PDA

View Full Version : BLOWN HEADLAMP

IBREWBEER
06-30-2014, 09:05 AM
So i am behind a truck the other day and im staring at the tailgate and only notice one light on, did not think much of it because some tailgates are not even and it distorts things. I get home and i am wiping the bike off and i look at the left headlight cover and it appears to be fogged up. I look closer and I realize the bulb blew up inside the housing and there are shards of glass and dust everywhere. I was going to try to attempt to take the headlight housing out , however once i started diving into it i realized this is no easy feat. I ended rigging my vacuum and got a small hose to fit inside from the back end and got out what i could.

Anyone have this happen?? My bike only has 600 miles! Dealer said they would do a warranty but i dont feel like driving an hour and dropping it off to fix a damn light. Cost me 30$ for new lamps. And let me tell you changing those bulbs is a BITCH....

Hornblower
06-30-2014, 09:26 AM
For me, it would be a no-brainer to drive an hour away to get that headlight repaired under warranty. I say this in consideration that it sounds like you weren't able to get the reflector housing completely clean. The dealer may just replace the entire headlight assembly. If you were going to just replace the bulb, now would be a perfect time to go HID :yes:.

XKnight
06-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Any ideas what would cause a bulb to blow like that. I've had headlights go out, but never explode.

IBREWBEER
06-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Can I go HID just replacing the bulb ? I know nothing about it

IBREWBEER
06-30-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking it was a bulb defect

Hornblower
06-30-2014, 05:34 PM

I'm assuming this will be a lo-beam replacement, right? I don't particularly like HID's for hi-beam due to the warm-up time. So, to answer your question, going HID is just a bulb replacement BUT you do have to work out where to mount the ballast boxes. That makes the switch a little more involved but still, not too difficult. HID lo-beam bulbs are a HUGE improvement in projecting light down-the-road and being seen. Go for it!

BIGLRY
06-30-2014, 06:36 PM
While Hornblower's post is partially correct, the correct/complet answer to your question "just replacing the bulb" you must also add a ballast in conjunction with a HID bulb. The Ballast is what turn the HID bulb on and is wired into the lighting system.

yellow rex
06-30-2014, 11:15 PM
DDM Tuning is less expensive place for HID I have
bought 3 pairs from them never a problem.