PDA

View Full Version : Breakaway Cruise Control/ Throttle lock

BBB
07-14-2014, 01:07 PM
sence of cruise control.

After reading many post about it here, I first went with Go-Cruise.
It was inexpensive and did the job. I just couldn't get over the look of it otherwise nearly PERFECT bike.......

Because I really didn't want to tap into the wirings, the REAL cruise control has never been my option.....

I liked hoOne thing that I really miss after I got my F6B (Deluxe w/ heated grips)
is the abw Breakaway Cruise looks but their web site mentions that it is not compatiable with heated grips. I have read somone here saying that it works with the heated grips. After looking at the diagram on their site closely, I figured the only reason why they say it's not compatiable with heated grips is the possible interferance of the cruise unit and the wires for the heated grips.

Long stroy short, I took the chance and ordered it. I got the parts today and installed it. I basically just had to re-route the wires for the grips DOWN UNDER the switch housing. I haven't taken it out for a test ride yet but I KNOW it's working. :)

I don't know how to post pics here but if any of you are interested, I'm more than happy to send pics of how I got away with the Breakaway cruise w/ the heated grips.

PM me w/ your number for pics.

Hope this helps!

BBB
07-14-2014, 02:26 PM
I test rode my bike with the breakaway cruise.

Only one thing I can say:

It worked PERFECTLY and I LOVE IT!

No issue with the heated grip wires. :)

SCMike
07-14-2014, 03:01 PM
I had the Breakaway on my VTX 1800 and loved it. The only reason I haven't put one on my F6B is because the stainless finish on it will stand out like a sore thumb on the black handlebars and grips of the F6B. It just seems to fit better on a bike with chrome handlebars and more bright metal.

BBB
07-14-2014, 08:30 PM
I had the Breakaway on my VTX 1800 and loved it. The only reason I haven't put one on my F6B is because the stainless finish on it will stand out like a sore thumb on the black handlebars and grips of the F6B. It just seems to fit better on a bike with chrome handlebars and more bright metal.

I hear ya! That's one thing I don't like about the breakaway.
I checked with two local shop that do aluminum
Anodizing. They both quoted me $100!
I decided not to do it at this time but I have a feeling
that I'd be taking it apart n getting it anodized in black
So it looks better on my black bike.
You know how that goes (spending $$$ on bikes) lol

LX2
07-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Would work with Kuryakyn grips, I'd be all over that.............or do they?

naga viper
07-15-2014, 07:40 AM
I too had one previously I would be afraid that the set screws would damage the heating element, and or wires.
Just sayin good luck! Kaoko was my next choice, would love cc. but its riding season maybe winter time?

dudeonit
07-15-2014, 08:21 AM
I too had one previously I would be afraid that the set screws would damage the heating element, and or wires.
Just sayin good luck! Kaoko was my next choice, would love cc. but its riding season maybe winter time?

The set screws go into the adaptor ring.

The issue is the cable hanging up.

naga viper
07-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Yes BUT they do bite into the grip.

dudeonit
07-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Mine is installed and am glad I did.

Safest throttle lock out there.

Have one on my VFR1200 and had one on my VTX1800.

Look @ item # 22 in this link. It is a hard poly material and the set screws with not penetrate through it.

http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/pdf/6CB02-03.pdf

Because the adaptor ring displaces the force from the set screws across the grip surface there will be no issues with wires being cut or shorting.

Would be nice if they optioned a black unit but I am OK with it standing out. Get a lot of people asking about it @ stops.

Scotrod
07-15-2014, 10:20 AM
I am OK with it standing out. Get a lot of people asking about it @ stops.

My Kaoko operates in 'stealth mode' :poke:

No 'contraption' with linkage / wire snaggler hanging out,,, :poke:

No 'what's that?' conversations,,, :poke:

:icon_biggrin:

.batman-smilie.

:cheers:

Rayzar
07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
I ordered one and I'm installing it Friday on my deluxe when UPS delivers it

99m3
07-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I have the same grips. I checked the website and the FAQ states that it will work with the Kury grips.

smokinjoe187
07-15-2014, 10:00 PM
sence of cruise control.

After reading many post about it here, I first went with Go-Cruise.
It was inexpensive and did the job. I just couldn't get over the look of it otherwise nearly PERFECT bike.......

Because I really didn't want to tap into the wirings, the REAL cruise control has never been my option.....

I liked hoOne thing that I really miss after I got my F6B (Deluxe w/ heated grips)
is the abw Breakaway Cruise looks but their web site mentions that it is not compatiable with heated grips. I have read somone here saying that it works with the heated grips. After looking at the diagram on their site closely, I figured the only reason why they say it's not compatiable with heated grips is the possible interferance of the cruise unit and the wires for the heated grips.

Long stroy short, I took the chance and ordered it. I got the parts today and installed it. I basically just had to re-route the wires for the grips DOWN UNDER the switch housing. I haven't taken it out for a test ride yet but I KNOW it's working. :)

I don't know how to post pics here but if any of you are interested, I'm more than happy to send pics of how I got away with the Breakaway cruise w/ the heated grips.

PM me w/ your number for pics.

Hope this helps!

it will never work....thats what they said...just turned 23 k miles....been used every day for the last year and change...one of the best mods i made..

smokinjoe187
07-15-2014, 10:02 PM

they make one that does...call the and get the number