View Full Version : Advice on seat cover

Talldude
07-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Hello gang,

So I don't like the idea of getting a new seat because:

1. I don't know if I will like it
2. Changes the lines of the bike
3. Price is very high

So I was thinking of getting a seat cover because in my last 300 mile ride, my arsy was stiff as a brick and it was painful.. I saw the air hawk at wingstuff which has good reviews and costs $169.

Has anybody used a seat cover, and if so which one as can you tell me your opinion?

Thanks

TD

F6B1911
07-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Howdy Talldude,
I came off of a BMW bike, the seat was like sitting on a board.
Never saw an aftermarket seat that looked "right," and I hate spending money on something I can't test first.
I was on a trip way up north in Canada stopped in at an Indian reservation and picked up a tanned sheepskin.
It was too big for the BMW seat, so I had it cut and dyed black.
It was exactly what I needed, a bit of cushion with the added benefit of breathability.
And, it addressed the 3 issues you were concerned about:
1) If you don't like it, take it off and shove it in the saddle bag
2) nothing is changed regarding the lines of the bike.
3) Can't complain about the price, I only paid $25.00.
So I had the left over piece cut to fit the new F6B, a big improvement.
Makes those long distance trips comfortable.
Anyway, there's one option for you.

Steve 0080
07-03-2014, 10:17 PM
On most of my bikes I have added a gel pad inside the seat...I always used very high quality gel pads and the cost was usually around $100. I was going to do that to the stock seat, and did in fact start the process ...then saw the Mustang seat and was sold!!!! Try the gel pad, cut the back square and to save money have a different type of fabric put where the seat part is....$150 at the most???

Philbert40
07-04-2014, 10:53 AM
At the price of the air hawk....you are half way to a Rick Mayer custom seat. Give in, it soooo worth it!

BACA
07-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Hello gang,

3. Price is very high

So I was thinking of getting a seat cover because in my last 300 mile ride, my arsy was stiff as a brick and it was painful.. I saw the air hawk at wingstuff which has good reviews and costs $169.

Has anybody used a seat cover, and if so which one as can you tell me your opinion?

Thanks

TD

I felt the same way so I had Rich customize my seat for me.........he's up in Kingston........I've never been happier with a seat.

Steve 0080
07-04-2014, 12:36 PM
At the price of the air hawk....you are half way to a Rick Mayer custom seat. Give in, it soooo worth it!

Say What????????????? Air Hawk is $125 depending on the size and a new seat is how much???????

bobbyf6b
07-04-2014, 12:46 PM
I highly recommend

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-Sheepskin-Buttpads/Categories

I had some on my last HD and they were so comfortable and kept my hind end from sweating. I keep meaning to order a new one for the 6.

ReserveBum
07-05-2014, 08:37 AM
I highly recommend

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-Sheepskin-Buttpads/Categories

I had some on my last HD and they were so comfortable and kept my hind end from sweating. I keep meaning to order a new one for the 6.

+1 on the alaska leather. Had a white one on my Kawi and loved it....i need a new black one for the 6

darcym
07-05-2014, 03:22 PM
+1 on the alaska leather. Had a white one on my Kawi and loved it....i need a new black one for the 6

I've been happy with alaska sheepskin covers on multiple bikes.

naga viper
07-06-2014, 03:53 AM
+1 alaskan leather sheepskin seat covers one for me and so. Little more padding less sweating. Tried the beads rolled around with sheepskin is just right. Price good also $150. Front and rear.

Plan B
07-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Hallo,

ich habe beim Polsterer die Sitzbank abändern lassen (kein Gel)
Hier das Ergebnis...

Gruß Oliver

Scotrod
07-08-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm soooooooooooooooo glad I have no idea what a 'sweaty butt' is!!! :moon:

I reckon if I had one, I'd know it, eh!!??!!?? :shrug:

Scotrod
07-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Hello gang,

3. Price is very high

Thanks

TD

IMHO, a cover isn't going to be a miracle fix,,, They may enable you to go a bit further, but you'll still perched on the same seat in the same general area,,,

Custom made seat, made just for you that puts you where you want to be is the best answer for comfort. But, if 'purdy' is more important than comfort, or a repeated painful azz is more pleasant than investing in a seat,,, eh, well,,, Probably best to limit yourself to short rides,,, :shrug:
(I have an Airhawk from the last bike,,, meh,,, would not buy another as it's only a 'band-aid',,, certainly not a cure)

ghost
07-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Sieht gut aus! Hat schauen, wie es ist Gel gefüllt. Ein weiteres nettes Verbesserung der Standardsitz.

Phantom
07-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Sieht gut aus! Hat schauen, wie es ist Gel gefüllt. Ein weiteres nettes Verbesserung der Standardsitz.:what:

'readinstructions'

I no speaky Deutsch

badpapi
07-08-2014, 09:34 PM
:what:

'readinstructions'

I no speaky Deutsch

he says the black f6 is the faster of all colors.:spank:

bobbyf6b
07-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Sieht gut aus! Hat schauen, wie es ist Gel gefüllt. Ein weiteres nettes Verbesserung der Standardsitz.

It looks good! Does look like it is gel filled. Another nice improvement of the standard seat.

-Google Translate

bobbyf6b
07-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Hallo,

ich habe beim Polsterer die Sitzbank abändern lassen (kein Gel)
Hier das Ergebnis...

Gruß Oliver

Hi there, I did change the seat when upholsterer can (no gel) Here are the results ... Greetings Oliver

CheesyRider
07-08-2014, 11:49 PM
When I had my Bandit 1250, I had the Spencer seat mod done. The seat still looked exactly like stock, but was much more comfortable.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Navvet
07-09-2014, 08:11 AM
I have always used an Air Hawk for longer rides. My wife won't get on her Shadow without it. .batman-smilie.

Talldude
07-16-2014, 12:23 PM
I felt the same way so I had Rich customize my seat for me.........he's up in Kingston........I've never been happier with a seat.

Do you have contact details for Rich?