PDA

View Full Version : Laughing and pointing

SCMike
06-30-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm used to getting looks and heads turning when I ride my bike. Many people give me thumbs up or roll down their windows and shout "nice bike" about the F6B.
What I'm not used to is people pointing and laughing, but that's the treatment I got Saturday.
My wife recently finished the MSF course, and I wanted to buy her a bike while the training was still fresh. I had wanted to put her on a CTX700 or a Honda Shadow, but when I showed her those bikes, she said they were too big and too heavy. She's very small, 5-2 and about 115. What she really liked was the Yamaha V Star 250. So I figured, get her what she wants and what she is comfortable with so she will ride it. When she gains experience and comfort on the bike, we can always upgrade her to something bigger.
Well, the local shop only had new V Star 250s, and I wanted a used one. I didn't want to spend much on a bike for her until I see that she's really going to ride it enough to justify the expense. The only used bikes I could find were in North Carolina, about 90 miles away. So, Saturday afternoon, we drove the car to the dealership there, she picked the one she liked. I test rode it, and bought it.
The problem is that she only has her learner's permit, not her license. So she couldn't ride the bike in North Carolina, and she's not comfortable riding in traffic yet. So I had to ride the bike home. While my wife is diminutive, I am not. I'm 6-2, 300+ pounds. The V Star 250 is not made for riders of my dimensions. I looked ridiculous riding all the way home on this bike. But I entertained everyone on the road. They laughed. They smiled. They pointed and giggled. I decided to just flow with it, so whenever anyone pointed at me, I gave them a twin beep-beep on the little bike's horn. Physically, it was a very different experience from riding the F6B, tremendously uncomfortable. The bike fits her. It doesn't fit me. But socially, it was also a very different experience.

Phantom
06-30-2014, 08:36 PM
:icon_lol:

SCMike
06-30-2014, 08:51 PM
:icon_lol:

Geez! It wasn't that bad!

rumble-b
06-30-2014, 09:03 PM
I know how it feels. I'm 6'4" 330 and get the same if i ever ride my wifes Sportser. ( NOT OFTEN) To make matters worse, she has Kimba the White Lion on the side of it too....VERY embbarassing LOL :icon_redface:

BIGLRY
06-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Yea, I get the same kind of looks when I take my yacht out for a cruze
6532:poke:

XKnight
06-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Video of you riding is already up on Youtube.

http://youtu.be/bzpPZYXFt4M

jkelley
07-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Wow, been there done that. after many bikes From Honda Shadows all the way to Harley soft tails, and one switch back finally found the bike for her. My wife bought a CTX-700 and let me tell you it is light, nimble and I like to ride the darn thing. For a small engine that thing rocks. The big plus is she has had two tanks over 80 MPG. If far outperforms the Shadow. The only real draw back is the chain drive but that was not a deal breaker for me either. They even have one that has the DCT transmission and from what I hear is going over very well with a lot of people that are either fairly inexperienced, or just don't like to shift. If she has passed the MSF getting her license is easy. Best of luck and I hope you can avoid the expensive route I followed.

MSGT-R
07-01-2014, 09:14 AM
When I used to teach the MSF courses on the Seabee base @ Port Hueneme, we had a Senior Chief take the course on an over-engined Honda Minitrail-90 (now a 125). He needed a Fez and a Shriner's vest. :icon_mrgreen: He didn't mind at all, he just rolled with it and beeped often. He had the time of his life with that little bike!

Phantom
07-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Geez! It wasn't that bad!

:poke: just having a little fun 'partysmile'

I USED to be in the same boat .... :shhh:

Scotrod
07-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Rode a 250?

SCMike
07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Wow, been there done that. after many bikes From Honda Shadows all the way to Harley soft tails, and one switch back finally found the bike for her. My wife bought a CTX-700 and let me tell you it is light, nimble and I like to ride the darn thing. For a small engine that thing rocks. The big plus is she has had two tanks over 80 MPG. If far outperforms the Shadow. The only real draw back is the chain drive but that was not a deal breaker for me either. They even have one that has the DCT transmission and from what I hear is going over very well with a lot of people that are either fairly inexperienced, or just don't like to shift. If she has passed the MSF getting her license is easy. Best of luck and I hope you can avoid the expensive route I followed.

I had her try on the CTX700. The problem was the controls. They are very far forward on that bike, and she couldn't reach them well.

SCMike
07-01-2014, 10:17 AM

Just having fun as well. No problem! :icon_biggrin:

SmallPasture
07-01-2014, 10:46 AM
When I ask the lovely Mrs. SmallPasture to meet me at the bike shop so I can drop off the "6" she shows up on her Can Am Spyder RS and I have to ride 30 miles on the back. Now that's love right there!! NOT!!! :022:

edgeman55
07-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Yea, I get the same kind of looks when I take my yacht out for a cruze
6532:poke:

I'm 6'5" and around 385.Maybe we could take your boat out and fish together:yes:

rumble-b
07-01-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm 6'5" and around 385.Maybe we could take your boat out and fish together:yes:
:lolup:

Scotrod
07-01-2014, 08:03 PM
When I ask the lovely Mrs. SmallPasture to meet me at the bike shop so I can drop off the "6" she shows up on her Can Am Spyder RS and I have to ride 30 miles on the back. Now that's love right there!! NOT!!! :022:

Sounds like she's got ya right where she wants ya!!! :079:

:icon_laugh:

BubbaJePH
07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
I started out on a CB 250 Nighthawk I found at a Virginia Beach City auction. They used this bike for writing tickets on the boardwalk. It was in good shape. I had never ridden street bikes. I was at the time 340 + pounds 6' 2". I would ride the bike to work and the gate guards at the base got a real kick out of seeing me on that little bike. I rode that bike a total of 6,000 miles in four months, through the winter, all over the peninsula in Virginia. I called it a Piglet. It was too small to be a hog. I mounded two 50 caliber ammo cans painted nicely to carry stuff in. I drove that bike over the James River Bridge through Newport News. That steel lift grate causes all bike to wiggle about some. On that little bike, I had a firm grasp of the seat with my butt cheeks wrapped around that little seat. I moved from it to a 1300R VTX and lost 100 pounds. Much more comfortable now. One day an F6B.

RoadWeary
07-01-2014, 09:38 PM
I can feel your pain. Bought a used Rebel 250 for my daughter and at 5'11" the bike was full. My knees would hit the handlebars if I turned too hard. I liked to beep and wave at Harley's. I would get a wave and a double take. Flat out would take me to about 60 miles per hour.