PDA

View Full Version : Full face or modular?

Pap
07-14-2014, 09:09 AM
I have modular helmets that are getting old. After reading the post/poll about helmets got me thinking. Is a modular helmet enough protection in an accident?
Never gave it much thought, but after reading that some flipped up during impact makes me think I want to go full face.
I'm ugly enough, don't need any more help!

For those with full face helmets, when riding with passenger, can you still talk to each other with the visor open?
I would always flip mine up or just keep it up while riding with the wife so we can talk.

Darren
07-14-2014, 09:22 AM
I have a Roof modular, looks great with the face up and down. Allows one handed release of the face which allows you to easily lift and close the face whilst on the move.

kjelders
07-14-2014, 09:34 AM
I wear a Nolan N90 and the wife wears a Scorpion EXO 900 modular helmets. Both have the darker inner pull down sun shield.

F6B1911
07-14-2014, 10:02 AM
I have modular helmets that are getting old.

Yeah, I hear you on the old helmet, I use an OLD Schuberth Concept modular.
I had plans on replacing it this spring when I got the new F6B, but was rudely awoken when I saw the prices on the new ones.
Then we end up at the old argument, Do you purchase a helmet based upon comfort or crash protection?
I always went for comfort first, maybe time to reconsider my next purchase?

F6B-RICH
07-14-2014, 10:06 AM
I ride with a full face all the time.It has a inner flip down sun visor.No passenger for me the wife does not feel safe on 2 wheels .batman-smilie.

Fla_rider
07-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Modular- with the hot summers here in South Florida I find that Modular works best. When stopped at traffic lights I can open her up fully. Only thing I have about modular is that they lack graphics!

WingThing
07-14-2014, 12:12 PM
We use the "Shark EVO" line of Modular helmets. You get the best of both worlds being able to ride at any speed eitherfull face or open mode. Here's a video link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CIkBELgCMAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DR69 09TmfoSo&ei=aQ7EU8DeJsXy8QGck4GIBQ&usg=AFQjCNH3A0Cteg6qP_H407l90EcsjaV3xA&sig2=NBNmppNFLFTvvOwpZuo-eQ&bvm=bv.70810081,d.b2U

Darren
07-14-2014, 12:16 PM
http://vimeo.com/85114604

Scotrod
07-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Level of protection?

In general:

Full-face, modular, open face, half-helmet, baseball cap,,,

'Modulars' are better now than ever before.

Actually, the 'swing to open' helmets are commonly referred to as modular, but true modulars have items that can be removed/replaced/reconfigured, Like the Nolan 44, etc,,, so,,,

In general:

Full-face, Swing to open 'modular', reconfigurable modular, open face, half-helmet, baseball cap,,,

How much protection do you need?

Well,, we have the full face crowd, and the baseball cap crowd, so,,,, As Clint would say,,, "Are ya feelin LUCKY???!!!???" shot his foot

F6BPDX
07-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Currently use a full face, but my next helmet will most likely be a Flip-Up. I think the most important aspect is the latching mechanism. Those from Shoei, Nolan, Schuberth are very stout, some of the bargain basement ones (not all, I don't claim to be a guru in every helmet) have latches that I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with.

Fla_rider
07-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Remember- only a Full face helmet can get the Snell certification, which means multiple impacts. DOT focuses on initial impact.

Pap
07-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Remember- only a Full face helmet can get the Snell certification, which means multiple impacts. DOT focuses on initial impact.

I never knew that....good to know.

SCMike
07-14-2014, 02:55 PM

That can't be true. My Arai CT-Z is an open-face helmet, but it's Snell certified.

F6BPDX
07-14-2014, 03:56 PM
That can't be true. My Arai CT-Z is an open-face helmet, but it's Snell certified.

There are only 2 modulars that are SNELL rated.

The LS2 FF394 and the Zeus 3000.

That being said, neither one appear to actually be available for purchase.

Scotrod
07-14-2014, 04:24 PM
And then, there is always the 'Is the Snell rating a 'must have'?' debate,,,

(The baseball cap guys don't worry too much about that one,,, :icon_biggrin:)

Snell is nice, but if I find what I want w/o it, I still buy it. :shrug:

99m3
07-14-2014, 08:06 PM
I have both and I will tell you that my full face is much quieter than my modular. I just purchased a Shoei 1200 and it is quiet and has great ventilation. You may also want to check out the Shoei GT Air.

darcym
07-14-2014, 11:51 PM
I love the modular helmets! I've never had one that you can ride with the chin bar in the up position, but just having the ability to open it up when you stop is so nice when it's hot out or you just want to make a quick stop without taking off the helmet. The downside is that they tend to be a little heavier than a similar full face helmet. For long rides I have a Shoei full face that is light weight and comfortable for all day wear.

I don't ride with passengers. I have a Nolan with the blue tooth interface, but not really happy with it. That helmet's a little older now anyway, so I may be replacing it soon. I also have a Shoei convertible.

I liked the fit of the Schuberth, but never pulled the plug. They're pricey.

motozeke
07-15-2014, 12:13 AM
I've owned both types, and it's hard to argue against the convenience of the modulars. Last purchase I moved from 3 Shoei helmets in a row (two full face, one modular) to the Schubert C3 Pro, pretty much the summit of the modular world. You can really tell the difference in the build quality and tolerances--this thing is top notch, but their full face line is highly rated too.

If I were on a budget, NO WAY would I buy modular. I would go full face, that's a fact. I don't trust modulars built to a price point. I saw a Bell modular come open in a crash on one of my rides. That's not a risk I'd be willing to run.

Rustysocket
07-15-2014, 12:16 AM
I normally ride with a 3/4 but am considering getting a modular. What are some helmets I should look at?

GiddyupF6B
07-15-2014, 02:56 AM
In over 20 years of riding it's always been a full face. I just 2 months ago picked up my first modular, a Shoei Neotech and I love it! It's much easier to put on and take off with the front flipped up. It's also very convenient at lights to cool off or to talk to people on a quick stop. It has incredible ventilation, an internal flip down sun shield, speaker pockets, a totally removable liner, pinlock anti-fog, sun glass channels, and is surprisingly quiet. I just changed the Bluetooth communication system last night in it from a Scala G4 to a Sena 20S. Overall so far I am very happy with the switch to a modular.....

Darkknight
07-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Yep, I used full face helmets until I bought the F6B. Then went with the Shoei Neotec modular. It's comfortable, very well ventilated, I can easily get to the straw on my coffee coolata:icon_biggrin:. I did make the mistake of flipping the front open at 90 mph and once again said "what was I thinking??!!" But at a leisurely 50-55 with the front open I sip a refreshing beverage without difficulty.

I bought Sweetie the shoei Qwest Sonoma and we use Cardo Scala Q3 comunicators. The helmets are first class and we are still figuring out the many capabilities of the comunicators.

I will say the UCLEAR comunicators are ok but NOT waterproof. I wish cyclegear had told me that BEFORE I purchased those. :no:

Phaedrus
07-15-2014, 07:57 PM
I use an HJC SyMax III. I love it.

Darren
07-16-2014, 05:04 AM

My Roof has E22-05 both open and full face which is the European equivalent

SmallPasture
07-16-2014, 06:52 AM
I Love a big front in w/ a 1/2 helmet. It's that dog hangin' out the window thingy!

But until I get a windshield figured out I'm stuck in a modular Shoei and I'm dying!!!!

fxdl2051
07-16-2014, 12:46 PM
We use the "Shark EVO" line of Modular helmets. You get the best of both worlds being able to ride at any speed eitherfull face or open mode. Here's a video link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CIkBELgCMAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DR69 09TmfoSo&ei=aQ7EU8DeJsXy8QGck4GIBQ&usg=AFQjCNH3A0Cteg6qP_H407l90EcsjaV3xA&sig2=NBNmppNFLFTvvOwpZuo-eQ&bvm=bv.70810081,d.b2U

Looks cool, how quiet are they? Need something else, my HJC 3/4 is driving me nuts with all it's noise and rattling in the wind.

Paul B Blues
07-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Looks cool, how quiet are they? Need something else, my HJC 3/4 is driving me nuts with all it's noise and rattling in the wind.

I have just bought my second Shark Evoline helmet. I had the 1 and now I bought the 3. It's lighter and easier to open and close. It's very quiet with the chinbar flipped up, and I don't always feel the need for ear plugs.

Scotrod
07-18-2014, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=SmallPasture;37891
But until I get a windshield figured out I'm stuck,,,[/QUOTE]

We can help ya with that!!!!!

:icon_biggrin:

"ccsmiley"

hiflyer
07-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I have just bought my second Shark Evoline helmet. I had the 1 and now I bought the 3. It's lighter and easier to open and close. It's very quiet with the chinbar flipped up, and I don't always feel the need for ear plugs.

I love the design features of that helmet, but the liner hurts my bald head. I use it occasionally around town though.

FF-Ed
09-23-2014, 01:19 PM
I own a bunch of full face helmets, for safety I think a full face is the way to go...

Although that being said, I also own 2 modulars... when I ride in groups, Its super nice to flip up and talk at a red light..

My Scala rider com set is mounted in my newest Modular. Long trips, I think this will be my new "go to" helmet.

both of my modulars are not vented nearly as well as my full face helmets, when my head is sweaty, I find myself riding chin up to cool my face and mellon

I also own a "skid lid" you know one of those 1/2 helmet things with a short visor (like harley guys ride with...)(I think its about worthless as a helmet, but when its 95* in North Carolina, they still make you wear a helmet).

It also seems to me as if most new modulars are automatically dished out inside for Comm Stuff. Deeper holes over the ears to accommodate speakers and room for mics...

If I'm racing or stunting on my dirt bike/Supermoto, it's full face

bigbird
09-23-2014, 01:55 PM
I've got 3 helmets, including a Schuberth C3 modular. I personally wouldn't buy a full face, as I wear glasses. From my snowmobiling days, a full face and glasses are a royal PITA. I am very happy with the fit/finish/ergonomics of the Schuberth, but for the price, I'd better be!

XKnight
09-23-2014, 03:32 PM

I have a Shark Evoline and ride with it mostly in 3/4 mode and find it relatively quiet. Wearing ear plugs and having a tall windshield helps with the quietness.

opas ride
09-23-2014, 03:39 PM
I am somewhat claustrophobic and cannot wear a full face helmet as it drives me "nuts" so to speak..Tried a couple of modular helmets and had the same effect...Just recently bought a 3/4 face Shoei J-Cruise and it is super quiet and fits great..My current glasses are a PITA to get on with the helmet and I plan on getting frames that fit straight back over the ears which my fellow riders tell me works a lot better.
Otherwise it is a excellent helmet, much more quite and better fitting that my HJC which is a good helmet but $300 cheaper than the Shoei.....

Injun Joe
09-23-2014, 05:08 PM
I have a Shark Evoline and ride with it mostly in 3/4 mode and find it relatively quiet. Wearing ear plugs and having a tall windshield helps with the quietness.

That's exactly why I'm trying to move AWAY from the Evoline: I found myself in 3/4 most of the time and then what is the point? I was determined to "force" myself back to full face at the start of this year. Unfortunately, the Lazer Falcon I settled on isn't all it's cracked up to be. So I might be on to another helmet at the beginning of next year -- we'll see. Full face is the way to go safety wise. No one will convince me other wise. But then, we don't ride to be safe in the first place, do we?

Two things on the Evoline (and I have the 2) before getting off the topic: You do catch some air and helmet lift with it open that you wouldn't with a well designed, dedicated 3/4. Not horrible, but still evident. Secondly, I swear it makes me even more bobble head self conscious than any other helmet I've had. Makes me feel like Wes Welker or Eli Manning out there. The Evoline is a nice option for someone wanting the best of both worlds. I just found I was kidding myself personally.

XKnight
09-23-2014, 05:20 PM
That's exactly why I'm trying to move AWAY from the Evoline: I found myself in 3/4 most of the time and then what is the point? I was determined to "force" myself back to full face at the start of this year. Unfortunately, the Lazer Falcon I settled on isn't all it's cracked up to be. So I might be on to another helmet at the beginning of next year -- we'll see. Full face is the way to go safety wise. No one will convince me other wise. But then, we don't ride to be safe in the first place, do we?

Two things on the Evoline (and I have the 2) before getting off the topic: You do catch some air and helmet lift with it open that you wouldn't with a well designed, dedicated 3/4. Not horrible, but still evident. Secondly, I swear it makes me even more bobble head self conscious than any other helmet I've had. Makes me feel like Wes Welker or Eli Manning out there. The Evoline is a nice option for someone wanting the best of both worlds. I just found I was kidding myself personally.

Yeah, I don't like the Shark Evoline in full face mode. It's way noisier in FF mode than my Shoei Qwest which is what I wear when the temps get cooler. What's nice about the Shark is that I can wear it comfortably in 3/4 mode in the spring/summer and when it rains I can transform it to full face. I have tried wearing FF helmets in the summer, but it's just too hot and uncomfortable for me. Like most enjoyable things in life, riding a bike has significant risks and rewards and we all have to make choices as to the risk level we are comfortable with.

richw56
09-23-2014, 06:13 PM
I currently prioritize safety.
Just got a Shoei RF1200 - comfortable on my head, well ventilated, SNELL and DOT approved.

Jerry S
09-23-2014, 07:07 PM
I am leaning to a 3/4 helmet however I have always had a full face. I replace helmets every 4 years as my head is worth more than any helmet on earth. Stilo makes a great WRC composite as well as a carbon fibre. NOT Cheap.

shooter
09-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Shoei Neotec. Flat Black and Gloss Black. I like the versatility of the Modular with the integral sunshade and clear shield. Day or Night riding. You can get a drink or talk on the phone without removing the helmet. Scala Rider's complete the system. Best Helmets and communicators I've used.

53driver
09-23-2014, 07:58 PM
"If you get any uglier, I'm leaving you!"
Even though I'm pretty sure she's kidding.....Full face always.
Bell, HD, Shoei RF1100, now fast forward 4 years, Shoei RF1200.
I tell her I can't in good conscience put a price on my good looks!
Cheers,
Steve