PDA

View Full Version : my new mustang tuck and roll seat is not waterproof......!!!

stéphane
07-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Hello everybody,
i was so happy to receive my new mustang tuck and roll seat and to see the wonderful optical result after i installed it but....
Yesterday evening my bike was parked outside and it was raining.
Before to ride it i wiped the seat with a cloth and go.
Immediatly i felt a bad sensation of wet appeared thrue my pant
i said to myself, ok it was dark i didn't wiped the seat carefully...
Today rain again, this time i wiped the seat with a cloth very carefully especially between the rolls and i jumped on the bike....
Immediatly the same bad sensation and arrived at home my pant was totally wet in the bottom area. I took a look to my ass thrue a mirror and i could clearly saw the rolls wet marks on my pant !!!
I'm totally disgusted, it means the rolls absorbe the water, means it's gone a be a big stress to ride my bike each time it will rain and i think than a seat who let the water coming inside will not live the life of the bike....At this price it's a shame!
I paid 300$ just for the shipping so you can imagine it's hard for me to think about a resent to the supplier....
Does anybody had the same experience? Any advice would be highly appreciate.....:banghead:
Thanks

CarolinaRider
07-13-2014, 03:13 PM
I have just put on a Ultimate seat. I knew from research it is not water proof. They did send a seat cover for it (frog togg material) and say it is for riding in the rain as well as sitting in the rain. I went to wash my bike yesterday and debated on how much water I could get on the seat. When pulling it back into the Garage my back side wasnt wet so I guess I did ok.

Not the same as your situation but you would think a rain cover would have come with your seat for that much money and the fact it isnt waterproof.

Ray H
07-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Any seat will allow water to enter through the stitching. With a tuck & roll seat, you've got a lot of stitching and with each stitch making a hole, that's a lot places for water to enter. As an accessory, many seat manufacturers offer slip-on weatherproof rain covers for their seats. Might not look pretty, but they are functional. Another option is to seal the stitching to help slow down the absorption. I'm sure others will jump on here with additional info.

Phantom
07-13-2014, 03:23 PM
I own Corbin and Ultimate seats ..... both are NOT water proof. I do not leave my bikes un-covered in the rain.

RickW
07-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Like all seats they are not waterproof. Mustang does sell seat covers.
We went over and beyond to get this seat to you and also gave you an extra discount because the shipping was so expensive which has nothing to do with us. We also got the box as small as possible to send it as cheap as possible. The box is huge and we actually re-boxed it to get it as cheap as possible and even put a lower price down for your customs.
Sorry that you are unhappy with the seat.
We have dozens of people that are quite happy with these seats.
I have one on my own F6B and like it quite well.
Rick

Hello everybody,
i was so happy to receive my new mustang tuck and roll seat and to see the wonderful optical result after i installed it but....
Yesterday evening my bike was parked outside and it was raining.
Before to ride it i wiped the seat with a cloth and go.
Immediatly i felt a bad sensation of wet appeared thrue my pant
i said to myself, ok it was dark i didn't wiped the seat carefully...
Today rain again, this time i wiped the seat with a cloth very carefully especially between the rolls and i jumped on the bike....
Immediatly the same bad sensation and arrived at home my pant was totally wet in the bottom area. I took a look to my ass thrue a mirror and i could clearly saw the rolls wet marks on my pant !!!
I'm totally disgusted, it means the rolls absorbe the water, means it's gone a be a big stress to ride my bike each time it will rain and i think than a seat who let the water coming inside will not live the life of the bike....At this price it's a shame!
I paid 300$ just for the shipping so you can imagine it's hard for me to think about a resent to the supplier....
Does anybody had the same experience? Any advice would be highly appreciate.....:banghead:
Thanks

Steve 0080
07-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Rick... does not sound like the person is up set with the sale...just the fact they were not aware if was not water proof ...they need to buy a seat condom.

stéphane
07-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Rick,
as i told you in PM i never said it was your fault and never gave your name as guilty in my previous post. i'm totally happy with the way you purchased me this seat since the beginning to the end but i never had this kind of problem with a motorcycle seat before that's all! My post was to know if other people met this problem and have advices. if this seat is not waterproof i will have to find a way to live with it cause here it's raining often and with the original Honda seat i just had to wipe it and my bottom was dry...... i'll try to see how Mustang seat cover is looking and what about the price
Thanks everybody for your answers :yes:

RickW
07-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Rick... does not sound like the person is up set with the sale...just the fact they were not aware if was not water proof ...they need to buy a seat condom.

Seat Condom's work well when left in the rain, especially if you want a dry butt.

MarcPW
07-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Merci pour l'info ! Je vais faire attention quand il pleut ! :039:

(thanks for the info, will be careful on rainy days)

Fla_rider
07-14-2014, 07:01 PM
I'll stick with stock. It's been thru a monsoon in South Florida, I just wipe and ride no soaked bums! See :moon:

Darkknight
07-15-2014, 05:48 AM
They admit it's not pretty but it is functional. I rode on a rainy weekend through VT and the seat stayed bone dry. The bike was parked outside all weekend.
The Ultimate Seat Co is very clear that their seat is not waterproof and you should cover it.
This is a 2 piece cover, for the seat and the rider's backrest that was provided by Ultimate.

Texas TC
07-16-2014, 02:17 PM
I chose the smoothe finish on my Mustang seat. Not as many seams to gather water. I have been in the rain several times and the positioning of the seams do not cause any wet butt issues. Sometimes, simple is just better.

tonycarver
07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
I chose the smoothe finish on my Mustang seat. Not as many seams to gather water. I have been in the rain several times and the positioning of the seams do not cause any wet butt issues. Sometimes, simple is just better.

i'm not the tallest guy in the world. just around 5'7". I purchased the mustang seat to give me an extra inch closer to the ground. any guys out there in the same boat? wondering if when I install it will I get that lowering effect?

jellybean
07-17-2014, 05:14 PM
i'm not the tallest guy in the world. just around 5'7". I purchased the mustang seat to give me an extra inch closer to the ground. any guys out there in the same boat? wondering if when I install it will I get that lowering effect?

definitely help and with the riser assist you will have more comfort...I am 5'3".

JB

tonycarver
07-18-2014, 11:43 AM
definitely help and with the riser assist you will have more comfort...I am 5'3".

JB

I FEEL YOUR PAIN...LOL . thought I was going to have to go for something else. we had our shadow stolen 3 weeks ago. asked the wife which bike she wanted......so as we ALL know...."happy wife......well you guys know the rest:cheers:

dickiedeals
07-18-2014, 02:53 PM
I guess I've been lucky cause I've ridden Bikes for many years and have never had a seat soak up water like the Mustang Fastback Tripper does. I've even had other mustangs that didn't soak up water like the tripper does. I got caught in the rain and rode a solid 2 hrs in a down pour. After, for the past week every time I forget and sit on the bike without putting plastic between me and the seat I get a wet AZZ!
As soon as I get it dried out I'm going to start rubbing Jonson's Paste wax into the threads and see if I can't slow the water absorption. You push down with your hand and it squirts water out the seams....As crappy as HD seats are, They at least put a water barrier between the Vinyl and the foam so you don't get a wet butt for days...Mustang really should do something about this abundance of water absorption. You pay this much for a seat you shouldn't get wet butt for days.............................Dickie

hiflyer
07-18-2014, 03:40 PM
I guess I've been lucky cause I've ridden Bikes for many years and have never had a seat soak up water like the Mustang Fastback Tripper does. I've even had other mustangs that didn't soak up water like the tripper does. I got caught in the rain and rode a solid 2 hrs in a down pour. After, for the past week every time I forget and sit on the bike without putting plastic between me and the seat I get a wet AZZ!
As soon as I get it dried out I'm going to start rubbing Jonson's Paste wax into the threads and see if I can't slow the water absorption. You push down with your hand and it squirts water out the seams....As crappy as HD seats are, They at least put a water barrier between the Vinyl and the foam so you don't get a wet butt for days...Mustang really should do something about this abundance of water absorption. You pay this much for a seat you shouldn't get wet butt for days.............................Dickie

Just called Mustang to ask them two questions. Do you make a rain cover for this seat? Answer: "No" Do you put a plastic barrier between foam and cover? Answer: "No." My response: "You should do both!" Their response: "Use Protectall on the entire seat to seal seams." I've never heard of that product or where to buy it, but I'm like dickiedeals, I hate a soggy azz.

dickiedeals
07-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Just called Mustang to ask them two questions. Do you make a rain cover for this seat? Answer: "No" Do you put a plastic barrier between foam and cover? Answer: "No." My response: "You should do both!" Their response: "Use Protectall on the entire seat to seal seams." I've never heard of that product or where to buy it, but I'm like dickiedeals, I hate a soggy azz.

Who sells Protectall? Never heard of it. Sounds like a hoaky product like Damitall!...............Dickie

Hornblower
07-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Who sells Protectall? Never heard of it. Sounds like a hoaky product like Damitall!...............Dickie

You may find ProtectAll at your local Walmart in the RV area of the automotive section. That's where I've bought it before. It's a very good product that can be used on almost any surface. It does contain Carnauba Wax and a UV Blocker, if you're interested in that. I first became familiar with this product when I watched a Suzuki dealer go over my brand new Katana 1100 before delivery. He literally put it on everything. The label says it "treats" vinyl, rubber, and finished leather but I see no claim on the bottle that it water proofs so I guess you'll have to try it to see if it reduces or eliminates water absorption in the seat. Here's what I don't get...these expensive aftermarket seats that use materials that absorb water. Why? :shrug: The OEM seat doesn't do that so why can't they?

Ray H
07-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Hornblower is correct. It is a popular product in the RV World and you can normally find it at Camping World or most of the on-line RV suppliers. I will be ordering a can of it immediately as my Mustang seat arrives on Monday. I did not order the deluxe tuck & roll for that very reason, and besides, everyone knows it never rains in Arizona.:icon_rolleyes:

XKnight
07-18-2014, 09:26 PM

It's sold at Amazon among other places and is advertised as being water repellent, but not waterproof.

http://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-62016-Surface-Cleaner/dp/B0002UHWEK

RickW
07-19-2014, 05:21 PM
We have a Corbin Leather Seat on our Spyder. Tons of Blue Web Stitching.
I use Doc Bailey's Leather Detail Kit, Clear (http://store.valueaccessories.net/DocBaileysLeatherDetailKitClearorBlack.aspx)on it.
I forgot all about that. Seems to work quite well, she doesn't complain about it and it has been in the rain way more then I can count. We were in the rain half the day today with it.

Hope this helps.
Rick

Clear: Brand new clear formula designed for all color, exotic skins, & multicolor leathers. Cutting edge technology - light years ahead of traditional leather care. Spray & Wipe Clear Formula cleans, conditions, restores & waterproofs all leather & vinyl.
Excellent for riding leathers, motorcycle seats with stitching, leather furniture, car interiors - all colors of leather, vinyl, rubber & plastic!
By restoring oils in the skin, Doc Bailey's helps minimize the effects of UV rays. No sticky residue, contains no silicone, replaces all silicone detail products. Natural waxes protect & waterproof.

dickiedeals
07-19-2014, 06:58 PM
You may find ProtectAll at your local Walmart in the RV area of the automotive section. That's where I've bought it before. It's a very good product that can be used on almost any surface. It does contain Carnauba Wax and a UV Blocker, if you're interested in that. I first became familiar with this product when I watched a Suzuki dealer go over my brand new Katana 1100 before delivery. He literally put it on everything. The label says it "treats" vinyl, rubber, and finished leather but I see no claim on the bottle that it water proofs so I guess you'll have to try it to see if it reduces or eliminates water absorption in the seat. Here's what I don't get...these expensive aftermarket seats that use materials that absorb water. Why? :shrug: The OEM seat doesn't do that so why can't they?

Thanks Hornblower, picked up ProtectAll from my local WallyWorld today. Now if I can only get the seat dried out. 4 days of sitting in the Florida sun and my butt got wet from seam seepage on the way to Wallyworld to get the ProtectAll, geezz!...........................Dickie

dickiedeals
07-19-2014, 07:01 PM
It's sold at Amazon among other places and is advertised as being water repellent, but not waterproof.

http://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-62016-Surface-Cleaner/dp/B0002UHWEK

4 bucks cheaper at Walmart and no shipping cost..........Dickie

hiflyer
07-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I cured the problem before it got wet. One ride on this thing and it's back to the stocker for me. Soon to be for sale in the classifieds.

opas ride
07-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Hiflyer....What did you not like about the Mustang seat???..Just curious as I have one on order (6weeks now)...not tuck and roll, the regular plain cover....Thanks

hiflyer
07-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Hiflyer....What did you not like about the Mustang seat???..Just curious as I have one on order (6weeks now)...not tuck and roll, the regular plain cover....Thanks

Opas, I should have clarified why. Two things for me, I have a terrible time finding the right seat for any bike, because of my back. Surgery 20 years ago, doesn't keep me from doing a lot of things, but take motorcycling for instance, I have to have the right seat or I pay for it. The second thing, and this wont affect you, the material used in the center of the tuck and roll is too "sticky" for me and prevents me from moving around easily, which I need to do with my back. It's a quality product, and if the seating position fits you, I'm sure you'll be happy.

sub vet
07-22-2014, 07:26 AM
We have a Corbin Leather Seat on our Spyder. Tons of Blue Web Stitching.
I use Doc Bailey's Leather Detail Kit, Clear (http://store.valueaccessories.net/DocBaileysLeatherDetailKitClearorBlack.aspx)on it.
I forgot all about that. Seems to work quite well, she doesn't complain about it and it has been in the rain way more then I can count. We were in the rain half the day today with it.

Hope this helps.
Rick

Clear: Brand new clear formula designed for all color, exotic skins, & multicolor leathers. Cutting edge technology - light years ahead of traditional leather care. Spray & Wipe Clear Formula cleans, conditions, restores & waterproofs all leather & vinyl.
Excellent for riding leathers, motorcycle seats with stitching, leather furniture, car interiors - all colors of leather, vinyl, rubber & plastic!
By restoring oils in the skin, Doc Bailey's helps minimize the effects of UV rays. No sticky residue, contains no silicone, replaces all silicone detail products. Natural waxes protect & waterproof.

Just ordered this seat from you about 24 hrs. ago, now I'll be able to get it treated before I too, learn the hard way! Thanks again:yes:

jimsol1
07-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Rick, selected clear, and quantity of one. press add to cart and says select options. tried many times. jim

RickW
07-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Rick, selected clear, and quantity of one. press add to cart and says select options. tried many times. jim Give Teresa a call real quick at 888 532 0166, she will take care of it for you. Not sure why that would not add, works on our end. Happens once in a while.

djohncline
07-29-2014, 05:53 PM
They admit it's not pretty but it is functional. I rode on a rainy weekend through VT and the seat stayed bone dry. The bike was parked outside all weekend.
The Ultimate Seat Co is very clear that their seat is not waterproof and you should cover it.
This is a 2 piece cover, for the seat and the rider's backrest that was provided by Ultimate.

I was really surprised to find the seat rain covers in the box when i opened it. My first Ultimate, kidos to Dez and the gang. Great seat i believe the hight weight inseam calculations need to be modified a bit. Need to bring the bars back a bit now. But for the 34" inseam guys leave bike in the sun for a bit and go sit on her with feet flatly on ground. after repeating this a few times the sides will conform to you legs. Same for your rump.
PS keep those seat covers in your rain gear bag. then your butt wont look like the diaper is leaking. The best 1035 $'s ive spent on the bike yet. And like most that's just a scratch in the GT.

djohncline
07-29-2014, 05:59 PM

I had one it, loved the feet down position, but, with 34" inseams it became a PIA riding positon, felt folded up a bit, and the extra effort to get the feet on pegs became a liability for my big Azz. About the sexiest look available for the F6 IMHO. Although i could hold the bike up if my 5'2" wife was driving. Great seat wished it maintained the OEM riding position or they sold a variant like Ultimate

zorro07
08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Same problem... I put a rain cover on it for the night when the bike sleeps outdoor. At this moment we have some thunderstorm with lots of rain...
I will contact a saddle maker here in France to change the cover for a waterproof one. It's not expensive, less than 100 EUR.

hiflyer
08-13-2014, 03:04 PM
I had one it, loved the feet down position, but, with 34" inseams it became a PIA riding positon, felt folded up a bit, and the extra effort to get the feet on pegs became a liability for my big Azz. About the sexiest look available for the F6 IMHO. Although i could hold the bike up if my 5'2" wife was driving. Great seat wished it maintained the OEM riding position or they sold a variant like Ultimate

Agree with all you say, even though it's the best looking seat made, mine is in the attic.

Hornblower
09-19-2014, 12:13 PM
A short time ago, we were discussing what conditioner could be used on Ultimate Seats to protect the material and increase water-resistance. Someone mentioned we could use ProtectAll and a discussion on where to purchase that ensued. Just today, I sent an e-mail to Des at Ultimate to confirm that ProtectAll was recommended. He answered that they did NOT recommend using ProtectAll. What they do recommend is using either their own conditioner or another product called Cycle Care Formula 4. Either of these products sell for around $17 for an 8 oz. bottle. Of course, no conditioner will help with water penetrating the thread stitching. Just thought you'd like to know :thumb:.

cpt_go
01-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Just wondering, Has anyone ordered, seen or have a picture of the Corbin seat without the stitching? Seems a number of people are concerned about a wet butt due to the stitching, I was wondering if a smooth seat would be the way to go and how it would look.
Thanks

Fla_rider
01-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Just wondering, Has anyone ordered, seen or have a picture of the Corbin seat without the stitching? Seems a number of people are concerned about a wet butt due to the stitching, I was wondering if a smooth seat would be the way to go and how it would look.
Thanks

From your avatar it looks like your seat will be wet not matter if you get stitching or not. :yikes:

I have a stock seat and I usually don't have issues with water on my seat.

Texas TC
01-13-2015, 02:01 PM
I have the standard Mustang. Had it for about 14 months and 15000 miles. Love it. No wet butt issues when the seat gets wet.