PDA

View Full Version : Please help, upcoming Colorado trip

Elroy
06-25-2014, 09:13 PM
So here's my dilemma, please bear with me. Have a 10 day trip to Colorado coming up with co-workers. We are trailering out there as we cannot take enough days off to ride it. I got my F6 in early May but was fortunate enough to be able to keep my old bike; an '07 1500 Vulcan Classic with cobra exhaust. 10 of us are going, 2 full Wings(my 57 yr old father and his same aged friend), a 21ish guy on a Yamaha sport bike, a 40 something guy with a Suzuki m109, 40 something on a small cruiser, with too big a fairing (forget the make and model), and 4 on Harley's ~ three 40 something's and a 19 yr old (all sportsters, no SGs or RKs). My dilemma being, I don't know which bike to take. Before you flame me too hard, let me explain. I LOVE my F6, will probably never get rid of it, can perform on it better than any bike I've ever ridden. BUT my Vulcan is LOUD and it's like my old childhood friend and the F6 is the hot new girlfriend. Admittedly, I want to take my Vulcan out of spite to Harley. So all those "hog" riders can see how much they overpay for their name-only and how much more bike I got compared to their 1100cc, 1200cc sportsters and how it sounds just as good. Plus of course I admit the "Old-Wing" stigma bothers me a bit when in a group. If it's just my wife and I on the 6 I'm perfectly fine with it. I just dispise what Harley is, and the fan-boys who ride them. (Not all Harley owners are fan-boys, I know) Its just I worry about catching shit on the F6 cause I'm on a Seniors bike when I've got a Harley-comprable bike at home that'd I'd take over any Harley.

So if anyone reads all of this I'm sorry and thank you. I just need some comments to psych me up and convince me the F6 is the right ride to take. Again I LOVE my F6. Also I'm 27 yrs old. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. :icon_rolleyes:

Scotrod
06-25-2014, 09:23 PM
The one with the best tires.

smokinjoe187
06-25-2014, 09:25 PM
So here's my dilemma, please bear with me. Have a 10 day trip to Colorado coming up with co-workers. We are trailering out there as we cannot take enough days off to ride it. I got my F6 in early May but was fortunate enough to be able to keep my old bike; an '07 1500 Vulcan Classic with cobra exhaust. 10 of us are going, 2 full Wings(my 57 yr old father and his same aged friend), a 21ish guy on a Yamaha sport bike, a 40 something guy with a Suzuki m109, 40 something on a small cruiser, with too big a fairing (forget the make and model), and 4 on Harley's ~ three 40 something's and a 19 yr old (all sportsters, no SGs or RKs). My dilemma being, I don't know which bike to take. Before you flame me too hard, let me explain. I LOVE my F6, will probably never get rid of it, can perform on it better than any bike I've ever ridden. BUT my Vulcan is LOUD and it's like my old childhood friend and the F6 is the hot new girlfriend. Admittedly, I want to take my Vulcan out of spite to Harley. So all those "hog" riders can see how much they overpay for their name-only and how much more bike I got compared to their 1100cc, 1200cc sportsters and how it sounds just as good. Plus of course I admit the "Old-Wing" stigma bothers me a bit when in a group. If it's just my wife and I on the 6 I'm perfectly fine with it. I just dispise what Harley is, and the fan-boys who ride them. (Not all Harley owners are fan-boys, I know) Its just I worry about catching shit on the F6 cause I'm on a Seniors bike when I've got a Harley-comprable bike at home that'd I'd take over any Harley.

So if anyone reads all of this I'm sorry and thank you. I just need some comments to psych me up and convince me the F6 is the right ride to take. Again I LOVE my F6. Also I'm 27 yrs old. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. :icon_rolleyes:

how about this...if you dont take it you will be wasting a great trip...you will be amazed at the crowd that bike will draw and i guranteeee you will have WAY more fun..21k on mine and i never regret buying and old mans bike...its a freaking rocket,now the question is are you up to it...
btw my harley friends all love my 6...most say after riding it they would consider it for there next bike...most cant keep up with it either
just saying...

RickW
06-25-2014, 09:27 PM
I have a VN 2000 Classic, and for a long trip there is no comparison between that and the F6B. Save the Vulcan for short trips and be comfortable.

Philbert40
06-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Are you kidding! Take the F6B! Ride circles around all of the others. I have never had anyone compare my F6 to a grandpa wing.

besides...the Harley guys will nned someone to tow them when they break down.:yikes:

Ray H
06-25-2014, 10:40 PM
My vote goes for the F6. The enjoyment factor is off the scale and Colorado is a great place to ride.

Ray

bobbyf6b
06-26-2014, 12:00 AM
I vote for the F6B too. More sporty, more comfy and you'll have tunes. Plus everywhere you go your bike will be the one everyone looks at and talks about. The Vulcan is a cool bike but it flies under the radar as "just another cruiser".

Question. If you don't have time to RIDE there, then how do you have time to DRIVE there? JW

.batman-smilie.

Elroy
06-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys, just what I needed :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod - I see you being tricky there, "The one with the best tires" Since the 6 is only a month old....

Smokinjoe - I plan to offer them a chance to take it up the road if I catch any flak

Rick - My wife and I were deciding between a '14 Nomad as well before we bought the 6. The stock seat on that Nomad is unbelievable....

Philbert - Thanks for the reassurance, I'll let you know if I get called an old man, :icon_wink:

Ray - The 6 is the only bike I've ridden that cause me to involuntarily let out a "woohoo!" while riding. Enjoyment, indeed. And CO is my fav. state in the Union. Rode there 4 years ago. Beautiful state.

Bobby - Thank you. Your comments sealed it for me. Like it or Hate it, my 6 will be the one that gets the attention at stops I'm sure. And you're right again, I wouldn't like to be "just another cruiser" on this trip. As to your question; some people in our group(mainly the Harley folk) have not ridden more than 3, 4, 500 miles on a trip so that's one factor. Also with driving, fatigue and weather is much less of a factor plus we can rotate drivers, this will get us there faster. Unless your Easy Rider, or Miles....., OUR group as whole, will get there in less time driving than if we rode. Plus Kansas is boring (sorry, Kansans).

Thanks very much again everyone! Will wash&wax the 6 tonight. We leave tomorrow morning, 6am.

hoglaw
06-26-2014, 08:06 AM
I love my new F6B and think you made the best choice. The Vulcan won't impress anyone, much less Harley owners. At best it was an attempt to copy a proven product rather than staying with what Kawasaki does best. And, although I'm old I hardly consider the F6B an old guy's bike...too much power and excellent handling. Enjoy your trip.

bubbaj1
06-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Take the f6, I rode in colorado last year and would have loved to have had my f6b. The roads are good and curvy. I recommend trail ridge road,you have to pay to get on it but you can ride it multiple days through the park.

jakec
06-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Elroy, I mean no disrespect but I think you should sell your F6b or get new friends. You sound like your embarassed for your F6b and that kinda pisses me off. I ride what I like and don't care what anybody thinks [ I"ve had Wings for 30 years] and I don't care what anybody else rides, I just respect they ride. I think you should just go buy a Harley because when people bring them up it's because they really want one.

Scotrod
06-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Eh, when you're 27, you look at things a bit differently than folks in their 40's-90's,,,

Back when I was 27, loud and unruly had it's appeal, and folks with 'different viewpoints' just might need to be educated,,,

Now, 'loud and unruly' isn't desired, (Quality over quantity) and folks with different viewpoints can just keep on livin in their own world,,, :icon_wink:

Elroy
06-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Elroy, I mean no disrespect but I think you should sell your F6b or get new friends. You sound like your embarassed for your F6b and that kinda pisses me off. I ride what I like and don't care what anybody thinks [ I"ve had Wings for 30 years] and I don't care what anybody else rides, I just respect they ride. I think you should just go buy a Harley because when people bring them up it's because they really want one.

No offense taken Jake, but friends and coworkers are two different things. As I said, a large reason I wanted to take the Vulc, was to spite the Harley owners. I probably paid less for mine new and got much more bike, sounds as good, and has been trouble free for 7years, than they paid for theirs several years used. I'm not sure why it would "piss" you off...seems a little unnecessary, but as you said, to each his own. I'll ignore that last sentence as I don't like it when people presume to know others intents and desires.....especially when drawing conclusions from a forum post.

Elroy
06-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Eh, when you're 27, you look at things a bit differently than folks in their 40's-90's,,,

Back when I was 27, loud and unruly had it's appeal, and folks with 'different viewpoints' just might need to be educated,,,

Now, 'loud and unruly' isn't desired, (Quality over quantity) and folks with different viewpoints can just keep on livin in their own world,,, :icon_wink:

Now if I could only pull trigger on some F6 exhaust I'd have the best of both worlds! :icon_wink:

SmallPasture
06-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Now if I could only pull trigger on some F6 exhaust I'd have the best of both worlds! :icon_wink:

For what it's worth Elroy, I bought my 1st Goldwing 1500 SE I was a youngin' just like you at 27! I have only left the wing world for a 4 year midlife crisis called a Kawasaki Concourse 14. And yes it was a painful as it sounds.

To each his own but w/ the 6 there is want for little else.

SmallPasture
06-26-2014, 11:29 AM

:lolup: Could not have put it any better!

Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink except yours!

smokinjoe187
06-26-2014, 11:50 AM

vance and hines monster ovals....they are grerat...love mine...btw wingstuff is a sponsor of the website...they hooked me up very quickly
you will be way happy
call and ask for Rodney...he jumped on my order

Scotrod
06-26-2014, 12:20 PM

:icon_biggrin:

Sounds like ya need to add some pipes on your 'to-do' list!!! :banana:

miramiramira
06-26-2014, 01:02 PM
No offense taken Jake, but friends and coworkers are two different things. As I said, a large reason I wanted to take the Vulc, was to spite the Harley owners. I probably paid less for mine new and got much more bike, sounds as good, and has been trouble free for 7years, than they paid for theirs several years used. I'm not sure why it would "piss" you off...seems a little unnecessary, but as you said, to each his own. I'll ignore that last sentence as I don't like it when people presume to know others intents and desires.....especially when drawing conclusions from a forum post.

Definitely, you should ride for spite and despicableness. Some of the best times in a person's life can come when making other people feel small.

Elroy
06-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Definitely, you should ride for spite and despicableness. Some of the best times in a person's life can come when making other people feel small.

To some degree, isn't that the mentality of some Harley riders? I've been told to "get a real bike" by some of those folk at gas stations and other gatherings when on my Kawi. Regardless I think some people are reading way too much into my OP....I love my old bike and my 6, but love the sound of the Kawi. I'm going to be in loud "company" on the trip, just wanted thoughts and opinions thats all...didn't mean to upset any folk. :diggin_smilie:

Elroy
06-26-2014, 02:38 PM
vance and hines monster ovals....they are grerat...love mine...btw wingstuff is a sponsor of the website...they hooked me up very quickly
you will be way happy
call and ask for Rodney...he jumped on my order

Thanks for the contact Joe. I like the V&H but think I like the cobras a bit better.

Elroy
06-26-2014, 02:38 PM
I love my new F6B and think you made the best choice. The Vulcan won't impress anyone, much less Harley owners. At best it was an attempt to copy a proven product rather than staying with what Kawasaki does best. And, although I'm old I hardly consider the F6B an old guy's bike...too much power and excellent handling. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the constructiveness Hog :-) I will enjoy it.

Scotrod
06-26-2014, 03:14 PM
To some degree, isn't that the mentality of some Harley riders? I've been told to "get a real bike" by some of those folk at gas stations and other gatherings when on my Kawi. :

Down here in Houston, there are simply too many 'other' bikes out and about to believe 'There's only one, and it's HD!'

It's very rare here to have anybody start blowing phases like that out in the wind,,, (At least not without the intent of HUMOR, andcertainly not in an attempt to be little some ones ride based purely on the manufacturer.)

Now, I have heard, and I can believe, that in some, eh, crap, how do I say it,,,,, in some places that may not be as modern, diversified, and generally accepting as Houston, that there may be a bit more of the of the 'full of hot air' mentality, but,,, :shrug:

The neat part is,,, when ya get to my age, hearing chit like that just makes ya smile!!! :icon_biggrin: