PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.....a few questions

Duke4
06-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Hi all
Just joined the forum last night and negotiated a deal on a bike today. Found a great deal on a 2013 factory demo. Cool to get a good deal,full warranty and cheap Honda financing all at once.

A few questions...
Not too impressed with the sound system..Does the factory sound system use a external amplifier or is it built in?
Does the deck have pre amp outs or just speaker level outputs?
Does the optional centre stand effect ground clearance or do the pegs hit first?
Will have more questions I'm sure as I get into this:icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
06-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Hi all
Just joined the forum last night and negotiated a deal on a bike today. Found a great deal on a 2013 factory demo. Cool to get a good deal,full warranty and cheap Honda financing all at once.

A few questions...
Not too impressed with the sound system..Does the factory sound system use a external amplifier or is it built in?
Does the optional centre stand effect ground clearance or do the pegs hit first?

Welcome first of all…WOW!!!! that is a shopping list….

1. Over my head..don’t turn the radio on…
2. Still over my head…
3 pegs first…if you are bent over and the center stands drags, you are probably up side down
4. Spend a few hours and read threads from the beginning …it will save you time and money!!!

Scotrod
06-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Welcome!

1. Amp located above/behind rear wheel.
2. Doubtful that it has RCA type pre-amp outs,,, or 'easily accessible' line level outs before the amp.

Have not verified, but assume head unit / pre amp level output is wired via the loom to Amp, then out at speaker level.

Wingstuff has some 'amp/speaker' kits for Goldwings, so I'm sure some folks/manufacturers are 'in the know' on the OEM system, but I'm not that experienced.

Upgrade speakers are also available from Wingstuff, with J + M having good reviews.

http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=speakers

3. YES, the center stand will drag before the pegs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if the rear wheel falls off. :yikes:

:icon_biggrin:

Welcome aboard!!

hiflyer
06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Seems to be a lot of people unhappy with the radio. I have no problem with it. I think most of the problem is adjusting the AVC.

Dmoon64
06-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Just keep turning the volume up. If I have to listen to Molly Hatchet everyone has to listen to Molly Hatchet.. :icon_lol:

smokinjoe187
06-20-2014, 03:59 AM
Just keep turning the volume up. If I have to listen to Molly Hatchet everyone has to listen to Molly Hatchet.. :icon_lol:

first off
avc sucks all the power out of the radio...
and yes molly hatchett NEEDS to be WAY loud!!
if you want to listen to the radio loud....
you will need a big screen
you may be missing the point of the bike....
its a giggle machine...first and foremost
i have a stereo at home...
i ride the crap out of my 6...
21 k since last march...

luckyluciano
06-20-2014, 09:50 AM
first off
avc sucks all the power out of the radio...
and yes molly hatchett NEEDS to be WAY loud!!
if you want to listen to the radio loud....
you will need a big screen
you may be missing the point of the bike....
its a giggle machine...first and foremost
i have a stereo at home...
i ride the crap out of my 6...
21 k since last march...

What in the world is a giggle Machine?
What is an AVC?

Ebony Deluxe
06-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Great sterio, better then anything HD puts out. Just dial in settings, and some J&M's

opas ride
06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
I just don't understand why the damn stereo is so important on a bike...I guess I am to "old school" and could care less about music on a bike..Nice pipes, good motor sounds, and a comfortable riding and handling bike are far more important to me than whether or not the bike as a "zillion watt" amp, etc...JMHO and as they say "too each his own".....Ride safe....

TitansFan
06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
What is an AVC?
AVC = Auto Volume Control. It's one of the setting options for the stereo, it automatically increases the volume as the bike's speed increases. (I don't get the part about it sucking all the power out of the radio, though).

smokinjoe187
06-20-2014, 03:30 PM
AVC = Auto Volume Control. It's one of the setting options for the stereo, it automatically increases the volume as the bike's speed increases. (I don't get the part about it sucking all the power out of the radio, though).

my bad...i meant the surround sound,avc is the trick to hear it at speed....oops...got excited again
and giggle machine should be self explanatory...

hiflyer
06-20-2014, 03:39 PM
I just don't understand why the damn stereo is so important on a bike...I guess I am to "old school" and could care less about music on a bike..Nice pipes, good motor sounds, and a comfortable riding and handling bike are far more important to me than whether or not the bike as a "zillion watt" amp, etc...JMHO and as they say "too each his own".....Ride safe....

I like to listen to CNBC, via XM when on trips, don't listen to music much while riding. I do use the weather feature of the radio.

F6BPDX
06-20-2014, 03:40 PM
giggle machine should be self explanatory...

I think you buy those at adult novelty stores right? :shhh:

opas ride
06-20-2014, 03:47 PM
You guys are a trip!!!..Always enjoy this forum and most times great responses and tips....Ride safe....

WingStuff
06-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Hi all

A few questions...

Congrats on your 2013 and welcome to the forum from southern California. You made the right choice both by getting your hands on an F6B and joining this forum. You should have no problem finding answers to all your F6B-related questions here.
Ride safe and enjoy!

smokinjoe187
06-20-2014, 06:12 PM
I think you buy those at adult novelty stores right? :shhh:

in my case its the honda dealer!!

Rustysocket
06-20-2014, 09:10 PM

..Flirten with Disaster..

SpeedyWho
06-20-2014, 09:38 PM
The best way to hear the stereo better is get a larger windshield. That makes all the difference

Duke4
06-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Congrats on your 2013 and welcome to the forum from southern California. You made the right choice both by getting your hands on an F6B and joining this forum. You should have no problem finding answers to all your F6B-related questions here.
Ride safe and enjoy!

Thanks for the welcome. I get the bike this coming Thursday, placed my first "mod" order with you guys already for an MP3 rack and a 11" baggershield.

Duke4
06-21-2014, 08:42 AM

Style, Comfort and great handling are definitely the top priority. When you add in the torque of the flat 6, this bike is a must have and why I bought the F6B. I have had an FJ11, Fatboy, ZX11, FLHT and all of them had either slip ons or full after market systems. The Harleys were both extra loud with a bunch of other significant performance mods. As time passes I find myself less interested in loud pipes. The "sleeper" is becoming more my style.
Tunes while riding have never been a priority. This will be first bike with any sort of stereo but if it's there I want it to sound as good as possible without spending a fortune. From experience in cars I have found that adding a high current 50 watt with speakers that can take advantage of the added punch just sounds way better..... at even low volume. You don't have to listen to it loud to hear the difference. If I can improve the sound a lot with a $100 or $150 speaker upgrade and a $300 amp I think that would be money well spent. I ordered an 11" windshield which will definitely help too I hope. As you say though.... "too each his own".

WingStuff
06-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I get the bike this coming Thursday, placed my first "mod" order with you guys already for an MP3 rack and a 11" baggershield.

I bet you're so excited (both for the bike and your care package)! Let us know if you have any questions: 800.260.4050/customerservice@cyclegiant.com

shooter
06-23-2014, 08:44 PM
You're gonna like that 11 inch shield for sure.