PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the tallest windshield that will fit the F6B?

BIGLRY
07-14-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a few questions about windshields.
After doing a search that had not given me any satisfying answers I'm turning to my fellow F6B owners. A little background first, I'm 6'5" 35" inseam with a 66" chest and push 400lbs around all day.:yikes:
I run WindVests on two of my other steel steeds in the stable and love them(Rune, VTX1800) this is my first full fairing MC that I could change the shield on.:icon_biggrin:
I replaced the F6B's OEM windshield with a KW flair (13.75"measured from emblem on dash) The KW flair was JUST okay until I installed the Rocky risers(up, back & wider) and had a RDL saddle made(3" up and 4" back). Now the KW flair is way to short,:icon_doh: so I get the Clearview Sport Touring Tall, tinted with vent, thinking that would do it.:icon_biggrin:
The Clearview was a very good improvement and fine sheild, but still not quite tall enough for me(16.75" measured from emblem on dash). There was no buffeting with the Clearview, just way to much wind noise when setting straight up, but was fine if I slouched way over, but that is not the way I ride.
;roughrider;
After talking with Clearview they told me they could make me a shield 1" taller for $40 more, but no more than the 1". I feel I need at a min 3" more on the Clearview...so it is on its way back to Clearview and getting my $ back.
I have attached a few pic of the KW and the Clearview, hole to hole so you can see how they compare to each other.;photog;

Here are my questions: Will the older 5 mount hole Goldwing OEM or aftermarket shields fit the 3 hole pattern the newer Goldwing/F6B mount with?
Who makes the tallest shield, OEM/Honda or aftermarket?
Any of you real tall guys have this type issue with their shield?

In conclusion I have come to a very somber realization NEVER BUY A WINDSHIELD UNTIL YOU HAVE THE SADLLE AND BARS SET THE WAY YOU WANT FIRST :banghead:

Fla_rider
07-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Why didn't you go with the Bagger shield, I think it rings the bell at 19"with both pieces in place and 14 with just the bottom.. Hold on I'll post a pic with both pieces in place.

wow a bird got me on the way home!

Scotrod
07-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Here are my questions: Will the older 5 mount hole Goldwing OEM or aftermarket shields fit the 3 hole pattern the newer Goldwing/F6B mount with?

YES. You may want to invest in some fender washers as the slots are a bit wider.

In conclusion I have come to a very somber realization NEVER BUY A WINDSHIELD UNTIL YOU HAVE THE SADLLE AND BARS SET THE WAY YOU WANT FIRST :banghead:

With GW shields as a viable alternative,,,, you'll get best response regarding 'what's tallest' from those who have/had GL's..

If you want quiet,,,,

I'm pretty sure Madstad can make ya a wider shield.(They offered to do so for me) With that in mind, they might be able to offer you a taller (than 15) shield.

BIGLRY
07-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Why didn't you go with the Bagger shield, I think it rings the bell at 19". Hold on I'll post a pic with both pieces in place.
No offence, but I really don't like the look of the Bagger shield, just not my cup of...er....you get my drift,
I also want to look over not through the shield and why the flair or re-curve was my first choice.:icon_biggrin:

Fla_rider
07-14-2014, 07:43 PM
No offense taken, I run most the time without the top portion. Just the lower provides great protection and i hear the radio at 14 doing 80. Of course I have Baker Wings too!

Scotrod
07-14-2014, 07:45 PM
How about a Tulsa?

Yeah, it's big, but I bet you can still see over it,,,

http://www.allamericanprod.com/1800.html

BIGLRY
07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
With GW shields and a viable alternative,,,, you'll get best response regarding 'what's tallest' from those who have/had GL's..

If you want quiet,,,,

I'm pretty sure Madstad can make ya a wider shield.(They offered to do so for me) With that in mind, they might be able to offer you a taller (than 15) shield.
Thanks Scot, I'm thinking of getting one of them tall OEM 5 hole shields I see on Fleabay all the time for cheap. Now I just need to find out how tall they really are, I have the ability & tools to cut one down, drill holes, buff & polish if needed.:yes:

99m3
07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
I have also run the Windvest on my Road Glides. I talked to Doug and he almost has the 14" ready for our F6B. He is sending me one of the prototypes and I will post pics.

BIGLRY
07-14-2014, 07:55 PM
How about a Tulsa?

Yeah, it's big, but I bet you can still see over it,,,

http://www.allamericanprod.com/1800.html
I'm calling them tomorrow....THANKS!:cheers:

BIGLRY
07-14-2014, 08:02 PM
I have also run the Windvest on my Road Glides. I talked to Doug and he almost has the 14" ready for our F6B. He is sending me one of the prototypes and I will post pics.
Yea I knew Doug was working on something for the F6B, but also I know it will probably be to short for me.:icon_frown:
I look forward to the pic:yes:

smokinjoe187
07-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm calling them tomorrow....THANKS!:cheers:

i use a factory tall shield with a vent...its the gl1800 tall and i transfered the hole and put it where i wanted it
price 180...plus the vent,well worth it and replacable everywhere...
btw
i got mine from wingstuff!!

smokinjoe187
07-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Yea I knew Doug was working on something for the F6B, but also I know it will probably be to short for me.:icon_frown:
I look forward to the pic:yes:

i got my windvest today!!!
ill let you know...it looks good so far
ill post pictures tomorrow
im sure you are right...you might look at the gl tall and re drill it...pretty simple process

bobo
07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
I installed the stock gl 1800 winshield on my f6b it measured 17" from the trim to the top of the winshield, could bring it to 20" all you just have to redrill holes to put it to the height that you want, hope this helps.

GNW
07-15-2014, 09:28 AM
I have the Bagger Shield (one piece) 19 inch Touring Shield, can also be raised another 1.25 inches. I like it and don't mind looking through it. Wind protection is great for me and the little wife. Happy wife/happy life !!

Scotrod
07-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Larry,,

Perhaps OT, but post a pic of that seat. I don't know that folks here quite understand what you are working with OR, more importantly, what RDL can do to provide comfort!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

(Is that the C-tro under the bike cover? Had R bars on my C as well!!! :yes:)

Retired Army
07-15-2014, 10:52 AM
6924Is this tall enough? I have underwent cataract operations and it works for me. It from f4 customs.

edgeman55
07-15-2014, 01:07 PM
I am 6'5" and around 390,give or take how much lunch I have on a given day!I still have the stock seat but with the 19" Baggershield at the lowest setting I am looking over the top of the screen.Works well for me-I love the vent as open it helps with any back pressure created.I plan to get a seat that will put me up a inch or two so the Baggershield as stated can be raised a little to make up for that.Plus it does have some more width over the Honda screens.

BIGLRY
07-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Larry,,

Perhaps OT, but post a pic of that seat. I don't know that folks here quite understand what you are working with OR, more importantly, what RDL can do to provide comfort!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

(Is that the C-tro under the bike cover? Had R bars on my C as well!!! :yes:)Yea that is my C'tro("C" + Retro), a 2002 VTX1800 "C" with all the 2003 VTX "R" tank, dash, risers and bars installed. I built the first one and built the custom wiring harness adapter to make it all work right.

smokinjoe187
07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
I have a few questions about windshields.
After doing a search that had not given me any satisfying answers I'm turning to my fellow F6B owners. A little background first, I'm 6'5" 35" inseam with a 66" chest and push 400lbs around all day.:yikes:
I run WindVests on two of my other steel steeds in the stable and love them(Rune, VTX1800) this is my first full fairing MC that I could change the shield on.:icon_biggrin:
I replaced the F6B's OEM windshield with a KW flair (13.75"measured from emblem on dash) The KW flair was JUST okay until I installed the Rocky risers(up, back & wider) and had a RDL saddle made(3" up and 4" back). Now the KW flair is way to short,:icon_doh: so I get the Clearview Sport Touring Tall, tinted with vent, thinking that would do it.:icon_biggrin:
The Clearview was a very good improvement and fine sheild, but still not quite tall enough for me(16.75" measured from emblem on dash). There was no buffeting with the Clearview, just way to much wind noise when setting straight up, but was fine if I slouched way over, but that is not the way I ride.
;roughrider;
After talking with Clearview they told me they could make me a shield 1" taller for $40 more, but no more than the 1". I feel I need at a min 3" more on the Clearview...so it is on its way back to Clearview and getting my $ back.
I have attached a few pic of the KW and the Clearview, hole to hole so you can see how they compare to each other.;photog;

i redrilled a goldwing tall screen,its wider like me and stops the buffeting and i look over the top of it

glryder98
07-15-2014, 07:36 PM
How about a 20" tall F4 Custom windshield. Ready to mount on the F6B with no drilling. Windshield comes with 2 extra bolts and washers to mount it in all 5 bolt holes. Perfect optical clarity, like looking through glass. Paper towel and windex cleanup. No more polishes or wax. Call F4 Customs they will treat you like a king!

Scotrod
07-15-2014, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=glryder98;37843]How about a 20" tall F4 Custom windshield.

Hmm, that might be an option as well,,,

Not sure about the F6B version working for ya,,,

No picture of the 20" F6B shield.

Here's the 18: https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_34&product_id=206

For something taller, here is the plus 4 GWing shield:

https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_5&product_id=207

4 inches taller than OEM Gwing. It doesn't lean back as far as the Tulsa, so it might not be 'in your face' as much,,,

F4 is a bit pricy, but they get some really good reviews/clean up real easy. Not impossible to scratch, but far better scratch resistance than 'conventional' shields.

(F4 is also a board sponsor. :yes:)

srt8-in-largo
08-17-2014, 08:36 PM
The Madstad should be able to get the wind over your head. You just have to be ok with the MadMax aesthetics :icon_biggrin:

The biggest shield on the website is 15" but as mentioned they can be custom ordered bigger. The difference with this setup is, in addition to up and down movement, the rake angle of the shield can be adjusted and that makes a fair change to the airflow.

I have the small 11" shield. I'm 5'10" and have the OEM seat; my Madstad is adjusted all the way up and fully raked back and I'm very well protected. In this setting, the top edge of the shield is 16.5" above the Honda emblem on the dash. If I adjust the shield to be in more of a vertical position, the airstream moves higher over my head. The reason why an "11 inch" shield can sit so high is due to the mounting brackets.

Frankly, I love the wind protection and adjustability but I'm looking at the Clearview large just to have something prettier that flows better with the lines of the bike.

NOTE: In the bottom two pics the windshield is not raked all the way back, but it is in the first pic.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-P9BHOp76Oz4/U-g3oSPElII/AAAAAAAACAo/j2cxBQYl8h8/s800/DSC00599.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lsFsWoTWya8/U-hPS7q3KZI/AAAAAAAACBs/bJM_7Aew6KE/s800/0711141941.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-coXLapYzpag/U-hPSQf_KOI/AAAAAAAACBg/GlWDaiEYBZ0/s800/0711141939a.jpg

F4 Customs
08-18-2014, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=glryder98;37843]How about a 20" tall F4 Custom windshield.

Hmm, that might be an option as well,,,

Not sure about the F6B version working for ya,,,

No picture of the 20" F6B shield.

Here's the 18: https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_34&product_id=206

For something taller, here is the plus 4 GWing shield:

https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_5&product_id=207

4 inches taller than OEM Gwing. It doesn't lean back as far as the Tulsa, so it might not be 'in your face' as much,,,

F4 is a bit pricy, but they get some really good reviews/clean up real easy. Not impossible to scratch, but far better scratch resistance than 'conventional' shields.

(F4 is also a board sponsor. :yes:)

.....at the base of the windshield. This will also be 3" wider than stock F6B at the fairing. Give is a call, we would love to answer any questions you might have. 330-968-4644

F6BPDX
08-18-2014, 11:58 AM
The Madstad should be able to get the wind over your head. You just have to be ok with the MadMax aesthetics :icon_biggrin:

The biggest shield on the website is 15" but as mentioned they can be custom ordered bigger. The difference with this setup is, in addition to up and down movement, the rake angle of the shield can be adjusted and that makes a fair change to the airflow.

I have the small 11" shield. I'm 5'10" and have the OEM seat; my Madstad is adjusted all the way up and fully raked back and I'm very well protected. In this setting, the top edge of the shield is 16.5" above the Honda emblem on the dash. If I adjust the shield to be in more of a vertical position, the airstream moves higher over my head. The reason why an "11 inch" shield can sit so high is due to the mounting brackets.

Frankly, I love the wind protection and adjustability but I'm looking at the Clearview large just to have something prettier that flows better with the lines of the bike.

NOTE: In the bottom two pics the windshield is not raked all the way back, but it is in the first pic.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-P9BHOp76Oz4/U-g3oSPElII/AAAAAAAACAo/j2cxBQYl8h8/s800/DSC00599.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lsFsWoTWya8/U-hPS7q3KZI/AAAAAAAACBs/bJM_7Aew6KE/s800/0711141941.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-coXLapYzpag/U-hPSQf_KOI/AAAAAAAACBg/GlWDaiEYBZ0/s800/0711141939a.jpg

Are you sure you got an 11"? The distance between the top edge of the shield and bracket look more like my 13" than my 11" (I bought both originally being undecided at 6' tall, but use the 11")

srt8-in-largo
08-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Hmmmmm... I can only say I ordered the 11"... I never actually measured what was sent.

Interesting; I'll measure it tonight.

F6BPDX
08-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Hmmmmm... I can only say I ordered the 11"... I never actually measured what was sent.

Interesting; I'll measure it tonight.

FYI, after looking a second time I notice you also have the GL1800 base plate (1" taller and has the little winglets on the sides) and not the F6B version. My guess is you ordered the smallest F6B kit (11") and were sent the smallest GL1800 kit (14") by mistake. I don't think this is a bad thing (I am running a GL1800 base as well) other than the fact that if I am right it means Madstad is still having issues with sending out the correct product which is a huge disservice to their customers and themselves.