PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Doesn't Always Return to Center...

MotoPumps
06-13-2014, 10:25 AM
I have been riding since 1979 (New Honda XL185S) and have owned many, many bikes over the years. I am pretty in tune with how to shift and techniques that work on certain bikes, preloading the shifter, clutch and throttle timing, clutchless shifting, etc.

I have noted a significant number of times when shifting the F6B, especially when going up a hill (load on dogs) and when riding more aggressively that the shift lever doesn't return to center. When I reach for the next gear, there is no resistance on the shifter and it won't shift up until I am on and off the gas again and it resets.

I can pretty much make this happen on demand, and also avoid it by riding very sedately and shifting more slowly. I have never had this issue on another bike, other than as a fluke.

Is this the nature of the beast and I need to refine my riding style, or is my F6B special?

I have about 500 miles on the bike now, so it could be that it is still a bit green.

Thoughts?

Thanks-

Rob

Scotrod
06-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Semi-normal,,, Both the wife and I have noticed this on our 6's, and not on prior bikes,,,
Not the worlds 'best shifting' transmission, in my opinion.

Most likely 'shifter' is returning, but drum is not.

No disrespect intended, but it sounds like you are not 'fully' shifting,,, (Sometimes the drum will hop into full shift position if load is removed from transmission) IMHO, the eventual end result of this 'activity' could lead to 'ghost shifting/hopping out of gear' :yikes:

I have found that not pulling the clutch ALL the way in during shifting helps keep the cogs spinning, limiting the "1/2 shifts"

Should get a little better with miles/use.

jakec
06-13-2014, 12:29 PM
I would go to your dealer and explain the problem to them. That should not happen and at least they could make a record of this in case something worse comes up in the future. If you keep the bike more then three years i would consider the extended warranty. Wings have had a few problems with transmissions and the going rate is 5 to 6 thousand dollars to repair.