PDA

View Full Version : A little advice for measuring shields

RoadWeary
06-01-2014, 07:26 PM
I must be a short 5'11". I am deciding between the Cee Bailey's and the Clearview, so I measuring for both.

For the Cee Baileys, I had a helper hold a tape measure to the front of the shield. For me to see over with a couple of inches clearance I would need a 10.5. I think a 11'' would work well, but I also wanted a vent, which isn't an option for the 11". Cee Baileys recommends on their website a 13" for my height.

For the Clearview, I measured from the flat spot right above the info buttons, and I have about an inch clearance to see over the 14", the shortest they offer.

Like I said, I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I really don't want to be watching the top of the shield. The current shield is noisy, but as I go down the road I can feel that the breeze doesn't start hitting my helmet until about eye level.

Any advice on how you measured for your shields, and how it worked out for you is appreciated.

monkey-1
06-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Using the guide on their site, I went with the 11" Cee Baileys. I love the look and functionality of it. I could have gone with the 13", but I didn't want a vent. I'm 5'9" with a 34" inseam. If I were you, I would go with the 13" to get the vent. They make a great product, you should be pleased.

Steve 0080
06-02-2014, 08:40 AM
I believe there are two ways to measure for the shield….one from the rubber strip to the top of the shelf, this does not count for lean angle and the best way from the dash where the key goes vertically…..I must be the shield King as I have had 6 or 7…currently on the Clearview, small, sport ( wide base ) w/ vent, perfect for me. I can see over it, no air hitting my body or helmet and in a rain, the rain is deflected up due to the recurve. Hope this helps!

RoadWeary
06-02-2014, 09:19 PM
I believe there are two ways to measure for the shield….one from the rubber strip to the top of the shelf, this does not count for lean angle and the best way from the dash where the key goes vertically…..I must be the shield King as I have had 6 or 7…currently on the Clearview, small, sport ( wide base ) w/ vent, perfect for me. I can see over it, no air hitting my body or helmet and in a rain, the rain is deflected up due to the recurve. Hope this helps!

Do you mind me asking how tall are you?

Bruce B
06-02-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam. Had a 13 inch Cee Baileys with vent. Based on my experience, I think you'd be happier with the 13" rather than the 11". It would also allow the vent which I think is an essential addition.

Philbert40
06-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Get the taller shield with the vent....try it out, if it's to tall, take it and have it trimed.

Steve 0080
06-02-2014, 11:36 PM
I am 5’9’ and 30’ kinda tall wasted for a little guy!!!!

smokinjoe187
06-03-2014, 03:29 AM
from my experience and i bought most of them...wider base and taller than you think is the ticket...
So with that being said if you think 11 go 13...get the sport width it blocks the bad wind between the window and the mirror..
frankly those little flaps just look hideous on the 6

royr
06-03-2014, 04:49 AM
I have noticed that the height of the top of the windshield drops at highway speeds compared to just sitting on the bike. You may want to get a little taller WS than measured sitting on the bike.