PDA

View Full Version : How a flat six may be an advatage in certain collisions,,,

Scotrod
06-03-2014, 12:47 PM
This was posted in a GL thread:

Thursday I had an accident on U.S. 129 south of Blairsville, GA. A Harley Davidson ventured over on my side in a tight right hander and we sideswiped hard. The left head made a leg saver but I believe the bike is totaled. The plug cover is gone and the engine was leaking oil, anti-freeze and gas.
The H/D rider has 2 broken legs, a large gash in left shin and shoulder injuries. A 2 H/D was following so close he hit us both before we separated. He has a broken arm +?
I faired much better with only bruising, not too sure about left wrist its pretty swollen.

Looks like the GL engine took a whoopins!!! Would have been much worse for the GL rider if he didn't have that flat six partially between him and the other bike(s).

Be careful out there!

hiflyer
06-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Anyone can ride a bike in a straight line at speed. It's cornering and slow speed that require ability. You're right Scot, be careful out there, it's not just the cagers that can get you.

Steve 0080
06-03-2014, 01:57 PM
WOW!!! That guy was lucky.....why I prefer the road less traveled!!! Same reason I get nervous at or around the Dragon...ALL the fools want to go there!!!!!

MSGT-R
06-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Two years ago, I had a left turning VAN take me out mid-block in a 40 mph zone. My GL1100 was totalled, the frame bent the plastic shattered and the left cam gear busted right off the cam. I had my ankle pulled apart and now has 9 screws holding it together (it works 98% fine). I swerved a the last moment to avoid a t-bone.

The Dodge mini van was towed away too.

If I had been on my Magna, I probably would have had massive lower leg damage.

motozeke
06-03-2014, 06:49 PM
This was posted in a GL thread:

Thursday I had an accident on U.S. 129 south of Blairsville, GA. A Harley Davidson ventured over on my side in a tight right hander and we sideswiped hard. The left head made a leg saver but I believe the bike is totaled. The plug cover is gone and the engine was leaking oil, anti-freeze and gas.
The H/D rider has 2 broken legs, a large gash in left shin and shoulder injuries. A 2 H/D was following so close he hit us both before we separated. He has a broken arm +?
I faired much better with only bruising, not too sure about left wrist its pretty swollen.

Looks like the GL engine took a whoopins!!! Would have been much worse for the GL rider if he didn't have that flat six partially between him and the other bike(s).

Be careful out there!

So I know this isn't the point of the post, but seriously WTF is it with Harley riders and jamming up into formations? That along with the lack of gear and bar hopping, it's like safety is beside the point when you go H-D. W the total F... :banghead:

JBnAZ
06-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Lucky all will live to ride another day. I give the GW rider credit, my initial reaction would have been to finish the job and end their poor riding style, permenantly.

Bike or cage - you try and kill me, don't be shocked when I return the gesture. :icon_wink:

Got me thinking about why police ride side by side and not in a staggered formation, seems plain dumb to me. Leaves no room to maneuver when required.

We often have mixed bikes, some sport, many cruisers, a few sport tourers. Before every ride we have a chat about varying braking capability so cruisers don't follow sport bikes with big brakes too closely and fail to stop in time.

Have fun, be safe - thanks for sharing the dramatic pic and story.

Scotrod
06-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Everytime I look at the pic, I wonder what the outcome for the GL rider would have been if the GL had a V-twin engine,,, :icon_frown: (All my prior bikes were either single or V-twin)

As far as the actual incident,,, We all know the type of bike used by the guy(s) who crossed the yellow line had nothing to do with it,,, Could have been anyone/anybike.

Sounds like the (2) were going too fast for conditions, but then again, we've all been there / done that once or twice ourselves,,,

Be careful, and even then, no guarantee everyone else will be doing the same.. :icon_wink:

billphoenix
06-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Got me thinking about why police ride side by side and not in a staggered formation, seems plain dumb to me. Leaves no room to maneuver when required.

I asked about this during my motorcycle safety course. The professional police riders ride very dangerous side by side. They said it was for "public perception". They know it's not right but it looks authoritative to the public riding side by side.
Not for me, stagger is the only way to go - if you want longevity!

RoadWeary
06-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Glad to hear you are mostly OK. Must have been a shock!

Scotrod
06-03-2014, 10:10 PM
I asked about this during my motorcycle safety course. The professional police riders ride very dangerous side by side. They said it was for "public perception". They know it's not right but it looks authoritative to the public riding side by side.

Evidently some of the 'Club' riders want to make the same impression as those LEO's,,,

:jerkit:

Very few mounted LEO 'pairs' here, (most solo) but can't say I've ever seen 'em ride other than staggered,,, :shrug:

Steve 0080
06-03-2014, 11:32 PM

Got to remember..the POPO ride for a living and ride with the same guys years on end….I didn’t think it was an issue…..

naga viper
06-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Sorry to hear glad you are ok for the most part.
Sux about bike especially since wasn't your fault.
may have given a beating? Hopefully insurance is speedy for you.