PDA

View Full Version : 3M Technology : Way to protect the paint?

GentleDoum
06-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Hi guys, i'm finally getting my 6 next week!
I was talking to the dealer about the paint and he asked if i wanted to put the 3 M stuff on it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-paint-protection/

It s either a clear one or carbon with colors ( some good and some ....well...)

This protection can be great add to the fairing ( much exposed ) and saddlebags, specially the top and the front ( cause the passenger boots )

What do you think of it? It s about 200-300$. I know they put it on cars. Hardly see it. Great protection against scratches and rocks...

Good in a long term? Peels easily after awhile? I really don t know! Do you know anything about the subject?

Steve 0080
06-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Great product!!!! A lot of folks use their product on their Runes, I have seen it installed many times on the front of buses….There are a couple of board members that have gone the carbon fiber look and it does look good!!! It peels off when done or ready to re apply.

GentleDoum
06-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Great product!!!! A lot of folks use their product on their Runes, I have seen it installed many times on the front of buses….There are a couple of board members that have gone the carbon fiber look and it does look good!!! It peels off when done or ready to re apply.

Great news! :)
But how long does it stay nice? Long term or short
Term? I want to know if the price is right!

I saw few pictures on the net with carbon .
Seems nice and tougher ( even if it must be the same as the clear one)
The colors... Hum... Some look good... And others
Seems be members of circus! IMHO
I KNOW i know... It s a matter of taste!

My 6 will be black so easy to add some.
And to put it at the start would be the best.

They say the paint will appear clean and bright
With the clear one.
So i guess... Hum... Only soap to clean it???

Steve 0080
06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I have seen it last for years fighting FLA love bugs... I would think aslong as it were not scratched to deep...it would last for years on your bike...yes, wash with car soap and blow dry!!! I am not a fan of water but your results may vary!!! As far a value per dollar spent...that is up to you!

fxdl2051
06-13-2014, 01:23 AM
Have it on my car, one year looks good as new. It has saved the paint from some chips for sure. Will see what it can do for the bike.

GentleDoum
06-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Have it on my car, one year looks good as new. It has saved the paint from some chips for sure. Will see what it can do for the bike.

I put it in the order... Will give me a warranty of 4 years on the product or will change it for free if anything is happening.
I think it s a good investment on the 6. Specially for the fairing . Told me that when it s done well, doesn t really show. I will give a feedback on the subject if that interests anyone.

richw56
06-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Looking forward to feedback after installation.
I've been thinking of getting it on my F6B.
Thanks.

GentleDoum
06-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Looking forward to feedback after installation.
I've been thinking of getting it on my F6B.
Thanks.

Will be a pleasure. Getting it around wednesday or thursday. Lonnnnnnnnggggg waiting!

GentleDoum
06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Ok. The 3m is great. But, i wasn t happy about the result. The guy missed some angles and at a few places it made some light bubbles. Was supposed to be 300$. The dealer said take it for free, and if you want a perfect job, bring it back and we ll take care of it again :-))))
The guy who did it was kind of new... So if i bring it back, the best guy will do it again.
It worth it, really, good stuff. But i can live with some light imperfections cause it s free :)))
Otherwise, i go for the perfect job and i will pay.
If you have the chance, do it my friends. Good protection. Just find the right guy to do it!

Britman
06-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Ok. The 3m is great. But, i wasn t happy about the result. The guy missed some angles and at a few places it made some light bubbles. Was supposed to be 300$. The dealer said take it for free, and if you want a perfect job, bring it back and we ll take care of it again :-))))
The guy who did it was kind of new... So if i bring it back, the best guy will do it again.
It worth it, really, good stuff. But i can live with some light imperfections cause it s free :)))
Otherwise, i go for the perfect job and i will pay.
If you have the chance, do it my friends. Good protection. Just find the right guy to do it!

Don't drop/spill gasoline on it cause it might wrinkle up.

yellow rex
06-18-2014, 09:30 PM
I have this on my wife new Goldwing Road Smith trike from the front of
the running boards to the top of the fenders and lower cowl
it was one year old may 21 and 14000 miles still looks like new
and the fenders on a trike take real beating from rocks and bugs.
No problems yet from gas spilling she has the auxiliary tank.

Darkknight
06-20-2014, 04:26 PM
It's been Over a year and still think it was a great idea. It cost me $20 for a 2 foot section. My chaps began to scratch the tank, so I cut 2 pieces and installed.
Still looks good after almost 10000 miles!

WingStuff
06-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Hi guys, i'm finally getting my 6 next week!
I was talking to the dealer about the paint and he asked if i wanted to put the 3 M stuff on it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-paint-protection/

It s either a clear one or carbon with colors ( some good and some ....well...)

This protection can be great add to the fairing ( much exposed ) and saddlebags, specially the top and the front ( cause the passenger boots )

What do you think of it? It s about 200-300$. I know they put it on cars. Hardly see it. Great protection against scratches and rocks...

Good in a long term? Peels easily after awhile? I really don t know! Do you know anything about the subject?

Congrats on pulling the trigger!