PDA

View Full Version : New windshield arriving today

six2go
07-08-2014, 10:39 AM
A few weeks ago I posted that I had purchased and installed a Cee Baileys 11" windshield and that it was almost perfect. The key word here is "almost". I found that if I "scrunched " down a bit, the remaining wind noise went away completely. After reading the info on Clear View's site, I decided to give them a shot and ordered up their small 14" shield. If you use Clear View's method of measuring the height, the Cee Bailey 11" is actually 13" high. That makes the Clear View 1" taller, closer to the rider, and with the recurve at the top edge that is supposed to give the same results as 2 more inches. So, in theory I should be gaining 3" of wind deflection. Also, since it has mounting "slots" instead of holes, I will have another 3/4" of adjustment. The bike is sitting in the garage awaiting the transplant. The big brown truck should be here around 2:30PM.:clap2:

BBB
07-08-2014, 10:53 AM
I, too, ordered one from clearview a week ago.
They told me about 3 weeks wait. :(
How long did yours take?

I have ghetto rigged a taller shield (old Harley shield is
"Duct taped" to the stock F6B shield for now.
Lol.

Let us know how the new shield works for you.

shooter
07-08-2014, 11:27 AM
That ghetto rigging will get you in trouble BBB. Is that 200 mph tape? You gotta use the good stuff man!!

six2go
07-08-2014, 03:28 PM
How long did yours take?

Lol.

I think it was June 18th that I ordered. It arrived about an hour and a half ago. I have it installed but no ride report. I'll try to do that tomorrow. I got the small in dark grey tint. It looks super on my black f6. Installation went well, I didn't drop any grommets down into the fairing this time.:icon_lol:

F6B1911
07-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Yeah! ... Then we will all be dying to see the pics.
Hopefully one from the side to see the recurve, then one from the front so we can see the height and width.
I spent a fortune on windshields and still AIN'T happy!!

SmallPasture
07-08-2014, 05:11 PM
A few weeks ago I posted that I had purchased and installed a Cee Baileys 11" windshield and that it was almost perfect. The key word here is "almost". I found that if I "scrunched " down a bit, the remaining wind noise went away completely.

So, judging by your cracker jack research the Cee Bailey 11" is still 1" shorter than the Small (14) Clear View, no?

The top of the Baggershield is right in my eye-line and won't work. On the KW Flare (14) I'm looking right thru the flare thus I'm riding thru the fun house. It's fun sitting still, not so much at speed.

My head is spinning and my wallet is developing a binge spending disorder! :suicide2:

six2go
07-08-2014, 06:07 PM
So, judging by your cracker jack research the Cee Bailey 11" is still 1" shorter than the Small (14) Clear View, no?

The top of the Baggershield is right in my eye-line and won't work. On the KW Flare (14) I'm looking right thru the flare thus I'm riding thru the fun house. It's fun sitting still, not so much at speed.

My head is spinning and my wallet is developing a binge spending disorder! :suicide2:
Cracker jack research? Not sure if you're "slammin" me but this is what I found.
Cee Baileys and Clearview use different ways to measure their shields. I think the Clearview method is more accurate. So, using that method the 11" Cee Baileys is actually 13". This makes the small Clearview 1" higher at it's lowest setting. You can use the adjustment slots to gain another 3/4". The recurve at the top is supposed to add another 2" to the lift of the airflow.
I'm 5'8" and can easily see over the top of both of them.

richw56
07-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Hey, six2go -

I haven't started a windshield collection yet, and hope to avoid it.
I don't mind the stock shield too much (have been wearing full face for many years, and never had a windshield), but am considering trying a taller shield on the F6B.
I'm 5'8", so I'm looking forward to your post-ride feedback on the Clearview.
It might give me a shot at being able to buy just one taller-than-stock shield, and be satisfied with it.
Maybe. :icon_wink:

- Rich W.

bobbyf6b
07-08-2014, 09:45 PM
How long did yours take?

Lol.

I have a shield you can borrow if you want until you get your new shield. I'd hate to hear about a biker who decapitated himself with a ghetto rigged windshield.

richw56
07-08-2014, 11:58 PM
I have a shield you can borrow if you want until you get your new shield. I'd hate to hear about a biker who decapitated himself with a ghetto rigged windshield.

Hey, bobbyf6b -

Nice idea about lending BBB a windshield.
And the comment about decapitation literally had me laughing out loud.

- Rich

smokinjoe187
07-09-2014, 12:58 AM
i got a call last week the first production windvest screens are on there way!!
im getting a 14 inch screen in light grey
pictures to follow after arrival!
always loved this product,got a good feeling

SmallPasture
07-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Cracker jack research? Not sure if you're "slammin" me but this is what I found.
Cee Baileys and Clearview use different ways to measure their shields. I think the Clearview method is more accurate. So, using that method the 11" Cee Baileys is actually 13". This makes the small Clearview 1" higher at it's lowest setting. You can use the adjustment slots to gain another 3/4". The recurve at the top is supposed to add another 2" to the lift of the airflow.
I'm 5'8" and can easily see over the top of both of them.

Apologize six!:shock: I can see how you would take it that way. Not my intention at all!

Thanks for the help! I'm calling Clear View today.

Darren
07-09-2014, 07:28 AM
My KW arrives today too

bobbyf6b
07-09-2014, 08:16 AM
My KW arrives today too

I got to ride a bike with a KW shield last week and I have to say I was impressed, BUT, it was modified to sit one inch taller.

SmallPasture
07-09-2014, 08:54 AM
My KW arrives today too

Wahooo! :banana: Gotta see pics when ya get it on! I'm jealous! :icon_mrgreen:

six2go
07-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Hey, six2go -

I haven't started a windshield collection yet, and hope to avoid it.
I don't mind the stock shield too much (have been wearing full face for many years, and never had a windshield), but am considering trying a taller shield on the F6B.
I'm 5'8", so I'm looking forward to your post-ride feedback on the Clearview.
It might give me a shot at being able to buy just one taller-than-stock shield, and be satisfied with it.
Maybe. :icon_wink:

- Rich W.
I got to ride about 150 miles with the new Clearview today. It did everything I had hoped for. Compared to the Cee Bailey(which is excellent in its own right)it gives more protection because it is wider towards the top, plus it's 1" taller and the recurve deflects the airflow higher yet. I can also hear the radio at a lower volume than before. I think I am going to be able to ride with my open face helmet and sunglasses if I want to because when I got home I had a million bugs on the new windshield but none on the face shield of my modular helmet.
This is a comparison of a Clear View "small sport" with no vent, mounted in its lowest position against a Cee Baileys 11". Both are dark tint and look good on the black F6. I will be keeping the CB just in case the CV would get damaged. I would still have a very serviceable windshield.
I hope this helps anyone with a decision to make on windshields. For the record, I'm about 5'8" and broad shouldered. I don't think anyone of similar height could go wrong with either of these. I just like the CV better(for me).
If you need to see pics of these, just go to their websites. I am the last person in the world without a digital camera so I can't post pics.

six2go
07-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Apologize six!:shock: I can see how you would take it that way. Not my intention at all!

Thanks for the help! I'm calling Clear View today.
No apology needed SmallPasture, I just wasn't familiar with that terminology. Must be a Texas "thang",eh?

gray rider
07-10-2014, 08:53 PM
I ordered a Clearview short sport recurve with light grey tint on 6/9. It arrived 7/9 and I mounted it immediately. I've been riding since the mid 1960's and of the 50+ bikes I've owned exactly zero have had anything that could be construed as a windshield. The closest would be my BMW R90S and the Hyabusas I've owned. Then along came the F6B. The stock shield seemed perfectly adequate but the vent in the top of my full face helmet was inhaling large amounts of bug smutz which was getting inside the helmet and into my hair which is not good when stopping for coffee in public. The Cleaview shield is reasonably priced so I decided to give it a shot. It is hard for me to over emphasize what an improvement the Clearview provides. The wind noise is reduced by an estimated 80% and the turbulence by an equal amount even in cross winds. I'm 5' 10" with a 30" inseam but I sit low in the saddle (slouch). With the short shield in the full down position I'm looking through the top 2.5" of the shield which works fine and I find is not distracting. The shield measures an exact 14" as measured per instructions on the Clearview web site. I would recommend this as a well made reasonably priced shield that functions as advertised. p.s. The shield was very well packed and even though UPS did their best to destroy the box the shield inside was in perfect condition.

SmallPasture
07-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Must be a Texas "thang",eh?

Yeah, I guess it is...it was a Grandpa saying and he was about as Texas as ya get!:2gwb921:

SmallPasture
07-11-2014, 07:51 AM
I've been riding since the mid 1960's and of the 50+ bikes I've owned exactly zero have had anything that could be construed as a windshield. I'm 5' 10" with a 30" inseam but I sit low in the saddle (slouch). With the short shield in the full down position I'm looking through the top 2.5" of the shield which works fine and I find is not distracting.

I would have thought after 50+ years of riding without a windshield, looking thru one would drive you crazy. Very interesting.

Glad ya like it Gray....Bug juice in the hair sucks!

Kfad
07-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Klock Werks Flare