PDA

View Full Version : High Intensity Discharge Lighting /F6B

F6BLK
07-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I know This should be under accessories! Just placed an order for the HID Kit..AlsoLED Brake/Running lights at SoCalMotoGear Has anyone Tried these?? I see there ad all the time!!Banner.

http://www.socalmotogear.com/default.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmqB8ZDSZC8

Elroy
07-08-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm also interested in these. Just wondering if there's maybe a cheaper option that's as good.

F6BLK
07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm also interested in these. Just wondering if there's maybe a cheaper option that's as good.

I've gone the Cheap Route Ebay and such ...Seems to never work out for me! I suppose you could... But it looks like they have everything and support it!

CheckpointChcky
07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
I just had my dealership add these low beam HID bulbs.

Fla_rider
07-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Did you Hi/Lo combo Kit?

Hornblower
07-08-2014, 03:41 PM
I know This should be under accessories! Just placed an order for the HID Kit..AlsoLED Brake/Running lights at SoCalMotoGear Has anyone Tried these?? I see there ad all the time!!Banner.

Not sure if you're asking if anyone has installed the SoCalMoto HID kit or the LED brake/running lights? I and several others have done the HID's, mainly on lo-beam. BTW, be sure you add the lo-beam cutout harness if you go HID. I also added the LED hi-beams from them but not as satisfied with that...good color match but doesn't project down-the-road. I also added the LED front turns that switch from white to yellow. That is pretty cool. Generally, I like all their stuff and don't try to skimp on cheaper, unknown brands.

F6BPDX
07-08-2014, 04:10 PM
I have the HID lo beams from them and like them a lot. They are very bright, so make sure you adjust your headlights once you get them installed to be sure you aren't blinding people. I found out after my first night with them that I had a right hand headlight that was pointing to the friggin sky almost.

F6BLK
07-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Not sure if you're asking if anyone has installed the SoCalMoto HID kit or the LED brake/running lights? I and several others have done the HID's, mainly on lo-beam. BTW, be sure you add the lo-beam cutout harness if you go HID.

all or both!yes cutout switch ordered also! I want the brake light that looks like it's on brake all the time super bright...but I don't wanna fiddle around with an aftermarket bolt-on unit like back off!

F6B-RICH
07-08-2014, 07:51 PM
I did the SoCal HID kit lo-beam over the Winter.I just got a different k bulb because I wanted a more blue light look then a white light .batman-smilie.

Capt.Ian
07-08-2014, 08:16 PM
I installed 8k hid for my low beams with the projector housing and 10K hid on my high beams.

srt8-in-largo
07-08-2014, 08:32 PM
The OEM lo-beams are on the weak side and could definitely use an HID replacement.

The OEM hi-beams are already FANTASTIC imo though.

yellow rex
07-08-2014, 10:55 PM
I have order from DDM tuning 3 times never a problem with the lights
52000 miles on one bike,15000 on another, 42000 on another
all 1800 Gold Wings never a problem had the cut out relay on
the 09 non of the others life time warranty also.

F6B-RICH
07-08-2014, 11:46 PM
I went with a cheaper HID kit and yes it was plug n play and worked great.....................until I turned the radio on and got nothing but static.I purchased the SoCal kit and no problems.So yes you can save money on other cheaper kits as long as it works and does not have the problem I had .batman-smilie.

GiddyupF6B
07-09-2014, 06:03 AM
I used the Sportiva Hids. $60 for a pair. I've had them on 3 bikes now and they are good quality. I saw the kits for the Goldwing at around $200 and just have to wonder why....:icon_doh:

Hornblower
07-09-2014, 07:37 AM
I installed 8k hid for my low beams with the projector housing and 10K hid on my high beams.

Apparently, you like your headlights blue. At these high Kelvin ratings, you're well into the blue spectrum. To each his own I guess but many find this color annoying. In addition, high K lights (>5k) are very bright to look at but do NOT project down-the-road as well as lower K lights, say, around the 4k range.

F6BLK
07-09-2014, 02:22 PM
@Hornblower
these appear to be 6K..looks more like a diamond white! Install looks pretty straight forward with video YouTube!looks like a couple hour job if you did it yourself?funny thing is my stock headlights are so pale yellow compared to my Hondaline LED fog lights!I notice a lot of riders out there are going to a brighter whiter headlight light! anything to make yo u more conspicuous Could save your life!

F6B-RICH
07-09-2014, 03:01 PM
@Hornblower
these appear to be 6K..looks more like a diamond white! Install looks pretty straight forward with video YouTube!looks like a couple hour job if you did it yourself?funny thing is my stock headlights are so pale yellow compared to my Hondaline LED fog lights!I notice a lot of riders out there are going to a brighter whiter headlight light! anything to make yo u more conspicuous Could save your life!

The Youtube video helps but not really.Trying to find a place for all the wires and making it neat is the fun part.I ordered longer wires so I have all my ballasts and wires under the left and right cubby/shelter boxes which made it a very simple job .batman-smilie.

F6BPDX
07-09-2014, 03:01 PM
@Hornblower

It's easier than you think, took me probably 45 minutes start to finish (doing just low beams). Most time consuming part is figuring out where to put the ballasts.

srt8-in-largo
07-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Apparently, you like your headlights blue. At these high Kelvin ratings, you're well into the blue spectrum. To each his own I guess but many find this color annoying. In addition, high K lights (>5k) are very bright to look at but do NOT project down-the-road as well as lower K lights, say, around the 4k range.

^^^ This. 4,000 Kelvin is where you'll have maximum light output.

yellow rex
07-09-2014, 10:41 PM
I mount the ballast behind the instrument cluster between the
speaker box no heat and a dry place heat is the #1 enemy to electronics
but there has been plenty mounted below cubby holes with no problems.

F6BLK
07-12-2014, 10:49 AM
The Youtube video helps but not really.Trying to find a place for all the wires and making it neat is the fun part.I ordered longer wires so I have all my ballasts and wires under the left and right cubby/shelter boxes which made it a very simple job .batman-smilie.

thanks for the advice! I will use the video as a guideline only?looks like he has some good tricks and ideas I could come up with some of my own! if you can change a lightbulb I think just about anybody could do it! like you say the biggest part is finding a place for the ballast everything else is just the matter of plugging in wires connectors!

Steve 0080
07-12-2014, 04:18 PM
No big job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have my ballasts uder the section of the faring that has two screws in the front.....

F6BLK
07-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Finally got around to install!
the company SoCalMotogear top notch! Shipped to my door in 2 days yes 2 days! As far as a product goes was all package for the Honda Goldwing/F6B simple instructions took me less than an hour start to finish! watched video knew what I was in for! I think much increased daytime visibility also...See me bright diamond white color! also installed LEDrunning / brake light!
nice upgrade!