PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Issues

HHK
05-31-2014, 06:17 PM
I purchased my F6B a couple of months ago and have about 1400 kms on it, obviously I'm from Canada. I love the bike but the dealership is something else. I don't know if anybody else has experienced this but I found out very quickly after I bought the bike that I was on my own - zero dealer support. I wanted to buy a throttle lock from them, they said "sorry but we can't get anything that works", so I got my own. I needed a GPS setup, again I was told, "sorry can't get anything that fits". I needed some saddle bag liners, again, "sorry but we can"t get any". I was told I could upgrade my windshield to a Goldwing windshield so I ordered it for an extra approx $400 installed. It came back much narrower and not the Goldwing size at all. The buffeting is ridiculous. They said "sorry, wish there was something we could do but that is the one for that bike". I have ordered a "Windbender" on line and of course my expense.

I thought I would try another Honda bike dealer so I went to the other major city in our province which I prefer not to mention. It was Saturday and this dealership is closed every Saturday.

Is this normal for Honda bike dealerships. I know that Harley dealerships at least are open and they are very willing to help. These are great bikes but if I had known this before, my purchase might have been different.

Anybody else on their own out there?

SpeedyWho
05-31-2014, 06:31 PM
I had similar issues, with my dealer. Since then they ended up closing.

Steve 0080
05-31-2014, 06:37 PM
There are bad apples in every bunch...not all bad...

Ixol Phaane
05-31-2014, 07:01 PM
I purchased my F6B a couple of months ago and have about 1400 kms on it, obviously I'm from Canada. I love the bike but the dealership is something else. I don't know if anybody else has experienced this but I found out very quickly after I bought the bike that I was on my own - zero dealer support. I wanted to buy a throttle lock from them, they said "sorry but we can't get anything that works", so I got my own. I needed a GPS setup, again I was told, "sorry can't get anything that fits". I needed some saddle bag liners, again, "sorry but we can"t get any". I was told I could upgrade my windshield to a Goldwing windshield so I ordered it for an extra approx $400 installed. It came back much narrower and not the Goldwing size at all. The buffeting is ridiculous. They said "sorry, wish there was something we could do but that is the one for that bike". I have ordered a "Windbender" on line and of course my expense.

I thought I would try another Honda bike dealer so I went to the other major city in our province which I prefer not to mention. It was Saturday and this dealership is closed every Saturday.

Is this normal for Honda bike dealerships. I know that Harley dealerships at least are open and they are very willing to help. These are great bikes but if I had known this before, my purchase might have been different.

:yikes:

I've been riding Hondas for over 35 years, and I gotta say I've seen some changes in the way motorcycle dealerships do business. Some are good, but others... not so much.

It used to be that a dealer would be a local entity, and might represent two manufacturers, three, tops. But now there are these "powersports dealers" that sell a half-dozen or more makes in one big building. They can't possible know the ins-n-outs of all the machines they carry. They're just big, corporate retailers with little to no heart.

I've seen several smaller local dealers disappear from my city (Phoenix), and these were shops that had great people and excellent customer service, for the most part. And it's a real shame.

You didn't say what sort of dealer you were trying to work with, but it sounds like they son't really care much about after-the-sale support.

I bought my F6B from one of these big, corporate, multi-make dealers, not because I wanted to, but because the smaller dealer in this case didn't want to do any legwork to get the yellow 2014 model I wanted. I guess they needed to clear a couple bikes from last year off their inventory. I understand that, but I made it clear I was buying with cash and didn't want red or black. Their loss.

I hope I'm not on my own now. Only time will tell if this big dealership will actually be any different than so many other money grubbers.

Best of luck to you as you try to find better support.

Keep the shiny side up! :icon_biggrin:

opas ride
05-31-2014, 07:02 PM
The closet local Honda dealer in my area just plain"sucks"..Stupid salespeople , if you can find one, lousy inventory, horrible service, and not an example of what it was years ago...As a result when I decided to buy an F6B I had to travel 125 miles for a dealer with a decent reputation and I am not sorry...Take very good care of their customers, have a nice inventory, and a decent service department with some techs than have half a brain and seem to care about you after the sale.....Hope you can find better success with another dealer...

Steve 0080
05-31-2014, 08:57 PM
Funny....I knew more about the F6 than my salesman....finally told him I needed to speak to the Sales Manager....

Stoppped by last week to look at a FC and the guy told me to take it for a ride....but knew nothing about the bike??????

Not sure how these folks feed their kids!!!!

Scotrod
05-31-2014, 09:15 PM
I really don't buy much of anything from the dealer,,, Aftermarket and OEM stuff is usually pretty easy to come by online,,, and less expensive.

BuzzzPhotos
05-31-2014, 09:22 PM
I stopped in Friday afternoon at a dealer in Durant, Oklahoma. Their showroom is full and they were really, really nice. They have aftermarket items on the shelf and 2 F6B's on the floor. Had a front tire in stock and would have installed it right then if I was ready. The owner even invited me to Church tomorrow. I felt bad for not buying from them in the first place.

Remember the Honda Dream? They have a white one on the floor that looks new. We called it the 305 Dream back in the day.

Bz'

LX2
05-31-2014, 09:31 PM
From the dealership I bought my F6B from, and my Goldwing and my Valkyrie Interstate and my Valkyrie Tourer and.....
I guess you get it.
Anyway, they treat me like I own the place and just like today, I was looking for a bag to carry on my luggage rack, let me take it and said if you like it, just pay for it next time you are by. They always match internet prices or beat them so.....
Now you see why I support them, guess I'm just lucky to have them close by

Rustysocket
06-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Do you have a specific question or are you just mad at your dealer?

Lots of good resources here, if you are patient and ask the right questions. Aftermarket is huge and no dealer could possibly stock or know every option. There job is to sell bikes to factory spec and service them. beyond that you are on your own.

And yes FWIW, I have a good dealer, not local, but worth the trip. I give them first shot before I order online. I take care of them and they take care of me.

ff73148
06-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Most dealers don't know how to sell motorcycles or accessories. They are not retailers and their sales staff is never trained in the art of selling. They are mostly motor heads that thought it was cool to be in the Motorsports Industry. I love visiting different dealers when ever I travel and I am amazed that some of them survive. I've learned that the dealer I buy my bike from might not be the dealer who services my bike or who I buy parts and accessories from. It's a shame.

hiflyer
06-01-2014, 06:29 PM
The biggest Honda dealer in OKC does not stock any Goldwings or F6Bs. I went in there and asked to look at one, and they said they don't sell any so you have to special order one. Thought to myself, well, you don't sell any because you don't have any. They are also a Victory dealer. I truly wonder how some people stay in business. Took my money east to Shawnee. Good folks there, and the biggest selection of OEM and aftermarket stuff I've ever seen. Parts dept. knows what's going on too. Great selection of riding gear too.

HHK
06-01-2014, 11:56 PM
I was surprised at how shortly after the sale I was left on my own to order any accessories. Probably not a high markup on the accessories but I know I would willingly pay extra to have someone advise what works and what doesn't and order the parts. I have to research everything on my own. The biggest surprise I had was when i went to another city on a Saturday and they had a permanent (not temporary) sign on the door saying "not open Saturdays and Sundays". From what I am reading this attitude is pretty common for Honda Bike Dealers.

On the up side, I do love the bike and I am learning a lot about it, enjoy working on it and am saving money doing my own work. We will carry on and I will stop whining!

Marauderm
06-02-2014, 02:28 AM
I went in serious about buying one for cash. Did my homework about prices in the US and gave him 1st crack at getting my business locally if he could come closer to the price quoted from another state. Told him I would purchase from him if he could come close. He said he would need some time to speak with corporate. I asked if I could test drive the one he had for this purpose and he copped an attitude. Stating" why should I do that, you are just going to fly half way across the country and purchase another bike". I had to remind him that "clearly I was a serious buyer if I was willing to fly across country, pay cash and drive the 2500 miles home". He reluctantly allowed me to drive around the block. I was I love. His best offer was the price on the sale sticker. I ended up buying from a private individual for 2500 less than that plus $5000 worth of upgrades on top.

kjelders
06-02-2014, 09:08 AM
I'm very fortunate. I bought mine locally and the owner of the dealership is one of the members here. (hondabikepro). If I'm over my head in doing something on the F6B, I know I can trust the work taking it to South Bound Honda.

Hornblower
06-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Where I bought mine, the service manager tried to convince me the F6B had a 6-speed transmission. Ya think I would ever go back there for service??? :icon_rolleyes: Thankfully, I can do almost any required service myself.

opas ride
06-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Just think how many car dealers would remain in business if they treated their customers like most bike dealers, especially Honda,...I know there are bad dealers everywhere and most of us have a story to tell..., but in general most motorcycle dealers are terrible with service and other after the sale attention....(except HD) which has made billions on taking care of the customer after the sale...Lots of way over-priced stuff, but they sell "boat loads" of HD branded crap!!........Honda could learn a lesson or two from them in my opinion.....

coffee_weasle
06-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Where I bought mine, the service manager tried to convince me the F6B had a 6-speed transmission. Ya think I would ever go back there for service??? :icon_rolleyes: Thankfully, I can do almost any required service myself.

i wouldn't mind having a 6th gear, could you ask him where it's located? :crackup:

Scotrod
06-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Cars, trucks, bikes,,,, As a rule, I never buy anything from the Dealer except,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a car, a truck, or a bike. :shrug:

Accessories? Why would I buy an accessory from a Dealer when 99 times out of a hundred, I know more about the car, truck, bike I just bought then he does,,,, Is he really gonna know Jack about the Accessories!?!?!

Some Dealers,,,, those who ride the same bike as we do, (like Dale, HondaBikePro), are probably the exception to that rule. :icon_wink:

We also have a couple Vendors here on the forum who ride 6's,,, :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

smokinjoe187
06-02-2014, 08:21 PM
i wouldn't mind having a 6th gear, could you ask him where it's located? :crackup:

can you even imagine how fast the 6 would be go if it had a six speed.....

smokinjoe187
06-02-2014, 08:26 PM

i have shopped at the same dealer for about 15 years..if you want a bike...they are there for you...accessories..not so much.. i built a vtx 1300 c with a bat wing fairing and bags and when the new owner crashed it the dealer called me to ask where i got all the parts from. now we have the interwebs so to be honest why would they stock parts??
every part you would ever want you can get from wingstuff....its the amazon for bikes!!

Rustysocket
06-02-2014, 09:06 PM
I'm very fortunate. I bought mine locally and the owner of the dealership is one of the members here. (hondabikepro). If I'm over my head in doing something on the F6B, I know I can trust the work taking it to South Bound Honda.

Great dealership to work with in the Puget Sound area :yes:

gray rider
06-03-2014, 07:50 PM
The local Harley dealership has a modest number of bikes on display but, OMG, they have accessories to the rafters! If they turned up the lights all the bling would blind you. The Honda dealer a mile down the road where I got my F6B has way too many bikes. They are squeezed together like sardines, but they have zero accessories for anything. I don't waste my time trying to order anything through them because invariably the item will never show up or it will be incorrect when it does. I bought my Harley, which I still ride, in 2005 and the local dealership is still sending coupons and offers 9 seasons later. I just bought a $500 replacement shield and quick disconnect mounts for my HD for $200 on a preferred customer special. Honda and other brand dealerships should study Harley Davidson and learn that the sale of the bike is just the beginning of the customer relationship not the end.

FlatSixBagger
06-04-2014, 04:14 PM
my dealer was good except the saleman told me the comm plug was an accessory plug, lol.

smokinjoe187
06-04-2014, 04:21 PM
The local Harley dealership has a modest number of bikes on display but, OMG, they have accessories to the rafters! If they turned up the lights all the bling would blind you. The Honda dealer a mile down the road where I got my F6B has way too many bikes. They are squeezed together like sardines, but they have zero accessories for anything. I don't waste my time trying to order anything through them because invariably the item will never show up or it will be incorrect when it does. I bought my Harley, which I still ride, in 2005 and the local dealership is still sending coupons and offers 9 seasons later. I just bought a $500 replacement shield and quick disconnect mounts for my HD for $200 on a preferred customer special. Honda and other brand dealerships should study Harley Davidson and learn that the sale of the bike is just the beginning of the customer relationship not the end.

I agree that harley does a way better job of marketing thier brand...

F6Pilot
06-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Whether it's bikes or accessories, at the end of the day it simply boils down to customer service. My local dealer is the self proclaimed largest Honda dealer in the world, selling more units than anyone else. Just don't expect anything else out of them once the sell is complete. They couldn't care less. At this point I've probably spent over 2k on parts and accessories after purchase which they either stocked or could order, but not a dime of it went to the local dealer because they have no concept of proper customer service.

Razco53
06-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Nothing but Kudos for Storm Lake Honda in Storm Lake ,Iowa.
Good service and very knowledgeable.
Went to a Mega dealer in S Dakota. No F6B's.... They tried to tell me that Honda would only give them one at a time....
must have been all of the Victory and Indians on the floor.