PDA

View Full Version : Windshields

SPGrenier
07-09-2014, 09:37 AM
I just took delivery of my F6B. There are many threads on many various accessories. So much info to try and get through for a late comer. I've ordered the Ultimate King 3 piece set-up for my standard because I need the passenger backrest.

Now, I want a taller windshield as many do. From what I've read, every brand of windshield has it's following. I could go from one to another brand and probably be as happy as it's supporters.

Never having had a windshield before, my first concern is how tall should it be. Once I know that, I can better shop for a specific brand.

So, I'm gonna start here: http://www.customcruisers.com/Custom2005/customshop2005/contents/en-uk/d2073.html

To help others in their decision making, it would be cool if owners posted pics of themselves (side and front profile), upright on their bikes and behind their preferred glass. You could list windshield brand and size and then add a note to the rider's height.

For now, I'm still shopping.

SmallPasture
07-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Congrats on your new F6 SPGrenier!!

Good luck and welcome to the fold!.welcome20.

I'm in windshield phase as well!

Ray H
07-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Congratulations! Now dust off that credit card.

SPGrenier
07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys. I luv the bike and get plenty of attention.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with on a windshield. The tall Honda would appear to be ok, but I have to confirm it's height. The product description says that it has a vent cutout which suggests that there's no vent attached. Then I didn't see a vent assembly on that online Honda site.

SPGrenier
07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
For anyone that has a windshield vent: Is it really of any value? Does it help with enough airflow to make it useful?

IBREWBEER
07-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Good luck with the windshield. Ill be on my third one soon!.. Cant decide which is best. And yes get your credit card ready!

SmallPasture
07-09-2014, 10:52 AM
For anyone that has a windshield vent: Is it really of any value? Does it help with enough airflow to make it useful?

I used to often on both of my full Wings. Of course we are talking South Central Texas too.

Scotrod
07-09-2014, 10:59 AM
To help others in their decision making, it would be cool if owners posted pics of themselves (side and front profile), upright on their bikes and behind their preferred glass. You could list windshield brand and size and then add a note to the rider's height.

For now, I'm still shopping.

Your request is quite valid, and I see how it could be beneficial to others, yet Torso length and seat height will skew the results,,,

Might be better to compile a list of dimensions from top edge of shield to a fixed point on the bike, such as the ignition key or glove box lid. In theory, a person can then sit on their own seat, run a tape upwards from the reference point and see how a particular shield lines up with their line of sight.

But wait,, There's more!! LOL!!!!

'Flipper'/ re-curve shields, WindBenders, and Madstads all manage airflow a bit different than a conventional shield, so there's more to it than just 'height relative to line of sight'.

WindBenders and Madstads have significant ranges of adjustment as well.If I was to tweak my 'Stad from one extreme to the other, I can probably change the elevation of the top edge by a good 6-8 inches, maybe more,,,

:yes:

darcym
07-09-2014, 11:49 AM

I have a windshield vent on both of my big scooters, which have tall windshields, and they work really great. On one of the bikes particularly, I would feel a pronounced back pressure, as the wind over the top of the windshield would go over my head but come around and pummel me in the back. Probably didn't do much for the gas mileage either with that kind of turbulence. I was really surprised at how noticeable it was. After I installed the vents, the turbulence went away completely. Night and day. I used vetter vents on one bike, and the other windshield is a tall Clearview and has a vent installed If you're going with a tall windshield, it's highly recommended.

Of course, it doesn't rain much here so I can't comment on how they work in the rain. The one disadvantage with a tall windshield is that you have to look through it in the rain, so you need something to help sheet the rain off of the screen or risk the obscured frontal view. If you're looking over the windshield you at least have the option of wiping the rain off of your faceshield on your helmet as you go.

Steve 0080
07-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Would not own a shield w/o the vent...

as far as height...sit on your bike and have someone put a ruler on the dash and see what measurement you desire, see thru, see over or see way over and then go from there... you could do this with cardboard as well ???

I,me...do not like looking thru a shield ...there is no positive effect.

F6BLK
07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Go with Clearview Everything is right here! I think it's the right shield for this bike.If you have questions they are more than happy to help! Call them! First thing I ordered!!!!

http://www.clearviewshields.com/blog/new-f6b-sport-sport-touring-windshields/

hiflyer
07-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I have both the Madstad and the Clearview. The Madstad is an 11" and the Clearview is the small sport tour. The MS is quieter, the CV looks best, if I had ordered the medium height CV I think it would be as quiet as the MS. The vent on CV works great.

SPGrenier
07-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely take a look at the shields mentioned. Been to most of the sites already. I'd like to get this off my checklist ASAP.

opas ride
07-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Your choice and your money...but I have been riding with the adjustable Baggershield and it does the trick for me...No wind noise, no buffeting, and radio volume is fine for my rides.....Good Luck on your choice.....

XKnight
07-09-2014, 06:13 PM
I've had the 19" Splitstreamer w/vent for a a couple weeks now and put about 800 miles on it this past weekend. It works great for me and was very easy to install. Everything lines up perfectly. I think I read on another forum that Slipstreamer use to make the OEM Honda Goldwing shields at one time.

I have it set up to look through it. I find that provides the most coverage from wind noise and buffeting. You can actually adjust the Slipstreamer when you install it up or down about an inch since it has slots for the bolts instead of just holes. The middle position is 19" measured from the bottom of where the shield meets the fairing. I have mine set at 20". If I had it set at 18" I could easily look over it so you do have some flexibility when you install it. It's also a couple inches wider than the OEM tall Honda shield. I paid around $130 new and so far it's the best money I've spent for the bike.

Lost of great choices out there. It just depends on what look you want and if you want to look through or over the shield. Like anything else, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

smokinjoe187
07-09-2014, 06:38 PM
i use a tall honda goldwind shield redrilled to fit the f6b
its cheap
i can replace it anywhere and yes i use the vent all the time

Darren
07-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Just fitted the KW, will post pics after I wash the bike this weekend

SPGrenier
07-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Thanks everyone!

SmallPasture
07-10-2014, 07:14 AM
Just fitted the KW, will post pics after I wash the bike this weekend

What??? You let it get dirty?:yikes: :icon_razz:

Darren
07-10-2014, 07:18 AM
What??? You let it get dirty?:yikes: :icon_razz:

I must confess, I ride everyday the seasons here in Canada will allow, the bike gets very dirty and seems to be a great bug killer. I admire all the people who keep their bikes shiny and their chrome polished and I promise myself I will try harder with this bike, but the truth is, I'd rather ride than clean.

SmallPasture
07-10-2014, 07:27 AM
I hear ya Darren! I'm 60 miles one way to work which 40 of that is all bug juicy country roads. At least now you don't have to worry about them hitting your face/helmet! :banana:

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Darren
07-10-2014, 07:31 AM
I hear ya Darren! I'm 60 miles one way to work which 40 of that is all bug juicy country roads. At least now you don't have to worry about them hitting your face/helmet! :banana:

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

The screen performed well this am pushed the air higher and took care of the bugs. Even had to turn the stereo down a couple of notches

SmallPasture
07-10-2014, 11:57 AM
but the truth is, I'd rather ride than clean. no argument here!

I'm 40 miles one way to work and 25 of that is back country road where the big juicy bugs live. I try to clean her up good every weekend but beer gets in the way!:drunk:

SPGrenier
07-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger on a Clearview Shield. I went with the Medium, Lt Gray, with a vented Sport Touring for my black F6B. It'll be about 3 to 4 weeks out. I'll post pics when I get it on.

For me, I liked the more subtle recurve of the Clearview over the KW. Hope it was the right move. I'll keep ya posted.

.......................onto the next mod! Foot pegs.