PDA

View Full Version : Rivco Sidestand Pad

srt8-in-largo
07-13-2014, 07:30 PM
So rather than carry around a block of wood or a crushed can for the sidestand, I decided to go for Rivco's sidestand pad. Overall it's great. Fits perfrectly. The set screw cinches it down tightly. Pad area is greatly increased and I don't worry about the stand sinking into hot asphalt or other semi-soft surfaces.

Today, however, I got into a left-turn lean and heard a terrible scraping sound... sure enough it was this pad scraping where the red arrow is. Unfortunately when the stand is "up" and this thing is scraping, there is no give; the stand is as high as its' gonna go and I don't like that. I'd rather have the moveable pegs scrape first, not a solidly mounted item.

I'm gonna take a file to this corner of the pad and see if I can file it down so that it isn't the first thing to scrape. The set screw is right in this corner... so not sure yet if enough material can be removed.

http://wingstuff.com/products/27812-black-anodized-sidestand-pad?context=f6b&from_search=1&sitesync=done

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2Iz59uUBYK8/U8Mits_BURI/AAAAAAAAB-w/YOQ5i1J7sBw/s800/rivco%2520sidestand%2520pad.png

Fla_rider
07-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Sound good to me. Post a pic. When your done

bob109
07-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Shortly after taking delivery of my 6, I realized that Honda Engineers erred in installing a "Vespa Scooter" side stand on the F6B. Having a adequate supply of black Vinyl Material on hand I decided to fab my own cure for the stand foot. Hogging out the Vinyl to match the stand foot, I secured it with a thin strip of the same material. Held in place with two stainless screws with captive nuts it has been securely in place for over a year. You may be able to secure your Rivco pad in the same manner and eliminate the set screw altogether. That would give you the opportunity to grind/file off the material which is contacting the ground.

Here's my original Thread with pics.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?344-Home-Brewed-Side-stand-Pad

srt8-in-largo
07-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Sound good to me. Post a pic. When your done

Roger that.

Shortly after taking delivery of my 6, I realized that Honda Engineers erred in installing a "Vespa Scooter" side stand on the F6B. Having a adequate supply of black Vinyl Material on hand I decided to fab my own cure for the stand foot. Hogging out the Vinyl to match the stand foot, I secured it with a thin strip of the same material. Held in place with two stainless screws with captive nuts it has been securely in place for over a year. You may be able to secure your Rivco pad in the same manner and eliminate the set screw altogether. That would give you the opportunity to grind/file off the material which is contacting the ground.

Here's my original Thread with pics.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?344-Home-Brewed-Side-stand-Pad

Nice work!

Steve 0080
07-13-2014, 08:43 PM
I have the pad from Wing Stuff, it is a great addition as the stock pad was wayyyy to small for hot asphalt here in FLA.....

Steve 0080
07-13-2014, 08:45 PM
So rather than carry around a block of wood or a crushed can for the sidestand, I decided to go for Rivco's sidestand pad. Overall it's great. Fits perfrectly. The set screw cinches it down tightly. Pad area is greatly increased and I don't worry about the stand sinking into hot asphalt or other semi-soft surfaces.

Today, however, I got into a left-turn lean and heard a terrible scraping sound... sure enough it was this pad scraping where the red arrow is. Unfortunately when the stand is "up" and this thing is scraping, there is no give; the stand is as high as its' gonna go and I don't like that. I'd rather have the moveable pegs scrape first, not a solidly mounted item.

I'm gonna take a file to this corner of the pad and see if I can file it down so that it isn't the first thing to scrape. The set screw is right in this corner... so not sure yet if enough material can be removed.

http://wingstuff.com/products/27812-black-anodized-sidestand-pad?context=f6b&from_search=1&sitesync=done

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2Iz59uUBYK8/U8Mits_BURI/AAAAAAAAB-w/YOQ5i1J7sBw/s800/rivco%2520sidestand%2520pad.png

I have been grinding mine off with the use of an asphalt file.......

srt8-in-largo
07-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Haha, I hear ya.

I'd prefer to not have something rigid scraping; that upsets the stability a bit more than I want.

Hornblower
07-14-2014, 07:52 AM
srt8, as you can see, you're not the only one experiencing this. I went through the grinding process several times and finally just took the thing off. To me, this is one of those accessories that seems like a great idea but in reality, maybe not. The other thing I didn't like about it was my heel hitting it every time I moved my feet back on the pegs for the twisties "attack" position. Too bad, really, because it would have been nice not to have to get out the kickstand pad when parking in a soft spot.

srt8-in-largo
07-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Ken, did you try filing the pad down?

Bob's solution is looking pretty good if it can't be filed down enough.

Scotrod
07-14-2014, 08:42 AM
For leveling purposes at home, I use a laminate flooring sample from Homer Depot. About 4 X 6 X 1/4", and free.

I reckon it would work as a 'throw-down' as well.

($0.00 just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! LOL!!!)

Hornblower
07-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I did grind off material several times to see if I could get acceptable clearance. The final decision was that I couldn't grind off enough to be satisfactory (for me) so I took it off. This is a nice piece from Rivco but just doesn't work at all for me.

Hornblower
07-14-2014, 11:50 AM

This conversation has inspired me to grind some more on the pad. With kickstand in the up position, the grinding is on the lower edge and more specifically, in the area you pointed out. Of course, my heel will still hit the pad when I slide my left foot back since that contact area is on the opposite or upper edge. I'd grind that edge down too except the oversize pad would no longer be oversize :shock:.

Texas TC
07-14-2014, 01:49 PM
In wild azz Harley days, the pad proceedure was simple. Stop the bike, put the stand down. Open saddlebag and remove ice cold beer from optional but necessary cooler. Slam said beer down in 30 seconds or less, crush the can and carfully balance the Harley in order to slide the crushed can under the stand. Now that I have given up on alcahol drinks for several years, I carry a small round kickstand disk someone gave to me a few years ago. On these hot Texas summer days, kickstands will migrate onto a hot asphault parking lot in just a few minutes. Better safe than sorry.

MarcPW
07-14-2014, 04:27 PM
What about hardening your rear suspension a few notch ? Might be a solution...

Hornblower
07-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Progress report on grinding the pad...thinking I had previously ground off as much as I thought I should, after this renewed discussion I went back and worked on it some more. This time, I concentrated on the corner pointed out in the OP's initial post. I took that corner down as much as I was comfortable with, being careful to leave adequate "meat" for the set screw. This morning, I went out to one of my favorite left-hand peg-dragging corners, and voila, no more contact with the pad :yes:. Considering this, I would now say it is possible to reshape the Rivco pad so it won't be a problem. Glad this subject came up again because otherwise, I would have removed the pad permanently. Thanks, OP! :clap2:

srt8-in-largo
07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
In wild azz Harley days, the pad proceedure was simple. Stop the bike, put the stand down. Open saddlebag and remove ice cold beer from optional but necessary cooler. Slam said beer down in 30 seconds or less, crush the can and carfully balance the Harley in order to slide the crushed can under the stand. Now that I have given up on alcahol drinks for several years, I carry a small round kickstand disk someone gave to me a few years ago. On these hot Texas summer days, kickstands will migrate onto a hot asphault parking lot in just a few minutes. Better safe than sorry.

Ha! Love that. :icon_biggrin:

Progress report on grinding the pad...thinking I had previously ground off as much as I thought I should, after this renewed discussion I went back and worked on it some more. This time, I concentrated on the corner pointed out in the OP's initial post. I took that corner down as much as I was comfortable with, being careful to leave adequate "meat" for the set screw. This morning, I went out to one of my favorite left-hand peg-dragging corners, and voila, no more contact with the pad :yes:. Considering this, I would now say it is possible to reshape the Rivco pad so it won't be a problem. Glad this subject came up again because otherwise, I would have removed the pad permanently. Thanks, OP! :clap2:

Sweet! Any chance of getting a picture? I haven't started my file work yet but I'd love to follow your template.

Hornblower
07-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Sweet! Any chance of getting a picture? I haven't started my file work yet but I'd love to follow your template.

OK, srt8, here you go:

srt8-in-largo
07-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Right on Ken, thank you!

This thing is bugging me and has me scared of hard left turns. Looks like I got a weekend project now.

XKnight
07-30-2014, 06:13 PM
I put one of these on a few minutes ago. It took me about 30 seconds. Slid right on and feels nice and tight with the set screw in place. Easiest modification so far on any bike I've ever owned. Definitely provides well needed extra surface space for the side stand. About to take a quick ride to test it out. Hoping for no scraping, but with the flat roads round here I don't it will be an issue.