PDA

View Full Version : DEHYDRATION - VERY REAL...VERY SCARY!

Westernbiker
06-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Here is a write-up from Barry Caraway of 'Cyclerides.com' This is a very serious medical condition we all have to watch out for, espically us desert rats! DEHYDRATIO!:yikes: Now that temps here in the valley of the sun are reaching 110 degrees and will soon be 115 degrees + (122 degrees is our record:shock:) this is good information for ALL of us to know. Please take the time to read.:biggthumpup:

Dehydration
How to Avoid and Treat.

Well, we knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Temperatures in the Phoenix area are now getting to over 110 degrees. This is no big surprise, we do live in the desert and it has done it every year for the last 33 years that I have been here. But we do have to live in it, ride in it and survive in it. The last one is the most important and there is one very nasty silent enemy that you have to pay attention to, especially if you are going to ride in it, and that is dehydration. Every year I draw attention to this very serious condition, and every year I get a note of thanks from someone who benefited by this article. So whether we have lived here for 30 years or new to the valley, it is good to be reminded that we need to be aware that it can happen quickly.

The following article was done about 7 years ago recounting MY personal experience with dehydration and it needs to be repeated, especially with the forecasted heat. I thought I was a tough guy and this dehydration thing couldn't happen to me, but I was wrong. It is very real and can be very scary, especially if you are riding either as a rider or passenger. Please read the following, follow the suggestions and be very careful as we reach the extreme temperatures over the next couple of weeks.

One thing that we all have to pay attention to and be extremely careful about this time of year is dehydration. Dehydration is a loss of water and important blood salts like potassium and sodium which can be very serious, especially when riding a motorcycle. It occurs when the amount of water in the body falls below normal, which, in turn, disrupts the balance of sugars and salts (electrolytes) in the body. A lot of us, especially those that are new to the area, don't really know that much about dehydration in general, and certainly not as it applies to riding. I didn't know that much about it either until about 5 years ago when Mr. Dehydration introduced himself to me as I was riding South down I-17 just North of Rock Springs. He made a believer out of me. It is one of those days that I won't soon forget, and it taught me a big lesson about not getting into that situation again. I, like a lot of other riders, had underestimated the impact of dehydration on my body.

I was heading back to the Valley in the late afternoon heading into temperatures of about 109 degrees, which was of course much hotter on the Interstate. About 20 miles North of Rock Springs I started noticing that I had cotton mouth so bad that I couldn't have mustered up a spit for a $100 bill. A few miles later I noticed that my sweat glands were no longer producing any sweat. My arms and face were completely dry. Shortly after that I remember that I starting having blurred vision, almost like I was seeing stars followed by a dizzy feeling and weakness in my muscles, like I really wasn't in complete control. Not being an expert in dehydration, or for that matter ever experiencing it before, I didn't know clinically what was going on, but I had a pretty good idea that was what was happening.

My immediate problem was, I didn't have any water with me, and I was still about 15 miles from Rock Springs where I could get some. The closer I got to water the worse my symptoms were getting. More blurred vision, getting more unsteady and weaker by the mile. It was like when I started going downhill physically, it was a rapid decent and every mile I rode doing 75 mph in 107 degree temps with no windshield just seemed to be sapping every ounce of moisture out of my body. I was almost to the point that I couldn't even swallow and considered stopping and letting my riding buddy go get me some water. I wasn't sure that I was actually going to be able to make it. But I decided to focus while counting down each mile in hopes that I would soon get to water.

We finally made it to the gas station next to the Rock Springs Cafe. For me, that old place had never looked so good. It was truly an oasis in the desert. I promptly threw down the kick stand and headed to the cooler to make my claim on the biggest bottle of water I could find and downed it in two gulps. I followed that with a big bottle of Gatorade. It wasn't long until I was starting to regain some of my faculties while getting back to normal vision and able to think straight. Needless to say, this put a little scare in me and I learned my lesson without it turning ugly on me. Now when I am riding in the heat I pay attention to maintaining hydration in my body.

Now, what should you do to avoid what happened to me?
Here are some tips to keep yourself in good hydration all the time and while riding.

1. Keep the direct sun off of your skin. Wear a light colored long sleeve shirt over your arms and a helmet or a bandanna on your head. Exposing your skin to sun and wind is a double whammy that only increases fluid loss from your body. Wear generous sunscreen on exposed areas. Your brain is about 75 percent water, so anything you can do to keep your head covered is a good thing. A helmet can go a long way in preserving fluids in your body when it is extremely hot.

2. Pour water over your shirt. A good way to create a natural evap cooler for your body is to pour water over you arms, neck and the front of your shirt. While you are riding this provides a cooling sensation for your body. You could also use a cooling vest that holds water in.

3. Drink LOTS of water. You should be drinking at least 8 ounces of water every hour when riding and probably more. Sports drinks like Gatorade are also good as they replenish needed electrolytes as well as fluid. Caffeinated drinks such as tea, coffee, and soda pop, as well as alcoholic drinks, should not be considered as alternatives for hydration. In fact, caffeine and alcohol can actually contribute to dehydration.

4. Drink water BEFORE you are thirsty. Once you have gotten to the point that your mouth is bone dry, you are on your way to dehydration. It is best to drink a bottle of water before you take off for a ride.

5. Take in more fluid than you are losing. If you are not making a trip to bathroom regularly, or your urine is a dark color, this means you are not getting enough liquids in your body. This is something to pay attention to daily, not just when riding.

6. A good idea for keeping you hydrated while you are riding is a CamelBak Hydration System. This is a 70 ounce pack that fits on your back with a tube that comes around for you to drink water while you are riding. Another good idea are the cooling vests that you soak with water before you ride.

7. Symptoms of dehydration: Thirst, Dry Mouth, Dry Tongue, Fatigue, Dark Colored Urine, Infrequent Urination, Dry Skin, Rapid Pulse, Dizziness, Blurred Vision.

choptop
06-05-2014, 04:57 PM
First time I ever road any distance/rode for an extended period was when I went to Sturgis for the 1st time in '02. Being inexperienced I ended pulling off the road, feeling the effects of dehydration, took me a couple of hours to feel normal. Thanks for the tips.

bobbyf6b
06-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Cup holders aren't "cool" but I have one on each bike. I carry a bottle of water with me 90% of the time. If I'm going on a long ride I pack a small cooler with more drinks. I also like to ride with long pants and long sleeves. It keeps me cooler. And full finger gloves. The hot wind off the road will burn your fingers.

Summer in Phoenix is awesome. "fireybat"

Oh ya. It's a good idea to carry a plate of some kind to put your kick stand on. Kick stands are known to go right through asphalt out here. Even a smashed aluminum can will work in a pinch.

And the tar snakes. They're like riding on melted wax.

Elin in So. Cal.
06-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Two words: Wet Vest. I have one, keep it wet and frozen in the freezer (so the water doesn't get "stinky" in the gallon plastic bag.)

And water. Lots. of. water.

In addition to that, I take on long day trips where the temps go into the 90s some quart baggies of cut up fresh fruit in with the frozen water bottle and wet vest, which goes in a soft-side carrier.

I take baggies of
grapes
watermelon
canteloupe
honeydew
strawberries

Snacking on these really keeps you hydrated, and adds necessary micro nutrients and non-sugary-calories to your day.

motozeke
06-06-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm a big fan of cool vests, but this thing is the shiznit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3PkTZ3qvQ

Steve 0080
06-06-2014, 05:21 PM
All of the above is why I ride at night in the summer time....went out Wed night for about 50 miles and needed a long sleeve sweat shirt...may go out tonight as well... Night time is the ony time!!!!

CheckpointChcky
06-12-2014, 01:31 AM
I notice that when I take long rides, I develope inner thigh leg cramps later in the evening long after I have finished riding for the day. Upon doing a little research, I found out that this can be a common problem among bikers. One suggestion was to drink Gatorade as evaporation can cause a depletion of electrolytes thus causing the muscles to cramp up. So, on my last trip, I downed two bottles of the lemon-lime Gatorade and I did not have one cramp at all. Conclusion? My cramps were caused by dehydration and loss of electrolyte balance. I will always carry Gatorade when I travel on the bike from now on.