PDA

View Full Version : Why it's a good thing to pass trucks....quickly

hiflyer
06-05-2014, 11:10 PM
This is not the first time this has happened to me. I live just a couple miles off the interstate, so I frequently get on it just to cruise. Tonight a coke truck ahead of me had a blow out on the rear and the disintegrating tire caused the destruction of the wheel well area and after the tire came off, the disintegration of the wheel itself. I've never seen so much debris flying around. I have a riding buddy that I am constantly having to tell him to get on around those trucks. Don't just pull up beside them to pass and just stay there. One time while passing a truck pulling a trailer house, the trailer house had a wheel come completely off, it bounced about 6 foot high and I actually had to swerve towards the trailer to avoid tire tracks in my face.

Point is, when passing anything, don't lollygag around, get on around them and be on your toes all the time.

F6B content for this post............One can pass anything with ease riding an F6B!

bobbyf6b
06-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Being a trucker myself, I agree. Get by ASAP.

Not only due to potential danger but we get annoyed with lolly gaggers. :banghead:

Philbert40
06-05-2014, 11:19 PM
You are so right! I always hang back till I get a clear shot....and zoom! I'm gone.

Bruce B
06-06-2014, 01:41 AM
You are so right! I always hang back till I get a clear shot....and zoom! I'm gone.

+1

SmallPasture
06-06-2014, 07:15 AM
I love Truckers!! God Bless yalll!! Trucks, eh not so much!:nono:

GONRDN
06-06-2014, 07:27 AM
+1

+2

Scotrod
06-06-2014, 07:52 AM
I love Truckers!! God Bless yalll!! Trucks, eh not so much!:nono:

Yep!!!

On the road, I'd much rather be ~around~ a professional trucker any day than some ditzy 'soccer mom',,, :yikes:

Hornblower
06-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Good advice! I had a narrow escape a few years ago when the entire exhaust system fell off the truck in front of me. I took evasive manuevers and managed to miss it but it was really close. A lady in a car that was following, but in another lane, came alongside following that and I saw here mouth the words, "that was close". I nodded in agreement :shock:.

kjelders
06-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Great reminder. I do the same and not leisurely pass trucks. I'm out in the passing lane grab a hand full of throttle and gone. If you happen to be slabbing it on I40, You might as well stay in the passing lane with full throttle. It's nothing but one long semi train. :yikes:

Scotrod
06-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Even if there are no loose parts or part of a load coming loose from an 18, there are lots of blind spots that easily conceal a bike,,, :nono:

So many times we cuss someone for pulling over on us, but many times it's because we are in their blind spot,,, :spank:

Be careful out there, and give the big-rigs the space and respect they deserve.
The vast majority of those drivers do a great job! :yes:

fast eddie
06-06-2014, 02:43 PM
As a truck driver for over 40 yrs my advice stay back far enough anything an everything can fall off when able go by fast as you can. Had a friend yrs ago passed a truck the tire blew apart an piece of tire hit him an broke his foot he even had on boots. Can you say bad timing ?

tinkerman
06-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Good reminder.

tinkerman

cwjj2001
06-07-2014, 08:45 AM
when your riding one of these trucks are never in the way...lol
http://youtu.be/8tyUSg7FsDU
.batman-smilie.

shooter
06-07-2014, 07:09 PM
This is not the first time this has happened to me. I live just a couple miles off the interstate, so I frequently get on it just to cruise. Tonight a coke truck ahead of me had a blow out on the rear and the disintegrating tire caused the destruction of the wheel well area and after the tire came off, the disintegration of the wheel itself. I've never seen so much debris flying around. I have a riding buddy that I am constantly having to tell him to get on around those trucks. Don't just pull up beside them to pass and just stay there. One time while passing a truck pulling a trailer house, the trailer house had a wheel come completely off, it bounced about 6 foot high and I actually had to swerve towards the trailer to avoid tire tracks in my face.

Point is, when passing anything, don't lollygag around, get on around them and be on your toes all the time.

F6B content for this post............One can pass anything with ease riding an F6B!

You are exactly right. I let the car or bike in front of me clear the rig then I get around quickly. I've seen caps come off and complete wheels come off. Few weeks ago saw a f150 with a single axle enclosed 12 ft trailer. Right wheel and hub assy came off the trailer and as he was doing about 80 it took him about a half mile to stop it. he used every inch of the interstate including both shoulders. Anyone beside him would have been in serious trouble.

Wild Bill
06-07-2014, 08:26 PM
While we are on this subject of trucks I thought I would share this blind spot info.... I don't completely agree with all the area around the truck the photo shows as a blind spot.But I adjust my mirrors to work for me.....Good advice on the passing issue.And now it is summer time and with the higher temps them recaps will be coming apart a lot.

fxdl2051
06-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Semi's aren't good company, the rule is if you can't see the driver in his mirror, he probably can't see you. Lots of guys run retreads, tires aren't cheap and if they're underinflated, double the possibility of failure. Coming down a mountain you can spot a rookie, he's the one that has billowing blue smoke coming from his overheated brakes which could easily fail or end up as shrapnel if he doesn't just run you down. Forget duallies, good cross wind and those things are like slinkies. Besides, you never know when a trucker has doctored their logs driving into their down/sleep time to make a drop on time. Those trucking schools turn you loose after a month and while companies will then train you for a few more weeks, they don't all have a good safety record. Also, thanks to NAFTA, you never know what kind of junk is driving north of the border. I have a world of respect for truckers, it's a tough, dangerous, solitary life and most of the drivers out there are pros, but you never know.
ss^,
Ken

BubbaJePH
06-08-2014, 07:24 PM
I was riding behind a large dump truck on I 95 just south of Fredericksburg VA when it blew out a tire. I was lucky (By The Grace Of GOD) to make it through the road gators and flack. When I got to my destination, I had a lap full of tire. Since then, drop a gear and take off around them.