PDA

View Full Version : Building a Rear Speaker Set - Ohm Question?

Bama Bagger
06-30-2014, 04:10 PM
I've done research into a rear speaker system for the F6B but unfortunately I have seen that most of the products out there are not sufficient. I am working on putting together a rear speaker system and have a easy question.

First I am looking to: Raising the Passenger Backrest using the Ultimate Seat Backrest Extender making room for the speakers using Twisted Throttle's 4" Brackets securing (to the backrest/luggage rack mounting (front set) screws) Select Increments Versa-Pods Unloaded 4" speaker enclosures containing Kicker KM44CW or Kicker KM42CW Marine Speakers with the EC Honda GL1800 Rear Speaker Harness. "coffee"

Now my question...Should the speaker be either a 4 or 2 Ohm? Does it matter? Anyone have information please advise! .notworthy.

Fla_rider
06-30-2014, 06:29 PM
No expert on this - but if electronic memory serves me right it's whatever the front ones are or greater. Sorry I have not changed the front ones yet. Here is something I found that explains it better.

With a low impedance or resistance of 2 Ohms connected to the amplifier, this will allow for more voltage and current to passed through the load. This will allow for a increase in power rating but at the cost of sound quality. The damping factor of the amplifier is usually cut in half. This is the ratio of the internal output impedance of the amplifier to the load presented to the amplifier. ( Woofers, drivers, etc. ) With low impedance loads this figure is reduced and with higher loads this figure increases. From a sonic standpoint you will find that when the amplifier is presented with a higher impedance of 4 Ohms, the bass definition, detail and extension is usually much better. Current consumption from the vehicle's charging system is also greatly reduced. With low impedance loads the bass kind of takes on a "hard sounding" characteristic that seems to lacks definition and detail. But judge for yourself to see what you prefer. Plus there maybe thermal issues to contend with depending on the amplifiers design and total heat sink area. This can be stressful for the output transistors also. My recommendation for what it is worth... If your goal is sound quality then present the amplifier with a 4 Ohm load
and enjoy the music!!

:lolup:

98valk
06-30-2014, 06:58 PM
I am pretty sure that the front speakers are 3.2 ohm.

I put on some 4 ohm (actually measure closer to 3.2) Patriot rear speakers. I mounted them right to the grab rails (one hole, one bolt). They look good.

But, regardless of the wattage running through them, I can't hardly hear them unless I turn the fronts down to half or lower. Once I do that, the four speakers sound great together. But, it is not worth running at half volume.

So if you can, try the speakers first. Someday, I am going to try the GL1800 rear speakers and see how loud they are.

Here are some pics for fun ...

Bama Bagger
06-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Guys,

Thanks for your input. I recently upgraded the front speakers to the J&M brand and they are rated at 3.8 ohms. I'll go with the 4 Ohm units as I definitely want the additional bass. Once I get these assembled and installed I'll post a review and pictures. :icon_mrgreen:

Dirtstiff's F6B
07-01-2014, 12:41 AM
4 ohm, 4 speakers, particularly if you add an amp later.

Darkknight
07-03-2014, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the versa pod lead.
I've installed a couple sets of speakers on the rear of my F6 but I keep blowing them up. I was looking for unloaded enclosures and then I'd pick a set of speakers to fill them. I couldn't find anything that wasn't vehicle specific. I was just looking for some nice round plastic enclosures for maybe a 5.25 speaker.
The 4" might be work!
My issue is that the final set up can't interfere with the luggage on the rack or the passenger. I was hoping to maybe remove the front set and install them in the rear, then upgrade the front speakers. But the fronts are component type and would require even more room for the tweeters.
But this is a start.
I suppose if I was really handy like those TV shows that rebuild an entire car in 60 minutes, I could sculpt an enclosure out of fiberglass that would form around the passenger backrest and mount to, or under the riser. maybe cover it in material that looked like the seat.
Hmmmm....

Bama Bagger
07-08-2014, 12:21 AM
I've got all of the components in and will be installing tomorrow...

I am using the following: First I am looking to: Raising the Passenger Backrest using the Ultimate Seat Backrest Extender making room for the speakers using Twisted Throttle's 4" Brackets securing (to the backrest/luggage rack mounting (front set) screws) Select Increments Versa-Pods Unloaded 4" speaker enclosures containing Kicker KM44CW Marine Speakers with the EC Honda GL1800 Rear Speaker Harness.

I've assembled the Versa-Pods and the Kickers and they look great together. I'll post photos tomorrow and report the sound results!

SmallPasture
07-08-2014, 07:26 AM
. I'll post photos tomorrow and report the sound results!

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!:banana:

Cool Hand Luke
04-01-2015, 08:53 PM
I know it's an old thread (last year) but I am interested in adding rear speakers. I found it doing my research on the forum.

Bamabagger, have you ever finished the rear speakers setup? If so, any pictures and comments of how it works?

My idea is to add a chopped tour pak and add rear speaker pods for it. I just need to know how to hook the speakers to the bike. I read that there is a rear speaker hook up under the passenger seat (4 pin). I'd like to know if anyone has done this before. If so, I need to know how it was done, i.e. what cable I need, is rear amp needed or not, etc.

The speaker pods fit 6.5" speakers. I do miss the surround sound I had on my GW and K1200LT. I really like the looks of chopped (and razor) tour pak on F6B.

Any help is appreciated.

Jimmytee
04-01-2015, 09:16 PM
I know it's an old thread (last year) but I am interested in adding rear speakers. I found it doing my research on the forum.

Bamabagger, have you ever finished the rear speakers setup? If so, any pictures and comments of how it works?

My idea is to add a chopped tour pak and add rear speaker pods for it. I just need to know how to hook the speakers to the bike. I read that there is a rear speaker hook up under the passenger seat (4 pin). I'd like to know if anyone has done this before. If so, I need to know how it was done, i.e. what cable I need, is rear amp needed or not, etc.

The speaker pods fit 6.5" speakers. I do miss the surround sound I had on my GW and K1200LT. I really like the looks of chopped (and razor) tour pak on F6B.

Any help is appreciated.

The speaker leads are under the seat for the rear speakers. How well the OEM amplifier will power some rear speakers will be dependent upon many variables. Of course you could always add an amplifier, but in my efforts to upgrade the audio system on my bike, I found the best way to add an amp, was to get the pre amp signal straight from the audio unit before it went to the amplifier. This requires a little more work , but doable. However , many probably won't want to got through the same effort as I did. BTW, I am only running front speakers , which I have changed to Polk Audio MM series component speakers , plus I have a sub and well, I'm extremely pleased.:clap2:

Cool Hand Luke
04-01-2015, 10:34 PM
The speaker leads are under the seat for the rear speakers. How well the OEM amplifier will power some rear speakers will be dependent upon many variables. Of course you could always add an amplifier, but in my efforts to upgrade the audio system on my bike, I found the best way to add an amp, was to get the pre amp signal straight from the audio unit before it went to the amplifier. This requires a little more work , but doable. However , many probably won't want to got through the same effort as I did. BTW, I am only running front speakers , which I have changed to Polk Audio MM series component speakers , plus I have a sub and well, I'm extremely pleased.:clap2:

Thank you Jimmytee for a fast response! My thinking is if there are speaker leads for rear speakers already on the bike why not just try a set of speakers. I would think that Honda is using the same radio/amp system as in a Goldwing, which powers the rear speakers just fine. If not, I guess adding an amp or amplified speakers is a must. Heck, on radio itself there is fade control, which I assume is there if rear speakers are also added. I put mine on just the front speakers to make sure they're as strong as possible.

Adding rear speakers on chopped tour pak seems to me as very clean installation, I'd love to try.

98valk
04-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Hey, here is a new idea.

I am still not happy with my rear 4" speakers. They add a bit, but are otherwise totally useless.

So, I thought about putting a 4"x10" dual coil speaker between the handle bars. I could get more bass and the sound would be close to me (maybe I could actually hear it).

So, now the new idea. Why not replace the original front speakers with some dual voice coil speakers, and connect both the front and rear wiring to them?? :020:

We would effectively have four speakers up front. We could get twice the power without changing anything (except the speakers). Maybe the SRS feature would even do something.

Feedback? Any guinea pigs?

This is not a suggested choice, just an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RetroSound-Dual-Voice-Coil-6-5-Inch-Dash-Replacement-Speaker-1-77-Depth-/351199338145?hash=item51c51c9ea1&vxp=mtr

Jimmytee
04-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Thank you Jimmytee for a fast response! My thinking is if there are speaker leads for rear speakers already on the bike why not just try a set of speakers. I would think that Honda is using the same radio/amp system as in a Goldwing, which powers the rear speakers just fine. If not, I guess adding an amp or amplified speakers is a must. Heck, on radio itself there is fade control, which I assume is there if rear speakers are also added. I put mine on just the front speakers to make sure they're as strong as possible.

Adding rear speakers on chopped tour pak seems to me as very clean installation, I'd love to try.

Yes, the OEM set up is for four channels ,same as the fully dressed Gold Wing. You don't need an extra amp to add rear speakers. Don't know how well they'd perform. It would depend on the speakers. It should be the same power as the front channels.

Jimmytee
04-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Hey, here is a new idea.

I am still not happy with my rear 4" speakers. They add a bit, but are otherwise totally useless.

So, I thought about putting a 4"x10" dual coil speaker between the handle bars. I could get more bass and the sound would be close to me (maybe I could actually hear it).

So, now the new idea. Why not replace the original front speakers with some dual voice coil speakers, and connect both the front and rear wiring to them?? :020:

We would effectively have four speakers up front. We could get twice the power without changing anything (except the speakers). Maybe the SRS feature would even do something.

Feedback? Any guinea pigs?

This is not a suggested choice, just an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RetroSound-Dual-Voice-Coil-6-5-Inch-Dash-Replacement-Speaker-1-77-Depth-/351199338145?hash=item51c51c9ea1&vxp=mtr
Sounds like an interesting idea, but it would be highly dependent on the quality of the speakers what you'd end up with.