PDA

View Full Version : 11,648 and racking up the miles

Elin in So. Cal.
06-21-2014, 09:16 PM
I've been on the road for three days now, with the trailer in tow and Sparky in the "doggage" on the seat behind me. It's been fabulous... here is my campsite this evening at Fortuna, CA, after 257 miles of heat across the California great valley to the coastal range. Temps had been over 90 every day (hard to be outdoors that long) and now it is in the high 60s. I'm in heaven.

I plan to keep going north and eventually end up near Sheridan Wyoming, and then down to Denver and visit friends and family along the way.

The trailer is the BOMB. The guys who worked on the harness for the RQ (defective little black box) said they thought it was lighter than the fiberglass ones they deal with. It has had a few minor issues that I corrected with ordinary tools. Actually, the only time I know it's behind me is when I get too close to the centerline and the dots or divots thrum through one of the back wheels.

Now back to your regular programming whilst I enjoy more of this wine.

Elin in So. Cal.
06-21-2014, 09:21 PM
This was in Coarsegold, dry central California oak tree and grass woodlands. This site had mosquitos!!
Next night in the gold country beyond Sutter's Mill and Auburn. This is where they hold the Draft Horse Classic in September. Fun to camp with an "iron horse"!

Phantom
06-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Very nice.

But where's the AC, TV and nice cushy mattress? :icon_wink::yes:

Elin in So. Cal.
06-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Very nice.

But where's the AC, TV and nice cushy mattress? :icon_wink::yes:

Too funny, Mr. T. I have one of the better backpacking air mattresses (hand pressure blows it up), and under that is a truck silver-bubble windsheild cooler, and then the tent and a ground cloth (blue plastic tarp). On the air pad (really, comfy, by the way) is a sheet, blanket and the down sleeping bag I last used while in a snow cave in Switzerland --so it is older than most of you, and still works great!

And just in case, I also have my Hennessy hammock. At under $40 a night for camping with electricity and water, I am not complaining at all. Now, if it starts raining, maybe....

On highway 49. Note terrible traffic.
At the top of Highway 36. Again, nothing but bears and me.
The walnut grove near Oroville.