PDA

View Full Version : Luggage for a weekend?

Darkknight
06-05-2013, 05:32 AM
I'm going away for a weekend with my sweetie.:paintnails: Trying to decide how to pack and what to use for luggage. She's willing to carry a backpack but I'm thinking that will be tiresome.

Has anyone found or used some type of lugggage that will fit on the stock luggage rack without drooping over onto the surounding tupperware?:think:

If I was going alone I could probably fit everything I need in the saddlebags, but I have longer trips planned so this will be needed down the road anyway.

MichaelG
06-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Has anyone found or used some type of lugggage that will fit on the stock luggage rack without drooping over onto the surounding tupperware?:think:

Yes. Yesterday when I was at South Bound Honda, in Lakewood, WA. (Tacoma area) the owner of the dealership (Dale) showed me his F6B, and that he had made a custom rear rack. This custom rack is just what you want. It mounts in the samem place as the Honda rack...under the passenger backrest, and it is about a foot square...or maybe slightly larger. It is Black, done very professionally, and looks great.

Contact Dale @ http://www.southboundhonda.com/ He is the owner, along with his wife Vicki. They own two Honda dealerships, a second one in Olympia, WA. Dale works in the Service Dept. at South Bound Honda.

Call him, talk to him about his custom made rear rack on his own personal bike, and ask if he will make one for you. It really is that good. It looks like Honda made it...not a back yard mechanic kinda-look.

ghostrider
06-05-2013, 03:08 PM

I just received my Kuryakyn Classic Tour Bag yesterday. It's very well made and it fits well on the bike. It's a large bag and sits right up against the antenna. i just have to find a way to securely mount it to the bike which should be no problem.

Steve 0080
06-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Just got back from a short trip with the wife on the F6B,,,,I had purchased the Stock F6B bags and used them in the saddle bags w/o issue. I did should my 03 H,D, bag on the luggage rack. I normally do not have the antenna installed so that is a non issue. I did get a section of 3/4 Sch 40 PVC and notched out for the luggage rack, wire tied it to the rack, after it was painted black...my anniversary bag normally attaches to the luggage rack on top of the tour pak, so I used the two bottom Velcro fasteners to the PVC pipe and the top one bungied it around the back rest. With the help of my friend, Blackbetty 12 My backrest is now about 5 inch's off the seat so it worked out well...5 days on the road with a woman...priceless...

P.S. More info to come on raising the backrest!!!!! P.S.S. The PVC keeps the bag elevated as not to touch the paint!!!

ghostrider
06-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Here are the pictures of the Kuryakyn bag attached to the bike. It attaches nicely with the included straps. It's very solid with no droops. I also realized it works very well as a backrest, mounted to the seat for the trips that I take where I don't need the big Moto Fiz bag. I love multifunction stuff!! :icon_biggrin:

micky_foccer
06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
I use a T Bag. Looks just like the one in the post above. Works great!

Darkknight
06-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Has anyone looked at the Dowco luggage system?
I know they are less expensive than the brands like Kuryakyn. It interests me that it is a stack-able system and that I could add to as needed. This may be another case of you get what you pay for but I can buy 2 stack-able units that aren't that crazy expensive. In the pictures they don't look that bad.

Just thinkin.....

MercuryF1
06-09-2013, 12:00 AM
On the subject of luggage, does anyone use this Kuryakyn liner bags?

Any good?

MercuryF1
06-09-2013, 12:02 AM
I just received my Kuryakyn Classic Tour Bag yesterday. It's very well made and it fits well on the bike. It's a large bag and sits right up against the antenna. i just have to find a way to securely mount it to the bike which should be no problem.

Which vendor did you get it from? price please? Wingstuff don't seem to have this bag for sale.

ghostrider
06-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Which vendor did you get it from? price please? Wingstuff don't seem to have this bag for sale.

I bought mine from BikerBandit but I found a better deal on leatherup.com I paid $120, $106 at leatherup.com

I like all the room it has, the flat bottom, how well it fits on the bike and how easy it is to access everything.

Gumby
06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Best way to go for a ride with your sweetie and have enough room for her stuff as well as yours is to get her a F6B for herself.

Mine has to make do with a VTX1300T until we get her one.

MercuryF1
06-10-2013, 03:01 AM
I bought mine from BikerBandit but I found a better deal on leatherup.com I paid $120, $106 at leatherup.com

I like all the room it has, the flat bottom, how well it fits on the bike and how easy it is to access everything.

Leatherup.com it will be. Thanks for the tip! Do we need to purchase any extra anchor points to secure the bag to the rear rack? I love this forum for all the great information shared! :icon_lol:

ghostrider
06-10-2013, 07:32 AM
No actually, it's comes with everything you need. i thought I needed a strap to go around the backrest but wrapped in the rain cover is a shoulder strap along with two adjustable straps, one you can use to go around the backrest. there are two permanent straps on the bag that strap to the rack itself. The big Velcro flap on the bag doesn't work well for securing it to the backrest. The backrest is just too short for that.

MSGT-R
06-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Check this out:

http://wingstuff.com/products/35192-ftb3300-trunk-rack-bag

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/021/993/original.png?1370555524

MercuryF1
06-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Check this out:

http://wingstuff.com/products/35192-ftb3300-trunk-rack-bag

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/021/993/original.png?1370555524

Looks sleek but sized more like a toiletries bag!

av8rdave
06-18-2013, 10:18 AM
it holds a pretty good amount in addition to the saddlebags:

http://www.mandmcycles.com/default.aspx?PartNo=10-4580&gclid=CNWBzuPy7bcCFcad4AodckMAQg

What I like is that it will mount on the stock F6B Deluxe rear rack, as well as the passenger seat. On the rack, the secret is to secure the forward straps to the passenger handrail. That holds it forward enough to keep it on the rack without laying on the bike's finish. When mounted on the stock seat, it compliments the step nicely to form a rider backrest.

Since I only have to pack for one for extended trips, this and the saddlebags should be more than enough space for me. I've learned to pack pretty lightly. Occupational hazard, I suppose.

edgeman55
06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
it holds a pretty good amount in addition to the saddlebags:

http://www.mandmcycles.com/default.aspx?PartNo=10-4580&gclid=CNWBzuPy7bcCFcad4AodckMAQg

What I like is that it will mount on the stock F6B Deluxe rear rack, as well as the passenger seat. On the rack, the secret is to secure the forward straps to the passenger handrail. That holds it forward enough to keep it on the rack without laying on the bike's finish. When mounted on the stock seat, it compliments the step nicely to form a rider backrest.

Since I only have to pack for one for extended trips, this and the saddlebags should be more than enough space for me. I've learned to pack pretty lightly. Occupational hazard, I suppose.

Looked at your link and they don't have the size of the bag.How does your measure out?-Height,width and depth.Thanks I like the price and the bag looks nice.

Darkknight
06-21-2013, 05:54 AM
I was pretty impressed with how much I was able to fit into this bike's saddlebags.

I fit a full face helmet, 2 pair of chaps, 2 leather Jackets (no armor), full rain gear (FroggTogg jacket, pants, boots), one pair of women's boots, extra gloves and cargo net, and some tissues and napkins. I probably could have fit more by using filling the inside of the helmet.

I decided to go with DowCo Iron Rider series luggage. We'll see how it works. It cost about $87 (http://www.speedaddictcycles.com/product/40-9360/Dowco-Iron-Rider-Main-Bag.html ) for this main bag. It has a firm base so it doesn't sag onto the tupperware.
Securing it to the bike takes some pondering since the back rest is so short the wide velcro straps are a little difficult to slide between the backrest and the seat. There are multiple straps provided to anchor the bag to the luggage rack and any other secure point on the bike. The points I chose were the backrest, the luggage rack and the rear speaker brackets.

It's about 3/4 full but I've waaaay overpacked for a weekend.
When I get back I'll report on how the luggage worked out. I bought the "Main Bag" and other shapes and sizes can be added and attached onto the top.

480 481

av8rdave
06-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Looked at your link and they don't have the size of the bag.How does your measure out?-Height,width and depth.Thanks I like the price and the bag looks nice.

It's 7" X 13" X 14"

It expands a bit in the 7" direction when you pack it full. When I'm riding locally, I stand it on its side and put it in the left saddlebag. My iPhone/iPod zips plugs into the USB port and zips nicely into the side pocket. Seems to give it pretty good protection.

edgeman55
06-22-2013, 09:05 AM
It's 7" X 13" X 14"

It expands a bit in the 7" direction when you pack it full. When I'm riding locally, I stand it on its side and put it in the left saddlebag. My iPhone/iPod zips plugs into the USB port and zips nicely into the side pocket. Seems to give it pretty good protection.

Thanks for the info.I see in the picture it has a pad underneath it and I was wondering if it has tie downs that come with it.I want a bag to tie down to the seat as my standard does not have a rack or backrest and I don't want to put them on my bike.Size wise it looks perfect for my needs.

Darkknight
06-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Ok, just got back from a weekend in Vt. I had plenty of room with the Iron rider "Main Bag". I will probably order another bag to attach to the top of this one for my 1 week Maine vacation in August. This bad was rock solid on the trip. It is fairly large and stayed securely attached during the trip.

The bike rode real well and with the luggage on the back and a passenger, I could tell there was some added weight on the back. The front end seemed to feel lighter. I'll probably try adjusting the rear spring a little before the Maine trip.

av8rdave
06-24-2013, 07:48 AM
There are 4 straps that are looped at one end with the male half of a banana clip on the other (adjustable at the end with the clip). There is a female banana clip on each lower corner of the bag.

Just wrap each strap around the point on the bike you want to attach it to, pass it through its own loop, click to the bag and cinch it tight. I use the rear rack for the aft straps and the passenger grab rails for the forward ones. Since the end that attaches to the bike is just pulled through its own loop, you don't have to worry about excess strap flapping around and beating up that fragile finish.

Once you're happy with where you anchor each strap, the bag goes on and off quickly.

I like the outside pockets for the "quick grab" stuff - change, sunglasses, wallet, etc. the bigger compartment is perfect for a change of clothes, raingear and spare face shield (I wear a smoked/tinted one in bright sun).

kjelders
08-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Yes. Yesterday when I was at South Bound Honda, in Lakewood, WA. (Tacoma area) the owner of the dealership (Dale) showed me his F6B, and that he had made a custom rear rack. This custom rack is just what you want. It mounts in the samem place as the Honda rack...under the passenger backrest, and it is about a foot square...or maybe slightly larger. It is Black, done very professionally, and looks great.

Contact Dale @ http://www.southboundhonda.com/ He is the owner, along with his wife Vicki. They own two Honda dealerships, a second one in Olympia, WA. Dale works in the Service Dept. at South Bound Honda.

Call him, talk to him about his custom made rear rack on his own personal bike, and ask if he will make one for you. It really is that good. It looks like Honda made it...not a back yard mechanic kinda-look.

I bought my f6b there last weekend and Vicki was my salesperson. I was back over there today to look at the custom rack Dale made. It's great. More functional and much better than Honda's rack. Looks very professionally made. He told me he is hoping that the racks will be available this coming week.

MichaelG
08-04-2013, 08:14 AM
I bought my f6b there last weekend and Vicki was my salesperson. I was back over there today to look at the custom rack Dale made. It's great. More functional and much better than Honda's rack. Looks very professionally made. He told me he is hoping that the racks will be available this coming week.

KJ, congrats on the new bike. Vicki is a great person to deal with...all business. Thanks for the confirmation on the very good rear racks that Dale makes. It would be nice to see him make 50 or 100, for sale to other riders.

If you ever want to get together for coffee, etc, let me know.

Miles