PDA

View Full Version : Canceling Turn Signals

Fla_rider
06-28-2014, 09:08 AM
I don't know if it's me or not, but doesn't the turn signals cancel too soon as in half the time they should? I always find myself hitting the switch 2 times.

jakec
06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
They do shut off early, I believe after 10 blinks, but if they didn't you could possibly end up in an accident in a busy town where someone thinks your going to turn because your signal is still on. Once you get used to it you just learn to hit it twice under normal situations or you could take a flasher unit off a base model, I believe they aren't self canceling.

Fla_rider
06-28-2014, 10:29 AM
I think I would rather have them cancel then not at all.

Scotrod
06-28-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't know if it's me or not, but doesn't the turn signals cancel too soon as in half the time they should? I always find myself hitting the switch 2 times.

I do not have the SCL's. Have heard before that they do cancel 'early'

No fix that I'm aware of other than 'keep hittin 'em', which kinda seems weird. :shrug:

mtcgun
06-28-2014, 11:33 AM
No fix is needed. they stay on when you're slowed or stopped until after a turn. They blink 10 times when at speed, this is for lane changing. When on the road, I hit the signal, wait 3 blinks to start lane change and forget them, by the time you make a smooth lane change they'll blink maybe 2 more times and go off. How many times have you see guys without self cancellers change lanes and keep blinking for miles? lots. A lot of the new cars do this too, I touch the signal stalk on my F150 and it blinks 3 times, push it farther up and it stays on. I think this is sort of the concept they are shooting for on the goldwings.

motoman
06-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Is it possible to get these as an upgrade on a standard F6?

Scotrod
06-28-2014, 04:33 PM
They blink 10 times when at speed, this is for lane changing. .

First time I've heard that explanation,,, Can't necessarily say I agree with it, but,,, :shrug:

Scotrod
06-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Is it possible to get these as an upgrade on a standard F6?

Not to my knowledge. Not sold as a stand alone item.

The SCS on my Stratoliner worked great. Only bike I've ever had with SCS.

Sorcerer
06-28-2014, 04:45 PM
For those of you who have standards the Blinker Buddy May be your only choice. Had one on my Valk. I would think that the blinker is connected to the speedo and odomitor and some type of timer and the handle bar switch. There are aftermarket units but they don't reset the handle bar switch they only time out.

Steve 0080
06-28-2014, 09:27 PM
The turn signals are tied to the RPM’s……to high on RPM’s and they turn off…if you are down to 2 second gear + lower RPMs they will stay on until after you turn… there is a very old thread on this subject...

austin_tech
06-29-2014, 01:00 PM
No fix is needed. they stay on when you're slowed or stopped until after a turn. They blink 10 times when at speed, this is for lane changing. When on the road, I hit the signal, wait 3 blinks to start lane change and forget them, by the time you make a smooth lane change they'll blink maybe 2 more times and go off. How many times have you see guys without self cancellers change lanes and keep blinking for miles? lots. A lot of the new cars do this too, I touch the signal stalk on my F150 and it blinks 3 times, push it farther up and it stays on. I think this is sort of the concept they are shooting for on the goldwings.

I want to turn off the self-cancelling feature, it is annoying. I've never owned a vehicle that cancels turn signal after 11 blinks " in case you just did a lane change". As a consequence we all have to keep re-hitting the turn signal for most turns.

For you guys that act like "no fix is needed", quit trying to cover for this crap "feature". If your truck did this you would take it I for repair or disable the self-cancel.

Does anyone know how to disable the feature ?

XKnight
06-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Just downgrade to a regular F6 and your problem is solved.

Dmoon64
06-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Here is a link to another thread on this.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?988-Can-we-disconnect-the-self-canceling-signals&highlight=Disable+canceling+turn+signals

glryder98
06-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Can any tell me what I can add to make my turn signals cancel?

mtcgun
06-30-2014, 10:11 AM
I want to turn off the self-cancelling feature, it is annoying. I've never owned a vehicle that cancels turn signal after 11 blinks " in case you just did a lane change". As a consequence we all have to keep re-hitting the turn signal for most turns.

For you guys that act like "no fix is needed", quit trying to cover for this crap "feature". If your truck did this you would take it I for repair or disable the self-cancel.

Does anyone know how to disable the feature ?

Austin, Have you ever tried reading an owners manual on anything before you give your " I know all" answer? Attached is the F150 owners manual on the subject and the F6B owners manual on the subject . Goldwings have actually had this feature for years, and once you understand the how and why of it, its a pretty nice feature. Just because you've never owned a vehicle that does that does not mean it cant be. Like I said, they are supposed to do that.

Hornblower
06-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I may be in the minority but I really have no complaints about my self-cancelling turn signals :icon_biggrin:. I use them a lot for lane changes and it's nice to simply press the turn once and forget about it. Also, when coming to a stop to make a turn, I rarely have to press more than once. As far as I'm concerned, good job Honda :clap2:.

BIGLRY
06-30-2014, 11:05 AM
I may be in the minority but I really have no complaints about my self-cancelling turn signals :icon_biggrin:. I use them a lot for lane changes and it's nice to simply press the turn once and forget about it. Also, when coming to a stop to make a turn, I rarely have to press more than once. As far as I'm concerned, good job Honda :clap2:.+1 I love my self-cancelling turn sig. No more having cages make all kinds of sign language to tell me my turns were left on. I wish my Rune and VTXs had self-cancelling turn sig.:icon_biggrin:

ghostrider
06-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Mine work great also. :yes: I didn't buy the deluxe just for the sc turn signals so it was just a bonus but I do like not having to worry about leaving them on. I was really impressed how well they worked. Only ocassionaly do you have to hit them twice for long turn lanes.

Fla_rider
06-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Wow, such a response. All I was saying if I'm exiting the highway and I signal I'm exiting (ausfart in German) the signal usually turns off before I do. I still love the feature. 'riding'

SCMike
06-30-2014, 07:04 PM
The self-cancelling signals was the major reason I bought the deluxe. On my VTX, I was terrible at remembering to cancel my signals. I forgot more often than I remembered. They do sometimes seem to cancel too early if I'm making a turn rather than a lane change, but I'd much rather hit the switch twice than go miles down the road with every motorist wondering if and when I'm going to turn.

austin_tech
07-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Austin, Have you ever tried reading an owners manual on anything before you give your " I know all" answer? Attached is the F150 owners manual on the subject and the F6B owners manual on the subject . Goldwings have actually had this feature for years, and once you understand the how and why of it, its a pretty nice feature. Just because you've never owned a vehicle that does that does not mean it cant be. Like I said, they are supposed to do that.

Sorry to ruffle feathers. I don't understand why some folks get so wound up defending any dislikes on the bike. In all fairness, I was replying to the blanket "no fix needed" response that you or someone had, which is also a "I know all" response.

Still my fave bike. Still think the "self-cancelling" signals that I have to keep hitting suck. Based on that other thread, and other discussions in the GL1800 forum, I'm not a loner on this. To each his own. Your Ford does that, too? I've never owned one of those. If you actually have to keep reapplying your turn signal in your Ford, I guess it makes sense that you think this is "by design" and supposed to happen.

Stick
07-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Never liked em myself, til the F6B. Signals that stay on too long are a huge threat to your safety. These work perfectly, as far as I am concerned. Good job Honda.