PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control

moorege
06-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Did anyone have and aftermarket cruise control installed yet? I just can not have a bike without it. But I just love this bike. AAAHHHHHH

micky_foccer
06-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Went with a throttle lock. Biught mine from Throttlemeister. Very pleased with it. Looks and works great!

MNF6B
06-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Went with a throttle lock. Biught mine from Throttlemeister. Very pleased with it. Looks and works great!

Throttlemeister here +1

jkelley
06-10-2013, 08:29 AM
NO real cruise yet, Hoping Pete gets it done soon. Like you I am missing mine more than I thought I would.

Throttle lock devices simply don't work here in the mountains.

RT59
06-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Throttlemeister for me too until a full cruise is available. My TM is so much better than nothing at all. It works great with this bike - even pulling a trailer.

Russ

Mustangjake
06-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I bought the new Aluminum go cruise! works good for me .

BARRYS770
06-15-2013, 12:14 PM
I have successfully installed a Rostra cuise contol on the F6B. It was a difficult task, but it certainly doable. The cruise engages smoothly & holds speeds within a mile an hour or so. Due to local traffic conditions, I've only been able to test it between 40 & 60 mph.

Steve 0080
06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Interesting.......

Pedro66
06-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Great minds think alike it seems :clap2: did you pickup the speed pulse direct from the bike or did you have to use a multiplier/divider what are your DIP settings

We went side ways with the mount allows for the heated grip switches

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/Cruise/file_zpsf0a96e3b.jpg

Making this part for the throttle body

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/Cruise/file_zpsc0ee187d.jpg

Not fully fitted needs a 7mm thread extender

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/Cruise/file_zps69eecd11.jpg

Cable routes around the front

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/Cruise/file_zps9d5e2a17.jpg

BARRYS770
06-15-2013, 05:08 PM
If you'll notice, my throttle body lever is bent with an offset, so that it fits within the recess in the stock throttle cable rotary arm. My throttle arm is .060. I removed the stock lock washer & used a star washer, which is much thinner than the stock washer. I reused the stock nut.

I mounted my cruise control the way I did so that i could access the dip switches easier. I had to move the wire attachments for the heated grips. I still have room for the heated grips controller & I can get the radiator cap off if I have to.

For the speed signal, I tapped into the VS wire near where it goes into the ECM. It's the white wire w/black stripe (#A10) on the Black connector. I used a X4 frequency divider between the VS wire and the Rostra unit. I was never able to actually determine the "pluses per mile", but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 70,000 to 75,000. The VS signal is picked up off of the counter shaft 4th gear, which has 27 teeth and the engine turns 3250 @ 60 mph. 27 X 3250 = 87750. If I knew the gear reduction between the engine crankshaft & the counter shaft, the exact pulses per mile could be calculated.

I also tapped onto one of the coil driver wires (#A26, A27, or A28) for the RPM signal. This won't give the Rostra unit the exact RPM, but it doesn't matter, because the Rostra unit monitors the "rate of RPM change" for safety purposes if the clutch is pulled in or the transmission is knocked out of gear somehow.

The dip switch settings I used are based on the length of the lever arm and the relative angle that I used as it's attached to the throttle body. My arm has a C-C of 1-1/2" & the angle would be about 4:30 on the clock.

Gain: low
Pulses/Mile: 19,300
Engine/set up: 4 cylinder low
VSS Source: Square wave
Tranmission: Manual
Control Sw: Open

Pedro66
06-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Great work now everyone can stop bugging me to make the kit just need to tell them which pulse divider

MSGT-R
06-15-2013, 07:01 PM
We still love you Pete! :icon_mrgreen:

BARRYS770
06-16-2013, 06:17 AM
The pulse divider is available from Rostra. Part #250-4379.

BARRYS770
06-17-2013, 06:19 AM
After some further testing, I find that I get a check engine light, indicating a VS error in the ecm. This seems to occur randomly. Everything, including the speedo, continues to function normally. Obviously, I have more work to do.

Barry

jkelley
06-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Great work now everyone can stop bugging me to make the kit just need to tell them which pulse divider

Nope, you ain't getting off that easy!!!!!

BARRYS770
06-19-2013, 06:10 PM
The rain finally stopped. More testing of the cruise control today. I have solved the "VS" check engine error by inserting a 4.7K ohm resister in series with the VS input to the pulse divider. I put nearly 100 miles on the bike with varying terrain & varying "set" speeds up to 75 mph. The cruise works perfectly & holds the speed to + or - 1 mph.

Barry

jkelley
06-20-2013, 05:49 AM
You are the man!

Now come do mine?

MichaelG
06-20-2013, 12:44 PM
The rain finally stopped. More testing of the cruise control today. I have solved the "VS" check engine error by inserting a 4.7K ohm resister in series with the VS input to the pulse divider. I put nearly 100 miles on the bike with varying terrain & varying "set" speeds up to 75 mph. The cruise works perfectly & holds the speed to + or - 1 mph.

Barry

Baerry, that is all good news...and now my one question...at this time. Does the cruise system you have built have a maximum Set speed, or is it unlimited in the Set speed ?

BARRYS770
06-20-2013, 07:46 PM
The cruise has a minimum "set" speed built into the control unit's software. The min. "set" speed is determined from the pulse count per mile that you set in the unit. For example, if the actual pulse count is 20,000 pulses per mile & you set the Rostra unit @ 24,000 pulses per mile, the unit will see it's minimum "set speed" sooner (lower speed) than if the correct pulses per mile were set. Conversely, if you program the unit to a pulses per mile lower than actual pulse count, the minimum "set" speed will be higher.

I do not believe that the cruise unit has a max. speed programed into it. I have only tested mine to 75mph & it worked fine at that speed. When I get a clear day I'll try it at a higher speed. GA has a "super speeder" fine that is on top of any local speeding fine. 20 mph over the posted limit or 85 mph gets you this extra fine of $250.00.

The Rostra unit has a maximum mechanical pull of 1-5/8". So, depending on your throttle arm length, and the amount of slack in the cable at idle, the unit may not have enough mechanical travel to pull the throttle open far enough to maintain very high speeds, especially with steeper hills and heaver loads (ie: pulling a trailer). My throttle arm has a center to center length of slightly over 1-1/2", which gives me a total pull length of about 2-1/8". Therefore, in my case, it's impossible for the cruise control to fully open the throttle. However, my guess is that it'll maintain speeds up to 85 or 90 mph, which is faster than I normally ride.

Barry

yellowskeeter1
06-21-2013, 04:15 PM
You guys are either very smart or I am really dumb. You lost me at pulse modulators. Good job on getting it worked out! Now we need it as a kit.

Memphian
06-21-2013, 05:25 PM
You guys are either very smart or I am really dumb. You lost me at pulse modulators. Good job on getting it worked out! Now we need it as a kit.

:agree::agree::agree:

Drew
06-26-2013, 02:05 PM
When can we expect a set of instructions and a parts list? A cruise is the one thing keeping the F6B from being the perfect bike.

jkelley
06-26-2013, 02:14 PM
When can we expect a set of instructions and a parts list? A cruise is the one thing keeping the F6B from being the perfect bike.

+1 True Dat

BARRYS770
06-27-2013, 03:13 PM
You are the man!

Now come do mine?

If you live in Hawaii and are picking up all 1st class accommodations, my wife & I will be there tomorrow.

Barry

BARRYS770
06-27-2013, 04:13 PM
For those who have asked, the parts that I used to install the Rostra Cruise Control on my F6B are as follows;

Rostra universal cruise control kit 250-1223
Rostra control unit 250-3592
Rostra pulse divider (divide by 4) 250-4379
Hela spst 12v relay 933332107
Holley carb stud 20-40
Dorman cable stop 03337

The above listed items are available from Summit Racing. In addition to the above listed items, the following will be needed;

HONDA Service Manual
4.7K ohm resister 1/2 watt
Tie wraps
Heat shrink tubing
Wire terminals
Solder & Soldering equipment

You will need to fabricate three (3) brackets. A bracket to mount the cruise Servo, a bracket to mount the control switch on the handle bar and a bracket (lever) to mount on the throttle body for the cruise cable. Earlier in this post, PEDRO66 & I posted some pictures of the brackets that we made for this Installation. These pictures should provide you with some ideas on the brackets that will need to be fabricated.

The Rostra kits come with complete instructions on how to install this unit. The wires are all labeled and the Rostra instructions give details as to where these wires are to be connected. You will need to consult the Honda Service Manual to locate the required connection points.

You could also use a Goldwing cruise control handle in lieu of the Rostra control unit. This would make it look more like a "factory" install. The G/W control would probably add $125 or so to the cost and would require some additional research into the wiring requirements.

The installation of a cruise control on this bike is quite involved and will probability test the patience of many. Good Luck!

Barry

jkelley
06-28-2013, 05:24 AM
If you live in Hawaii and are picking up all 1st class accommodations, my wife & I will be there tomorrow.

Barry

LOL

How about North Carolina? And I'll feed you well!

Dmoon64
06-28-2013, 11:18 AM
:bowdown:

Way outside my skillset though.

jkelley
06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
For those who have asked, the parts that I used to install the Rostra Cruise Control on my F6B are as follows;

Rostra universal cruise control kit 250-1223
Rostra control unit 250-3592
Rostra pulse divider (divide by 4) 250-4379
Hela spst 12v relay 933332107
Holley carb stud 20-40
Dorman cable stop 03337

The above listed items are available from Summit Racing. In addition to the above listed items, the following will be needed;

HONDA Service Manual
4.7K ohm resister 1/2 watt
Tie wraps
Heat shrink tubing
Wire terminals
Solder & Soldering equipment

You will need to fabricate three (3) brackets. A bracket to mount the cruise Servo, a bracket to mount the control switch on the handle bar and a bracket (lever) to mount on the throttle body for the cruise cable. Earlier in this post, PEDRO66 & I posted some pictures of the brackets that we made for this Installation. These pictures should provide you with some ideas on the brackets that will need to be fabricated.

The Rostra kits come with complete instructions on how to install this unit. The wires are all labeled and the Rostra instructions give details as to where these wires are to be connected. You will need to consult the Honda Service Manual to locate the required connection points.

You could also use a Goldwing cruise control handle in lieu of the Rostra control unit. This would make it look more like a "factory" install. The G/W control would probably add $125 or so to the cost and would require some additional research into the wiring requirements.

The installation of a cruise control on this bike is quite involved and will probability test the patience of many. Good Luck!

Barry

Barry,

Thank you for all your work and sharing the part list and knowledge.

Jim

Dmoon64
06-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Is this install something a dealer could (or would) do?

BLACKBETTY12
06-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Is this install something a dealer could (or would) do?

I would think not, due to liability issues and not being a Honda OEM Part!

Drew
06-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all of your help, I'll start gathering parts and get started on this ASAP.

Darkknight
06-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Ok here it comes...
If the full GoldWings come with a cruise control system, is it possible to take that system and install it on the F6B? I'm assuming the answer is no. I wouldn't think you guys are going through this exercise just because you can.

Is it a fitment problem between the two bikes or cost or design difference between the bagger and the full wing? Or all of the above?

Pedro66
06-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Ok here it comes...
If the full GoldWings come with a cruise control system, is it possible to take that system and install it on the F6B? I'm assuming the answer is no. I wouldn't think you guys are going through this exercise just because you can.

Is it a fitment problem between the two bikes or cost or design difference between the bagger and the full wing? Or all of the above?

Yes not a problem it can be done electrically/mechanically but really it comes down to cost, unusually Honda actually did change a lot of the wiring harness on the F6B rather than just use what they had on the shelf, even the throttle body is different in the fact that it does not have the second throttle boss for the cruise cable, you can buy it but only as part of the complete assembly or get a used body and strip it down.

By the time you purchased/changed everything you needed to t would be prohibitive for most people, the method detailed here is the most cost effective/functional the only change I would make is to not use the Rostra controller but modify a factor wing right hand control cluster to give the factory look.

BARRYS770
06-29-2013, 09:56 AM
I want to provide a little more info on the Rostra control unit for this install. It is not waterproof, therefore, you must waterproof if before the install. You do this by taking the the control apart & carefully sealing it with silicone as you reassemble it. I did this on another m/c and have spent many hours in the rain without any problems.

You can also simplify the installation by using Rostra #250-3593 control unit. The 250-3593 control does not have the "engaged" light, and thus eliminates the requirement to use a relay in the wiring scheme. The control that I used (#250-3592) requires a pos. signal to activate the "engaged" light, whereas, the servo unit outputs a neg. signal when the cruise is engaged.

I agree with PEDRO66 on the use of a G/W control, but for now I'm satisfied with the Rostra control. As I stated earlier, I may look into the use of a G/W control this winter. For now I'm going to ride & enjoy the Summer with my cruise control equipped F6B.

Barry

bobbyf6b
07-12-2013, 08:14 PM
I want to order the Go Cruise, can't find it locally. Which size do I order? It has a bar size but why does that matter when it mounts to the grip?

F6B-RICH
07-12-2013, 11:15 PM
I want to order the Go Cruise, can't find it locally. Which size do I order? It has a bar size but why does that matter when it mounts to the grip?

No clue on why there is a bar size.I got mine on E-bay $29.99 with free shipping.It has the thumb wheel to adjust how tight you want it on your grip.

bobbyf6b
07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
I finally found one at a local store. It's the 1" and so far seems to fit fine. I'll test it and post a pic tomorrow.

dougvtx
07-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Throttlemeister for me too until a full cruise is available. My TM is so much better than nothing at all. It works great with this bike - even pulling a trailer.

Russ

I purchased a Kaoko and I would have to take the weight out of the end of the grip. It's not that easy. Unless there is a special tool.
How much work is the Throttlemeister to install? Unscrew and screw? If it is, I'll send this Kaoko back and get a Throttlemeister. I'm using a Go Cruise. I just finished a 2700 mile trip and it was useful.

MSGT-R
07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, I know one thing now; Vista Cruise won't fit with the heated grips.. :banghead:

bobbyf6b
07-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Tried out the Go Cruise yesterday. Inexpensive, easy install and easy to use. Takes some messing with it to get the speed where you want and doesn't compensate for hills but for those long flat roads it's nice to rest the right hand for a bit. Best bang for the buck IMO. $20 at my local bike shop.

daleglide
07-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Is anybody using an O-Ring as a throttle lock/cruise control? (ie:Catapillar part number 8M4991 silicone o-ring)

Scotrod
07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Had a couple Go Cruises on prior rides. Best bang for the buck as all I need is 'wrist break' every now and then. (Never use the cruise in my truck due to traffic, so it wouldn't be much different with a bike)

Had the Kury version of the throttle-meister. Pretty much a PITA to use.

Thought about the adjustable version of the go Cruise, but will stick with the 'original' and add my 'po boy anti-theft / adjustable tension device'

Run a small zip type through the large hole and down under the lower arm. Tighten for effect! LOL!

bob109
07-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Is anybody using an O-Ring as a throttle lock/cruise control? (ie:Catapillar part number 8M4991 silicone o-ring)

Bought a ten pack and used one briefly before purchasing the Adjustable Aluminum version of the Go-Cruise. I found that I can place a o-ring on both sides which acts as collars and stabilizes the GC.

A few pics for clarity!

yellow rex
07-30-2013, 10:38 PM
-------- is working on a plug and play electronic cruise,
he told me maybe 60 days out.

bstroh59
08-22-2013, 07:56 PM
I got the Rostera cruise on my wife's F6 working. I did most everything the same as Pete and Barry in the early posts, so I appreciate their info. :bowdown: Here's a couple of things I did different:

1. I didn't use the relay switch for the brake "kill" switch and found that I could run a wire from the "Cold" pickup on the cruise to the back of the bike and get a true ground on the wire. The cold side coming from the rear wheel brake switch is on the front side of a solenoid under the seat, which didn't give me a full ground. If you pick up the wire that is after the solenoid that runs along the right frame, it will give you a true ground.

2. I also put on a clutch kill switch. (Part SW, CLUTCH CRUISE 35335-MG9-951) I ran a wire from the green wire (it's only about 10" long) that ends in the wire harness, to the clutch switch and then to a ground. Pretty simple and it kills the cruise control as soon as you touch the clutch. I think this is a little better then the over rev function.

3. I also bought the right controls (switches) off a wrecked bike and cannibalized the switches. When you do this, you have to swap the control body of the reverse switch and the cruise on/off switch. Careful when you pop these open, there's a little spring inside that loves to go flying. :lolup:

It was a lot of work, and not an easy add on, but I think my wife is going to love it.

jkelley
08-23-2013, 05:02 AM
Great job!!!!!!!

I am going to tackle mine this fall and may need to ask some questions if you don't mind.

BARRYS770
08-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Ask any questions that you want. That's what the forum is for.

Make sure that you have a factory service manual before you attempt this install.

I like the idea of the clutch switch as bstroh59 did, rather than the over-speed protection as I did. When I began this project (and believe me, it is a project), I wanted to invest as little $$ as possible, as I wasn't 100% sure that the install was going to be successful.

The Rostra cruise control switch is kind of small, so the Honda handle bar control would probably be the way to go if cost is not a factor. I will probably make these changes this winter. I have put several thousand miles on the bike with the Rostra control, so, at least I know the system works.

bstroh59
08-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I got the Rostera cruise on my wife's F6 working. I did most everything the same as Pete and Barry in the early posts, so I appreciate their info. :bowdown: Here's a couple of things I did different:

1. I didn't use the relay switch for the brake "kill" switch and found that I could run a wire from the "Cold" pickup on the cruise to the back of the bike and get a true ground on the wire. The cold side coming from the rear wheel brake switch is on the front side of a solenoid under the seat, which didn't give me a full ground. If you pick up the wire that is after the solenoid that runs along the right frame, it will give you a true ground.

2. I also put on a clutch kill switch. (Part SW, CLUTCH CRUISE 35335-MG9-951) I ran a wire from the green wire (it's only about 10" long) that ends in the wire harness, to the clutch switch and then to a ground. Pretty simple and it kills the cruise control as soon as you touch the clutch. I think this is a little better then the over rev function.

3. I also bought the right controls (switches) off a wrecked bike and cannibalized the switches. When you do this, you have to swap the control body of the reverse switch and the cruise on/off switch. Careful when you pop these open, there's a little spring inside that loves to go flying. :lolup:

It was a lot of work, and not an easy add on, but I think my wife is going to love it.

After 3 rides and a little over 400 miles........

1. First and foremost, the wife loves it!!!
2. I changed the gain to Extra Low from what Barry had. It still had a little bit of a surge, and changing this smoothed it out.

Taking a long trip next weekend, so we'll see how much it helps her on shoulder fatigue.

Dmoon64
10-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Regarding the brackets that need to be fabricated. Is there a template or diagram of some kind that can be used for the fabrication? I realize your guys have made this so if there is a price involved that would be understandable. If there is someone that can make one for a price that would be great as well!

Thanks.

Darryl

brickards
10-19-2013, 09:52 PM
just installed the Brake Away Cruise.

Started a thread with some pics on the Accessories forum

Green Hornet
10-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Breakaway works great... Until Pete finishes his cruise control

jkelley
10-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Breakaway works great... Until Pete finishes his cruise control

IS Pete still planning to release one? I was going to buy parts next week to start.

jkelley
11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Well as predicted by many the 2014's have nothing but a one color change so I broke down and ordered the parts to install cruise today.

For anyone interested I ordered the Rostra kit # 250-1223, and the pulse divider # 250-4379 from The Cruise Control Store. Getting these here saved me about $38.00 over Summit Racing. In total I will have a little over $320 in the major components. Everything is supposed to be in stock at both locations so as soon as they arrive the tear down and install will begin.....

Thanks to BARRYS770 for the list, and I am also going with the clutch Switch # 35335-MG9-951 as bstroh59 suggested.

photodiver
11-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Text with -------- Sunday, he said he would be getting a F6b in on Last Monday and would start making a cruise for it. Hopes to have it ready by Christmas.

BARRYS770
11-14-2013, 03:42 PM
jkelley: I posted Summit Racing as a "one-stop" shopping place for the parts that I used on my installation. You are correct to shop round for best price on the parts, as I did. Will you be using the Rostra control switch or a GoldWing throttle assembly? My intentions are to change my Rostra control over to a GW throttle assy. and to install the clutch switch. Good luck with your install.

Barry

jkelley
11-14-2013, 03:55 PM
jkelley: I posted Summit Racing as a "one-stop" shopping place for the parts that I used on my installation. You are correct to shop round for best price on the parts, as I did. Will you be using the Rostra control switch or a GoldWing throttle assembly? My intentions are to change my Rostra control over to a GW throttle assy. and to install the clutch switch. Good luck with your install.

Barry

Understood, the fact was that Summit did not have all of the components in stock or I probably would have used them. When searching I did find some better pricing and did not take the time for Summit to price match as I have done in the past. I use them for most of my vehicle builds so I am really happy with them shipping and matching prices. Like you I went with the Rostra control switch. Things may change in the future but I think it should work out fine. Now the big decision... Go ahead and tear it all down and paint it or get the cruise working and ride it? I would really like decent paint but I am not crazy about all the prep work and painting.

jkelley
11-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Regarding the brackets that need to be fabricated. Is there a template or diagram of some kind that can be used for the fabrication? I realize your guys have made this so if there is a price involved that would be understandable. If there is someone that can make one for a price that would be great as well!

Thanks.

Darryl

The brackets are really not that difficult but depend on where, and how you want the control unit mounted. Depending on your chosen location the bracket that comes with the unit can be bent, cut, welded as needed.
The bracket for the actual cable to the throttle body is as Barry did the dimensions are top hole = 5/16", Bottom hole (that fits over the lever arm) I went with 1/4" hole straight down .750"center to center from the top hole. For the cable mounting hole again I went with .250". This one is clocked about 4:30 and down 1.5" from the top mounting hole. (See Barry's picture.) I actually used a holly throttle arm from Summit as it already had the offset in it and mounted the carb stud Barry listed. I chopped off the threads and tig welded it to the bracket so nothing was sticking out the back side.
I also used .060 stock with an offset ( holly arm ) a star washer, and the stock nut. Now my weak point tying up the electrical connections. :shock:

For the Rostra cruise control switches I did not use a bracket, I Simply disassembled the switch housing and mounted it in the stock Goldwing location with some 4-40 screws, and ran the wires out of the right switch housing and down the handle bars inside the wire retainer that is already there. Snapped the cover back on and I think it looks great. I still need to seal the unit after testing though. Be sure you mount so that you don't interfere with the start switch......

RT59
11-20-2013, 08:28 PM
I have all of the parts needed to install Rostra cruise on my 6. The snow will be flying here soon and I'll have a few months of relatively snowy roads to take on the project.

I ordered most of my parts from Summit... The shipped to me from two different locations and charged me ten dollars to ship one item that retailed for 1.49... I am a bit disgusted

Hook
11-20-2013, 09:10 PM
This is my cruise control by Breakaway and I love mine :041::clap2::icon_biggrin::yes::motorcycle2:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/hooksup2/0315131612_zps880819a9.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/hooksup2/media/0315131612_zps880819a9.jpg.html)

jkelley
12-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Job done! Add me to the list of "have REAL cruise control".

Thanks to Barry!!!!!!! He was VERY helpful and for all the work and time he took to list the components and take the pictures. I doubt I could have done it without all of that information. And to bstroh59 for the clutch switch idea.

It was a major job, but I also took advantage of the down time to complete the disassembly of the bike and repaint it. And for someone like me that has never worked on a Goldwing I was amazed at the complexity and amount of all of the plastic parts. Not too sure I would want to do it again any time soon, but real happy with the outcome and getting the job done.

MichaelG
12-09-2013, 08:48 AM
It was a major job, but I also took advantage of the down time to complete the disassembly of the bike and repaint it.

Do I really have to be that guy...that has to post...:postpics:

If you repainted the bike, let's see the pics. :icon_mrgreen:

jkelley
12-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Do I really have to be that guy...that has to post...:postpics:

If you repainted the bike, let's see the pics. :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry Miles, nothing yet. I plan to post pics but just completed the job last night, and we have nothing but rain forecast for most of the week.

The Black Pearl really shows well in the sunlight and I will get some the first chance I get.

jkelley
12-16-2013, 06:04 AM

Rode about 100 Miles Yesterday, Cruise works perfectly!

Hornblower
12-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Rode about 100 Miles Yesterday, Cruise works perfectly!

I have the Go Cruise (aluminum model) as well and, as far as mechanical throttle locks are concerned, this one works well. I do have a pretty serious concern about this type of cruise control however which is this...due to the spring return of the throttle, we are not accustomed to having to forcibly close the throttle. In a panic situation, will you have the presence of mind to do that? No doubt, you will hit the brakes but unless you force the throttle closed, the engine will continue to propel you forward thus making your braking less effective. I experienced this returning from Daytona when a car suddenly cut me off on I-95 and I had only an instant to respond. I escaped but realized the deficiency of a throttle lock like the Go Cruise. Just sayin'...

kwkride
12-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I have the Go Cruise (aluminum model) as well and, as far as mechanical throttle locks are concerned, this one works well. I do have a pretty serious concern about this type of cruise control however which is this...due to the spring return of the throttle, we are not accustomed to having to forcibly close the throttle. In a panic situation, will you have the presence of mind to do that? No doubt, you will hit the brakes but unless you force the throttle closed, the engine will continue to propel you forward thus making your braking less effective. I experienced this returning from Daytona when a car suddenly cut me off on I-95 and I had only an instant to respond. I escaped but realized the deficiency of a throttle lock like the Go Cruise. Just sayin'...

I understand your thought, but when I am making a quick stop I also pull in the clutch.

jkelley
12-16-2013, 10:30 AM

I had simply not removed the "friction throttle lock" go cruise or what ever. I did not like any of them. I had the break away as well and all of them in my opinion while useful on a flat road to get your hand free for a limited time were useless here in the mountains and as you said "could" cause issues in some circumstances. If you look at the switches on the control housing I have actually as a few others installed REAL cruise control!
this is the only true solution thus far to my issue of wanting cruise control on this otherwise great bike.

Hornblower
12-16-2013, 10:35 AM
I understand your thought, but when I am making a quick stop I also pull in the clutch.

That's a good point and I think I would normally do that as well. In the particular incident I experienced, I honestly don't remember what I did with the clutch. Clearly, I didn't pull it in fast enough because I remember the engine pulling for a split second more than I wanted and it almost got me in trouble.

Hornblower
12-16-2013, 10:40 AM
I had simply not removed the "friction throttle lock" go cruise or what ever. I did not like any of them. I had the break away as well and all of them in my opinion while useful on a flat road to get your hand free for a limited time were useless here in the mountains and as you said "could" cause issues in some circumstances. If you look at the switches on the control housing I have actually as a few others installed REAL cruise control!
this is the only true solution thus far to my issue of wanting cruise control on this otherwise great bike.

OOPS! I assumed too much from your pic. If I had looked back over the thread, I would see that you went with Rostra. Got to pay more attention :banghead:

Flat6
02-14-2014, 08:44 PM
BARRYS770;

Gain: low
Pulses/Mile: 19,300
Engine/set up: 4 cylinder low
VSS Source: Square wave
Tranmission: Manual
Control Sw: Open

Great job, and good info. I installed this same unit on my Rune, and am really pleased with it.
Curious why you set the "engine/set up" at 4 cylinder instead of 6.
What is the minimum speed you can set with the pulses/mile setting at 19,300 ?
Thanks.

BARRYS770
02-15-2014, 10:46 AM
BARRYS770;

Great job, and good info. I installed this same unit on my Rune, and am really pleased with it.
Thanks.

When I started this project, there wasn't any information available for installing a cruise control on the F6B. I had installed an Audiovox unit on an ST1300 and the Rostra unit on a couple of Street Rods, so I had somewhat of an idea as to what was ahead of me. Even though I was familiar with the cruise control units and confident that it could be made to work, I knew from the beginning that this was going to be an experiment that might not work out.

I arrived at the settings primarily by experimenting with different settings. The 6 cylinder setting made the bike surge once the cruise was engauged. So, I set it 4 cylinder, low which eliminated the surging while the cruise was set. My after further testing, I settled on the following settings;

Gain: Very Low
Pulses/mile: 19,300
Engine/ Set up: 4 cylinder Low
VSS: Square Wave
Transmission: Manual
Control Switch: Open

BARRYS770
02-15-2014, 10:49 AM
BARRYS770;

Thanks.

I'm not sure of the actual "minimum" speed that the unit will set at. I've set it at 30 mph, but never tried it below that speed.

Barry

Flat6
02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks Barry, that info will help me fine tune mine.

Arkf6bRider
02-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Did anyone have and aftermarket cruise control installed yet? I just can not have a bike without it. But I just love this bike. AAAHHHHHH just put my go cruise on today. Very simple to install and worked perfect.

CoCoKola
02-16-2014, 04:44 PM
so what has been released for a real electric cruise that I can buy and install? did I sleep through an announcement?

jkelley
02-17-2014, 06:08 AM
so what has been released for a real electric cruise that I can buy and install? did I sleep through an announcement?

MC Cruise has a unit out for a little less than 1K, or as stated here you can use the Rostra unit which is much cheaper but you will have to make up brackets. Both will require a lot of labor.

dickiedeals
02-17-2014, 09:11 AM
MC Cruise has a unit out for a little less than 1K, or as stated here you can use the Rostra unit which is much cheaper but you will have to make up brackets. Both will require a lot of labor.

So why doesn't someone with the means and knowhow make these brackets and sell them to fellow F6B riders for a fair price....Just sayin.....Dickie:duck:

jkelley
02-17-2014, 09:23 AM
So why doesn't someone with the means and knowhow make these brackets and sell them to fellow F6B riders for a fair price....Just sayin.....Dickie:duck:

All variable, depending on exactly where and how you want the control box mounted, and your choice of throttle hook up. If you have heated grips or not the location can be different.

Same with the switches, some want them on the left, others like me on the right. Not that hard to do. If you have the skills to tear the bike down and do the electrical I would think making the brackets would be pretty simple. I think the MC Cruise does include them. It also looks like they have simplified the electrical work?

alscott42
03-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Is the Throttlemeister east to install and adjust?

Thommoperth
05-25-2014, 10:40 PM
I have fitted a MC cruise and just love it, it comes complete with brackets and a very comprehensive set of instructions, by just following the instruction I was able to do this by myself, took about 18 hrs but I took my time and read the instruction very carefully and often.
MC told me a competent Honda mech a can do them in about 5 hrs.
It works like a treat, it has not faulted on my 8,000 km trip around Aust so far.

Kurare79
06-05-2014, 02:28 PM
I ordered my -------- yesterday.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0163/1038/products/mcs6080opt_grande.JPG?v=1392093662

Will take some time, till it hits germany from australia, but as soon as i have it installed, i will let you know about my experience with this system.

Ixol Phaane
06-05-2014, 04:19 PM
I bought the new Aluminum go cruise! works good for me .

+1 :icon_biggrin:

F6B1911
06-05-2014, 06:34 PM
I ordered the Kaoko well over a month ago, just got an email from Twisted Throttle, it shipped today.
I have been using the Caterpillar O-Rings, they do give some resistance to the return spring, but not quite the same as a throttle lock type device.
After I get it installed, I'll follow up and let you know how it works.

jdurbin
06-05-2014, 06:34 PM
I got my Omni Cruise last week. Fits on heated grips with Kuryakyn grips. Works surprisingly well.

Tbone56
06-05-2014, 08:50 PM
+1 :icon_biggrin:

Don't really use cruise a lot, but the Go Cruise works for me.

fast eddie
06-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Let us know if you like the kaoko as much as I do. Have it on for over 2 months 4000 miles I think its a great addition to a fantastic bike. Should have bought it sooner.

Scotrod
06-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Let us know if you like the kaoko as much as I do. Have it on for over 2 months 4000 miles I think its a great addition to a fantastic bike. Should have bought it sooner.

I like mine! :yes:

Able to make micro-adjustments to the throttle while riding and EZ to roll on-off.

GNW
06-09-2014, 10:55 AM
You got to love it !!
Small learning curve and it's all good !!
Took a little over 3 weeks to get it, but worth the wait.

captdj
06-09-2014, 02:09 PM
I ordered my -------- yesterday.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0163/1038/products/mcs6080opt_grande.JPG?v=1392093662

Will take some time, till it hits germany from australia, but as soon as i have it installed, i will let you know about my experience with this system.

Kuare, got any feedback, review on that MC Cruise? --DJH

Kurare79
06-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Kuare, got any feedback, review on that MC Cruise? --DJH

Hi CaptDJ,

as i look at the tracking service, i see that my package arrived yesterday in my town. Next step would be the german customs. They will send me a letter that i can catch it and pay the german tax fees (19%)... but this little step may take up to a week :-(

As soon as i have it and can get it installed, i'll let you know!

Greetings!

Kurare79
06-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Update: I've got the package. Appointment for installation at my dealer will be on Tuesday 17th. He can't say how much time will be needed, because he never installed a cruise control in a motorcycle before (and i don't know even any guy having something like this in a motorcycle). I think on Saturday 21st i should be able to tell you more.

royr
06-13-2014, 04:50 AM
Looking forward to your review. Any info you can provide on the install would be helpful also.

F6B1911
06-13-2014, 05:49 AM
I ordered the Kaoko well over a month ago, just got an email that it shipped today.
I have been using the Caterpillar O-Rings, they do give some resistance to the return spring, but not quite the same as a throttle lock type device.
After I get it installed, I'll follow up and let you know how it works.

....Had a bit of a delay getting this installed, the product I received was a used RMA product. It was an incomplete product and not usable.
I think they just repackaged it and sent it out. The package top had 10 staple holes in each corner, apparently they opened it at least 5 times hoping to get the right parts in the package. So I did not feel comfortable trying to get that resolved.

So I did a search and purchased it elsewhere, this one came in brand new in a brand new package.
The install went much easier than I anticipated, the existing handlebar weight came out without issue, just had to make sure the two tabs were depressed at the same time. I did have to use the existing screw that holds on the bar end weight to pull the assembly out of the handlebar.

Initially I picked up a screwdriver and was going to use that to remove the bar end weight screw, but before I damaged anything, I thought it may be wise to use a # 3 Phillips bit.
I put a # 3 Phillips impact bit into my screw gun, and it came out perfectly without any damage to the screw. I'd highly recommend the larger bit if you ever need to remove the bar end weight screws.

All in all, the install was rather simple, it took all of about 5 minutes.
And yes, it works just as I had hoped.

Scotrod
06-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Yup,, removing the end-weight is the 'hard' part,,, (Great pic of the 2 little 'tabs' on the weight that must be disengaged from slots in the bars to remove)
Installing the Kaoko is super EZ,,,

MOJO
06-13-2014, 01:44 PM
You got to love it !!
Small learning curve and it's all good !!
Took a little over 3 weeks to get it, but worth the wait.

Which model number for F6B as i did not see it listed on their website??? Works with heated grips?
Thanks

F6B1911
06-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Which model number for F6B as i did not see it listed on their website??? Works with heated grips?
Thanks

HND31, But I do not know if it does or does not work with heated handgrips.
Here's the link: Kaoko F6B (http://www.kaoko.com/c364/F6B-2013-.aspx)

Scotrod
06-13-2014, 07:32 PM
99.9% sure, by design, any Kaoko will work w/heated grips.

fast eddie
06-14-2014, 09:01 AM
100 % sure it will work :icon_biggrin:

Seabee
06-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Mc cruise makes a great one, little expensive, bUt you get what you pay for...I have one one on my 05 ST and works great......

jaygollner
06-16-2014, 08:24 PM
What does R 750.77 mean in dollars, that's the price listed.

F6B1911
06-16-2014, 09:26 PM

The currency in South Africa is the Rand.
You can find currency converters all over the web, if you do the conversion, take into consideration the shipping from South Africa is probably a bit high.
Don't think Kaoko will sell direct, there are several retailers here in the US.
I had an issue with a purchase at Twisted Throttle, see my entry up a bit, if you purchase from them, I would suggest you verify you are ordering a new product.

Rigsby
06-22-2014, 12:43 AM
Having trouble rolling back the rubber grip on heated grip model any suggestions? Thanks in advance

mercator1
06-24-2014, 08:17 PM

Looks like $70 or so.

Kurare79
07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
My Honda mechanic finally made it to install the -------- Cruise Control just a day before the start of our riding tour to Croatia with the F6B. I can handle only a coffee machine, so i truly wasn't the right man to install something like this onto the bike.

I used the System about 700 miles on the Highway and about 450 miles on rural roads so far. The system works exactly the same way like in cars with the three known buttons:

1. SET/ACC
2. RES/DEC
3. ON/OFF

It holds exactly the speed you have set and accelerates or lowers the torque if going uphill or downhill for example. Of course, like in a car, when going downhill the capabilities of the engine break are limited and you may have to break yourself if it's to steep.

When pulling the break or changing a gear the cruise control is going into "standby". You can push "Resume" and it goes to the previously set speed.

In my opinion it does a very good job and is a big benefit for comfort.

There is only a little thing that could be optimized:
Maybe the speed is set to 80km/h, i have to break down to 50km/h and then i push the "Resume"-button -> There is a little jerk going through the bike. The same when i push the Off-Button. The Cruise Controll immediately shuts off and the engine break works. To avoid this you have to give a little bit of Gas and hold it and then push the off-Button. It's no big deal, you just have to know about that.

Under the bottom line: I can recommend the -------- and i would definetly buy it again for the F6B.

CheckpointChcky
07-03-2014, 05:34 PM
How far are you from Raleigh, NC? I'll come down and you can do mine, OK? Or, the --------.....I forgot about that.

jkelley
07-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Good to know the results on the MC cruise. I hear the kit is complete including brackets.
The Rostra works great as well for 1/3rd the price but you do have to do much more in electrical, and make your own brackets which may be a deal breaker for some. At least there are options for real cruise control!

DareDevil
07-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Bike should hold perfect going up or down hills go one turn in on servo cable should be perfect.

My Honda mechanic finally made it to install the -------- Cruise Control just a day before the start of our riding tour to Croatia with the F6B. I can handle only a coffee machine, so i truly wasn't the right man to install something like this onto the bike.

I used the System about 700 miles on the Highway and about 450 miles on rural roads so far. The system works exactly the same way like in cars with the three known buttons:

1. SET/ACC
2. RES/DEC
3. ON/OFF

It holds exactly the speed you have set and accelerates or lowers the torque if going uphill or downhill for example. Of course, like in a car, when going downhill the capabilities of the engine break are limited and you may have to break yourself if it's to steep.

When pulling the break or changing a gear the cruise control is going into "standby". You can push "Resume" and it goes to the previously set speed.

Maybe the speed is set to 80km/h, i have to break down to 50km/h and then i push the "Resume"-button -> There is a little jerk going through the bike. The same when i push the Off-Button. The Cruise Controll immediately shuts off and the engine break works. To avoid this you have to give a little bit of Gas and hold it and then push the off-Button. It's no big deal, you just have to know about that.

Under the bottom line: I can recommend the -------- and i would definetly buy it again for the F6B.

Kurare79
07-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Thank you for this advice, DareDevil! Will do so tomorrow.

XKnight
07-10-2014, 07:17 PM
I was going to get either a Throttle Meister or Breakaway Cruise (had this on my VTX and it worked great), then remembered that I had a Go Cruise from another bike. Did some searching and found it today in my garage. Put in on and took a ride and it works perfectly on the F6. I just need something to use when I want to rest my hand on the highway for a few seconds/minutes and for $18 this can't be beat. It works far better on the F6 for some reason versus the Harley I previously tried it on.

DareDevil
07-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Thank you for this advice, DareDevil! Will do so tomorrow.

No problem mine did the same thing after I installed it cable was one turn to tight.

Hook
07-11-2014, 11:13 PM
We still love you Pete! :icon_mrgreen:See you in a couple of weeks :icon_biggrin:

Hook
07-11-2014, 11:18 PM
I put the Breakaway on my bike. My setup works great and I would not settle for anything less...Yes its $180. +but it works you set it and for get it:yes:

Dave Ritsema
09-01-2014, 12:05 PM
I got my Omni Cruise last week. Fits on heated grips with Kuryakyn grips. Works surprisingly well.

Did you purchase the oversize rubber ring to accomodate the Kuryakyn heated grip covers?

~BC~
09-13-2014, 08:20 AM

From what I understand letting go of the throttle turns the engine off, and somewhere in the -------- instructions it says the cruise should hold the engine open by 100RPM when not in use to avoid this jerk.

I also had to play with the cable adjustment to avoid this.

terrydj
03-27-2015, 03:13 AM

1. SET/ACC
2. RES/DEC
3. ON/OFF

Mate great write up and that Photo is sweet

It looks like it was made to fit their :yes: :icon_cool:

Kurare79
03-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Thank you, Terry! :clap2: I am happy that i had the change to be helpful somehow. -------- is in your wonderful country, so shipping fees shouldn't be too high.

DeanB
08-04-2020, 05:46 PM
Great minds think alike it seems :clap2: did you pickup the speed pulse direct from the bike or did you have to use a multiplier/divider what are your DIP settings

We went side ways with the mount allows for the heated grip switches

Making this part for the throttle body

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/Cruise/file_zpsc0ee187d.jpg

Not fully fitted needs a 7mm thread extender

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/Cruise/file_zps69eecd11.jpg

Cable routes around the front

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/Cruise/file_zps9d5e2a17.jpg
Hi All, sorry to revive such an old post, but does anyone here happen to have the pics in this post saved? I'm hoping to tackle the rostra install in my 2014 this fall. I'm trying to gather up as much info I can find to be prepared. Any info you have would appreciated.
Thanks,
Dean

rdbonds
08-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Dean,

Happy to help. I'm coming up on my next air filter change soon. I'll be happy to pull the air box out while I'm in and grab a few photos for you of the linkage setup I used. I'll also grab some photos of how I mounted the box itself, and will log the DIP settings I arrived at. They vary a bit from others published in threads. That way you can try the others out there as well as the ones I landed on and see what works best for you.

Cheers!

DeanB
08-14-2020, 08:36 AM
Hi Russell, I bought a used 08 GW throttle body for the lost motion parts. I may not use it after I see how you've mounted yours. I'm also going to order the right handlebar switch assembly for the +15 .From pictures I've seen, I'd say the connector is different. Did you use the original connector from the bike, then direct connect the wires used for the cruise to the rostra wires? Where is the connector located roughly?
I'm ordering up stuff, and trying to prepare for the installation best I can in my mind. Probably won't start into it until riding season slows down up here.
Thanks again,
Dean

shortleg0521
08-15-2020, 08:12 PM
Ok here it comes...

It can not be done because the F6B has a different wiring harness,

rdbonds
08-16-2020, 10:33 AM
DeanB - If you have the 08 full wing throttle body, that will be easier. It already has the cruise cam to hook to.

The cable cam closest to the throttle body is the one for the throttle, and the one outer is the cruise. On the F6b, it has the throttle cam but not the cruise cam. It DOES still have the dowel cast into the throttle cam, which is the "finger" that the cruise cam catches on to make the throttle move. That dowel is what I used to hook to. I simply drilled the dowel, slid the ring on the end of the cruise cable onto that dowel and pinned it in place through the newly drilled hole. Our F6b throttle body already has the bracket to hold the cruise cable sheathing, too...so mounting it all was really simple.

The throttle body had to be removed even to do it the way I did (to drill the dowel), so it'd just super easy just to pop on the 08 throttle body you have and save the trouble.

rdbonds
10-03-2020, 07:45 PM
So, today I had a chance to do the air filter, and grabbed those photos. This is where I mounted the Rostra Cruise control box a few years ago when I put it in. I'm using the bracket that was originally used for the grip heater connections. Those are now located further to the right.

rdbonds
10-03-2020, 07:50 PM
DeanB had asked about the linkage mounting. Here's the factory 2014 F6b throttle body. Note that on the lower section in the upper left, the bracket for mounting the cruise control cable jacket (the black part that does not move) is already there. Simply threading one of the provided nuts onto the "jacket" of the cable, setting it in the provided bracket, and threading on a 2nd nut to sandwich the bracket provides an easy mount.

If you look lower on the left, you can see the peg on the throttle came that I connected the inner throttle cable (the wire rope that moves) to.

rdbonds
10-03-2020, 07:56 PM
DeanB had also asked about where I attached the cruise cable itself.

Here's a close-up of the peg that I drilled. It appears to be a stop on the throttle cam that is meant to "catch" the cruise cam on full wings. In our case, the outer floating cruise cam is not present. I simply drilled this peg with a ~1/6" hole, slid the provided Rostra end onto the peg, then put a cotter pin through the new hole to hold it in place. I still think that using a full wing throttle body, which has the cruise cam on it already, is the preferred method, but this seems to work just fine.