PDA

View Full Version : Took the Harley out for spin.....

Steve 0080
07-13-2014, 11:49 AM
I unwrap the ole gurl, disconnected the battery tender, dusted her off a bit and put on the antennas ..... I hit the start button and she started w/o issue and began to jump up and down at high idle, nearly shaking my hands off the bars....I wear a movement wound watch and it was instantly fully wound, my two small milk jugs had their milk throughly mixed and I am sitting there thinking why in the hell did you ever buy this bike ??? My glasses were getting lose and all the while still can't remember why this bike was in my garage when the Black Bitch is sitting next to this one being quite???? Oh well. the bike has not been riden in six months so might as well put a few miles on her and mix the oil up...although I fear this has already been accomplished. So off we go for a 60 mile ride, had brunch at the fancy place in the next town and thru a loop and headed back to the house. All in all I did enjoy riding the bike, the melodic thumping of the big V twin and the gentle gate did make for a nice ride.

Hope everyone one gets in a few miles today!!! 'riding'

mikey
07-13-2014, 12:44 PM
yes, steve I remember the ole road king and all of that. but hey, they do have personality! I'm working today, been riding to work for weeks straight now. the f6 makes these weekends at work more pleasant for sure! ride safe! btw, I finally got around to figuring out how to post pics- being computer semi literate:icon_redface: I was rather proud.

tinkerman
07-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Been wondering that myself....I have a 88 Heritage Classic at home....in great shape....would and have taken it across country any time at the drop of a hat.....but after getting the F6B back on the east coast I wonder what it will be like to take the Heritage for a run after spending the summer essentially on the F6B.

Just got back from a short run here in Ontario on some local biways...passed and was passed by quite a few HD's....when along side off them I can't help but chuckle at all the drama that emanates from them as they get down the road. Not making fun here....I love my old Heritage....and I am a bit of a dinosaur but I am not a branded guy in any way on any product....no such thing as bad beer...some just better than others and the same is true for bikes. But I wonder if the HD back in the shop will be relegated to the back row like the couple of old British bikes I have...their all working but they don't get out much any more.

I am just loving this turbine like smoothness...and it doesn't matter if you are at the speed limit or half that again....no muss, no fuss....not sure about this whole potato, potato thing...gonna be interesting.

tink

GNW
07-13-2014, 05:15 PM
An honest man !
I hear ya !
I have had a lot of motorcycles (different brands) through the years.
Last two before the F6B was an 08 Heritage (good motorcycle and no problems)
Next was a used 2005 Kawasaki 2000LT and I loved it.
Now the F6B and it couldn't get any better !!!
Glad you got the HOG out !!

Scotrod
07-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Few months ago friend and I swapped,,, 2012 Street Glide. Just seemed a little,,,, primitive,,, :shrug:

Fun? Eh, more like a novelty than ~exciting~,,,

We were out in the country,,, 30-50 mph,,, Got tired of shifting real quick,,,

It did sound good @ about 3-4k,,,

XKnight
07-13-2014, 06:16 PM
I still have a Harley in the garage along with the new F6. I've only taken the Harley out once since I got the F6 a few weeks ago and it wasn't as fun as I remember it. I have tinnitus in my left ear and the Harley rumble, while sounding great, gets very annoying and tiring to me after about 30 minutes. Also, I don't enjoy the wind blast in the face like I use too, much prefer the full fairing and tall windshield theses days. Maybe I'm just getting old, but my fun factor has definitely changed and the F6 is a lot more fun for me than the Harley. Thinking I might sell the Harley if I'm not going to ride it anymore.

bobbyf6b
07-13-2014, 06:35 PM
I took my Sporty out for a couple hundred miles yesterday. One of my favorite things about it is my wife will actually ride it with me. She likes a bike to "feel and sound like a motorcycle". She's one of the few women that could care less about comfort and smoothness. Go figure. There's no figuring out women, right?

It's ok, I get to ride the F6 all by myself! :icon_mrgreen:

imported_scottydi
07-13-2014, 08:43 PM
The Harley that I have in the garage is a little different than most...It is an 07 VRSCAW, smooth bike, tons of power, wind in the face...but it rarely gets ridden. Still love the bike every time I get on it, but instinct at this point is to go to the Honda. Had the electra glide before the 6, rode a Road Glide last week while a friend test rode the 6. I still think the big twins sound great, but I dont miss mine.

powercruzer13
07-13-2014, 08:58 PM
I guess I'm just one of those guys who "has to ask".
I've never "gotten" the Harley "mystique", I don't know what the heck HD owners are talking about when they say "heritage", & I guess I'm just not hung up on "tradition" either.
I've always judged a motorcycle on it's own merits, how it fits my riding needs & likes, not what other people think of those things. My judgement has brought me to Honda bikes, specifically the flat 6 powered versions & I could not be happier. I would love to be able to buy what I want from an "American owned" company but the reality is for me there is nothing made by "American owned" motorcycle companies that is good enough. :shrug:
I used to get upset a bit when the inevitable "Jap Junk" comments & snooty attitudes of some HD owners were directed at me & my bikes but now I just feel sorry for those owners. The things some of them are willing to put up with just to own & ride one of those bikes is beyond my understanding. :banghead:

XKnight
07-13-2014, 09:46 PM
I guess I'm just one of those guys who "has to ask".
I've never "gotten" the Harley "mystique", I don't know what the heck HD owners are talking about when they say "heritage", & I guess I'm just not hung up on "tradition" either.
I've always judged a motorcycle on it's own merits, how it fits my riding needs & likes, not what other people think of those things. My judgement has brought me to Honda bikes, specifically the flat 6 powered versions & I could not be happier. I would love to be able to buy what I want from an "American owned" company but the reality is for me there is nothing made by "American owned" motorcycle companies that is good enough. :shrug:
I used to get upset a bit when the inevitable "Jap Junk" comments & snooty attitudes of some HD owners were directed at me & my bikes but now I just feel sorry for those owners. The things some of them are willing to put up with just to own & ride one of those bikes is beyond my understanding. :banghead:

The Heritage is a Harley model in the Softail family. The tradition is over 100 years of building American bikes, although with the recent opening of a full production plant in India that tradition is definitely changing and the American icon that Harley was is not the same anymore.

I love all bikes, but as you said I buy bikes based on my needs and what fits me and is the most comfortable. In the past, Harley met those criteria for me. If you ride on 2 wheels and enjoy the ride that's all that really matters. The brand or type of bike isn't very important. It's the fun factor that counts. You really don't need to understand why someone rides whatever bike they choose to ride. After all, it's their choice not yours and if it puts a smile on their face then that's all there is to understand.