PDA

View Full Version : Tool kit Canada only?!

SCMike
06-04-2014, 10:46 AM
This is probably old news to all of you who have had your F6B longer than the two days I've owned mine, but it really ticked me off.
I was having a really hard time using the helmet holder, trying to get the D-ring around that pin. I was reading the owner's manual, and it says to use the helmet holder wire in the fairing pocket. Oh! That should make it easier. But there is no helmet holder wire in my fairing pocket. So I called the dealer, and told him I was missing the wire.
He said it's probably in the tool kit. Well, I haven't even checked out the tool kit. I was surprised to learn that I don't get one. There is a place prepared for it in my left saddlebag, and the rubber strap to hold it in place is there, but there is no tool kit. The manual says the tool kit is "Canada Only."
Why in the world do Canadians get a tool kit and US residents don't? Why sell a bike without a tool kit?

FlatSixBagger
06-04-2014, 11:20 AM
I got the helmet strap with mine but no tool kit

Scotrod
06-04-2014, 12:01 PM
I think I might have an old Yamaha or Honda VTX 1800 tool kit laying around,, That is, if I haven't thrown the cheap-azz POS's away yet,,, Make me an offer!!! :icon_biggrin:

marmilia
06-04-2014, 12:36 PM

Same here.

Scotrod
06-04-2014, 12:55 PM
So I called the dealer, and told him I was missing the wire.
He said it's probably in the tool kit.

Yup,,, right next to the 6 speed transmission,,, :icon_doh:

Salesman: Usually someone you contact to make major purchases. Commonly known to lie and/or simply not know what they heck they are talking about,,, :shock:

Wife got 'the wire' with her 6. Don't remember getting a wire with mine. Owners manuals were both under the rubber 'strap' in saddlebag.

Never really have used any OEM tool kit on any bike as I have my own tools plus carry a small assortment with me in the bike. OEM kits usually lay around till they get chunked,,,

richw56
06-04-2014, 04:32 PM
The helmet wire came with my 6 - it was in the left saddlebag along with the manual.
You're supposed to have received that.

No tool kit.
I agree it seems stupid that Canadians get the tool kit, but those in the USA do not.
I can't imagine what the rationale behind that could possibly be.

Ericb445
06-04-2014, 06:06 PM
If your mad about not getting a Junk tool kit.....Your really gonna be mad when you find out Canadians get ABS standard...:duck:

Rustysocket
06-04-2014, 07:21 PM
I got the helmet wire, no tool kit.

Gripper
06-04-2014, 07:26 PM
If your mad about not getting a Junk tool kit.....Your really gonna be mad when you find out Canadians get ABS standard...:duck:

Hey,

I understand your points......however, Honda Canada charges us about $1750.00 for the extended warranty while you "Southern People (that's the U.S. from where I live)" can get it for $500-$600. If you want me to send you my tool kit and you send me the $1000.00 difference (after adjusting for currency) for the extended warranty, I am in :) okay....I am being an ass but it doesn't just work one way (as in advantage Canadians all the time :)).

Gripper

Ericb445
06-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Couldn't you just call a US Honda Dealer and buy the Extended Warranty?
Just wondering:shrug:
Im not mad about not getting a crappy tool kit with my bike and no ABS never really upset me as well.
Now, no Cruise Control.....thats another story.

tinkerman
06-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Hey,

I understand your points......however, Honda Canada charges us about $1750.00 for the extended warranty while you "Southern People (that's the U.S. from where I live)" can get it for $500-$600. If you want me to send you my tool kit and you send me the $1000.00 difference (after adjusting for currency) for the extended warranty, I am in :) okay....I am being an ass but it doesn't just work one way (as in advantage Canadians all the time :)).

Gripper

Hey Gripper.....what actually comes in the Canadian tool kit. I am picking up a bike in Vancouver in two weeks and heading for the east coast....have to install a few things like mini floorboards and highway pegs.....anyway you could post a list or even better a photo of the tool kit contents. Sorry for being a PITA.

tinkerman

Scotrod
06-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Hey Gripper.....what actually comes in the Canadian tool kit. I am picking up a bike in Vancouver in two weeks and heading for the east coast....have to install a few things like mini floorboards and highway pegs.....anyway you could post a list or even better a photo of the tool kit contents. Sorry for being a PITA.

tinkerman

If ya REALLY got to have one,,,,, And have a spare ~85~ bucks burnin a hole in yer pocket,,,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Tool-Kit-GL1800-Goldwing-1800-GL1800A-Gold-Wing-89010-MCA-780-/331058874591

tinkerman
06-05-2014, 02:17 PM
If ya REALLY got to have one,,,,, And have a spare ~85~ bucks burnin a hole in yer pocket,,,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Tool-Kit-GL1800-Goldwing-1800-GL1800A-Gold-Wing-89010-MCA-780-/331058874591

No, I don't REALLY have to have one....but I do want enough chit to install a set of highway pegs, mini floorboards for the missus, a gps mount and a few other odds and ends when I get out on the west coast.....6000 km away from my home base. If it isn't in the kit, and thanks for posting the pic, then I will bring it with me.....shouldn't need anymore than a set of Allan keys and a small wrench or two.

In the bigger picture on this issue of a tool kit, I am 55 years old, been running bikes for most of those years by far, and even in recent years spent most of my time on 40 year old bikes. Going without a small, lean, condensed set of tools would be like going without my teeth....I have found a set of tools to be very helpful to other bikers and around the campsites and or motels we were using over the years, as much as they were helpful in keeping together the old iron I was running.

tinkerman

Scotrod
06-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I doubt any OEM kit would have enough tools of the right type to mount accessories. (As I'm sure most are aware of, many USA-made accessories don't use metric fasteners. Lotsa metric wrench's will generally work on 'American' bolts, but small allen screws are another story,,,)

I've carried my own 'tool kits' on all my bikes for many moons now. Granted, my current 'kit' does not have a spark-plug socket like Honda's, but Geez,,, "Changin' plugs out on the road" on anything I've owned went to the wayside several decades ago,,,

Not that it matters, but I put together a far-greater variety of useable tools than what's included in the OEM kit for my 6. Wrapped 'em in a $25 toll roll and still didn't spend $85,,, :shrug:

Tbone56
06-05-2014, 08:38 PM

Me too.

Tbone56
06-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Me too.

Riding with some friends in NC a couple of weeks ago and my MBL risers started coming loose. One of the other riders had a small compact set of tools, socket set and allen wrenches. That will be the next thing I add to the saddlebags.

Gripper
06-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Riding with some friends in NC a couple of weeks ago and my MBL risers started coming loose. One of the other riders had a small compact set of tools, socket set and allen wrenches. That will be the next thing I add to the saddlebags.

ScotRod....thanks for letting Tinkerman know what was in the Toolkit. Eric....I wish I could buy the Extended Warranty in the U.S. but don't think I can .....would be sweet though! :)

Terje
06-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Not only Canada you get a complete tool kit in Sweden also:icon_mrgreen:

XKnight
06-25-2014, 04:43 PM
T
No tool kit.
I agree it seems stupid that Canadians get the tool kit, but those in the USA do not.
I can't imagine what the rationale behind that could possibly be.

Apparently Honda doesn't trust us stupid Americans to use tools. :yikes:

FF-Ed
09-03-2014, 01:21 AM
used the toolkit out of my Suzuki Volusia...

it had everything I needed, open end wrenches, allen head wrenches...

a bunch of other tools.....

HMMM I really need to take that outa there...

Score! one free toolkit:banana:

ISLANDER1089
09-03-2014, 10:34 AM
I also learned that Canadians didn't get a deluxe model in 2013 but I did get the tools and ABS.

Clutch
09-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Apparently Honda doesn't trust us stupid Americans to use tools. :yikes:

Wait, you mean we can't just use a hammer on everything? :twitch:

MarcPW
09-04-2014, 04:21 AM
Here in New Zealand on my F6B Standard 2013 I have ABS and the Tool Kit including the wire for the helmet.