PDA

View Full Version : Weather

MichaelG
06-06-2013, 04:45 PM
There are very good reasons WHY I choose to live north of the 45th parallel. One of the reasons is...because I like cooler temperatures.
Today, it is 80 degrees outside, and that is too hot for me, for just standing around, and installing things on the bike, or...(please forgive me) working on my new barn I am building for my critters. It is a RCA...raised center aisle barn, that is 48' x 30', and I am building 93.14159 % of it by myself.

So, the point of this thread is to ask all you folks that live south of the 45th parallel...please keep your hot temperatures down there in your neck '0 the woods.

I would be much happier if it was 50 degrees out, or...a light misty rain.

Wingman
06-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I agree completely. I am from New England and live in North Carolina, so you can imagine the disparity. So while I sit inside and ride out yet another tropical storm, I’ll day dream about moving back north some day.

MichaelG
06-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Wingman, I was born in upper Maine...east of Caribou.

But there are a lot of places even in New England where the humidity can be relentless. Upper Maine is not bad, but places in Mass and Conn can be tough.

Wingman
06-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Interior is tough. I have 4 acres and a cabin in Stoneham Maine, and it gets pretty warm in the summer. Luckily I grew up on the coast in Newport RI, so I have been spoiled with reasonably cool summers with sea breezes.

Alberta Beagle
06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
After a few years in the Great White North you would be begging for warmer temps.
Our riding season is very short here. Starts mid April, gets a one week delay after a May snowstorm, monsoon season is the month of June. Then it warms up for July and August. And the fall chill sets in. Last ride of the year for me last year was October 19 th due to a major snowfall that didn't go away til April of this year.
But on the bright side we have no floods, earthquakes or hurricanes so there is always a bright side.

Beagle

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-08-2013, 12:02 AM
9:50 PM and it's still 90-degrees here in El Dorado Hills CA. Would rather have some:rainyday:

MichaelG
06-08-2013, 07:58 AM
9:50 PM and it's still 90-degrees here in El Dorado Hills CA. Would rather have some:rainyday:

First...how was the trip...and Rome ?

Next, I am still coming down to Auburn on the 27th of this month, and staying in Rocklin on the night of the 27th, then in Auburn on the 28th and 29th, then heading honme on the morning of the 30th.

Want to come join us at the fairgrounds in Auburn, for the Classic Japanese Motorcycle Club Swap Meet and Show ????????

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Miles: Yes! I often miss this event due to my poor planning skills, so thanks for the reminder! Today I will go try to find my VJMC t-shirt so I will be properly dressed for the occasion! The only thing that might keep me away is temperatures over 100- degrees, as I posted a few minutes ago regarding Hollister. Attening early and leaving before it gets too hot seams to be a good strategy. I will PM you my cell number today.
Rome was great, thanks for asking. Magical City, so much to see and do, walking distance to many famous sites. And the weather was fantastic. Watching the traffic race, and I do mean race, was quite a thrill. Motorcycles, Scooters, Cars and Trucks, all playing a game of Chicken with each other. Traffic laws are suggestions, not rules. Momma Mia!
I also had a chance to see Lake Como in Northern Italy, and we stayed in Mandello del Lario to visit the Moto Guzzi museum. What a treat, and such a beautiful location to make motorcycles. Seamed more like a cottage industry. Interesting that Moto Guzzi was Soichiro Honda's favorite Mothercycle Manufacturer (other than his own?)

jkelley
06-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Well Miles you sure as heck don't want to head this way. Here in NC it's hot and will shortly be damned hot.

We will be upper 80's all week, and nothing but rain all year. We are about 17" over our average rainfall for the year.

So we are constantly 100% humidity!!!! On nice days you can't go 30 miles in any direction without getting soaked.

BubbaJePH
06-10-2013, 08:57 AM
There are some days here in Virginia, I've ridden in 100+ temps. Still wearing my tourmaster jacket, gloves, long pants and boots. I just add layers of clothing when it is in the 20s in the winter. It is better on two wheels than four.

jkelley
06-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Winter is my favorite riding time. Electric gear is the best money I have ever spent in motorcycling.

Deer Slayer
07-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Nobody retires and moves up North.

Paul B Blues
07-27-2013, 10:39 AM
After a few years in the Great White North you would be begging for warmer temps.
Our riding season is very short here. Starts mid April, gets a one week delay after a May snowstorm, monsoon season is the month of June. Then it warms up for July and August. And the fall chill sets in. Last ride of the year for me last year was October 19 th due to a major snowfall that didn't go away til April of this year.
But on the bright side we have no floods, earthquakes or hurricanes so there is always a bright side.

Beagle

That's why there are so many Scots living in Canada, the weather is just like home :lolup:

MichaelG
07-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Nobody retires and moves up North.

That would be....a wrong statement. If I were to move anywhere, it would be NORTH...not south.:icon_mrgreen:

Deer Slayer
07-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Miles,
I always thought of Washington as West as I lived in Moses Lake from 1963-1965. I Had a great time. I am 20 USAF ret Guy..

See Ya.

MichaelG
07-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi Miles,
I always thought of Washington as West as I lived in Moses Lake from 1963-1965. I Had a great time. I am 20 USAF ret Guy..

See Ya.

Yes, Wasdhington is West...of North Carolina. But it is also North of NC. To me, anything North of the 45th parallel is...North.

That leaves a lot of US states out, so...I have to include anything down to the 42nd parallel, even if I don't want to.

BTW, I was born at the 46.5 parallel, in Maine, and now live at the 46.5 parallel in Washington, more than 3000 miles away from one another.

Mustangjake
07-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I live in fl. And I want to move north!
But I would have to go with out Sandy (wife)!
Today my weather app said it was 95 feels like 101.
It was a very hot trip today !

MichaelG
07-28-2013, 12:11 AM
I live in fl. And I want to move north!
But I would have to go with out Sandy (wife)!
Today my weather app said it was 95 feels like 101.
It was a very hot trip today !

There are many women named Sandy that live in the northern states............(just saying):shock:

Mustangjake
07-28-2013, 07:36 AM
She has just got me trained !
She says it would to long to train a replacement :icon_lol: