PDA

View Full Version : Man , I cannot believe this happened....

CheckpointChcky
06-02-2014, 05:02 PM
I was at my vet's office getting some medicine for my cat and was backing into an awkward parking space when, you guessed it, I dropped the 6 on her right side. Nothing damaged really except right cruiser peg on engine guard is raised up but I just think I need to readjust the nuts underneath. I tried the advertised way to lift a Goldwing but could not do it. As I tried, I felt and heard something in my back pop so now I am on the ice bag. :icon_frown:

smokinjoe187
06-02-2014, 05:12 PM
I was at my vet's office getting some medicine for my cat and was backing into an awkward parking space when, you guessed it, I dropped the 6 on her right side. Nothing damaged really except right cruiser peg on engine guard is raised up but I just think I need to readjust the nuts underneath. I tried the advertised way to lift a Goldwing but could not do it. As I tried, I felt and heard something in my back pop so now I am on the ice bag. :icon_frown:

first off hope you feel better quickly...lift with your legs next time,go slow...p.ractice it with a spotter till you can do it alone...
but go slowly.

F6BPDX
06-02-2014, 06:28 PM
If it makes you feel any better I dropped mine on my test ride. :shhh::icon_doh:

CheckpointChcky
06-02-2014, 06:32 PM
It'll happen to everyone at least once in their M/C riding life.

coffee_weasle
06-02-2014, 06:37 PM
it happened to me in sturgis 2 years ago, but since it was a harley, no one really noticed

smokinjoe187
06-02-2014, 07:11 PM
it happened to me in sturgis 2 years ago, but since it was a harley, no one really noticed

it was only a harley.....

coffee_weasle
06-02-2014, 07:19 PM
it was only a harley.....

yep, lol

Scotrod
06-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Haven't laid the 6 over yet, but the prior bikes weren't so lucky! LOL!!

Heal up soon!

Ericb445
06-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Don't beat yourself up too bad....Happens to the best of us.
Rode to Sturgis three years ago, Dropped my Yamaha Stratoliner twice in two different parking lots.
-Eric

firetech
06-02-2014, 08:33 PM
First, CheckpointChcky , I hope our okay.

Dropped my 6 a few months ago in my garage.
I was setting it on the center stand and my boots were wet and slipped off the stand
and over on the right side it went. :icon_doh: :icon_redface:
Happened so fast.
Had it up faster than the wife could come out and say what was that... from all the adrenaline or anger :shrug:
Thankfully those engine and bag guards work as designed, no damage.

CheckpointChcky
06-02-2014, 09:11 PM
You guys are the greatest!

richw56
06-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Hey, I hope you feel better quickly!
I haven't dropped my F6B yet, but I think I just need a little more time :icon_wink: - I only picked it up from the dealer this past Friday.
I think just about everybody does it at one time or another.
I related to the guy who said he got the 6 back up right away before his wife could see what happened - it reminded me of the time I dropped my VTX in my own driveway, simply because I had gotten distracted by something and, of all the ridiculous things to do, I actually forgot that I had not yet put the kickstand down. I was instantly terrified that one of the neighbors might see my idiocy in action, and I think I had the bike back up in about two seconds. Of course, that one was a lot lighter than the 6...

CheckpointChcky
06-02-2014, 09:36 PM
I dropped my VTX 1300R once and was able to pick it right up using the right technique....this one, no.

JBnAZ
06-02-2014, 10:31 PM
There exist two types of bikers - those that have dropped their ride and those that will. It's happened to many riders.

Heal well!

Rustysocket
06-02-2014, 10:58 PM
I came home from a nice 200 mile ride and like another tried to put mine on the centerstand in the garage. One little slip and all of a sudden it was going down away from me... I had already watched the videos so I wasn't too worried, rather than risk my back, I just slowly let it down away from me and prayed that there was enough clearance between it and a very expensive car. I got really lucky with about 3/4" away from an expensive mess.

One thing I learned was when it happens, it happens very quickly and what I thought would never happen to me happened in an instant. I was wet, tired and not really paying attention to what I was doing. Lesson learned.

Glad your OK and didn't get hurt.

Elin in So. Cal.
06-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Yup. I have christened not one, but both sides of the Red Queen. Fortunately I was able to get her righted without any damage--unlike the Harley, that had bent pegs and cosmetic injury.

Teeny tiny scratches on those WONDERFUL guards, and heck, she just slipped a little way over, like a listing cruise ship. Not the ker-THUNK of the Harley. She's a classy ride, that RQ.

I was able to right her both times, once solo and once with help. There's a good video on YouTube on righting a Gold Wing, and I had seen it. So I used my legs and only used my arms and back to hold the brake lever and the seat handle. No damage to self (excepting that darned ego).

Welcome to the dropped bike crowd. You are in really GOOD company.:041:

Steve 0080
06-02-2014, 11:34 PM
any body who says they have not dropped their bike has not been riding very long…..

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Dropped my 6 a few months ago in my garage.
I was setting it on the center stand and my boots were wet and slipped off the stand

Boot doesn't have to be wet to slip off! Don't ask me how I know. :icon_cool:

filgolfnutSHIRTS
06-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Hope you feel better quick. I went down last week while stopping on a slanted road:icon_redface: but that youtube video got me up and going within a minute. I really appreciated the experience and am really impressed withe the way the Goldwing protects itself

GNW
06-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Try this one. Years ago, in the garage, Goldwing, forgot to put the side stand down. Boy, O'Boy will that stretch a fellow out !!!

hiflyer
06-03-2014, 08:14 AM
On a ride to Savannah one time, a friend of mine pulled up beside me at very busy intersection stop light. I looked over at him and his wife just in time to see his eyes go wide open and his BMW K1200lt start falling towards me. He had pulled up so close to me that when he fell into me, we both went down. So there we are with both bikes laying on their sides and traffic passing by at 50 mph now that the light had gone green. His wife was standing in the way to get my friends bike up, so I told her, "You're going to have to move." She just stood there, so the next thing I said, very loudly, was "MOVE IT!!!"
We got both bikes up and pulled into a 7/11 to check things out, then some dude walked up to us and asked, "You guys been riding long?" I'm sure we looked like the Keystone cops out there.

Dropped bikes? Happens to all of us, usually on more than one occasion. Embarrassing? Sure, but don't sweat it.

Steve 0080
06-03-2014, 08:40 AM
That reminds me of when my riding buddy pulled up to park next to me in a gravel lot, I was standing beside my bike when his bike fell into me, stuffing me under my bike!!! No damage to me although I was a little sore, his bike needed a windshield and a couple of other small things!!!

gray rider
06-03-2014, 07:28 PM
This is my 49th season of being a motorcyclist and there are not enough available electrons in this forum for me to cover all the horizontal motorcycle situations I've experienced. It's all part of the memory library we all compile. However, it does seem as if I'm much better at remembering the times when things have gone wrong rather than the vast majority of times when things have run smoothly.

motozeke
06-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Haven't laid the 6 over yet, but the prior bikes weren't so lucky! LOL!!

Heal up soon!

Same here, I've dropped every bike I've owned except this one. Dropped my Multistrada maybe half a dozen times, plus two lowsides. Poor thing. Stubby legs and adventure bikes don't mix.

firetech
06-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Just a little note I forgot to mention. Since the incident I added a little
piece of what I'll call anti skid to the stand, were you step. It like sandpaper with adhesive.
Seems to work out pretty good, gives a little confidence.

Ericb445
06-04-2014, 10:47 PM
piece of what I'll call anti skid to the stand, were you step. It like sandpaper with adhesive.

I did the same thing even before I installed the center stand on my bike.
I used skate board tape.

CheckpointChcky
06-04-2014, 11:02 PM

That sounds like a good idea.

SmallPasture
06-05-2014, 01:41 PM

I feel for ya CheckPoint!
The advertised way does work but like said in previous post, it's best to practice it before ya need it. I'm 5'-8 7/8" (I so wanna be 5'-9") and weight 155lbs after Thanksgiving and I've had to do this many times with my 1997 GL1500 SE and 2007 GL1800:banghead:. Oh and it always happens when I'm w/ harley riders!:icon_rolleyes:

srt8-in-largo
07-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Gotta love the drop guards on this bike; good stuff.

Ray H
07-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Dropped a couple of em. One was a BMW K1100LT in a Home Depot parking lot when I forgot to remove the disk brake lock. The second being in the garage just moving (duck-walking) my Hayabusa. Saw it was going to just clip the car and grabbed a handful of front brake with the front wheel cut hard right. OPPS! Lesson learned on when not to use the front brake. I'll try not to repeat any of the above with the F6.

Pap
07-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Hope you heal quickly!!!
I used to have a Royal Star Venture...A top heavy tank!
It only took a little slip on small gravel to get her going. No way to stop it, but you could slow it down. It had good guards as well.
GLad these heavy bikes come with them!
Get better soon!

darcym
07-14-2014, 11:55 PM
I dropped my BMW R1200RT in a parking lot once. It was night, and it didn't help that I was tip toe on that bike anyway. I reached back for the kickstand and felt it go, but I wasn't sure that it was in place. That side of the bike was in shadow, and I looked but couldn't see if the kick stand was down. I thought it was so I started to lean it over. By the time I realized it was leaning too far over and the kick stand was most assuredly not all the way down, it was too late.

A good samaritan helped me pick it up, thankfully.