PDA

View Full Version : oil usage

opas ride
06-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Does the F6B motor use any oil during normal oil change intervals if ridden moderately and not pushed a lot??...It is a little bit, not much, of a hassle to remove the engine side cover just to check the oil level and I have not put enough miles on mine yet to change oil again after I did it at 800 miles.....(I know the book says 4000, but I wanted to anyhow)....Just curious????..Thanks

SpeedyWho
06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Mine doesn't use any as far as I can tell. It's only got 22k on it, not even broken in yet

F6B-RICH
06-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Mine uses some oil because I have a leak somewhere :icon_doh: Left side on the top of the head.Sometimes I go on rides and nothing :shrug: then sometimes like Sunday had oil on the side cover and the exhaust shield.I can not figure out why sometimes no problem and sometimes I am leaking :icon_biggrin:.batman-smilie.

jakec
06-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Opas, on any Wing or F6b I've owned I change oil every 5000 Mi. and never check it between changes. Now if I saw a leak or smoke in the exhaust that would be a different story. Rich you probably have a valve cover leak and should be fixed under warranty.

opas ride
06-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys for the responses..My 99 Valkyrie never used any oil at all between changes and I was pretty sure the 1800 flat- six didn't either but wanted to hear from some with more time on the GW/F6B than me....Thanks again..

Scotrod
06-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Approaching 12k after first OC at 5k,,, Pulled cover and stick last week. Bike 100% cold. Just at the bottom of the 'range', so not too worried*** as the next OC (12k) is coming real soon.

***I'm no 'Ricky-Racer' and I darn sure don't run 120+ mph. If I was / if I did, I'd follow the instructions in the manual to determine oil level and/or slip a pint in for S + G.

Phantom
06-17-2014, 01:04 PM
:icon_wink:

Long ago a Honda service manager had told me the following ….

The Flat 6 engine TOTAL Oil Capacity is around 5 quarts when first filled.

ONLY 4 quarts ever drain, the 5th residual quart remains through out the pump system, valleys and crevices.

The dipstick high and low marks on a AUTOMOBILE are normally 1 quart apart. So if this applies to the Honda 1800 engine and it's burning oil ….. that means if the oil is at the lowest point of the dipstick, the engine still has 4 quarts within it (80%), still enough to operate without any damage.

I'm only aware of a 2002 GL1800 GoldWing that burns 1/2 of a quart every 5000 miles, that Goldwing has 325,000 HARD-agressive miles. Not bad if you ask me from an engine with this high mileage.

NONE of my Honda 1800 bikes have ever burned any oil, don't worry nor bother checking level unless as stated above you see a leak or smoke.

Steve 0080
06-17-2014, 01:49 PM
If there is not a puddle why would you ever check a F6 oil level??? :stirthepot: