PDA

View Full Version : Photo: Which one of us made the news?

F6BPDX
06-20-2014, 12:06 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25916868/older-motorcyclists-more-at-risk-need-hone-their

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2014/0606/20140606__20140607_A1_CD07OLDDUDES_(1)~p1.jpg

Happened across this today, wondering if its a member.

Steve 0080
06-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Nice Pic…Article is total :bsII: . The article blames motorcycle deaths on age, when it fact it should be blamed on money! The age group , 45-60 has the most disposable income and that is the sole reason there are more deaths in this group…period! The are basically two types of traffic deaths w/ motorcycles, speed by the rockets and older folks who have raised their kids and want to go back to their youth w/ bikes with too much money and a lost ability to ride. And now how fast bikes are and it is a recipe for tragic results! The latest quote, “ I like to go fast “ comes to mind. The story would have been ok if they had based their thoughts on the root causes of accidents instead of dumping it all on old age!

opas ride
06-20-2014, 10:28 AM
I am 74 years old and have been riding for over 60 years on various types of bikes...I realize that I may be slowing down a little but my reflexes and awareness skills are still pretty damn good...I am a cautious rider and do not take chances like some idiots on sportbikes do at times, and I am always watching my surroundings..I know that some older folks should not ride due to health issues, etc..but there are a lot of younger riders out there that are far more dangerous than me...I think the article is pure "BS" and is typical Denver liberal left wing crap!!!....

F6BPDX
06-20-2014, 11:37 AM
I agree that the article is nonsense. Using age makes no sense without factoring in the other circumstances. A guy who is 60, and has ridden solid for 40 years, putting 12k a year on his bike vs. a 60 year old who "rode dirt bikes as a kid" and goes out and buys a Road King to play pirate on the weekends are two VERY different statistics.

unsub
06-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Guys and Gals..I have to go with "aging riders is the problem". I mean, ask yourselves: Can an older rider get out of a jam like this? Lol

Oh, yeah..I don't see a helmet either. Lol x 2

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/06/20/pkg-motocyclist-flips-over-car.bay-news-9.html

Exbmwrider
06-20-2014, 12:43 PM
This article tries to place causative factor on age, while completely ignoring one major fact. NHTSA statistics continually and regularly show that approximately 50% of motorcycle fatalities involve the rider having consumed alcohol. If there is something to be learned, it's that it probably isn't a good idea to "bar hop," get sloppy, and then get on a 900 lb. motorcycle.

Here's some information from a USC/NHTSA study conducted in 2006. Good points to keep in mind, particularly high visibility clothing.

Ride safe/sober!!!

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html

Ericb445
06-22-2014, 10:03 PM
It always cracks me up to read the comments from these Articles. Like this one

"I think what gets more older riders killed on bikes is a combination of alcohol, and like the guy in the picture above, no helmet and armor, and big, heavy, cumbersome bikes like the one he's riding that are beasts to handle, don't turn or stop as quick. Pretty easy to see how losing it on a curve would be on a 700-800 pound bike like that. Throw a few beers into the equation, throw your leg over your Harley wearing only leather chaps and the ubiquitous Harley Davidson t-shirt for protection... Yup, your asking for it."

Clearly he has never ridden a wing of any sorts. Calls it a heavy cumbersome bike:icon_rolleyes:

XKnight
06-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Cool pic! Looks like he's smoking a cigar too. The man definitely embraces life and doesn't give a f@@k what anyone thinks. I didn't bother reading the article.

jaygollner
06-23-2014, 08:10 PM
I think the article made sense, I have seen my share of guys who hit there forties and decide it's time to go back to riding. Hell I did the same thing 14 years ago when I hit forty five. The bottom line is we all lose a step with age and need to use our experience to see accidents before they happen and avoid them.

Fla_rider
06-24-2014, 12:12 AM
I did notice it was a picture of the faster red bike!:041:

Darren
06-24-2014, 05:18 AM
I did notice it was a picture of the faster red bike!:041:

They tried to take a picture of the stealth black, but it was too fast to register on the camera's sensor. 'riding'"whatdidImiss"

jakec
06-24-2014, 08:42 AM
I agree with Jaygollner, I don't see anything wrong with the article. Good reminder to practice your skills and be safe. Your never to old to die.

F6BPDX
06-24-2014, 12:13 PM
I agree with Jaygollner, I don't see anything wrong with the article. Good reminder to practice your skills and be safe. Your never to old to die.

But the article focuses far more on age than skill. "Using age makes no sense without factoring in the other circumstances. A guy who is 60, and has ridden solid for 40 years, putting 12k a year on his bike vs. a 60 year old who "rode dirt bikes as a kid" and goes out and buys a Road King to play pirate on the weekends are two VERY different statistics."

racer
06-24-2014, 12:25 PM
One of the comments put this in perspective:

Second, the statistics pretty well mirror the general population. About 90% of motorcyclists are male, and in general, nearly 56% of the population is over 45. Therefore, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about his statistics that are out of the ordinary.

Of the 86 bikers and passengers killed in 2013, 90 percent were male and nearly 57 percent were 45 or older. Twenty-four were 55 or older.

Of the 27 fatalities thus far this year, 93 percent were male and 44 percent were 45 or older.

Retired Army
06-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Life is good us card carrying old farts still have the rite to decide when it's time to stop.

jakec
06-24-2014, 02:04 PM
F6BPDX, that's a point well made.

Retired Army
06-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Lets open the big can of worms. At what age will the state decide to stop issuing riding endorsements because of age? Just when you thought the trike was riding time extender, an older friend of mine in the Legion Riders was sitting in a right turn land when a cage driver changed lanes and rolled his Harley trike. The impact rolled the trike causing severe damage and breaking his shoulder. No age of the cage driver was mentioned.