of hiway,and yes there is some difference but not enough you should worry,btw if you rode a harley before welcome to the quiet life of f6b ownership!!

motozeke
05-27-2014, 11:49 PM
ran the same stretch of hiway,and yes there is some difference but not enough you should worry,btw if you rode a harley before welcome to the quiet life of f6b ownership!!

Thanks man, guys here report getting better than that by running 40 lbs. And I rode a Ducati Multistrada before this bike... between the wind noise and the exhaust rattle my ears would ring even with a full face helmet and earplugs. Life is so much better now...

motozeke
05-27-2014, 11:53 PM

Well you learn something new every day! That gives me some peace of mind, as long as I know what it is it won't bother me.

mike2000t
05-28-2014, 08:20 PM
I have a bit of tone difference when I turn. Same as on my VT1100t with E3's so i am not worried. I do 41 psi front and back per dealer recommendation. I ran the same psi on the E3's and got decent mileage.

Wild Bill
05-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Not just a wing my Vulcan would do it after the tire had some where and my buddys concourse would also do it it turns.

miramiramira
08-07-2014, 11:22 PM
I noticed it for the first time today running CO mountain passes. Fortunately, I'd read this post, so I didn't worry about it. I didn't notice any difference in performance.

SmallPasture
08-08-2014, 07:22 AM
If ya put the stock windshield back on you'll never hear the whine again because of the wind noise! Just a suggestion! :icon_lol:

bob109
08-08-2014, 08:46 AM
My OEM Bridgestone had the same slight noise going into corners. Keeping the pressure at 40 psi the tire delivered 16.5 K miles of wear and produced the noise throughout its thread/tread life. Replaced that tire with a Bridgestone Battlax and the Ax produces the same noise while cornering. The Ax also initially produced a high frequency handlebar vibration which abated after several hundred miles. I believe that was produced by the sharp sipe edges, a result of the "molding process".

Deer Slayer
08-08-2014, 08:58 AM
The whine is just radial tire cupping. I do not have this noise as I run Bad Ass Motorcycle Tire (car tire). Yup it takes care of tire whine. :cheers:

jakec
08-08-2014, 09:04 AM
It is tire cupping, the heavier the bike the more it will do it. If you look closely at the front tire you can see the cupping and it doesn,t hurt anything. You just always want to check your wear bars, it seems when these tires wear down so far the rest wears really fast, I've been caught by surprise on longer trips.

redinoliver
07-21-2015, 09:52 PM

I've heard tire whine in corners from new with stones. Now running a hankook 426 b runflat tire. Super smooth and quiet. tire is a 195 55 16.

flat6bagger
07-22-2015, 06:59 AM
It also could be in part the road surface itself that you are traveling on causing the noises you are hearing.
Everything from heat to grime or any other variable you can think of can make a road change.
This in turn affects the tires.
Not just noise,but the way a tire reacts to the surface.
Think race tracks.
Watch a NASCAR race.
All they talk about is tire grip and how the track is changing.
(Well,also Dale Jr and Danica Patrick,but that is a whole nuther topic) :icon_biggrin:
It is no different on a highway.
Same materials are used to make highways as used to make race tracks.
It would take hours to explain if, ands or buts on how road surfaces change and how they affect tires.
The point is that I believe it is not just one piece of the puzzle causing the noises.
It is a combination of everything going on at that moment.
Then again I have been wrong before and this just may be another one of those times.

Doug

dickiedeals
07-22-2015, 07:15 AM
I've been hearing this tire noise for years on many different different brands of tires, brands of motorcycles. Keep the tire pressure correct and ride it................Dickie

strickf6b
07-22-2015, 07:13 PM
I had the same issue started at about 9000 miles on the stock tires by 11 thousand miles it was so bad I couldn't stand it anymore and I was thinking that the sound was coming from the front tire it turned out to be the back tire cupping that's when I went to the dark side Bridgestone Dr guard 195 55 16. Fourteen thousand plus miles still have the original stone on the front looks like another three or four thousand miles left on it.

Rudy
07-22-2015, 09:22 PM
I'm approaching 4,000 miles on my stock tires and they really whine when in a turn. Seems to have gotten louder the last couple hundred miles.:shrug: I maintain 40-41 psi and see no sign of cupping yet. I guess I will just have to turn the radio up a bit more. :icon_mrgreen:

Big Jay
07-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Yep , just getting ready to put a new rear tire on tomorrow, and it has made noise in the corners for a long while ,tire has right at 12000 miles on it.

redinoliver
07-23-2015, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=strickf6b;88572]I had the same issue started at about 9000 miles on the stock tires by 11 thousand miles it was so bad I couldn't stand it anymore and I was thinking that the sound was coming from the front tire it turned out to be the back tire cupping that's when I went to the dark side Bridgestone Dr guard 195 5h 5 16. Fourteen thousand plus miles still have the original stone on the front looks like another three or four thousand miles left on it.

how much tire pressure are you running in your drive guard? I have a hankook optimo 426 b run flat. I'm running 46 psi. Handles better with 2 up. sidewall isn't as hard as the bridgestone.