PDA

View Full Version : New Member here. Lotsa Questions.

Smoothcruz
07-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi. I'm anew F6B6 owner, but not a new rider. As I rode this great country on a Honda Shadow 1100 A.C.E Tourer I told my Goldwing riding buddies that if Honda ever stripped a Goldwing, I would buy it. They did so I did. I just brought the F6B home this past Tuesday. It's a 2013 Deluxe. It's rained every day since. I just donned my Frogg Toggs and rode on!

The P.O opted for the taller w.shield. I enjoyed that in the rain but would opt for the shorter stock shield for hot summer days. My girlfriend is disappointed in the backrest. She said it's too low. I saw a fellow here had some longer brackets. I'm going to hunt him down. The key-for-everything sucks, especially because I only got one key w/ the bike. The keyed glove box is annoying but the fact that you can't remove the saddlebag keys after unlocking saddlebags is very frustrating! These are just small quirks that I know you guys can help me with.

I have a hankering for a hard case mounted on the back rack, but not with a recliner like the Goldwing, something more stealth to fit the lines of the bike. I am a Florida rider so more air vents in the fairing would be nice. I've never ridden w/ a full fairing. so far,it's too hot. I liked my knees in the breeze. If Honda built another Valkyrie Tourer with w.shield, roomy top-opening bags and this fuel-injected 1800 engine, I'd trade my F6B tomorrow !

This leads me to another question. How much of this body stuff can be removed on the F6B? Does anyone remember the "Black Princess" Goldwing? They removed the front cowl. How about the bottom cowls, some of the side panels,etc.? Can I remove those w/o any effect on engine heating or protection? I mean, the Valkyrie did just fine w/o them.

My first tank has 168 miles on it w/ less than 1/4 tank left. How many m.p.g's are you all averaging?

I know I'm focusing on some little quirks here. These are just things I want answers to. All in all, this in one fine bike with awesome power and smoothness. I think e are going to enjoy a long ride together. I just need to make it my own.

As for me, I'm a 54-year old that has ridden most of my life. I reside in North Florida. I enjoy group rides with good people, good scenery, good food and not TOO MUCH drinking. I hope to hear from you all and ride with you as well.

timjoebob
07-12-2014, 04:32 PM
I have for my bike two shields... err, three shields: I bought a regular Goldwing shield with a vent in the front that gives me the protection and ventilation I want. Now in a box, I have a Baggershield 11"/19". It will give the 19" protection in 60" seconds if you desire, or you can ride with the shorter version in hot weather (10.5 months of the year in FL). Go to their website. They have a video to illustrate.

I have a Corbin passenger backrest which can be purchased ($175?) as an alternative. It may be five to six inches taller than the regular stock passenger backrest.

I have no comment on the hardcase other than it sounds like a regular Wing to me. You can probably mount a Givi case to an aftermarket rack.

I imagine you can remove as much of the fairing as you desire to a point. I would say it would detract from the overall styling of the F6B however.

MPG? My experience is 41mpg consistently.

Congrats on your purchase! We need photos!

mikey
07-12-2014, 07:59 PM
You have made a great choice for a bike. I have checked 41- 43 mpg. Just get another key made, put a black knob on it, ( instructions on this forum), I keep it in unlocked position for bags until we feel the need to lock them, it won't come out til you lock &pull it out. There is not a woman on the planet that won't say the backrest is too short. I made my own taller bracket with the same thickness & width steel piece. Taller w/s a must ( or full face helmet) for me, best ride ever, already took several long trips on my 13 black model. Polished with liquid glass, no issues, comfort, speed, nimble, - it's the total package. Congratulations, ride safe!

Steve 0080
07-12-2014, 08:14 PM
'welcome gang' there are many threads that will answer many of your questions.... just go back to day one and read all you can and you will up to speed quickly!!!! We are close by and if I can help let me know......I prefer to ride at night and can meet just about any nite or on Sun...

Fla_rider
07-12-2014, 08:14 PM
'welcome gang' from Sunny South Florida.:th_sunbathe:

Sounds like you should have gotten a Valkyrie. I use a baggershield lower portion most the time. Find it provides just the amount of protection and I can hear the speakers we'll to 80. Lot's of peps with range of mpg's, guess it depends on type of riding and environment. Didn't buy the bike for mpg. Came off a nc700x with+70 miles per gallon.

Labor Day weekend annual Rally lot's of bikers going. Try to make it.

We expect you to post a pic of your new dream machine cuz...:postpics:

Do searches, most your questions have been asked by all of us.:yes:

Sorcerer
07-12-2014, 09:59 PM
check the left fairing pocket and center cubby for the other key. Thats where I discovered mine.

F6B-RICH
07-13-2014, 12:13 AM
'welcome gang' from NJ .batman-smilie.

SmallPasture
07-14-2014, 01:46 PM
'welcome gang' there are many threads that will answer many of your questions.... just go back to day one and read all you can and you will up to speed quickly!!!! We are close by and if I can help let me know......I prefer to ride at night and can meet just about any nite or on Sun...

I would take him up on that Smooth! You're going to be reading a lot of his post here so ya might as well! Steve has forgotten how to do more to this bike that I will figure out the entire time I own it!

Congrats on the delivery of your "6"!!! Now grab a beverage and start reading! "coffee"