PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie fanatic lusting after F6B.

powercruzer13
06-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Greetings! First post, not an F6B owner yet but I think it will happen soon.
I am presently going through the mental throes of convincing myself to let loose of the best cruiser motorcycles ever built, the first generation Valkyrie. Presently between the wife & I we have 3 Valks & a 2005 Shadow Spirit 750, her first bike. Wanting to downsize the bike fleet while upgrading the fleet in age. Obviously that means another flat 6 powered bike as anything else is a step backwards. :icon_mrgreen: We Valkers have been clamoring for an updated Valkyrie for years & it looks to me that the F6B IS the new Valkyrie Tourer. I'm a little put off by the fixed fairing of the F6B but I don't see any sense in buying a new Valkyrie then adding bags & a windshield when the F6B looks just right.
Also looking at the CTX1300 as a replacement for the wife's Valkyrie.
What do you guys think? Am I on the right track here?

Ericb445
06-12-2014, 11:22 PM
I say ride an f6b.
Then be prepared to sign away... I had a 98 tourer, and got rid of it. I never found a bike that would make me smile like the Valk,till I rode an F6B.

shooter
06-13-2014, 06:54 AM
I second that as far as baggers go.

Bigmac nj
06-13-2014, 06:58 AM
I'd also say just test ride an F6B...and then smile..I am in the process of thinning my stable of bikes to pay for the Red/Black F6BD that I just bought.
I sold my 09 Valkyrie Tourer to a friend in Florida. Being the good salesman I sealed the deal by riding the bike to him from my
home in New Jersey. Next on the selling block is my 99 Valkyrie Interstate..then comes the 1975 GoldWing.

I will miss the Valkyries and the Wing but the F6B is more than capable in filling the gap. Biggest startling difference to me is the low speed handling on
the F6B. It is "lights out " better than the Valkyrie. The fixed fairing takes a little bit of time to get used to but not by much time.

The stock sporty windshield has already been replaced by a stock 03 GoldWing windshield that I had.( I need to just modify it more with new mounting
holes to get it low enough to completely see over)
The rear Passenger backrest is being replaced by an Ultimate backrest and the driver position is getting a Utopia backrest.

I kept an open mind about the "new" Valkyrie but after seeing one in person. I was underwhelmed.the F6B beside it was another story.
Sat on it, pulled it upright,rocked it back and forth.. and sensed and thought ... This is real nice !

To answer your question...Yes you are on the right track

Scotrod
06-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Sell all 4 and get 2 F6B's. Wife and I both ride 6's,,,

opas ride
06-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Rode my 99 Black Valk Tourer for 7 years and really loved the thing...Traded it for a VTX which was a big mistake for me, but that is history...3 bikes later I bought the F6B, and in my judgment, much better in everyway than the old Valk...The F6B fits the bill for me just fine and although I do like the new Valkyrie it is just not me anymore at 74 years old...Like you said, can't see buying the Valk then adding bags and shield etc...My guess is that the next years Valk will come from the factory with bags, windshield, etc. etc....Good Luck

Scotrod
06-13-2014, 01:01 PM
The F6B fits the bill for me just fine and although I do like the new Valkyrie it is just not me anymore at 74 years old...Like you said, can't see buying the Valk then adding bags and shield etc...My guess is that the next years Valk will come from the factory with bags, windshield, etc. etc....Good Luck

Yup. I agree,,,,,,,

Add bags and shield??? Been there, done that. Always ended up lookin like they were an 'add on',,,. :icon_frown:

A 'Valk Tourer' might be in the works,,, It would be real easy for Honda to offer one,, but,,, dunno,,,???

What DO I know???? I'm a 'bagger' rider,,, Got me a bagger. Life is good! 'riding'

Razco53
06-13-2014, 01:08 PM
It's Love at first ride...... Can't imagine having anything But an F6B. Test Ride one then you will know for sure!

Sorcerer
06-13-2014, 02:22 PM
I bought my new 98 Valk standard in 2000 as a hold over. Jump to Oct. 2013 with 107,000 miles I had stopped looking for a replacement of my Valk about 3-4 years prier. Just was not any thing that fit or compared to the Valk. My 98 standard morffed to a small windshield tour with I State saddle bags. Spring of 2013 I ventured into a Honda dealer where I spotted the F6B. Love at first sight? Just the look I didn't know I was looking for. Sat on it, and first thought was I can't get to the back of seat, arms not long enough. Hence can I even use a drivers backrest? Then the price tag, really wanted the deluxe. Walked away but the seed was planted. Jump to Oct 2013. Found that I may be able to adjust a Utopia backrest far enough forward to work, not curtain, just may be. With a heavy heart I started the prosses of trading off my Valk. While the dealer was trying to come up with a trade price I asked to take there demo out for a ride, told them I needed to see if it was indeed what I was looking for. Squared the F6B up on the highway in first gear at about 5mph and twisted the throttle WFO. I found the back of the drivers seat. Now remember that sh#t eating grin on your first Valk ride? I know the sale guy knew he had me with that silly grin. Then a month after, mid Nov the released the new Valk. I knew I had made the right decision with the F6B. When I'm on call I need to carry 2 tool bags and the F6B fills the bill.

Retired Army
06-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Why trade? The bike you have is big enough to carry a large bull. :yikes:

powercruzer13
06-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the encouragement!
I have been reading about the things you "6" owners say about the F6B & I am more than ready to throw a leg over one. One of my former bikes was a 2005 Rocket 3 so I will feel right at home with a power increase over my "classic" Valks.:icon_twisted:
I will endeavor to ride one soon. I doubt we will be getting two F6B's as we are trying to downsize the wife's ride. She has some nerve damage in her leg & riding her Valkyrie is sometimes difficult for her, that's why we will be looking at the CTX1300 for her. My minimum number of cylinders for any bike we own is four! :icon_wink: I have no doubt the F6B is the right bike for me. Hoping that the value of all 4 of our bikes is enough to buy one of the new bikes we want so we only finance one. Hate payments! :icon_frown:
Just for fun, has anybody ridden a Rocket 3 {non touring model} AND the F6B to compare power. My R3 totally outran my fastest Valkyrie {the '97} in every way that could be measured. :shock:

Steve 0080
06-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Sold my 98 Valk... no brainer.......

Scotrod
06-13-2014, 10:15 PM
No personal experience, but doubtful the 6 would outrun a Rocket. The numbers favor the R3.

Exbmwrider
06-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Had a '97 Valkyrie Tourer, green & cream. Loved it. It pales in comparison to the F6B. Ride your Valkyrie to your dealer, checkbook in hand, take a test ride, then I dare you not to pull the trigger.

shooter
06-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the encouragement!
I have been reading about the things you "6" owners say about the F6B & I am more than ready to throw a leg over one. One of my former bikes was a 2005 Rocket 3 so I will feel right at home with a power increase over my "classic" Valks.:icon_twisted:
I will endeavor to ride one soon. I doubt we will be getting two F6B's as we are trying to downsize the wife's ride. She has some nerve damage in her leg & riding her Valkyrie is sometimes difficult for her, that's why we will be looking at the CTX1300 for her. My minimum number of cylinders for any bike we own is four! :icon_wink: I have no doubt the F6B is the right bike for me. Hoping that the value of all 4 of our bikes is enough to buy one of the new bikes we want so we only finance one. Hate payments! :icon_frown:
Just for fun, has anybody ridden a Rocket 3 {non touring model} AND the F6B to compare power. My R3 totally outran my fastest Valkyrie {the '97} in every way that could be measured. :shock:

I've ridden a 2013 R3 and the B doesn't come close. I own a modded M109R 2011 and the B doesn't come close to it either. What impresses me the most about the B is the power two up. You just can't lug 5th gear down too low. It's like all you need is second and fifth. The B is an impressive bike. Tuner exhaust and intakes would probably make a lot of difference. I like it like it is. Probably the quickest bagger out there.

bobbyf6b
06-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Just for fun, has anybody ridden a Rocket 3 {non touring model} AND the F6B to compare power.

I test rode the rocket before I bought the F6B. The rocket is cool but not as balanced and refined. The rocket probably has a lot more torque. You can really feel it while revving the inline engine. The F6 has a lower center of gravity and rides like a bike half it's size. You will be amazed at the handling and maneuverability of the F6B.

Hornblower
06-14-2014, 06:49 AM

My R3 was tuned and making around 150 hp...way faster than my F6B. The launch was just scary :yikes:. Unfortunately, it didn't have the frame and suspension to handle that power which made that ride downright dangerous. The F6B has adequate power and handles it well :icon_biggrin:.

powercruzer13
06-14-2014, 08:38 AM
I test rode the rocket before I bought the F6B. The rocket is cool but not as balanced and refined. The rocket probably has a lot more torque. You can really feel it while revving the inline engine. The F6 has a lower center of gravity and rides like a bike half it's size. You will be amazed at the handling and maneuverability of the F6B.

Pretty much the same observations I had about the R3. Just wasn't the comfort of the Valkyrie, 3 cylinder vibration on longer rides did me in. That & the fact that it is a Triumph, I just didn't trust the reliability of the thing. :shock:
Those 109's are real quick for sure even in stock trim, about the only full size cruiser that will keep up with the Rocket but alas, it's a 2 cylinder & a Suzuki. :icon_rolleyes:
All out speed isn't what I'm after these days... just the smooth, reliable full size comfort that only a flat 6 powered bike can deliver. The fact that the 6 is more powerful than most all other baggers on the market is the icing on the cake.
I have Monday off & you can bet I'll be at one of the local Honda dealers seeking a test ride on the F6B! :yes:

Dave Ritsema
06-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Let me assure you that you willl love the new F6B. I also came off of 16 years of Valkyrie ownership, first a 98 Tourer then a 2000 Interstate that I owned over 13 years. I loved both of those bikes but was ready for a change. The lighter handling, fuel injection, bigger motor, self cancelling turn signals, center stand. all things that we Valkyrie owners have been asking for in the last 10 years.

I just got home from InZane and everyone that asked to ride my F6B had a big grin on their face and said that when they got home they were going to talk to their local dealer.

Get yourself an Ultimate seat and some risers and you will be in a pretty comparable riding posistion as you are in your Valkyrie. I have the taller Hondaline accessory windshield and I am happy with it. Lots of aftermarket parts available so you can pretty much do anything you want with it. Enjoy!

opas ride
06-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Was at my dealer today turning in a VTX 1300 trike for a friend of mine who can no longer ride due to health reasons..Dealer had a 2000 Black Valk Tourer in the used bike section...52,000 miles and immaculate, chrome out the "wazzu" and probably had every piece that was available during the hey-day years...Sat on it for a few minutes and reflected on my 6 years with my 99 Tourer and it brought back many fond memories...Then went and sat on the new 2014 Valkyrie in the showroom for a minute, what a complete difference in the two...But, when all was said and done I got on my F6B and thanked my "lucky stars" and rode off into the sunset on perhaps, in my judgment, one of the finest bikes available today for my needs....Love the thing more every time I ride it......Looking for some more decent weather so I can enjoy the warmer weather.....

mtcgun
06-14-2014, 05:55 PM
F6b is light years ahead of the Valk as far as handling and performance. But the Valk will always be cool. Keep one of each. 6216

powercruzer13
06-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Going to look at a 2013 with 3,400 miles tomorrow...... you never know!!:icon_mrgreen:

racer
06-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Just for fun, has anybody ridden a Rocket 3 {non touring model} AND the F6B to compare power.

The 6 has been clocked at 11.84 in the 1/4 and is a true bagger. In fact - they can't be removed.

The R3 tourer is rated at 104 hp, quite detuned from the 11.50 roadster. I suspect the F6B will beat it in a drag race, I haven't seen a 1/4 time for the R3 tourer.

The 6 will leave either rocket on a curvy road. The comfort isn't close.

Now -- Just for fun, has anybody ridden a Rocket 3 AND the new VALK to compare power? better yet, provide 1/4 mile times and perfomance data, maybe cornering and ride info as well.

Stock vs stock, I suspect the Valk will match it in the 1/4 and beat it on any curvy road!!

There is no doubt that the R3 platform has way more hotrod potential than the GW! But I don't imagine it will ever be as good a tourer.

Wetrudgeon
06-16-2014, 05:42 PM
We owned one of the original Valks (a '99 Standard) and currently own a Rocket Roadster; and we have test ridden the new Valk. We can tell you that the new Valk is measurably stronger than the old but will not match the Beast (no cruiser can). But the difference is not huge. Both will eat other cruisers for lunch in acceleration. Where the Beast falls short is in comfort. She is rough and raw; much vibration in the pegs and bars and lots of motor heat. Would not care to launch for a coast to coast ride on her, but she is fun for short blasts and day rides. We are seriously considering trading the Beast for a new Valk.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.