PDA

View Full Version : BikeMP3 cargo rack question

Pap
07-12-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm considering this rack,but I'm not clear about the mounting needs.
Can I mount this directly on the rear of the bike or do I need the Honda brackets?
Any benefit to either way if possible?
Thanks!

CheckpointChcky
07-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Extra parts unless you have a deluxe model.

Pap
07-12-2014, 08:42 PM
I have the standard model. What does the deluxe model have that I would need?

Wild Bill
07-12-2014, 09:01 PM
I have the Mp3 rack.It mounts directly to the factory back rest mounts. If you have added the back rest you are good to go. If not you will need the oem back rest mounting brackets......This is a good rack.You will be pleased with it and it appers to be about twice the size of the Honda oem rack for the same price.

Pap
07-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the info.

Marauderm
07-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Like you I was not aware of the brackets. If you look at the description on the bikemp3 website he tells you you will need the bracket kit and even gives the part number for either black or red covers.

I did not read that fine print initially but suspected that I would need at least the covers that have the holes per-drilled. At the dealership these were about $90 for the pair. I now suspect that there is also a bracket that goes under that cover but have no idea how much that would be to purchase. Once I got the part number for the mounting kit from the bikemp3 website, I searched it and found them on amazon.com. It was 90 bucks for the whole kit....

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Mike

Marauderm
07-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Do I have to remove the rear case to do this install or is there some safe way to remove those covers from up above?

CheckpointChcky
07-13-2014, 02:10 PM
My installer did indeed need to remove the top case. It involved removing the rear tail light assembly as well.

F6BPDX
07-13-2014, 11:09 PM
My installer did indeed need to remove the top case. It involved removing the rear tail light assembly as well.

Tail light doesn't need to come out.

Seat off, small panel that sits above the tail light (has the keyhole in it) off, two small bolts behind that cover out, then the top panel pulls off. Two steel brackets bolt to existing holes in 30 seconds (right side shares the antena bolt), then it all goes back in reverse.

While the top cover is off the filler panels need to be switched, one screw under each then just carefully pop/twist out.

Stick
07-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Have the MP3 cargo rack and it installs right on the Deluxe model with the backrest - no problem at all. As one review I read stated, "this rack renders the OEM rack a throw-away." It's bigger, OEM quality, looks awesome, great finish work. Highly recommend!

SPGrenier
07-18-2014, 12:47 PM
I put an order in about 30 minutes ago for the cargo rack. I guess timing is everything. I opened my email and had 2 from them. One to confirm my order and the second that it has been put in the shipping pipeline. NICE!

I did get the stock Honda cargo rack and it has yet to be opened. I will be at the dealer tomorrow and hope to return it in trade for some other parts.

I'm waiting for my Ultimate seat and I'll throw them on at the same time since I have some parts to remove. Can't wait.

SPGrenier
07-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Fortunately, my Honda dealer will take the OEM Honda Cargo rack. Since I'll have both in hand, I'm gonna wait until the MP3 one comes in so that I can take side by side pictures of both so people can have a visual comparison. Hopefully, it'll be hear anytime now.

F6B-RICH
07-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Honda OEM rack is small and can not hold much weight and the price is to high.I got the MP3 rack for $99.99 on sale and is much bigger and holds more weight.To me there is no comparison .batman-smilie.

hossners
07-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Just received mine last Thursday, in time for my weekend trip with the fetching wife. There are four short posts welded to the underside, completely unrelated to the mounting points. The work very well to keep my bungee hooks in place. The weren't in the pictures so I assume they are a recent upgrade to the rack. I like that the product keeps improving! BTW, it completely held my duffel off the paint. Looks great too!
Steve in OR

F6B-RICH
07-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Just received mine last Thursday, in time for my weekend trip with the fetching wife. There are four short posts welded to the underside, completely unrelated to the mounting points. The work very well to keep my bungee hooks in place. The weren't in the pictures so I assume they are a recent upgrade to the rack. I like that the product keeps improving! BTW, it completely held my duffel off the paint. Looks great too!
Steve in OR

:yes: Had my rack since November and mine has the posts also.I assume for bungee hooks like you said .batman-smilie.

Marauderm
07-22-2014, 02:51 AM
Like you I was not aware of the brackets. If you look at the description on the bikemp3 website he tells you you will need the bracket kit and even gives the part number for either black or red covers.

I did not read that fine print initially but suspected that I would need at least the covers that have the holes per-drilled. At the dealership these were about $90 for the pair. I now suspect that there is also a bracket that goes under that cover but have no idea how much that would be to purchase. Once I got the part number for the mounting kit from the bikemp3 website, I searched it and found them on amazon.com. It was 90 bucks for the whole kit....

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Mike

So I installed it today with the special brackets and plastic covers with pre drilled holes and it went perfectly, thanks to you guys on the forum.

One question though, what is the actual load limit. There was a small typed card included with the hardware and it stated 3kg??? That is 6.6 lbs. I was hoping to strap a small suit case to that bad boy....weighs about 20 lbs fully loaded.....any experience?

Mike

SPGrenier
07-26-2014, 07:53 PM
So I installed it today with the special brackets and plastic covers with pre drilled holes and it went perfectly, thanks to you guys on the forum.

One question though, what is the actual load limit. There was a small typed card included with the hardware and it stated 3kg??? That is 6.6 lbs. I was hoping to strap a small suit case to that bad boy....weighs about 20 lbs fully loaded.....any experience?

Mike

The Honda Carrier and BikeMP3 both suggest 6.6 lbs. I would experiment and try to keep the weight of your cargo over the mounting bolt area where all of the strength is. They also recommend, what, like 400lbs of gear, passenger and rider. Who rides double up with a tour pack and chrome goodies and keeps that under 400lbs or so? The book says no trailering, too. I'm sure at some point I will have more than 6.6 lbs on the MP3 rack.

RT59
07-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Right or wrong, I use my MP3 rack with a XL Tourmaster sissy bar bag loaded to 30+ pounds with no noticeable flex or any concern from me. The bag I does have a back rest strap that helps the backrest shoulder some of the load.

-R

F6BPDX
07-28-2014, 12:07 PM
From a "hurting the bike" standpoint, I would imagine you could put 100lbs or more on it without even beginning to think of an issue. The way the hardware is made and where it bolts is certainly nothing flimsy. Only concern would be possibly bending the rack itself, and if it is made of quality metal I can't imagine that happening anywhere near the 7lb mark.

SPGrenier
07-29-2014, 09:42 AM
I think my only observation might be if you had a really heavy load and then hit a frost heave or something that might jolt the rear end upwards giving that rack and weight load a single "punch".

Slingah
08-07-2014, 08:59 PM
These look back ordered on the MP3 site. Does anyone know if they are available anywhere? Looking to get quickly for a trip.
Also looking for weekender bag suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Slingah
08-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Ordered and shipped from mp3!

SPGrenier
08-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Honda OEM rack is small and can not hold much weight and the price is to high.I got the MP3 rack for $99.99 on sale and is much bigger and holds more weight.To me there is no comparison .batman-smilie.

To me there is a comparison. Sorry. I couldn't help taking advantage of the opening you left me. :joke:

The Honda is above the BikeMP3. Yup. You're right................there's is no comparison!

53driver
09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Just ordered this rack. Wish I had gotten it for $99....
Heading to Biketoberfest in Oct. Can't wait to take this girl on a LONG trip.
Cheers,
Steve