PDA

View Full Version : LEDs and Risers

Elroy
06-09-2014, 05:58 PM
I've tried to find answers on my own and to prevent starting one too many threads I've got two questions. First is about lights; if I install led headlights(hi or low beams), brake lights or rear turn signal lights, do I need to also install an equalizer(I think that's what it's called)?
And question #2 is about handlebar risers. If I get the knot/pain at the base of my neck between my s/blades on longer rides, do I want the bars lower or higher? Thanks!

Elroy

yellow rex
06-09-2014, 09:57 PM
It is much easier to just replace the turn signal flasher
with one for led lights. I use the MBL risers it did help
with that pain.

Ericb445
06-09-2014, 10:20 PM
LED Headlights don't require any flasher upgrades, if you put LEDS in your turn signals then you will need a flasher upgrade

Steve 0080
06-09-2014, 11:18 PM
+ x’s 2

I would go with HID headlights…LED, ain’t all that!

Hornblower
06-10-2014, 06:25 AM
+ x’s 2

I would go with HID headlights…LED, ain’t all that!

I agree with Steve, to a point. For sure, go HID for the lo-beams. The LED's for hi-beam are great for color-matching to the HID lo-beams and offer the additional advantage of "instant" on. But, don't expect the LED hi-beams to project more light down-the-road. The good news is that with the HID lo-beams, I rarely even use my hi-beams any more and, when I do, it's usually to be seen by other drivers. The LED's work great for that purpose. I suspect it won't be long until new technology offers us both lo and hi-beam LED bulbs that project light like current HID's :2cents:.

Elroy
06-10-2014, 07:03 AM
I agree with Steve, to a point. For sure, go HID for the lo-beams. The LED's for hi-beam are great for color-matching to the HID lo-beams and offer the additional advantage of "instant" on. But, don't expect the LED hi-beams to project more light down-the-road. The good news is that with the HID lo-beams, I rarely even use my hi-beams any more and, when I do, it's usually to be seen by other drivers. The LED's work great for that purpose. I suspect it won't be long until new technology offers us both lo and hi-beam LED bulbs that project light like current HID's :2cents:.

Thanks for all the info. So if i replace my lo-beams AND rear/brake lights with HIDs and put LEDs in my hi-beams, I don't need any sort of equalizer or flasher upgrade yeah? Thanks!

Elroy

Steve 0080
06-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Correct …or put HID in the high beams as well…..They are not used much at night but they do allow the blue hairs to see you in the daytime!!!!!

Hornblower
06-10-2014, 08:38 AM
FWIW, I have 2 problems with using HID's for hi-beams. First, HID's take several seconds to come up to full brightness. As a result, trying to "flash" your hi-beams is pretty worthless. Second, you have to find areas to mount your ballast blocks so if you have HID's for both lo and hi-beams, that's double the trouble. :stirthepot:

Elroy
06-10-2014, 09:12 AM
FWIW, I have 2 problems with using HID's for hi-beams. First, HID's take several seconds to come up to full brightness. As a result, trying to "flash" your hi-beams is pretty worthless. Second, you have to find areas to mount your ballast blocks so if you have HID's for both lo and hi-beams, that's double the trouble. :stirthepot:

Agreed. I didn't like the idea mounting double the blocks. Installing LEDs in the Hi's is easy enough and will work for me. Thanks for the input.

Steve 0080
06-10-2014, 10:40 AM
:jerkit: