PDA

View Full Version : Forkbrace?

Rustysocket
06-13-2014, 11:34 AM
I am seeing these advertised in the popup ads lately. What do they do and why would I need one?

Elroy
06-13-2014, 12:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken, their purpose is to improve stability and turning, especially at slower speeds. I'm not sure there is a consensus on whether or not they're effective or more of a 'snake-oil' item. Nonetheless, they look cool, covers up more chrome w/ black. :yes: There's members on here that have them I believe. I'm sure they'll be more informative than I've been.

Darren
06-13-2014, 12:41 PM
I am seeing these advertised in the popup ads lately. What do they do and why would I need one?

It improves lateral stiffness and prevents the fork stantions from twisting

Scotrod
06-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Elroy has the general gist of it right.

We have the Kury braces in black. Seems a little tighter at slow speeds, perhaps a little tighter at higher speeds,,,

Wifey can't tell the difference,,, (She's kinda 'like that',,,, that's probably why she's with me! :crackup:)

Dmoon64
06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Added the Superbrace to mine. Felt a better at low speed. Looks cool and was easy to install. I like to think it helps.

CarolinaRider
06-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Added the Superbrace to mine. Felt a better at low speed. Looks cool and was easy to install. I like to think it helps.

+1

I also like that it replaces a plastic cover with metal.

Rustysocket
06-13-2014, 02:05 PM

I guess I'm not understanding...

What does it help? Is their something the stock bike does that I should be aware of?

Phantom
06-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Stock versus SuperBrace …..

It's like comparing a 3 point seat belt to a 4 point seat belt, both work however in extreme situations the 4 point seat belt is much more secure and preferred.

hiflyer
06-13-2014, 02:11 PM
I guess I'm not understanding...

What does it help? Is their something the stock bike does that I should be aware of?

Hard to explain, I added the fork brace and the belly pan ( which helps in cross wind conditions ) and I believe the bike handles better across the board. The brace prevents "flexing". Metal does flex, watch the wings of the next airplane you ride in.

NCF6B
06-13-2014, 02:43 PM
I have the Kuryakan. Don't notice any major difference. Asked my mechanic about it. He said that on earlier bikes the braces helped stabilize the fork. The new Honda Goldwings have a stiff fork to begin with so in his opinion not much help. He would advocate for the "progressive suspension".

Hornblower
06-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Those of you without the fork brace maybe should try this little test...sit on the bike, grab the bars and aggressively whip it from side-to-side. Due to the weight of the front wheel, and everything attached to it, you will definitely notice the "slop" in the front end. BTW, let me go ahead and apologize to any of you that try this and, as a result, become more aware of the importance of the fork brace. That just cost you a few more bucks to take care of :yikes:.

edgeman55
06-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Superbrace on mine and it made the bike feel tighter at low speeds and tracks better at high speed in the sweepers.And as stated a bellypan beyond protection really helps stability in crosswinds.

gray rider
06-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Go to the advanced search block and search "fork brace" and read the many earlier comments on various braces available. Lots of useful earlier info to read.

Rustysocket
06-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Go to the advanced search block and search "fork brace" and read the many earlier comments on various braces available. Lots of useful earlier info to read.

Thanks everybody. I'll do some searching and read up a little more.

fast eddie
06-14-2014, 08:47 AM
put up a survey chart see what people say :icon_rolleyes: