PDA

View Full Version : Coolvest info

Scotrod
06-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Not written from a riders perspective, but one of the most informative articles I've seen describing the different cool vests out there:

http://www.activemsers.org/tipstricks/choosingacoolingvest.html

Scotrod
06-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Anybody use a 'phase change' or ~ice~ vest?

Wife and I have the evap vests, but with the humidity here in Houston, they don't really work that well,,, :icon_frown:

yellow rex
06-10-2014, 10:27 PM
You may look at LD Comfort, great reviews and videos on You tube.

Scotrod
06-10-2014, 10:39 PM
You may look at LD Comfort, great reviews and videos on You tube.

Unless they make a 12 volt model with an AC system,,, eh,,, it's gonna take a bit more than 'special skivvies'!! :icon_biggrin:

yellow rex
06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Did you look at the video on the LD Comfort you wet the outside
but the inside against your skin stay dry the air blowing on the LD
is suppose to lower your skin temp.

Scotrod
06-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks, but I am familiar with their product. :icon_wink:
OK might be a tad less humid than Houston,,, Have you tried an evap vest?

SmallPasture
06-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks ScotRod!! My darling wife and I have been lookin'/discussing these vests at length.
I couldn't agree more that the evap cooling vest will not work in Houston just like a swamp cooler. We escaped 'trailering'8 years ago and headed west to La Vernia (southeast of San Antonio). It's amazing how just 170 miles can lower the average humidity by 30%.

Scotrod
06-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Yup... Lived in Austin for many years before Houston,,, Not near as muggy as Houston,,,

Evap vests are better suited to drier regions,,,, They are pretty much just a hot wet blanket here,,, :icon_frown:

Looking at phase change or 'ice pack' vests,,, Wifey refuses to ride w/o her full face and armored mesh jacket,,, She's just about ready to pass out now and Summers not fully here yet,,, :icon_frown:

Even sans-jacket with a 3/4, I'm plenty darn warm!!!

If an ice vest could allow me and mine to ride 'comfortably' for a few added hours, with armored jackets It seems we'd be foolish to not have 'em,,,

Phase change 'sounds' nice, but not really sure it has enough cooling power to do the trick. (I enjoy ~cold~, not really looking for 'a little less heat' on a 100 degree mug-nasty day,,,)

kjelders
06-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Cooling vest??????? What's that you say? In the PNW, we just unzip our jacket. :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Cooling vest??????? What's that you say? In the PNW, we just unzip our jacket. :icon_mrgreen:

LOL! Yeah, you PNW'ers have your own set of 'seasonal hazards', but heat-stroke usually isn't one of them!!! :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
06-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Bit the bullet and ordered some 'phase change' vests made by Polar Products:

http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/Cool58-Phase-Change-Zipper-Vest-403p197.htm

Best price was here:

http://healthproductsforyou.com/p-29698-polar-cool58-phase-change-zipper-cooling-vest.html

Up until the 15th or 16th, you can use coupon code DAD2014 for an additional extra 10% off,,, :icon_wink:

The dang things are pretty pricey,,, sure hope they work!

imported_NMRed
06-12-2014, 09:25 PM
I ride with a Hyperkewl evaporative vest here in the deserts of New Mexico where high humidity is anything above 20%. Works great for me and provides about 3 hours cooling before needing rewetting. Almost too cold in the mountains at 75 degrees and 55mph, very comfortable at 109 degrees and 65 mph. For those of us lucky enough to live where you don't jump in the shower to dry off these type vest work.

Scotrod
06-12-2014, 10:04 PM
I ride with a Hyperkewl evaporative vest here in the deserts of New Mexico where high humidity is anything above 20%. Works great for me and provides about 3 hours cooling before needing rewetting. Almost too cold in the mountains at 75 degrees and 55mph, very comfortable at 109 degrees and 65 mph. For those of us lucky enough to live where you don't jump in the shower to dry off these type vest work.

Good advice!!! :yes:

The Evap vests are a lot less expensive than what I posted above!

In my opinion,,,, anyone who lives in a 'moderate to low' humidity area should at least try an evap vest before droppin coin on something more expensive. Granted, not everyone will like 'em, but in the right location, the 'bang for the buck' provided by an Evap is pretty darn high!