PDA

View Full Version : Vtx 1800 Retro Vs F6B

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Hi!
First post here but i've been following you guys since
Few weeks. Gotta vtx 1800 2003 r and love it. But...
It seems that at night, i dream of someone else... Yep
This F6B is getting me crazy about her... Will i cheat on my Vtx and
Switch my love???
Is there any of you who had a vtx before and can
Tell me what big improvement or + or - between both?
Im really close on a deal on a brand new one... Just holding myself
And trying to analyse this situation the best i can. I love to travel long distance,
I like the comfort, power, liability of my vtx
But i think i can get more with the 6. Any regrets from the obe who sold it?
My bike is paid. Am i stupid to go after a new one and... Spend again?
Or do it really worth it? Honestly, comparing all the plus and minus.
Thanks!

Scotrod
06-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Test ride a 6,,,, :icon_wink:

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Test ride a 6,,,, :icon_wink:
Did a short one, at a honda dealer... We were a GROUP of ten, 8 of us were crazy dangerous drivers. Didn t have the time to appreciate or not... Thinking more about my safety! Was Done the WRONG way with the dealer. Mix of sports bike etc. 10 at the time, 15 minutes of dangerous driving. I m trying to do another one today. But if owners of vtx can tell a few words i would appreciate... If there s any!

fast eddie
06-07-2014, 10:24 AM
you sir are in the same dilemma I was in. I have a 2003 1800 VTX set up for touring, mustang seat, fairing ,bags etc. The love of my life, I have over 70,000 great miles. While taking her in for a valve adjustment ( as required ) I saw the F6B :icon_redface: got my attention my dealer said would you want to sit on her ? mistake 1 and I did. Do you want to ride her ? mistake 2. I have had over 30 motorcycles in my life time NOTHING and I mean NOTHING compares to a F6B ! I looked at and rode a HD street glide and Victory cross country both similar to my VTX but while being great bikes not in the ballpark of a F6B:jerkit: I could go on but like the guys here say ride it you will be amazed

RickW
06-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi!
First post here but i've been following you guys since
Few weeks. Gotta vtx 1800 2003 r and love it. But...
It seems that at night, i dream of someone else... Yep
This F6B is getting me crazy about her... Will i cheat on my Vtx and
Switch my love???
Is there any of you who had a vtx before and can
Tell me what big improvement or + or - between both?
Im really close on a deal on a brand new one... Just holding myself
And trying to analyse this situation the best i can. I love to travel long distance,
I like the comfort, power, liability of my vtx
But i think i can get more with the 6. Any regrets from the obe who sold it?
My bike is paid. Am i stupid to go after a new one and... Spend again?
Or do it really worth it? Honestly, comparing all the plus and minus.
Thanks!

There is really no comparison. They are totally different bikes.
I have a VN 2000 which is very similar to your VTX 1800. I have ridden lots of VTX 1800's also.
The F6B will be smoother and handle a lot better. For long distances the F6B is the way to go. There is nothing wrong with the VTX, just a different type of ride. Have both and get the best of everything.
Rick

Dirtstiff's F6B
06-07-2014, 11:13 AM
2005 VTX 1800 best bike I've ever owned.
loaded with everything and I mean everything never a problem. but not quite a true touring bike. the f6 is a touring bagger with Cruiser characteristics. best of all worlds. and of course not to mention reliability above all. superior handling over the VTX. similar engine performance, both incredibly fast. v-twin thump compared to a bike that sounds like a Porsche. almost zero shop maintenance required on the 6. although my valves on the VTX rarely need adjusting. the f6 is the funnest bike I have ever ridden. and did I say plush. and like the VTX it will spank about all other bikes out there.
just my experience
Jim

dudeonit
06-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Selling my 2005 VTX1800F and not looking back.

Loved it for 9 years but the F6B out-handles it.

Power delivery is more linear.

More stock creature comforts : MP3, Radio,( heated grips, self-cancelling turn signals, center stand, passenger backrest if you get the deluxe.)

I can go so much faster, smoother, longer on the F6B.

JMHO

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 12:10 PM
you sir are in the same dilemma I was in. I have a 2003 1800 VTX set up for touring, mustang seat, fairing ,bags etc. The love of my life, I have over 70,000 great miles. While taking her in for a valve adjustment ( as required ) I saw the F6B :icon_redface: got my attention my dealer said would you want to sit on her ? mistake 1 and I did. Do you want to ride her ? mistake 2. I have had over 30 motorcycles in my life time NOTHING and I mean NOTHING compares to a F6B ! I looked at and rode a HD street glide and Victory cross country both similar to my VTX but while being great bikes not in the ballpark of a F6B:jerkit: I could go on but like the guys here say ride it you will be amazed

Glad to hear that! I know about the paint issuee, some complaining about the pegs too low in turns.... But still, i love the engine. Vtx has been great so far but after 10 years, i m ready for another thrill! Next year im planning montreal-vancouver, then going south and coming all way back by the States. Need a good horse to do the trip ! Really appreciate your comment! Thanks

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Indeed my vtx was and still a great one! Maybe it s the fact of leaving lots of chrome, great paint (red candy) and geat memories. I was curious to hear from previous owners of vtx, if they were missing it or on the opposite glad that they made the move , even if they loved it.
I will do another road test in the morning of monday, all alone this time and for an hour! I will test it badly!!!!
We don t (????) have the deluxe version here in canada, only the basic one with abs. Im already planning to add heated grips, floorboard ( big or small?), large rack, 11 windshield or 13 ( im 5,10) , highway pegs .always lloking at all your posts to get advises and opinions.

Right now they have few 2013 left. Were selling it at 23.000$.
The deal now is 18,500$

I think the vtx is slowly leaving my mind....

Ixol Phaane
06-07-2014, 01:26 PM

I think the vtx is slowly leaving my mind....

:shhh: Let it goooooo.
:icon_biggrin:

unsub
06-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Glad to hear that! I know about the paint issuee, some complaining about the pegs too low in turns.... But still, i love the engine.

The paint is a concern for some, but not all. Do Not let that stand in your way of mechanical performance that is outstanding.

Pegs too low? I have some experience on a range of bikes and it is not an issue at all to anyone riding this machine as intended. I'd put the peg concerns up in the paint issue category.

luckyluciano
06-07-2014, 03:17 PM
I know. Strong words but true. IMO. I still have my VTX 1800 RS. Loaded !
Perhaps $30k invested. Great machine for that era. But a dinosaur today. Steering too heavy, small turning radius, underbraked, very top heavy.
Great reliability And torque, but the 6 SMOKES it. Not even close.

The only thing the X has is the Vtwin cult love of the thumping engine.
Don't get me wrong. I love the thump too but the music from the horizontal 6 is really where it's at.

V- twins are for those stuck in the past.
There are much better bikes and engines.

Today I test rode the 2014 Indian Chieftan. Lots of great toys on it . Great look. But not in the same league as the F6B or honda for that matter.

It Felt gutless and with a lack of character.

Get the 6. Best bike. No joke.

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 03:48 PM
I know. Strong words but true. IMO. I still have my VTX 1800 RS. Loaded !
Perhaps $30k invested. Great machine for that era. But a dinosaur today. Steering too heavy, small turning radius, underbraked, very top heavy.
Great reliability And torque, but the 6 SMOKES it. Not even close.

The only thing the X has is the Vtwin cult love of the thumping engine.
Don't get me wrong. I love the thump too but the music from the horizontal 6 is really where it's at.

V- twins are for those stuck in the past.
There are much better bikes and engines.

Today I test rode the 2014 Indian Chieftan. Lots of great toys on it . Great look. But not in the same league as the F6B or honda for that matter.

It Felt gutless and with a lack of character.

Get the 6. Best bike. No joke.

Based on everything i read on the 6, and i ve read a lot on the net, over 95% or so are saying that you can t go wrong with it. When purists as HD owners are switching for Honda, you gotta think to yourself... Wow... Ok... Gotta be a hell of machine!i love my Vtx but i got to admit that everything you said... Well you re right about it....;)
Sometimes love gets you blind i guessssss! My mind is pretty set. Number 6 is coming soon. By the way, i think you re coming from ontario... Are you getting a better price than mine for a 2013 (lately if you know) right now it s around 18500$ plus tx of course....

Scotrod
06-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Easiest just to say 'Test ride one'

06 1800 C1 bought new in '08 traded in '11. Thought it was nice at the time. (Checking rear cylinder valve lash was a PITA!!!!)

Looking back,,, top heavy,,, and that dual pin crank made it sound like a tractor,,, :icon_frown:

It was dependable, powerful, easy to change oil, no real problems at all,,, Do I miss it? Not really,,, The 09 Stratoliner I had after the VTX made the X look/feel 'utilitarian',,,

Phantom
06-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Based on everything i read on the 6, and i ve read a lot on the net, over 95% or so are saying that you can t go wrong with it. When purists as HD owners are switching to Honda, you gotta think to yourself... Wow... Ok... Gotta be a hell of machine!

See the attached poll, who is the number 2 buyer for the f6b after a Honda Owner ????

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 03:57 PM
One thing i was wondering, about the fuel, must be relatively even between both? Are they?

Phantom
06-07-2014, 04:01 PM
One thing i was wondering, about the fuel, must be relatively even between both? Are they?

38-42 mpg seems to be the "AVERAGE"

If you want economy, then don't buy the F6B, you will want to ride it like a crotch rocket and your fuel mileage will be in the mid 30's. If you baby the throttle you could get 45-46 mpg.

If you can afford a F6B .... certainly you can afford the fuel :biggthumpup:

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 04:04 PM
See the attached poll, who is the number 2 buyer for the f6b after a Honda Owner ????

Life is full of surprises! Next surprise would be to be waved by an Hd owner while crossing him on my 6 ( soooooooooon!)
Well ok... It happened few times before already.... Can t be a bad ass about it! All kinds everywhere.... I had great and bad experiences concerning that subject.

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 04:07 PM
38-42 mpg seems to be the "AVERAGE"

If you want economy, then don't buy the F6B, you will want to ride it like a crotch rocket and your fuel mileage will be in the mid 30's. If you baby the throttle you could get 45-46 mpg.

If you can afford a F6B .... certainly you can afford the fuel :biggthumpup:

At that price... Won t stay in the garage!

opas ride
06-07-2014, 06:17 PM
I had a 1800VTXF,2005 year with gobs of chrome and lots of aftermarket goodies...Very nice bike and lots of power, etc.,etc...But nothing like the F6B in smoothness, power, handling, ride, and wind protection....I had no bags or anything on the VTX and really missed strorage space on occasion...F6B is the best of both worlds for me and I intend to keep it for a while...Traded my 2011 Vision Tour for the F6B with no regrets so far......You will love the F6B as it is like a fine wine and gets better with age.....

shooter
06-07-2014, 07:02 PM
One of my best friends has a Retro so I am pretty familiar with the bike. The B has more power, is more comfortable and handles better. Doesn't mean you should trade, but you asked for an opinion. If you ride two-up any then the B is the way to go. It handles so 'light' with a passenger it's amazing.

brewcityf6b
06-07-2014, 07:20 PM
I've owned 2 VTX 1800's and loved them both. Personally it was just time to move on from the big Vtwin to something a bit more sophisticated, comfortable, nimble, yet still bad ass asthetically. Totally different ride. Took a little getting used to the difference in seating and sound of the flat 6, but I love it. All the power and then some compared to my X. Handles way better. I really feel like I can throw this bike around more than the x. Lower center of gravity. Radio is fantastic to have. Hard bags are awesome. I am very happy with my ride and find that the older I get, the more interested I am in performance vs. Loud brutish muscle. I'm still young at 38 so a full wing was definately out of the question. :icon_mrgreen: no regrets. Love every second I get on it and don't miss the x a bit.

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 07:20 PM
I had a 1800VTXF,2005 year with gobs of chrome and lots of aftermarket goodies...Very nice bike and lots of power, etc.,etc...But nothing like the F6B in smoothness, power, handling, ride, and wind protection....I had no bags or anything on the VTX and really missed strorage space on occasion...F6B is the best of both worlds for me and I intend to keep it for a while...Traded my 2011 Vision Tour for the F6B with no regrets so far......You will love the F6B as it is like a fine wine and gets better with age.....

The more i hear about it the more i want it! Monday morning, 9 am sharp, Honda dealer for a test drive!

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 07:35 PM
I've owned 2 VTX 1800's and loved them both. Personally it was just time to move on from the big Vtwin to something a bit more sophisticated, comfortable, nimble, yet still bad ass asthetically. Totally different ride. Took a little getting used to the difference in seating and sound of the flat 6, but I love it. All the power and then some compared to my X. Handles way better. I really feel like I can throw this bike around more than the x. Lower center of gravity. Radio is fantastic to have. Hard bags are awesome. I am very happy with my ride and find that the older I get, the more interested I am in performance vs. Loud brutish muscle. I'm still young at 38 so a full wing was definately out of the question. :icon_mrgreen: no regrets. Love every second I get on it and don't miss the x a bit.

Im 45, never thought i would go for a Goldwing!!! Another surprise for me is that many biker are giving up the loud and deep sound of a cruiser for a more sportive sound. Like i said before, must be hell of a bike to get , seeing so many leaving chrome, name and sound behind.

Phantom
06-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Im 45, never thought i would go for a Goldwing!!!

Don't knock it till you try it.

I was 44 years old not long ago when I picked up my full gold wing, Best Bike in the garage .... It's my couch rocket.

GentleDoum
06-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Don't knock it till you try it.

I was 44 years old not long ago when I picked up my full gold wing, Best Bike in the garage .... It's my couch rocket.

Monday morning my friend, monday morning is the real and peacefull try out!
After what, you know what's coming.... I will buy it! No choice!
And by the way i wasn t talking against the fact of getting a Wing, it s just that i never thought of it! But i ve been seduced by a black 6! She looked at me and she said : i want youuuuuu!
What can i do! :) gotta take her home and give her some love!

naga viper
06-07-2014, 09:46 PM
I traded my 1800 neo in got what I paid for mine with 12000 miles on it. minus the progressive springs and windshield. Stripped everything else off and sold separately. Whoa boy huge difference. I don't regret spending the extra cash.

Scotrod
06-07-2014, 10:03 PM
I was 44 years old not long ago when I picked up my full gold wing, .

Did they even have 1800's back then? :duck:

Phantom
06-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Did they even have 1800's back then? :duck:

:clap2:

Henry Ford personally sold me my first model A ... :moon:

:f2:

SCMike
06-08-2014, 12:10 AM
I traded my 2006 VTX 1800F in on my F6B. Every time I ride the F6B, I get happier about the trade.
I traded because after the latest long trip on the VTX, I wanted something more suited for touring. The F6B is that but so much more. The overwhelming smoothness impresses me each ride. The power comes quicker than the VTX, and when you take it on to the twisties, youll never look back at the VTX.

The only difficulty for me was the riding position. I have bad knees, and the position was uncomfortable to me after a while. Adding miniboards and highway pegs fixed that.

My VTX was a great bike, but for me at least, it can't compare to the F6B.

Slingah
06-08-2014, 10:27 AM
:clap2:

Henry Ford personally sold me my first model A ... :moon:

:f2:

:crackup:

Kfad
06-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Traded my 2008 VTX1800N in at the end of March this year for my F6B. VTX great bike no doubt, but..... The F6B is a touring rocket, runs down the highway wanting you to open the throttle. The handling is sport bike crazy on the twisting 101 and hwy 4 along the Columbia River. Haven't missed my VTX..... Just wanna ride

JUST DO IT