PDA

View Full Version : UPGRADE TO BELL MAGNUM 9 OR UPGRADE WINDSHIELD?

luckyluciano
05-31-2014, 06:08 PM
Tried the Bell Mag 9 helmet today. Really liked it. Provides ear protection, windscreen, sunshade and bluetooth capability. Im undecided if I should upgrade the stock windshield or upgrade my helmet. I don't really see a point in doing both. Do the F6b riders here have any advice? Will this helmet do the trick?

Exbmwrider
05-31-2014, 06:26 PM
No helmet will have much of an impact on the wind, noise, etc. that we get when the stock shield is on the bike. Your radio will remain very difficult to hear unless you swap for a taller, more protective windshield. I have the Baggershield 19", and it made all the difference in the world.

Good luck.

Kfad
05-31-2014, 06:33 PM
I like wearing a half helmet so windshield it was, Klock Werks Flare for me. Good luck

Steve 0080
05-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Clearview shield, small w/ vent

luckyluciano
05-31-2014, 07:04 PM
No offence the the riders who use the tall windshield but I really like the sleek look of a low windshield on this bike.
I've, read and read and read every thread here on windshields but cannot decide. I like the look of a dark shorter windshield and like the look of the Klock Werks but I don't want to go through the aggravation and expense of trying multiple windshields.
I am 6 foot tall, what is the lowest shield I can get away with.
I find the wind noise absolutely defening on this bike.

opas ride
05-31-2014, 07:10 PM
I recently bought a 3/4 face shield Shoei helmet and it is great in my opinion and is the most expensive and best helmet I have purchased in the 45+ years I have been riding..., but it is a little warm as summer weather comes so I bought a less expensive HJC open face helmet with no face shield and just use sunglasses...With the Baggershield windshield on my F6B I hardly feel any difference in wind and road noise between the two helmets....I think I would spend the money on a better windshield first, then perhaps another helmet...JMHO

Hornblower
05-31-2014, 07:19 PM
No helmet will have much of an impact on the wind, noise, etc. that we get when the stock shield is on the bike. Your radio will remain very difficult to hear unless you swap for a taller, more protective windshield. I have the Baggershield 19", and it made all the difference in the world.
Good luck.

:agree:. A good wind screen is your only hope to silence wind noise. In fact, with hotter weather coming, many riders get interested in helmets that ventilate better. Unfortunately, better air flow in the helmet usually means more wind noise so, once again, the solution to quieten things down is a well-designed wind screen. My Madstad may look a bit "funky" but it's working exceptionally well :icon_biggrin:.

luckyluciano
05-31-2014, 07:29 PM
I like wearing a half helmet so windshield it was, Klock Werks Flare for me. Good luck

Thanks guys. This is all making a lot of sense.

kfad,
Does the Klock Werks block all the windnoise so you can hear the Radio?
Do you think it will it work for someone like me who's 6ft tall?
How tall is the Klock Werks you are using?

(Last week I rode the B.A.D. Charity ride locally here and lost my riding glasses. They blew straight off my face at 120 Kms per hour. I had to buy goggles with the elastic band.)

BuzzzPhotos
05-31-2014, 08:50 PM
OE Windshield really sucked. The beauty of the bike pulled us in and I think MOST of us couldn't wait to add our choice of Windshield. A lot of us tried 2 or 3 windshields after going thru our favorite helmets from previous years of riding. Madstad was my final choice and the look really grew on me.

Great riding!

smokinjoe187
05-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys. This is all making a lot of sense.

kfad,
Does the Klock Werks block all the windnoise so you can hear the Radio?
Do you think it will it work for someone like me who's 6ft tall?
How tall is the Klock Werks you are using?

(Last week I rode the B.A.D. Charity ride locally here and lost my riding glasses. They blew straight off my face at 120 Kms per hour. I had to buy goggles with the elastic band.)

im afraid you either half to try a madstad,or live with the noise if you want a shorty screen..
most of use a speaking from a lot of experience here...
what works for me may not be cool for you
i ride a stock goldwing redrilled to make it shorter
i can listen to my music,wear a half helmet or ride with my modular helmet in the up position with no flutter
im 6'1 280...i tried all the other shields..i can ride all day and i can ride a passenger in comfort...
cool factor it looses but ridability it has...
if you go with the klockwerks go big or go home...
just saying

Scotrod
05-31-2014, 09:05 PM
:agree:. My Madstad may look a bit "funky" but it's working exceptionally well :icon_biggrin:.

,,, and probably the quietest shield you've ever ran, eh?? :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

Wife and I actually have the 'stads off just for S + G and we're running the OEM's now. Full face Shoei's w/earplugs. Nice breeze up to about 50ish when puttin' out in the countryside, but dang sure wouldn't head out on any kind of trip like that.

luckyluciano
05-31-2014, 09:57 PM
I have a VTX 1800 with a stock honda shield. I never experienced much wind. Never really had to think about it either. I just took the calm and the quiet for granted. Do I need a shield just below my line of sight?

Big Jay
05-31-2014, 10:19 PM

I believe it must have been your f6 I saw at the Longview Lowes today, I really like the look of the Klock Works shield . That's the only one I've seen on a bike. 'riding''

Kfad
06-01-2014, 12:50 PM
That was my bike in Longview.....
Did some measuring from the small Honda symbol above the ignition, the shield top is approx
13 3/4" and from the windshields seal on the front straight up not following the shield it's approx 10"
I'm 6'2' and it works great for me, and it looks great... Picked mine up at moto part hub for $235.20 instead of $279 that everyone else wants.

Kfad
06-01-2014, 12:51 PM
I believe it must have been your f6 I saw at the Longview Lowes today, I really like the look of the Klock Works shield . That's the only one I've seen on a bike. 'riding''

Thank you, like it a lot

kjelders
06-03-2014, 09:32 AM
a little more expensive, but with the 11" HP Windbender electric, you can have the "cool" factor and adjust as needed for wind noise.

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5881&d=1401285055

luckyluciano
06-03-2014, 08:21 PM
How in the world do I decide without buying multiple shields?
I don't do many long trips but once and a while I'll do a 3 hour ride in the countryside. I do hit the highway once and a while also.

I really am thinking of the Klock Werks for the cool look . What size. Is dark smoke ok? It looks great ! Do I need to see through it. Any KW owners out there? To be honest, I like all the shields but like the curves of the KW best.

Scotrod
06-03-2014, 09:43 PM

Only you can decide what ~works~ for you... There is no other way to ~know~ w/o trying them yourself,,,

Even with the best of intentions, comments from others are mere generalizations,,, not facts applicable to every rider out there,,,

You must make this journey alone, Grasshopper!!! :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
06-03-2014, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=Scotrod;32230Wife and I actually have the 'stads off just for S + G and we're running the OEM's now. .[/QUOTE]

Update:

Only about an inch, inch and an eighth difference in height between the 'Stad base and the OEM shield.

Stad base has more of a radius along the top edge than the flatter OEM, so the greatest difference in height is only for a short distance, then decreases the further out from center one gets. (Stad base is taller) Top curvature of Stad base more closely resembles the arc of the dash,,,

Stad base is black opaque. While I kinda enjoy the extra little bit of visibility of the OEM, it's not anything that's going to make much of a difference 99.9% of the time.

SO,,,, I pulled the brackets off the Stad base and I'm running it alone as a shield. If / when I ever do more than just a casual putt close to home, just bolt the rest of the Stad on the base and roll,,, 'riding'

Kfad
06-04-2014, 02:05 AM
I don't do many long trips but once and a while I'll do a 3 hour ride in the countryside. I do hit the highway once and a while also.

I really am thinking of the Klock Werks for the cool look . What size. Is dark smoke ok? It looks great ! Do I need to see through it. Any KW owners out there? To be honest, I like all the shields but like the curves of the KW best.

Klock Werks Flare, I'm 6' 2 and can see over it so it doesn't interfere day or night.

luckyluciano
06-04-2014, 05:20 AM
Klock Werks Flare, I'm 6' 2 and can see over it so it doesn't interfere day or night.

Kfad , did you get the dark opaque!
Can you post some good pics !

luckyluciano
06-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Found it. It's 14". Thinking of the dark smoke black. Any Klock Werks owners out there with detailed testimonials. Does it kill the wind noise in your ears? That's one of the things I hate the most. The wind noise is defening. Also, with the stock shield , my riding glasses flew off my face at 110 Kms per hour/55 mph. I'd like to eliminate that as well.

hiflyer
06-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Found it. It's 14". Thinking of the dark smoke black. Any Klock Werks owners out there with detailed testimonials. Does it kill the wind noise in your ears? That's one of the things I hate the most. The wind noise is defening. Also, with the stock shield , my riding glasses flew off my face at 110 Kms per hour/55 mph. I'd like to eliminate that as well.

You might want to do a search. One of the guys, I think deerslayer, complained that the KW gave him an ear ache. Sometimes looks and performance are two different things.

luckyluciano
06-04-2014, 11:32 AM
You might want to do a search. One of the guys, I think deerslayer, complained that the KW gave him an ear ache. Sometimes looks and performance are two different things.

Thanks, I have been doing a lot of searching and asking questions. I have not noticed the ear ache post but I will look out for it. Mixed reviews for sure. Some love it , some love other makes.

Scotrod
06-04-2014, 12:03 PM
You know you want it,,, :stirthepot:

Kfad
06-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Kfad , did you get the dark opaque!
Can you post some good pics !

michaels
06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
I loved my Bell 9 on my Fjr but it was tooooooo noisy on the F6B
Now im wearing
Shoei Neotec Modular

djohncline
06-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Tried the Bell Mag 9 helmet today. Really liked it. Provides ear protection, windscreen, sunshade and bluetooth capability. Im undecided if I should upgrade the stock windshield or upgrade my helmet. I don't really see a point in doing both. Do the F6b riders here have any advice? Will this helmet do the trick?

Another consideration you need to keep in mind is seat position. Anything + or - from stock seat hight will be reflected in windshield noise. My Mustang dropped me 1" lower and changed the wind dynamic of me and passenger. Radio was not compromised. volume goes to 30. The SENA BT intercom was a fairly good choice. ( a little tiney) I can talk on phone and passenger too. Lessons learned, expensive I might add. I wished they would have left the windshield adjustment on the F6. I have been considering building it back into the fairing. then u'd have 4" up/down.

luckyluciano
06-05-2014, 06:56 AM

Kfad, Thanks for the pics. Is that the dark smoke or the tint?

I noticed on The Canadianmororcycle website the tint is a few $$$ more than the dark smoke. $302 vs $ $288.
Anyone know why?

imported_NMRed
06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Put a 15" Madstad on mine yesterday and went for a shake-down. This is the best accessory I've ever put on a bike. Full down and full tilt back, I get a gentle breeze about eyebrow level. Tilt forward so about 3/8" slot shows behind the lockscrew and the wind is above the helmet. No buffet at either setting. Radio went from 25 to 18 at 70 mph. Much cooler than behind the tall slipstream I had before, important at 109 degrees. I look over the screen by about 4 - 5 inches at it's lowest setting. A 13" may work just as well raised a little. I'm a shade over 6' with a 32" inseam, long torso and sit tall in the saddle. I highly recomend this windshield and the folks at Madstad are great to do business with..score10/10

Scotrod
06-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Yet another happy Madstad Customer,,,, :icon_biggrin:

Madstad also supports this Forum. :yes: There is a link direct to the Madstad F6B shields on our front page:

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.11546/.f

luckyluciano
06-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Yet another happy Madstad Customer,,,, :icon_biggrin:

Madstad also supports this Forum. :yes: There is a link direct to the Madstad F6B shields on our front page:

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.11546/.f

I hear the Madstad function is great. I just don't think I could live the look. Hats off to those that do.

BuzzzPhotos
06-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Have to say the 15" for me is sweet. The look really grew on me. Real happy with my decision.

Scotrod
06-06-2014, 08:09 AM
I just don't think I could live the look.

(Impersonating Clint Eastwood:)

Are ya gonna ride that bike or just stand there and look at it? :crackup:

Nah,, seriously, no one here ever bought a Madstad for it's looks, but most everyone who did buy one has indicated the appearance 'grew on them'.

When the 6 first came out, I thought it was thugly as hell,,,, Now look at me!!! :shock:

Hornblower
06-06-2014, 09:13 AM
I hear the Madstad function is great. I just don't think I could live the look. Hats off to those that do.

Initially, I looked at this the same way as you. The thing that changed my mind was realizing I could get a clear top to mount to the black base. Since you mainly notice the black base, the original low wind screen "bagger" look is retained but the less-noticeable clear top yields the great function. This made the Madstad a winner for me :icon_biggrin:.

Scotrod
06-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I also felt like HB,,, make that top shield go away,,,

I have a 15 Lt gray and Wife has 13 medium.

I went w Lt gray thinking it would be less visible (like clear) but also reduce glare a little compared to clear. Well, IMHO, it does reduce the glare a little, but,,, that light gray shield, in the sun,, is,,, light gray! Not light smoke, not 'solar' (like some Mem Shades, which really disappears well w/o glare) Yep, in the sun, the light gray can look,,,, light gray! LOL!!!

Wife has a black 6 and the med gray shield,,,,, If I had to do it all over again,,, I'd probably opt for med gray, but,,, that's just me,,, :crazy2:

luckyluciano
06-06-2014, 05:28 PM
I also felt like HB,,, make that top shield go away,,,

I have a 15 Lt gray and Wife has 13 medium.

I went w Lt gray thinking it would be less visible (like clear) but also reduce glare a little compared to clear. Well, IMHO, it does reduce the glare a little, but,,, that light gray shield, in the sun,, is,,, light gray! Not light smoke, not 'solar' (like some Mem Shades, which really disappears well w/o glare) Yep, in the sun, the light gray can look,,,, light gray! LOL!!!

Wife has a black 6 and the med gray shield,,,,, If I had to do it all over again,,, I'd probably opt for med gray, but,,, that's just me,,, :crazy2:

I didn't know it came in a BLUE!

Scotrod
06-06-2014, 08:48 PM
I didn't know it came in a BLUE!

From mama Honda? Nope.

From Honda of Russellville? (Also a Board Sponsor) Any color you want! :icon_biggrin:

http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/other_vehicle_inventory.asp

Didn't see the color ya want? All they need is a PPG paint code or OEM Honda color name and about 10 days,,,

shooter
06-07-2014, 07:18 PM
One thing for sure, a helmet upgrade is not going to cure the issues that are caused by that windshield. Ordered a Cee Baileys 11 inch smoke last week. I think that will be tall enough to solve my issues.

michaels
06-07-2014, 07:59 PM
One thing for sure, a helmet upgrade is not going to cure the issues that are caused by that windshield. Ordered a Cee Baileys 11 inch smoke last week. I think that will be tall enough to solve my issues.
you go from a open face helmet to a top brand helmet full face its day and night difference

michaels
06-07-2014, 08:05 PM
My FJR had a electric windshield and 90% of the time i rode with it down....like looking over not through a windshield....in 40+ years of riding many bikes (only 5 ft 6 ) the stock windshield works great for me. but i wear the best helmets. Sometimes when riding 800+ miles a day i do use earplugs.

luckyluciano
06-07-2014, 10:58 PM
I figured I was due for a new helmet and my dealer had a good price on them so I picked one up. So far it's nice to have the shield and sun visor.
No need to pull out the riding glasses or goggles.
Much to my surprise, it's still noisy although I don't feel the wind hitting my face unless I want it to by raising the shield. Hopefully I get used to the fit as the 3/4 helmet is a very snug fit.
Been used to shorty helmets all these years. Shorties are very comfortable but I doubt they provide much protection compared to the 3/4 helmet.
I definitely need a new windshield.

smokinjoe187
06-08-2014, 03:00 AM
ive tried many helmets
none keep out the wind noise till you change the screen...be safe enjoy
i will say i can ride to work with my modular in the up position on hot days and listen to my ipod at 10 at 70 mph...

luckyluciano
06-08-2014, 08:44 AM
and listen to my ipod at 10 at 70 mph...

Hi Smokinjoe....A little off topic but how do you go about using your iPod?
Out the saddlebad as the manual suggests or out of the front left compartment.
I have a music subscription to RDIO with awesome playlists. So far I have only used the headphone jack from the from compartment.
(

smokinjoe187
06-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Hi Smokinjoe....A little off topic but how do you go about using your iPod?
Out the saddlebad as the manual suggests or out of the front left compartment.
I have a music subscription to RDIO with awesome playlists. So far I have only used the headphone jack from the from compartment.
(

pretty simple go to the left saddlebag feel around at the top find the usb plug,plug it in and press the aux button twice you see ipod,you will have to start the app but you will have control ..
ride safe

shooter
06-08-2014, 09:09 PM
you go from a open face helmet to a top brand helmet full face its day and night difference

A helmet will not solve the windshield issue. I'm 6'1" and at 85 mph there is enough wind under my Shoei RF1100 that it tries to pull it off my head. It's even worse for my Gal on behind cause she sits up a little higher. Yeah a good full face is more aerodynamic than a Beanie or a 3/4. It's like putting a band aid on a cut that needs stitches.

luckyluciano
06-08-2014, 10:10 PM
pretty simple go to the left saddlebag feel around at the top find the usb plug,plug it in and press the aux button twice you see ipod,you will have to start the app but you will have control ..
ride safe

can I do that with an iPhone 5?

smokinjoe187
06-09-2014, 05:30 PM
can I do that with an iPhone 5?

you can get the iphone 5 to work but it requires a different cord its a lightning to charge and then headphone out..
not positive but i think you can only do the volume up and down and shuffle is not controlled from the up and down switch but by the iphone
you maybe better served using the bluetooth speakers in the helmet.then all you have to do is charge the phone..